3/30/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8818

Messages In This Digest (18 Messages)

Messages

1a.

question concerning cursor

Posted by: "GlennBee" cybazove@yahoo.com   cybazove

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:51 pm (PDT)





I have a mac tiger.  Recently my cursor began dragging around a 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch square filled with rows of many tiny vertical black lines.  The browser window also has a dark black line running along both sides of it.  The lines being dragged around by the cursor then get on many things that I might click on, like the front of folders, and onto the top bar of the desktop, along the quicktime movie screen, into the trash folder, etc.  As you can imagine, it is a BIG annoyance.  I have cleaned out the machine with my CacheOutX and restarted the machine several times, thinking a reboot would get rid of this.  It does not.  I have googled a lot, hoping I could find that someone else has had such a problem, and I find nothing.  In case it was my Firefox I deleted it and downloaded a fresh one and reinstalled.  If anyone has any suggestions I welcome them.

Thanks,
Bair    

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1b.

Re: question concerning cursor

Posted by: "Paul Cartwright" paul@mactechservices.com   mactechservices

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:40 pm (PDT)



Have you looked at the System Preferences for Universal Access to see if you accidentally triggered one of its mouse settings?

On Mar 29, 2012, at 6:51 PM, GlennBee wrote:

>
>
> I have a mac tiger. Recently my cursor began dragging around a 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch square filled with rows of many tiny vertical black lines. The browser window also has a dark black line running along both sides of it. The lines being dragged around by the cursor then get on many things that I might click on, like the front of folders, and onto the top bar of the desktop, along the quicktime movie screen, into the trash folder, etc. As you can imagine, it is a BIG annoyance. I have cleaned out the machine with my CacheOutX and restarted the machine several times, thinking a reboot would get rid of this. It does not. I have googled a lot, hoping I could find that someone else has had such a problem, and I find nothing. In case it was my Firefox I deleted it and downloaded a fresh one and reinstalled. If anyone has any suggestions I welcome them.
>
> Thanks,
> Bair
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: issues in 10.7.3

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:51 pm (PDT)




On Mar 29, 2012, at 11:15 AM, N.A. Nada wrote:

> Is anyone else having issues with 10.7.3 that seem related only to the OS?
>
> Just now I was trying to move a screen shot off the desktop into a folder on an external drive. It would not move at all on the desktop so I tried to move other docs, files and folders just on the desktop. None would move. I quite most of the open apps and tried again. I was about to restart when I decided to just relaunch the Finder, with option + command + escape. After Finder relaunched, everything appeared to work normally.
>
> Last night, I was trying to restart to an external hard drive with 10.6.8. The restart hung at the grey screen, Apple icon, and gear. I had just done the same minutes prior, but it refused to do it this time.
>
I've had episodes in the past where my Mac slowed to a glacial crawl. In each instance, it turned out to be a failing hard drive. That wouldn't explain the hang when you're trying to boot to another drive, but then if it's truly hanging while booting into OS X 10.6.8 that can't be a problem with 10.7.x, can it?

I've had drives pass Disk Utility's status check that were on their last legs.

I'd worry a lot about any machine that had had its logic board replaced twice in the last week!

Jim Robertson

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2b.

Re: issues in 10.7.3

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:01 pm (PDT)




On Mar 29, 2012, at 11:15 AM, N.A. Nada wrote:

> Last night, I was trying to restart to an external hard drive with
> 10.6.8. The restart hung at the grey screen, Apple icon, and gear.

Usually a gray screen on startup is a sign of a hardware problem,
often an external hard drive that is problematic, or bad RAM.

See:
If you see a gray screen at startup
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8964.html

Isolating Issues in Mac OS X
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1388

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

2c.

