3/31/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8820

Messages In This Digest (8 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: I have a recalcitrant Trashbin

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:35 pm (PDT)




On Mar 30, 2012, at 6:02 PM, Jim wrote:

> It won't let me MT it, this is on my Standard account.

Try this:

TrashIt! (free)
http://www.nonamescriptware.com/downloads-new/

If you double-click on TrashIt's program icon, it will force-delete
what is in your trash.
If you drop either a folder or file(s) onto TrashIt's program icon,
it will delete what you dropped on it, no matter where those files or
folders reside. (They don't have to be in the Trash can.)

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

2a.

Re: can't seem to use my camera's card reader in my new MIni

Posted by: "Louise Stewart" veggie236@earthlink.net   pudgybulldog

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:40 pm (PDT)



Plugged the reader into the Mini and it opens in iPhoto and retardo here can't figure out how to use it. Why isn't there a "save as" so I can save photos to my desktop????

On Mar 30, 2012, at 8:38 PM, Louise Stewart wrote:

> I haven't tried to plug in the card reader to the Mini. I'll see about that. And yes, the G4 is still running. I use a KVM switch to go between the two computers until I buy all the new software I need for the Mini. I still use my old Adobe software on the G4.
>
> And it receives the same accts as the Mini. I nearly never check email on the G4, tho, since I'm so in love with the speed of the Mini.
>
>
> On Mar 30, 2012, at 8:30 PM, Otto Nikolaus wrote:
>
>> Your USB hub should work as it did before, but have you tried plugging the
>> card reader directly into a USB port on the mini in case there's a USB
>> power issue?
>>
>> Is the G4 still running (and receiving emails!)? Is Mail in the mini set up
>> with the *exact* same email account details?
>>
>> Otto
>>
>> On 30 March 2012 22:26, Louise Stewart <veggie236@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Since getting a new Mini, going from a G4, I can't print to my HP
>>> Officejet 6000 printer from the Mini. Also, I can't use my card reader
>>> that's plugged into the hub to see my camera photos. I usually just put the
>>> memory card into the reader and it's a piece of cake, but it won't work. I
>>> can't find in the Mini's little booklet how to do this. It tells how to
>>> plug the camera into the computer, but I have no idea where my plug for
>>> that is.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> And I don't seem to be getting all of my emails in the Mini.
>>>
>>
>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>
>>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

2b.

Re: can't seem to use my camera's card reader in my new MIni

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:17 pm (PDT)



Open a window on the desktop, navigate to the card & reader, highlight and drag the photos to the desktop or another file. The photo files should be copied to the new location.

On Mar 30, 2012, at 7:40 PM, Louise Stewart wrote:

> Plugged the reader into the Mini and it opens in iPhoto and retardo here can't figure out how to use it. Why isn't there a "save as" so I can save photos to my desktop????
>
> On Mar 30, 2012, at 8:38 PM, Louise Stewart wrote:
>
> > I haven't tried to plug in the card reader to the Mini. I'll see about that. And yes, the G4 is still running. I use a KVM switch to go between the two computers until I buy all the new software I need for the Mini. I still use my old Adobe software on the G4.
> >
> > And it receives the same accts as the Mini. I nearly never check email on the G4, tho, since I'm so in love with the speed of the Mini.
> >
> >
> > On Mar 30, 2012, at 8:30 PM, Otto Nikolaus wrote:
> >
> >> Your USB hub should work as it did before, but have you tried plugging the
> >> card reader directly into a USB port on the mini in case there's a USB
> >> power issue?
> >>
> >> Is the G4 still running (and receiving emails!)? Is Mail in the mini set up
> >> with the *exact* same email account details?
> >>
> >> Otto
> >>
> >> On 30 March 2012 22:26, Louise Stewart <veggie236@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >>
> >>> Since getting a new Mini, going from a G4, I can't print to my HP
> >>> Officejet 6000 printer from the Mini. Also, I can't use my card reader
> >>> that's plugged into the hub to see my camera photos. I usually just put the
> >>> memory card into the reader and it's a piece of cake, but it won't work. I
> >>> can't find in the Mini's little booklet how to do this. It tells how to
> >>> plug the camera into the computer, but I have no idea where my plug for
> >>> that is.
> >>>
> >>> Any ideas?
> >>>
> >>> And I don't seem to be getting all of my emails in the Mini.
> >>>
> >>
> >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Group FAQ:
> > <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>
>

3a.

