3/28/2012

[apple-iphone] Digest Number 2949

Messages In This Digest (12 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Simple Way to Switch Users on Facebook

Posted by: "Archie C Grapa" archiegrapa@yahoo.com   archiegrapa

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:04 am (PDT)



Facebook - you can use MyPad and a lot of other 3rd party apps.
Twitter - uberSocial can take care of that.

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld

-----Original Message-----
From: Sanjaya Kanoria <wsbunter@gmail.com>
Sender: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 23:16:29
To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com<apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com>
Reply-To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [apple-iphone] Simple Way to Switch Users on Facebook

As far as Facebook is concerned one way to have two users is to have the Facebook ap downloaded where one enters as user 1, and then open Facebook on safari and sign in as user 2. Actually using safari one can have a large number of users after signing in and bookmarking.

On 26-Mar-2012, at 9:09 PM, "jiminmanjr" <jiminmanjr@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have the iPhone 3GS.
>
> I'm starting to do a lot of social media/marketing with my company. I have a Twitter account, Flickr, Facebook and some others.
>
> I also have those items that I use personally.
>
> My question is - is there a simple way to switch between the users? Is it possible to have two Twitter apps on my iPhone - one for personal and one for business? What about Facebook and Flickr?
>
> Perhaps a social media manager like Hoot Suite could take care of this. I'm not sure.
>
> Any input and suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jim
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: Data usage discrepancy

Posted by: "Archie C Grapa" archiegrapa@yahoo.com   archiegrapa

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:04 am (PDT)



By "how much data I have used", you mean received + sent, right?

If so, AT&T must explain. Although there may be different ways they measure such. I use an app called DataMan to monitor my usage and even it has a discrepancy with what's in Settings >> Cellular Usage. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower.

Sent from my BlackBerry� wireless handheld

-----Original Message-----
From: "RJMcW" <rjmcw@yahoo.com>
Sender: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:06:51
To: <apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com>
Reply-To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [apple-iphone] Data usage discrepancy

My cellphone-bill cycle starts on the third of the month. Each month, on the third of the month, I reset my iPhone cellular-usage log to zero, using the "reset statistics" button under "Settings/General/Usage/Cellular Usage."
By the end of the month, the ATT figure for how much data I have used is always significantly more than the iPhone itself tells me, sometimes as much as 200 megabytes more. How is this possible?




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2b.

Re: Data usage discrepancy

Posted by: "MD" mickeydoyle13@gmail.com   mdoyle13

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:53 am (PDT)



I have been using both DataMan and MobiShield to monitor usage, even though I'm grandfathered into unlimited and shouldn't have to worry about it. Both of them show me with a different number than ATT shows right now, although I think MobiShield (about 10mb higher than ATT) may be closer to right than DataMan (about 65mb lower) due to the lag time on ATT's report.

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "Archie C Grapa" <archiegrapa@...> wrote:
>
> By "how much data I have used", you mean received + sent, right?
>
> If so, AT&T must explain. Although there may be different ways they measure such. I use an app called DataMan to monitor my usage and even it has a discrepancy with what's in Settings >> Cellular Usage. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower.
>
> Sent from my BlackBerry� wireless handheld
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: "RJMcW" <rjmcw@...>
> Sender: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:06:51
> To: <apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com>
> Reply-To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [apple-iphone] Data usage discrepancy
>
> My cellphone-bill cycle starts on the third of the month. Each month, on the third of the month, I reset my iPhone cellular-usage log to zero, using the "reset statistics" button under "Settings/General/Usage/Cellular Usage."
> By the end of the month, the ATT figure for how much data I have used is always significantly more than the iPhone itself tells me, sometimes as much as 200 megabytes more. How is this possible?
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

2c.

Re: Data usage discrepancy

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:33 pm (PDT)



Where are you getting the data usage from, AT&T's web page usage or the bill? The bill is after all bits & bytes have been metered and is their "final answer". The usage from the web page is not current, there is a lag in the number there.

I would also question the 75 MB difference between MobiShield & DataMan.

Brent

On Mar 27, 2012, at 11:49 AM, MD wrote:

> I have been using both DataMan and MobiShield to monitor usage, even though I'm grandfathered into unlimited and shouldn't have to worry about it. Both of them show me with a different number than ATT shows right now, although I think MobiShield (about 10mb higher than ATT) may be closer to right than DataMan (about 65mb lower) due to the lag time on ATT's report.
>
> --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "Archie C Grapa" <archiegrapa@...> wrote:
> >
> > By "how much data I have used", you mean received + sent, right?
> >
> > If so, AT&T must explain. Although there may be different ways they measure such. I use an app called DataMan to monitor my usage and even it has a discrepancy with what's in Settings >> Cellular Usage. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower.
> >
> > Sent from my BlackBerry� wireless handheld
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: "RJMcW" <rjmcw@...>
> > Sender: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
> > Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:06:51
> > To: <apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com>
> > Reply-To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: [apple-iphone] Data usage discrepancy
> >
> > My cellphone-bill cycle starts on the third of the month. Each month, on the third of the month, I reset my iPhone cellular-usage log to zero, using the "reset statistics" button under "Settings/General/Usage/Cellular Usage."
> > By the end of the month, the ATT figure for how much data I have used is always significantly more than the iPhone itself tells me, sometimes as much as 200 megabytes more. How is this possible?

