3/30/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8819

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

Messages

1a.

replacing Filemaker in Lion

Posted by: "caribsea@bellsouth.net" caribsea@bellsouth.net   caribsea@bellsouth.net

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:20 am (PDT)



Has anyone on this list using Filemaker found a database replacement when upgrading to Lion? I don't use FM nearly as much as I used to but have years of files I sometimes need to access. I'd rather not spend $299 to get FMP v.11 if I can find a free or less expensive app to let me open and edit the files.

Willi
iMac, now with Lion

1b.

Re: replacing Filemaker in Lion

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:04 am (PDT)




On Mar 30, 2012, at 7:20 AM, caribsea@bellsouth.net wrote:

> Has anyone on this list using Filemaker found a database replacement when upgrading to Lion? I don't use FM nearly as much as I used to but have years of files I sometimes need to access. I'd rather not spend $299 to get FMP v.11 if I can find a free or less expensive app to let me open and edit the files.

Look at Bento, also by Filemaker. It is $49.99 in the Mac App Store, and $49.00 at Filemaker, but you will get notice badges on the Mac App Store icon if you buy it through them.

I don't remember if there are restrictions on converting old FM files over to Bento, so read up at the FM site first. I don't remember if I had to convert the file over while in 10.6.8 or after I moved over to 10.7.

2a.

Re: ereader suggestions

Posted by: "Oneal Neumann" wardell.h.s@gmail.com   newalander

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:22 am (PDT)




> On 2012 March 26 (at 00:03) Jim Saklad wrote:
>
>> Thanx to all the respondents, especially Sarah, for their thoughts.
>>
>> … … …
>>
>> Cпаcибо. Oneal
>
> On behalf of the nonCyrillic-reading population here, and with extremely (48 years) rusty Russian...
>
> пожа́луйста Jim Saklad

Not sure what variation of 'please' [пожалуйста] you mean to convey, Jim. I can only imagine. Spelling (though) was almost spot-on.

My university Russian (one year) stuck with me far less than my highschool French (four years) and Latin (two years).

Perhaps a little of the former 'pour toi': De rien. Oneal

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3a.

Well, Lion is DLing to my Mac Pro

Posted by: "Jim" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   jimpurcell2001

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:04 am (PDT)



For good are bad I got my account problem straightened out and bought Lion. Now, if I can't use it or don't like it will I have to reinstall the poor little snow leopard or will there be a recover option OR will it be like the Linux trials that do not install?

Jim

3b.

Re: Well, Lion is DLing to my Mac Pro

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:12 am (PDT)



Firstly, you *must* take a backup. If this is a full bootable clone, so
much the better.

If you have a bootable clone, it is easy to restore your Mac from it.

If not, reinstall the old OS from the DVD. You might have to erase the boot
drive in order to do this as you are reverting to an older version so
again, you must have a backup to restore your user data from.

Otto

On 30 March 2012 18:04, Jim <oldtechie@wi.rr.com> wrote:

> For good are bad I got my account problem straightened out and bought
> Lion. Now, if I can't use it or don't like it will I have to reinstall the
> poor little snow leopard or will there be a recover option OR will it be
> like the Linux trials that do not install?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3c.

Re: Well, Lion is DLing to my Mac Pro

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:18 am (PDT)



Oh, and make sure you copy the 10.7 download somewhere *before* you attempt
the install. It will disappear when you run the install.

Others who have upgraded to 10.7 can give more info. I'm still on 10.5.

On 30 March 2012 19:12, Otto Nikolaus <otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Firstly, you *must* take a backup. If this is a full bootable clone, so
> much the better.
>
> If you have a bootable clone, it is easy to restore your Mac from it.
>
> If not, reinstall the old OS from the DVD. You might have to erase the
> boot drive in order to do this as you are reverting to an older version so
> again, you must have a backup to restore your user data from.
>
> Otto
>
> On 30 March 2012 18:04, Jim <oldtechie@wi.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> For good are bad I got my account problem straightened out and bought
>> Lion. Now, if I can't use it or don't like it will I have to reinstall the
>> poor little snow leopard or will there be a recover option OR will it be
>> like the Linux trials that do not install?
>>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3d.

