3/21/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8798

Messages In This Digest (20 Messages)

1a.
RAM allocation From: ennisart
1b.
Re: RAM allocation From: Harry Flaxman
1c.
Re: RAM allocation From: Denver Dan
1d.
Re: RAM allocation From: Daly Jessup
2a.
Re: iPad! From: Eric
2b.
Re: iPad! From: Louie P. (Pete) Nalda
3a.
Re: file coupling ??? From: Denver Dan
4a.
Re: adding mp3 books to iTunes From: Katrin
4b.
Re: adding mp3 books to iTunes From: Harry Flaxman
5a.
Apple & New Wheelchair for Paralympics From: Denver Dan
5b.
Re: Apple & New Wheelchair for Paralympics From: Daly Jessup
6a.
Securing Wifi connections From: Jim Saklad
6b.
Re: Securing Wifi connections From: Harry Flaxman
6c.
Re: Securing Wifi connections From: Tod Hopkins
6d.
Re: Securing Wifi connections From: paul smith
7a.
Re: iphone photos into albums? From: Denver Dan
8a.
USB microscope? From: DaveC
8b.
Re: USB microscope? From: N.A, Nada
9a.
NEED ADVICE - WHICH IPAD TO BUY AS I CAN'T DECIDE From: Michael Moloney
9b.
Re: NEED ADVICE - WHICH IPAD TO BUY AS I CAN'T DECIDE From: Imran Khan

Messages

1a.

RAM allocation

Posted by: "ennisart" john@john-ennis.com   ennisart

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:21 am (PDT)



Hi,

I have a question about RAM. Sometimes I open too many RAM hungry programs, and find things slowing down (I assume that the computer is grabbing virtual memory). If I close some programs, is the RAM then re-allocated, or do I have to restart the computer to set things right?

Thanks,

John

iMac
OS 10.5.8
2.8 GHz Intel Core Duo
4GB 800 MHz DDE2 SDRAM

1b.

Re: RAM allocation

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:10 am (PDT)



On 3/20/2012 10:21 AM, ennisart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about RAM. Sometimes I open too many RAM hungry programs, and find things slowing down (I assume that the computer is grabbing virtual memory). If I close some programs, is the RAM then re-allocated, or do I have to restart the computer to set things right?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> iMac
> OS 10.5.8
> 2.8 GHz Intel Core Duo
> 4GB 800 MHz DDE2 SDRAM
>

I have found this detailed article extremely helpful:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20010613140025184

Harry

1c.

Re: RAM allocation

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:24 am (PDT)



Howdy.

Harry's response with the article link is a pretty good read on the
topic of RAM.

If you have too many apps open, in Mac OS X, when you close them, the
RAM space should return to being available.

The speed issue that is produced is a combination of amount of
installed physical RAM, the free space on your hard drive that is
available for Virtual Memory (VM), and the type of applications you are
using.

Most applications will use RAM automatically but a few have the ability
for you to adjust to amount required. Adobe Photoshop is one where you
can adjust the amount of RAM demanded by Photoshop as a percent of
available RAM.

A good way to check on whether you should install more RAM is to open
the Activity Monitor utility found in Utilities folder.

In Activity Monitor, click the System Memory tab at bottom and start
watch these figures as you use your computer on a normal day.

A significant clue found here is the Page Outs number report. This has
to do with the amount of swapping between RAM and VM. If it's a lot,
then that's an indicator that you could benefit from having more RAM
installed.

The RAM "rules" (I mean rules of thumb) are now changing with the
plunge into the world of 64-bit computing. This means that computers
can have gobs more RAM installed AND applications can address gobs more
RAM.

Denver Dan

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:21:09 +0000, ennisart wrote:
> I have a question about RAM. Sometimes I open too many RAM hungry
> programs, and find things slowing down (I assume that the computer is
> grabbing virtual memory). If I close some programs, is the RAM then
> re-allocated, or do I have to restart the computer to set things
> right?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> iMac
> OS 10.5.8
> 2.8 GHz Intel Core Duo
> 4GB 800 MHz DDE2 SDRAM
>

1d.