Re: issues in 10.7.3

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:58 am (PDT)




On Mar 29, 2012, at 10:01 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

>
> On Mar 29, 2012, at 11:15 AM, N.A. Nada wrote:
>
> > Last night, I was trying to restart to an external hard drive with
> > 10.6.8. The restart hung at the grey screen, Apple icon, and gear.
>
> Usually a gray screen on startup is a sign of a hardware problem,
> often an external hard drive that is problematic, or bad RAM.
>
> See:
> If you see a gray screen at startup
> http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8964.html
>
> Isolating Issues in Mac OS X
> http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1388

Gray screen, blue screen this display is darker than most. Either way it is the say screen I have seen since the first day I got this MBP, except it would not progress past it.

The first article does not seem to be the issue. I will have to read and go through the second article.

Thanks, Randy.

Brent

2d.

Re: issues in 10.7.3

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:15 am (PDT)




On Mar 29, 2012, at 6:51 PM, James Robertson wrote:

>
> On Mar 29, 2012, at 11:15 AM, N.A. Nada wrote:
>
> > Is anyone else having issues with 10.7.3 that seem related only to the OS?
> >
> > Just now I was trying to move a screen shot off the desktop into a folder on an external drive. It would not move at all on the desktop so I tried to move other docs, files and folders just on the desktop. None would move. I quite most of the open apps and tried again. I was about to restart when I decided to just relaunch the Finder, with option + command + escape. After Finder relaunched, everything appeared to work normally.
> >
> > Last night, I was trying to restart to an external hard drive with 10.6.8. The restart hung at the grey screen, Apple icon, and gear. I had just done the same minutes prior, but it refused to do it this time.
> >
> I've had episodes in the past where my Mac slowed to a glacial crawl. In each instance, it turned out to be a failing hard drive. That wouldn't explain the hang when you're trying to boot to another drive, but then if it's truly hanging while booting into OS X 10.6.8 that can't be a problem with 10.7.x, can it?
>
> I've had drives pass Disk Utility's status check that were on their last legs.
>
> I'd worry a lot about any machine that had had its logic board replaced twice in the last week!

Thanks, James, but I suspect the two logic boards failed because of another piece of hardware, which is now visiting a recycling center. In the process of repairing the logic boards, Apple ran their special diagnostics on the MBP and I have nothing else to make me concerned that the hard drive is nearing failure.

I still believe the restart with the option key down was a 10.7 issue because it was having problems even recognizing that there was an external drive attached. Then later, it would not shut down, with no external drive attached.

I take that back, as long as the WiFi is on my Drobo is "attached", but not bootable, and that may be the clue. I had a system freeze when trying to access the Drobo, when the Drobo was asleep, today. PITA, the Drobo is slow to awaken.

In response to Randy, I forgot to mention that the RAM has tested as good, and has been reseated.

Brent
3a.

Re: OSX Tiger as VM in Parallels?

Posted by: "Jurgen Richter" yahoo-1@sympatico.ca   epsongroups

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:54 pm (PDT)



I had not actually installed the previous version yet, it's on another
machine, so I'm going to test out V.7 first before upgrading the other
machine (yes I have a legit 2nd copy). So I do not have Windows
installed yet either... but the long and short of it is that since it is
an older printer (Epson 3000) the driver has also not been upgraded
under Windows, and all my apps that will print to it, which I have
succeeded with, are under SnowLeopard. What I cannot do under
SnowLeopard is run the Epson Utility which allows me to control head
cleanings and printing nozzle checks. GIMPPrint does not either, though
it will report on ink levels.

So while an alternate idea, it's not a practical solution.

I just wanted to know if you can run Tiger as a PPC OS under Parallels
virtualization since SnowLeopard cannot and Lion does not have Rosetta
either....
I'll let you know when I try it out myself if no one else has tried this....

Thanks!

Barry wrote:...

Here's another idea: Since you are running Parallels already, you
probably do run Windows on it. Most printers are cross-platform. Why
not control the printer from the Windows virtual machine you already
have?
--
>Has anyone installed OSX Tiger as a virtual machine in Parallels?
>I know you'll ask, why would you want to? Well - my Epson printer
>utility broke under Leopard and there is no Snow Leopard version that
>will work with my trusty old printer, so I either have to keep an older
>Mac running Tiger around just to keep the printer going [and this will
>not cost anything, as such] or this method, which would mean I could
>switch to Tiger to run this app and then go back to SnowLeopard for my
>everyday use....
>Technically, it may not work, because the app is PPC not Intel, but I'd
>ask before trying the install, to see if anyone has already done so. If
>it DOES work, then there would be hope for those who have specialized
>PPC apps that otherwise could not run under Snow Leopard or Lion without
>Rosetta....