Re: Well, Lion is DLing to my Mac Pro

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:26 am (PDT)



Good to hear you got your Apple ID straightened out.

Before you install it, move a copy so it does not delete itself upon completion of the install.

Back up your docs and/or clone your whole 10.6 drive to an external drive.

There is no recover or going back to 10.6 if you don't like it. It is either a clean install or restoring the clone back to the drive.

One thing that is not mentions anywhere I can find. When you upgrade to 10.7, the database for Apple's Mail.app is changed and is no longer compatible with 10.6 or before. So have a back up of that if you think you might want to go back. As long as the email is not deleted from the server, it will re-download if you go back.

As long as your Mac is compatible and meets the minimum requirements, it will install. As far as I can tell all the Mac Pros qualify.

Brent

On Mar 30, 2012, at 10:04 AM, Jim wrote:

> For good are bad I got my account problem straightened out and bought Lion. Now, if I can't use it or don't like it will I have to reinstall the poor little snow leopard or will there be a recover option OR will it be like the Linux trials that do not install?

3e.

Re: Well, Lion is DLing to my Mac Pro

Posted by: "Jim" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   jimpurcell2001

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:58 am (PDT)



Brent,

Well, there's nothing that will respond to copying, just the dock item that says Install Lion. When I open that and get to selecting the drive to install to I chose the MAC HD of course, but it says that the drive is being used for Time Machine. I deted the copy of the backup files from that drive and it still says that it is the TM> drive.

And I have nothing of Lion that will copy anywhere. I sort of have a lion by the tail and can't let go. I wonder what would happen if I restarted.

Jim

> Before you install it, move a copy so it does not delete itself upon completion of the install.
> Back up your docs and/or clone your whole 10.6 drive to an external drive.
>
> There is no recover or going back to 10.6 if you don't like it. It is either a clean install or restoring the clone back to the drive.
> One thing that is not mentions anywhere I can find. When you upgrade to 10.7, the database for Apple's Mail.app is changed and is no longer compatible with 10.6 or before. So have a back up of that if you think you might want to go back. As long as the email is not deleted from the server, it will re-download if you go back.

3f.

Re: Well, Lion is DLing to my Mac Pro

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:17 pm (PDT)



>> Before you install it, move a copy so it does not delete itself upon completion of the install.
>
> Well, there's nothing that will respond to copying, just the dock item that says Install Lion.

If you right-click (or <Control><click>) on any application in the Dock, you should get a menu of choices, one of which is "Options" and one of the options is "Show in Finder". That should open a Finder window with the *actual* application highlighted. Make a copy of that and put it somewhere else safe.

>> Back up your docs and/or clone your whole 10.6 drive to an external drive.

No operating system upgrade should be undertaken without a complete backup of the system that is being replaced -- preferably (in my view) a *tested* bootable clone backup.

> When I open that and get to selecting the drive to install to I chose the MAC HD of course, but it says that the drive is being used for Time Machine.

Are you actually *using* Time Machine?
If so, what destination drive have you assigned for its "snapshots"?

The worst possible location to put the Time Machine backups of the main drive is ON the main drive.

If you are not intentionally making TM backups, you need to go into System Preferences and turn Time Machine backups OFF, and probably DEselect any destination drive.

> I deleted the copy of the backup files from that drive and it still says that it is the TM> drive.

If TM is operating and making snapshots to a drive, deleting the snapshots will not change the fact that the drive is assigned as the ime Machine destination.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

3g.

Re: Well, Lion is DLing to my Mac Pro

Posted by: "oldtechie" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   jimpurcell2001

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:36 pm (PDT)



Jim,

One of the problems with dealing with dynamic troubleshooting is that it;s a bit like trying to change the time on an Indy car when it's still in the race. Well, not quite, but I'm sure you get the point.

Here's where I am now, I have finally installed Lion. I have two accouints and the problem one is where I can't MT the trash. So I'm trying now to just delete the problem account, which is an ordinary account. From the 'good' acct. I unlock the account prefereences and try to select the bad so account so that I can delete it, but the unlooses a perpetual beach ball [rotating color wheel]. I don't know whether I am doing things in the wrong order or what. I want to delete the ordinary account, which has the problem trash bin.

