3/26/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8809

Mac Support Central

Messages In This Digest (9 Messages)

1a.
Re: Help me understand time machine From: Anna Larson
1b.
Re: Help me understand time machine From: James Robertson
1c.
Re: Help me understand time machine From: Jim Saklad
2a.
Re: Flashback Analysis From: Randy B. Singer
2b.
Re: Flashback Analysis From: Earle Jones
3a.
Re: How do I get rid of a wireless mooch? From: bill wisse
4a.
Re: ebook suggestions From: Oneal Neumann
4b.
Re: ebook suggestions From: Jim Saklad
5.
I don't think I'm getting all my emails. From: Louise Stewart

Messages

1a.

Re: Help me understand time machine

Posted by: "Anna Larson" pix@maksimo.de   yovard@ymail.com

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:29 pm (PDT)




On 25.03.2012, at 15:14, Tod Hopkins wrote:

> [STEP 1]
>> In the Finder window that Time Machine opens over the star field, type the filename in the search field in the upper-right corner.

As Jim Robertson and I have been saying, this step (alone) does not work.

> [STEP 2]
>> Use the arrows and the timeline along the right edge of your screen to browse through the Time Machine backups. Your search is performed in every window.

So that's the decisive trick then! I originally thought it was supposed to be enough to just do step 1. Thanks for clarifying.

It seems we have to be patent and BROWSE THROUGH THE TIME MACHINE BACKUPS until the file is found (= step 2). That's cumbersome. I'm having 37 windows now in the Time Machine star field view. So theoretically I might have to go through all the 37 windows if I'm looking for an older file. Is that correct?

>
> However (…) Time Machine is highly context sensitive. If you run a normal Spotlight search for the file, and then run Time Machine while in the Spotlight window, TM will run a full search through all of Time Machine.

No, this does not work for me. Are you on Lion? Maybe Time Machine in Lion is slightly different than in OS 10.6.8. -- What about you Jim Robertson? What system version are you using?

> Actually, this is more or less how Time Machine is supposed to work.

Exactly! That's how I thought it was supposed to work, but obviously STEP 2 (see above) is necessary to find an older file.

> You can approach it two ways. If you search within TM, then it searches one backup at a time.

Agree. That's how it works for me.

> If you enable TM while focused on an app or folder, it searches backups for that app or folder through time.

Unfortunately that does NOT work for Jim Robertson and me (in 10.6.8).

>
> Now, if you use Spotlight's "Search All Files" function as Anna suggests,

I never suggested doing that. Jim Robertson could not find the file with Time Machine and was not sure if it was still on the backup disk. I told him to use an application called "Find Any File" (<http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/30079/find-any-file>)

to verify that the file is still there and has not been deleted by TM.

> [Now, if you use Spotlight's "Search All Files" function as Anna suggests,]
> then Spotlight searches everything on the machine including files that it normally ignores, which includes the Time Machine backup directories (and all the rest of your system folders).

Perhaps this works in Lion, definitely not in Snow Leopard. In order to verify this statement though I would have to re-build the Spotlight index for the backup disk and that would take some time; I don't want to waste too much time on this issue. Anyway, right now Spotlight does not find the file on the backup disk.

> In this case, TM is not directly involved. It's just a blanket search.

I thought TM were never directly involved when it comes to searching; I thought TM always depends on some sort of a *Spotlight index*; it doesn't make any difference if you begin the search in TM by entering text in the TM search field; it's always Spotlight that is doing the search (in the background). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anna