3b.

Re: OSX Tiger as VM in Parallels?

Posted by: "Jon Kreisler" jonkreisler@gmail.com   jonkreisler

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:06 pm (PDT)



Prior to Lion (OS X 10.7) you can only install server versions of OS X as a
VM in Parallels 7. The workstation versions of OS X are not allowed to run
as VMs under Parallels.
Jon

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 9:54 PM, Jurgen Richter <yahoo-1@sympatico.ca>wrote:

> **
>
>
> I had not actually installed the previous version yet, it's on another
> machine, so I'm going to test out V.7 first before upgrading the other
> machine (yes I have a legit 2nd copy). So I do not have Windows
> installed yet either... but the long and short of it is that since it is
> an older printer (Epson 3000) the driver has also not been upgraded
> under Windows, and all my apps that will print to it, which I have
> succeeded with, are under SnowLeopard. What I cannot do under
> SnowLeopard is run the Epson Utility which allows me to control head
> cleanings and printing nozzle checks. GIMPPrint does not either, though
> it will report on ink levels.
>
> So while an alternate idea, it's not a practical solution.
>
> I just wanted to know if you can run Tiger as a PPC OS under Parallels
> virtualization since SnowLeopard cannot and Lion does not have Rosetta
> either....
> I'll let you know when I try it out myself if no one else has tried
> this....
>
> Thanks!
>
> Barry wrote:...
>
>
> Here's another idea: Since you are running Parallels already, you
> probably do run Windows on it. Most printers are cross-platform. Why
> not control the printer from the Windows virtual machine you already
> have?
> --
> >Has anyone installed OSX Tiger as a virtual machine in Parallels?
> >I know you'll ask, why would you want to? Well - my Epson printer
> >utility broke under Leopard and there is no Snow Leopard version that
> >will work with my trusty old printer, so I either have to keep an older
> >Mac running Tiger around just to keep the printer going [and this will
> >not cost anything, as such] or this method, which would mean I could
> >switch to Tiger to run this app and then go back to SnowLeopard for my
> >everyday use....
> >Technically, it may not work, because the app is PPC not Intel, but I'd
> >ask before trying the install, to see if anyone has already done so. If
> >it DOES work, then there would be hope for those who have specialized
> >PPC apps that otherwise could not run under Snow Leopard or Lion without
> >Rosetta....
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

Re: [macsupport] Tried to buy the $30 version of Lion but...

Posted by: "oldtechie" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   jimpurcell2001

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:36 pm (PDT)



N.A. Nada wrote:

What will, in some cases I can't change font size, like in some files listings.

Jim
> Changing the OS will not resolve the issue with small text.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4b.

Re: [macsupport] Tried to buy the $30 version of Lion but...

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:30 am (PDT)




On Mar 29, 2012, at 7:36 PM, oldtechie wrote:

> N.A. Nada wrote:
>
> What will, in some cases I can't change font size, like in some files listings.
>
> Jim
> > Changing the OS will not resolve the issue with small text.

Well, Jim, without some specifics, I can only give you a generality. Change the prefs or settings for the app.

You have changed the user name on your account and changed the subject line or not given enough info on what is giving you small font sizes, or at least I can't find it. And I failed when tested for mind reading, or maybe I was thinking of the answer for the next question.

If your eyesight is really bad, then go into Sys Prefs/ Universal Access/ Seeing tab, but that might cause problems with your slide show of desktop images. Or change the display resolution to something with less real estate, but that will give you bigger fonts.

Brent
5a.