It just occurred to me that maybe I should add a third account, so that I won't end up with only one, and that being and admin account. Does that sound like it might work>

TNX for your reply. I'm also having a difficult time with the new Lion Mail, it's a disaster, itsy bitty text and unlabeled icons. And my mouse cursor obliterates the pop up labels.

Jim

> >> Before you install it, move a copy so it does not delete itself upon completion of the install.
> >
> > Well, there's nothing that will respond to copying, just the dock item that says Install Lion.
>
> If you right-click (or <Control><click>) on any application in the Dock, you should get a menu of choices, one of which is "Options" and one of the options is "Show in Finder". That should open a Finder window with the *actual* application highlighted. Make a copy of that and put it somewhere else safe.
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3h.

Re: Well, Lion is DLing to my Mac Pro

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com   dalyjessup

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:37 pm (PDT)




On Mar 30, 2012, at 6:36 PM, oldtechie wrote:

> Here's where I am now, I have finally installed Lion. I have two accouints and the problem one is where I can't MT the trash.

What does "MT" mean?

Daly

3i.

Re: Well, Lion is DLing to my Mac Pro

Posted by: "Jim" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   jimpurcell2001

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:01 pm (PDT)



> What does "MT" mean?

As in 'empty', just short hand.

Jim

4a.

Re: issues in 10.7.3

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:31 am (PDT)



> I take that back, as long as the WiFi is on my Drobo is "attached", but not bootable, and that may be the clue. I had a system freeze when trying to access the Drobo, when the Drobo was asleep, today. PITA, the Drobo is slow to awaken.

I don't see how one could expect to be able to boot from a Wifi-connected drive.

Wifi isn't active until the machine is booted, so the drive isn't connected until post-boot....

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

4b.

Re: issues in 10.7.3

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:40 pm (PDT)




On Mar 30, 2012, at 11:31 AM, Jim Saklad wrote:

> > I take that back, as long as the WiFi is on my Drobo is "attached", but not bootable, and that may be the clue. I had a system freeze when trying to access the Drobo, when the Drobo was asleep, today. PITA, the Drobo is slow to awaken.
>
> I don't see how one could expect to be able to boot from a Wifi-connected drive.
>
> Wifi isn't active until the machine is booted, so the drive isn't connected until post-boot....

Perhaps, that is why I said it was not bootable.

Brent
5a.

can't seem to use my camera's card reader in my new MIni

Posted by: "Louise Stewart" veggie236@earthlink.net   pudgybulldog

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:26 pm (PDT)



Since getting a new Mini, going from a G4, I can't print to my HP Officejet 6000 printer from the Mini. Also, I can't use my card reader that's plugged into the hub to see my camera photos. I usually just put the memory card into the reader and it's a piece of cake, but it won't work. I can't find in the Mini's little booklet how to do this. It tells how to plug the camera into the computer, but I have no idea where my plug for that is.

Any ideas?

And I don't seem to be getting all of my emails in the Mini.

5b.

Re: can't seem to use my camera's card reader in my new MIni

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:30 pm (PDT)



Your USB hub should work as it did before, but have you tried plugging the
card reader directly into a USB port on the mini in case there's a USB
power issue?

Is the G4 still running (and receiving emails!)? Is Mail in the mini set up
with the *exact* same email account details?

Otto

On 30 March 2012 22:26, Louise Stewart <veggie236@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Since getting a new Mini, going from a G4, I can't print to my HP
> Officejet 6000 printer from the Mini. Also, I can't use my card reader
> that's plugged into the hub to see my camera photos. I usually just put the
> memory card into the reader and it's a piece of cake, but it won't work. I
> can't find in the Mini's little booklet how to do this. It tells how to
> plug the camera into the computer, but I have no idea where my plug for
> that is.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> And I don't seem to be getting all of my emails in the Mini.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5c.

Re: can't seem to use my camera's card reader in my new MIni

Posted by: "Louise Stewart" veggie236@earthlink.net   pudgybulldog

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:39 pm (PDT)



I haven't tried to plug in the card reader to the Mini. I'll see about that. And yes, the G4 is still running. I use a KVM switch to go between the two computers until I buy all the new software I need for the Mini. I still use my old Adobe software on the G4.

And it receives the same accts as the Mini. I nearly never check email on the G4, tho, since I'm so in love with the speed of the Mini.