> ---------
> On Mar 24, 2012, at 11:06 AM, James Robertson wrote:
>
>> There's a nice little tutorial on Macworld's website in the last few days that discusses exactly how to find deleted items using Time Machine. I figured I should try this exercise, so I created a two-sentence file in Pages, gave the file a name I knew would be unique, waited until the next hourly Time Machine Backup had occurred, then deleted the file.
>>
>> A few hours later, I set out to find the file. I thought I'd need to remember where it had been saved and crank back through my Time Machine backups one at a time, looking at that folder in a Finder window until the file's icon and/or name appeared. However, Time Machine is much smarter than that. All I really needed to do was enter Time Machine with a Finder window open, type the filename into the search box in the upper right corner of the window, and Time Machine scrolled back immediately to the appropriate hourly backup. Even better, I could enter a text string from the file contents (in quotes) in the Finder's search window and Time Machine would scroll right back to the same location!
>>
>> The only niggle I could uncover with this was that, in Time Machine, when I'd Quick Look the file I'd found, it wouldn't glide open, oozing oh-so-smoothly from filename to full page view - it just jumped up on the screen (my 2011 quad-core i7 did a bit better with the eye candy than did my 2008 Mac Pro, but that was still a bit of a surprise).
>>
>> HOWEVER:
>>
>> Today, I went back and tried to find the same file again and was surprised that I couldn't. Is this because the file only existed on my Mac for about 2 hours, and hourly backups are only saved for a day? If so, that seems like a huge hole in the backup architecture.
>>
>> Thanks so much,
>>
>> --
>> Jim Robertson

1b.

Re: Help me understand time machine

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:15 pm (PDT)




On Mar 25, 2012, at 3:29 PM, Anna Larson wrote:

> It seems we have to be patent and BROWSE THROUGH THE TIME MACHINE BACKUPS until the file is found (= step 2). That's cumbersome. I'm having 37 windows now in the Time Machine star field view. So theoretically I might have to go through all the 37 windows if I'm looking for an older file. Is that correct?
>
Actually (I'm on Lion, by the way), it's not QUITE that cumbersome. If I use a Spotlight Find File window, type a portion of or the exact name of the file I'm seeking, then activate Time Machine by clicking its dock icon, once Time Machine opens it either speeds through the backups from latest to the newest that contains the file I've deleted. I don't need to look at each backup one by one.

I've sent a question to the developer of "Find Any File" regarding whether it can be used to search within Time Machine backups. I'd be a bit nervous about mucking around in there, fearing that I might break links or confuse permissions that enable the backups to function correctly.

--
Jim Robertson

1c.

Re: Help me understand time machine

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:30 pm (PDT)



>> However (…) Time Machine is highly context sensitive. If you run a normal Spotlight search for the file, and then run Time Machine while in the Spotlight window, TM will run a full search through all of Time Machine.
>
> No, this does not work for me. Are you on Lion? Maybe Time Machine in Lion is slightly different than in OS 10.6.8. -- What about you Jim Robertson? What system version are you using?

I exclude Time Machine backups from my Spotlight indexing.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

2a.

Re: Flashback Analysis

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:37 pm (PDT)




On Mar 25, 2012, at 2:54 PM, James Robertson wrote:

> That's not true in the Healthcare space. For example, Kaiser
> Permanente's secure remote access to it electronic medical record
> system is built on Java. I'm aware of three separate Health Care
> Systems who build their remote access to the premier online medical
> education textbook (UpToDate, from Harvard's Burton Rose) in Java.

Okay...in that case it will take you about 5 seconds to re-enable
Java when you want to go to one of those sites.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

2b.

Re: Flashback Analysis

Posted by: "Earle Jones" earle.jones@comcast.net   earlejones501

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:03 pm (PDT)




On Mar 25, 12, at 4:33 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

>
> On Mar 25, 2012, at 2:54 PM, James Robertson wrote:
>
> > That's not true in the Healthcare space. For example, Kaiser
> > Permanente's secure remote access to it electronic medical record
> > system is built on Java. I'm aware of three separate Health Care
> > Systems who build their remote access to the premier online medical
> > education textbook (UpToDate, from Harvard's Burton Rose) in Java.