Re: [macsupport] Foxconn plant in China gets visit from Apple's

Posted by: "Doug Yelmen" dougyelmen@earthlink.net   dougyelmen

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:39 pm (PDT)




Doug Yelmen
dougyelmen@earthlink.net

"You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

On Mar 29, 2012, at 6:39 PM, Jim Saklad wrote:

>> i've seen communist countries. i know what it is like.
>
> Good for you.

i went back in 1992, with medical supplies for children's hospitals and schools. good for me.
>
>> i asked you to stop this off topic.
>
> My messages were composed and sent before encountering yours in which you changed your mind about contributions to this topic and cut off debate.
i wasn't talking to you. i don't even remember anything you said.
>
>> can you please?
>
> Done.

i saw another article about how apple and tim cook are trying to improve working conditions for the chinese workers, but with the past history of misinterpretation
i decided against it.

done.

doug
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6.1.

Re: Help me understand time machine

Posted by: "Anna Larson" pix@maksimo.de   yovard@ymail.com

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:16 am (PDT)




On 29.03.2012, at 14:52, Daly Jessup wrote:

>>
>>
>> Does it look like this by you?
>>
>> http://min.us/mbhCzeVl9B
>
> Thank you very much, Anna. Actually, it did solve it!

I'm glad I could help. :-)

Anna

7a.

Re: Tiny type in Mail

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:18 am (PDT)



On 29 March 2012 18:53, Dane Robison <macdane@mac.com> wrote:

>
> C'mon, Otto ... I wouldn't joke about something funny! Seriously,
> though, it's worth mentioning that when I pull out my laptop the
> message looks fine in Mail.app
>

Aah ... I should've said "You weren't kidding, were you!". Strange how a
meaning can change so easily.
;)
Otto

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8a.

Re: Keyboard Navigation

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:34 am (PDT)



Good. They are all in a more legible format in the file I previously linked
to.
<http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/macsupportcentral/files/Keyboard/>

Yes, Enter means New Paragraph in most text editors. If you want a New Line
instead, try Shift-Enter.

Otto

On 29 March 2012 20:43, oldtechie <oldtechie@wi.rr.com> wrote:

> Otto,
>
> That's what I want. TNX.
> I tried all the combinations, but one, CTRL + E seemed to jump down
> several lines. down, but then i realized that the page I was on must have
> had some paragraph codes. So I tried it on a different page, and it worked.
> For some reason text editor likes to create paragraphs when I hit ENTER. :-)
>
> TNX again,
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

9a.

how do I make a file zip so I can email it

Posted by: "titnaw" titnaw@gmail.com   titnaw

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:08 am (PDT)



I want to email a file.
I normally just send it as it is a zip file. How can I do that with my mac?
Thanks
Titnaw

9b.

Re: how do I make a file zip so I can email it

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:11 am (PDT)



Right-click (or ctrl-click) the file or folder and select Compress. You can
also select a number of files and do the same.

Otto

On 30 March 2012 12:07, titnaw <titnaw@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to email a file.
> I normally just send it as it is a zip file. How can I do that with my mac?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

9c.

Re: how do I make a file zip so I can email it

Posted by: "titnaw" titnaw@gmail.com   titnaw

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:33 am (PDT)




Yeah it worked! Thank you.
Now, as you mentioned I could do this with a number of files. At the same time? how?
Thanks so much
Titnaw
--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Otto Nikolaus <otto.nikolaus@...> wrote:
>
> Right-click (or ctrl-click) the file or folder and select Compress. You can
> also select a number of files and do the same.
>
> Otto
>
> On 30 March 2012 12:07, titnaw <titnaw@...> wrote:
>
> > I want to email a file.
> > I normally just send it as it is a zip file. How can I do that with my mac?
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

9d.

Re: how do I make a file zip so I can email it

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:13 am (PDT)



You simply select (highlight) the files in the normal way (shift-click for
a "block" of adjacent ones, command-click to add non-adjacent ones) and
then right-click as before. The zip is called archive.zip.

Otto

On 30 March 2012 12:33, titnaw <titnaw@gmail.com> wrote:

>
> Yeah it worked! Thank you.
> Now, as you mentioned I could do this with a number of files. At the same
> time? how?
> Thanks so much
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web