I seem to have committed Mac/Computer hair Kari [SP?]

Posted by: "Jim" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   jimpurcell2001

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:45 pm (PDT)



I installed Lion because I had my Snow Leopard disk forgetting that it must be an upgrade only disk. It's been so long and these days, a few weeks is for ever.
Lion is turning out to be a disaster FOR ME. So many apps have such tiny text on the app labels. I can't delete an account that has a stubborn trash bin that can't be emptied. I think there's a file in the bin that is causing emptying to err out. I can't seem to fix Lion and can't reinstall Snow Leopard. And all of my older versions are now gone, thought I'dnever need them, after keeping them for so long. I with I never heard of Lion.

Old, very Old, techie

3b.

Re: I seem to have committed Mac/Computer hair Kari [SP?]

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:22 pm (PDT)




On Mar 30, 2012, at 7:45 PM, Jim wrote:

> I installed Lion because I had my Snow Leopard disk forgetting that it must be an upgrade only disk. It's been so long and these days, a few weeks is for ever.
> Lion is turning out to be a disaster FOR ME. So many apps have such tiny text on the app labels. I can't delete an account that has a stubborn trash bin that can't be emptied. I think there's a file in the bin that is causing emptying to err out. I can't seem to fix Lion and can't reinstall Snow Leopard. And all of my older versions are now gone, thought I'dnever need them, after keeping them for so long. I with I never heard of Lion.

What monitor are you using with your Mac Pro and at what resolution? That will help us figure out why your fonts are so small. If it is not too personal, how bad is your eye sight?

If your Mac is under warranty or AppleCare, take it into an Apple Store to see if they can sort it out for you. You have too many things for us to solve remotely without seeing what is going on.

Brent
4a.

how can I delete this?

Posted by: "Barbara Adamski" adamski@telus.net   bkadamski

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:25 pm (PDT)



I sent a huge file that bounced back. I am trying to delete the bounce notification but can't. I get the following message: The IMAP command "UID COPY" (to Deleted Messages) failed for the mailbox "INBOX" with server error: Message creation failed; mailbox is full..

Any idea how to delete?

Barb

4b.

Re: how can I delete this?

Posted by: "Paul Cartwright" paul@mactechservices.com   mactechservices

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:21 am (PDT)



Can you log in to your account via webmail and delete it there?

On Mar 30, 2012, at 10:25 PM, Barbara Adamski wrote:

> I sent a huge file that bounced back. I am trying to delete the bounce notification but can't. I get the following message: The IMAP command "UID COPY" (to Deleted Messages) failed for the mailbox "INBOX" with server error: Message creation failed; mailbox is full..
>
> Any idea how to delete?
>
> Barb
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

5a.

Re: how do I make a file zip so I can email it

Posted by: "titnaw" titnaw@gmail.com   titnaw

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:12 am (PDT)



Thanks otto,
I saved this information so I can remember it the next time (LOL)
titnaw

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Otto Nikolaus <otto.nikolaus@...> wrote:
>
> You simply select (highlight) the files in the normal way (shift-click for
> a "block" of adjacent ones, command-click to add non-adjacent ones) and
> then right-click as before. The zip is called archive.zip.
>
> Otto
>
> On 30 March 2012 12:33, titnaw <titnaw@...> wrote:
>
> >
> > Yeah it worked! Thank you.
> > Now, as you mentioned I could do this with a number of files. At the same
> > time? how?
> > Thanks so much
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web