On Mar 30, 2012, at 8:30 PM, Otto Nikolaus wrote:

> Your USB hub should work as it did before, but have you tried plugging the
> card reader directly into a USB port on the mini in case there's a USB
> power issue?
>
> Is the G4 still running (and receiving emails!)? Is Mail in the mini set up
> with the *exact* same email account details?
>
> Otto
>
> On 30 March 2012 22:26, Louise Stewart <veggie236@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Since getting a new Mini, going from a G4, I can't print to my HP
> > Officejet 6000 printer from the Mini. Also, I can't use my card reader
> > that's plugged into the hub to see my camera photos. I usually just put the
> > memory card into the reader and it's a piece of cake, but it won't work. I
> > can't find in the Mini's little booklet how to do this. It tells how to
> > plug the camera into the computer, but I have no idea where my plug for
> > that is.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > And I don't seem to be getting all of my emails in the Mini.
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6a.

Coming to you from Beautiful Downtown OS X Lion

Posted by: "Jim" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   jimpurcell2001

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:29 pm (PDT)



Message fonts are still to small in Mail. Other than that, Lion looks very nice.
I will write more later

Jim

6b.

Re: Coming to you from Beautiful Downtown OS X Lion

Posted by: "oldtechie" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   jimpurcell2001

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:35 pm (PDT)



I mis'spoke', I was writing from Safari in the Yahoo group. I couldn't enlarge the message text there but I could enlarge it when reading my own message.

Jim
6c.

Re: Coming to you from Beautiful Downtown OS X Lion

Posted by: "oldtechie" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   jimpurcell2001

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:50 pm (PDT)



> I mis'spoke', I was writing from Safari in the Yahoo group. I couldn't enlarge the message text there but I could enlarge it when reading my own message.

I can't believe how tiny the Mail program 'system' fonts are. I have to use a magnifying glass to see them. By system

I mean the text labels.

Jim

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6d.

Re: Coming to you from Beautiful Downtown OS X Lion

Posted by: "BLAINE F GORDON" pepsi440@me.com   blainegordon@ymail.com

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:57 pm (PDT)



I think they are to small also even looking through the reading part of my fairly new glasses. I do better reading them on my iPad.
Blaine (who is not a youngster by any stretch)

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 30, 2012, at 3:50 PM, oldtechie <oldtechie@wi.rr.com> wrote:

> > I mis'spoke', I was writing from Safari in the Yahoo group. I couldn't enlarge the message text there but I could enlarge it when reading my own message.
>
> I can't believe how tiny the Mail program 'system' fonts are. I have to use a magnifying glass to see them. By system
>
> I mean the text labels.
>
> Jim
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7.

Wanna waste $17+? Buy Driver!

Posted by: "HAL9000" jrswebhome@yahoo.com   jrswebhome

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:44 pm (PDT)



Will not play on an 27" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

8.

I have a recalcitrant Trashbin

Posted by: "Jim" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   jimpurcell2001

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:02 pm (PDT)



It won't let me MT it, this is on my Standard account. Only alternative I can think of is to delete that account. But that too is a problem. I am trying to delete it from the account where the Trash Bin is empty, and it is an admin acct. The problem trash bin is on the regular account. I have only the two accounts.

How do I delete that account? While in the admin acct. I clicked the lock and selected the acct I want to delete, then clicked the '-' [minus], resulting in a perpetual beach ball.

Am I doing something wrong>

Jim

9.

Changing AppleTV screensaver

Posted by: "Ken" avlisk@cox.net   avliska

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:27 pm (PDT)



When I got my AppleTV a month ago, I somehow set up one of my photo albums from iPhoto as a screensaver choice. Now, I've forgotten how I did that, and want to make another of my iPhoto albums the screensaver. How do I do this? Thanks.
Ken S.

10.

Chart of new Sandy Bridge Intel Chips

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:07 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

Here's a link to a chart of new "Sandy Bridge" Intel chips.

Also a short report on new Macs that could be appearing last week of
April.

The next Macs will likely have one of these Intel Ivy Bridge
processors, due in a month. by Jordan Kahn.

<http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/28/the-next-macs-will-likely-have-one-of-these-intel-ivy-bridge-processors-due-in-a-month/>

Denver Dan

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web