2d.

Re: Data usage discrepancy (sidetracked)

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:24 pm (PDT)




On Mar 27, 2012, at 11:49 AM, a member wrote:

> I have been using both DataMan and MobiShield to monitor usage, even though I'm grandfathered into unlimited and shouldn't have to worry about it. Both of them show me with a different number than ATT shows right now, although I think MobiShield (about 10mb higher than ATT) may be closer to right than DataMan (about 65mb lower) due to the lag time on ATT's report.

I just went and looked at MobiShield, and I know I am a little paranoid, but I don't think I would use MobiShield, because:

It only has 17 reviews for all versions and has been out for more than 3 months. In comparison, the current version of DataMan has been out for 7 months and the current version has 304 reviews.

There are nine 5-star reviews. Most of the 4 and 5 star reviewers have funny names and one line reviews, and half the reviews say the app crashes.

5 of this developers 7 apps are less than 4 months old and the 2 old ones don't have enough reviews to give a rating. Some have only Chinese versions.

If you go to the developers web site, it suggests that the iPhone has to be jailbroken to work.

The security scan is apparently one of the features that makes the app crash. Besides monitoring your 3G & WiFi usage, it checks your current connection IP address, MAC address (machine access code), OS, Kernel version, user name, and UUID. It will back up your data, but to where?

Why does it need to identify your exact phone for you?

Why does it need to know where you are connected?

Why does it need to tell you your own name? <<<<<<<<<<<<< ?!?!?!

And does it phone all this home?

I'm surprised this made it past Apple. The developer sure sounds like one of the app farms to me.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like spyware.

the other Brent

3a.

Re: Sync Ringtones?

Posted by: "Clark Martin" cmmac@sonic.net   cmartin1138

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:05 am (PDT)




On Mar 26, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Bob Newman wrote:

> iPhone 4S
> Someplace along the line my ringtones have disappeared from my iPhone 4S. Not to worry they are still backed up in iTunes. When I highlight my phone in iTunes' left column and choose "Tones" the "sync tones" box is unchecked. When I click on that box to check it I get the following warning message: "Are you sure you want to sync tones? All existing songs, movies, and TV shows on the iPhone "Bob Newman's iPhone" will be removed." I stop when I see that. How do I sync my ringtones back without losing the other stuff?

You can just drag the ringtones (any or all of them to your iPhone (on the left side in iTunes) and they will be transferred.

3b.

Re: Sync Ringtones?

Posted by: "Vishal Sheth" vusheth@gmail.com   vusheth

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:49 am (PDT)



Just double click on the ringtone and it would get added to the ringtones
in iTunes provided the file extension is m4r.

Vishal Sheth

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 CDMA
On Mar 27, 2012 3:35 PM, "Clark Martin" <cmmac@sonic.net> wrote:

> **
>
>
>
> On Mar 26, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Bob Newman wrote:
>
> > iPhone 4S
> > Someplace along the line my ringtones have disappeared from my iPhone
> 4S. Not to worry they are still backed up in iTunes. When I highlight my
> phone in iTunes' left column and choose "Tones" the "sync tones" box is
> unchecked. When I click on that box to check it I get the following warning
> message: "Are you sure you want to sync tones? All existing songs, movies,
> and TV shows on the iPhone "Bob Newman's iPhone" will be removed." I stop
> when I see that. How do I sync my ringtones back without losing the other
> stuff?
>
> You can just drag the ringtones (any or all of them to your iPhone (on the
> left side in iTunes) and they will be transferred.
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3c.

Re: Sync Ringtones?

Posted by: "Bob Newman" bobnewman@cox.net   agunat

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:17 am (PDT)



Thanks very much Clark and Vishal.

Bob

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@...> wrote:
>
> iPhone 4S
> Someplace along the line my ringtones have disappeared from my iPhone 4S. Not to worry they are still backed up in iTunes. When I highlight my phone in iTunes' left column and choose "Tones" the "sync tones" box is unchecked. When I click on that box to check it I get the following warning message: "Are you sure you want to sync tones? All existing songs, movies, and TV shows on the iPhone "Bob Newman's iPhone" will be removed." I stop when I see that. How do I sync my ringtones back without losing the other stuff?
>
> Thanks in advance... Bob
>

4a.

Re: DVD converter

Posted by: "Christopher Collins" iphone@analogdigital.com.au   cjc1959au

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:05 am (PDT)



Click on Source, and then select the DVD.