*
Likewise: Charles Schwab's "StreetSmart" (Portfolio Tracking and Management) for Mac is built on Java.

earle
*
_______________________
Earle Jones 
501 Portola Road #8008
Portola Valley CA 94028
Home: 650-424-4362
Cell: 650-269-0035
earle.jones@comcast.net

3a.

Re: How do I get rid of a wireless mooch?

Posted by: "bill wisse" paulinemobill@gmail.com   billwisse

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:24 pm (PDT)



My Shared list shows a "new-host". Info shows this as a PC server. How
can I tell what or who this is?

Is there some way to disconnect it?

John

As I said , it could be a printer. Have you got a wireless printer at all?

BillW

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

Re: ebook suggestions

Posted by: "Oneal Neumann" wardell.h.s@gmail.com   newalander

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:29 pm (PDT)




> On 2012 March 21 (at 17:24) Sarah Peters wrote:
>
> You asked in your submission if you can use your laptop as an ebook and the answer is yes.
>
> There are apps for both Amazon's Kindle (from the App store or their website) and Barnes & Noble's Nook (from its website) that enable you to read books on your laptop, no doubt there are others, but I have no experience of others. iBooks is not available for OS X and the selection of nonmainstream literature from Apple is pretty poor at this point any way.
>
> I have a Nook (a gift, not my personal choice --I would have chosen a Kindle) which I use for fiction, but I also use the Kindle app on my Apple products. I have found Amazon has a much better selection of nonfiction books available in digital format than Barnes & Noble, and I like the ability to have two windows open and to take notes. As mentioned in another post, the interface with B&N leaves more than a little to be desired --Amazon is much easier to to deal with on almost any level.
>
> For some reason I find it easier to read for research on my laptop --regardless of whether I want to take notes-- whereas I like my ebook for recreational reading. Depending on where you want to do you reading, your laptop may suffice, but there are definite advantages to having an dedicated ebook that it very portable, has a nice long battery and can be read in varying light conditions.
>
> I too will be in Europe for a big chunk of the summer --I will be taking my Nook and my Macbook Air as I have both recreational and research reading that I want to do.
>
> Good luck with your decision and have fun in Europe. Sarah.
>

First of all, my bad re referring to 'ereaders' as 'ebooks'. Should’ve known better.

Thanx to all the respondents, especially Sarah, for their thoughts.

A lot of thumbsup for Kindle, so it’s a thought. KOBO is available here in Canada. Is there anyone with experience with it?

Any idea what (other) ereaders are available in Europe.

Cпаcибо. Oneal

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4b.

Re: ebook suggestions

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:03 pm (PDT)



> Thanx to all the respondents, especially Sarah, for their thoughts.
>
> A lot of thumbsup for Kindle, so it’s a thought. KOBO is available here in Canada. Is there anyone with experience with it?
>
> Cпаcибо. Oneal

On behalf of the non-Cyrillic-reading population here, and with extremely (48 years) rusty Russian...

пожа́луйста

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

5.

I don't think I'm getting all my emails.

Posted by: "Louise Stewart" veggie236@earthlink.net   pudgybulldog

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:49 am (PDT)



Sorry to be a bother, but I sent this a few days ago and haven't gotten any suggestions. This continues to be an ongoing problem. Or, maybe people DID respond but I didn't get the emails. I only had 9 emails between last night and this morning, whereas normally I would have maybe 25 or 30. Ideas? I've sent several emails to people I KNOW would respond, but they haven't, and I don't know how to solve this problem of seeming not to receive all of my emails. Is this even possible?

++++++++++++++++++

About 3 wks ago I switched do a Mini from my G4 and use the Mail email program I've used for years. I've noticed in the past several days that I seem to be getting far fewer emails than I normally do. I usually get over 300 a day and I'd guess now it's more like 100 or so. I have no idea why. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there something I can do to find out why that might be happening? I just can't see that suddenly the numbers would decrease that drastically for no apparently reason. Lots of my normal emails are from various groups I'm on. I haven't noticed that simply none of them are coming thru.

Louise
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web