That should stop you having to worry about the VOB files.

cjc

On 26/03/2012, at 11:13 AM, lwr32 wrote:

> I have the latest VLB. Could not use Handbrake without it. Since there's all the .vobs on DVDS, I didn't know how to get Handbrake to load them so that they would be ripped and converted into 1 file. Do the individual files need to be loaded 1 by 1 into the queue?
>
> \
> \ /\
> ( )
> .( ). Alice
>
> On Mar 25, 2012, at 5:05 PM, Christopher Collins <iphone@analogdigital.com.au> wrote:
>
> > To get Handbrake to rip a DVD, you need to make sure you also install VLC. VLC has the required libraries needed to rip DVDs, and Handbrake uses them.
> >
> > I've used Handbrake to rip lots of DVDs, and it brings it down to only a one-step process!
> >
> > cjc2959au
> >
> > On 26/03/2012, at 11:00 AM, lwr32 wrote:
> >
> > > Love Handbrake. Never got it to rip a DVD though. I use RipIt to rip, then Handbrake to convert to m4v or mp4 for iTunes.
> > >
> > Alice
> > >
> > > On Mar 24, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Vishal Sheth <vusheth@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > Handbrake is good.
> > > >
> > > > Vishal Sheth
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Re: Simple Way to Switch App Users??

Posted by: "MD" mickeydoyle13@gmail.com   mdoyle13

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:05 am (PDT)



It appears Hoot Suite or Tweetdeck will probably do what you are looking for. I only have one account of each (Twitter and FB), but I know people who use both for business and personal stuff. I have used both programs. They are among about 6-8 Twitter clients I use at various times. (All have good points but they also have the one thing missing that would make it perfect. And the one thing seems to be different for each.)

Hoot Suite can also be used on your computer via browser. Tweetdeck has a standalone program for the computer.

Win7/iPhone 4S

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "jiminmanjr" <jiminmanjr@...> wrote:
>
> I have the iPhone 3GS.
>
> I'm starting to do a lot of social media/marketing with my company. I have a Twitter account, Flickr, Facebook and some others.
>
> I also have those items that I use personally.
>
> My question is - is there a simple way to switch between the users? Is it possible to have two Twitter apps on my iPhone - one for personal and one for business? What about Facebook and Flickr?
>
> Perhaps a social media manager like Hoot Suite could take care of this. I'm not sure.
>
> Any input and suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jim
>

5b.

Re: Simple Way to Switch App Users??

Posted by: "Vishal Sheth" vusheth@gmail.com   vusheth

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:30 am (PDT)



Use tweetcaster for tweeter and friendcaster for Facebook. They both
support multiple accounts.

Vishal Sheth

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 CDMA
On Mar 27, 2012 4:20 PM, "MD" <mickeydoyle13@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> It appears Hoot Suite or Tweetdeck will probably do what you are looking
> for. I only have one account of each (Twitter and FB), but I know people
> who use both for business and personal stuff. I have used both programs.
> They are among about 6-8 Twitter clients I use at various times. (All have
> good points but they also have the one thing missing that would make it
> perfect. And the one thing seems to be different for each.)
>
> Hoot Suite can also be used on your computer via browser. Tweetdeck has a
> standalone program for the computer.
>
> Win7/iPhone 4S
>
> --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "jiminmanjr" <jiminmanjr@...> wrote:
> >
> > I have the iPhone 3GS.
> >
> > I'm starting to do a lot of social media/marketing with my company. I
> have a Twitter account, Flickr, Facebook and some others.
> >
> > I also have those items that I use personally.
> >
> > My question is - is there a simple way to switch between the users? Is
> it possible to have two Twitter apps on my iPhone - one for personal and
> one for business? What about Facebook and Flickr?
> >
> > Perhaps a social media manager like Hoot Suite could take care of this.
> I'm not sure.
> >
> > Any input and suggestions would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jim
> >
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6.

OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 only $28.95

Posted by: "Brent" flapdoodle@gmail.com   flapdoodle44

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:32 am (PDT)



http://store.imore.com/otterbox-defender-series-case/4A104A9225A.htm

Sent to you by Brent via Google Reader: OtterBox Defender Series Case
for iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 only $28.95 via iMore - The #1 iPhone, iPad,
and iPod touch blog by iMore Store on 3/27/12

For today only, the iMore Store has the OtterBox Defender Series Case
for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 on sale for only $28.95! That's an amazing 42%
off! Get them before they're gone!

Get the OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 now!

The OtterBox Defender Series for the iPhone 4S, AT&T iPhone 4, or
Verizon iPhone 4 offers rugged protection for your smartphone. The
OtterBox Defender Series case will help keep your phone protected from
drops, bumps, dust and shock.

All features, keys and ports are accessible through the case, providing
you with a unique, interactive safeguard. Included with this case is a
holster style swivel belt clip.

Features:

- Layer 1: Thermal formed protective clear membrane. Protects keypad
against scratching, as well as dust intrusion (layer optional depending
on the level of protection desired)
- Layer 2: Hi-impact polycarbonate shell for an added guard against
drops and shocks
- Layer 3: High quality silicone skin to absorb bump and shock Full
access to all keys, ports and functions


Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to iMore - The #1 iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch blog using
Google Reader
- Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
favorite sites

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Dog Groups

on Yahoo! Groups

Share pictures &

stories about dogs.

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Schizophrenia groups

Find support

Yahoo! Groups

Parenting Zone

Resources and tips

for parents

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web