Re: RAM allocation

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:03 pm (PDT)




On Mar 20, 2012, at 7:21 AM, ennisart wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about RAM. Sometimes I open too many RAM hungry programs, and find things slowing down (I assume that the computer is grabbing virtual memory). If I close some programs, is the RAM then re-allocated, or do I have to restart the computer to set things right?

Personally, I have found that with some apps I have to log out and log in, or even restart the computer, to release the RAM. With other apps it is enough to quit the app.

Daly
2a.

Re: iPad!

Posted by: "Eric" emanmb@yahoo.com   emanmb

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:29 am (PDT)



I went to my old standby Craigslist and prices even for the original are still pretty high. Lowest in a 2 min. perusal was $280 in Chicago.
I'd rather pay $500 tops for a 2nd gen MBP personally.
e

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Pete Nalda <lpnalda@...> wrote:
>
> I know I sure want 1. Is there any way of knowing what the original ipad is worth nowadays?
> --
> Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for "G'Day, Mates!)

2b.

Re: iPad!

Posted by: "Louie P. (Pete) Nalda" lpnalda@gmail.com   lpnalda

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:49 pm (PDT)



Yep, they do it for $150. Maybe next time I get a loan it'll be different.

On Mar 20, 2012, at 3:07 AM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> On 3/20/2012 4:03 AM, Louie P. (Pete) Nalda wrote:
>> Wow!! $165? that's all? I can get an $150 loan on it at my nearest broker. think I'll just loan it and relinquish and put that toward the iPad 3.
>>
>>
>> On Mar 20, 2012, at 2:50 AM, Harry Flaxman wrote:
>>
>>> On 3/19/2012 10:54 PM, Pete Nalda wrote:
>>>> I know I sure want 1. Is there any way of knowing what the original ipad is worth nowadays?
>>>> --
>>>> Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for "G'Day, Mates!)
>>>> Louie P. (Pete) Nalda
>>>> HTTP://www.MySpace.com/musikonalda/
>>>> HTTP://www.Facebook.com/lpnalda/
>>>> HTTP://www.linkedin.com/in/lpnalda/
>>>> Twitter @lpnalda
>>>>
>>>> Harry Flaxman<harry.flaxman@me.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Apple has sold over 3 million new iPads since Friday, according to NBC news.
>>>>
>>>> 1 million a day!
>>>>
>>>> Isn't that something.
>>>>
>>>
>>> Just did a Google search for 'sell used ipad'. There are tons of sites
>>> that come up. First site was cashforipads.com! Check it out!
>>>
>>> Harry
>
> For the first iPad??? Good luck! Last time I checked around here, you
> were lucky to get $75! The iPad 2 would fetch quite a bit more.
>
> Harry
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for G'day, Mates)
Louie P. "Pete" Nalda
http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda
http://www.facebook.com/lpnalda
http://www.linkedin.com/in/lpnalda
Twitter @lpnalda

3a.

Re: file coupling ???

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:59 am (PDT)



Howdy.

GraphicConverter may have a limited form of layers for some functions -
perhaps a text layer?? - but doesn't have layers like Photoshop does.
And whether GC supports some form of layers may also depend on the
version you are using.

Denver Dan

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 20:45:49 -0700, N.A, Nada wrote:
>
> On Mar 19, 2012, at 7:47 PM, Denver Dan wrote:
>
>> Howdy.
>>
>> Flatten.
>>
>> When you use an image editor like Adobe Photoshop and others it has
>> the
>> ability to have many layers in the same document.
>>
>> Layer 1 might be an tree.
>> Layer 2 might be Issac Newton under the tree.
>> Layer 3 might be a leprechaun sitting in the tree ready to toss down
>> and apple.
>>
>> Each layer can be manipulated and edited and changed separately like
>> layers in an Excel spreadsheet.
>>
>> When you do the flatten command all of the layers are squished into a
>> single layer.
>>
>> Denver Dan
>>
>> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:39:39 -0700, N.A. Nada wrote:
>>>> BTW, how does one 'flatten' an image? Thanx. Oneal
>>>
>>> I was wondering what that meant, also.
>>
> Ah, your talking Photoshop. Never used it. I was talking
> GraphicConverter.
>
> Brent

4a.

Re: adding mp3 books to iTunes

Posted by: "Katrin" kaekka@gmx.de   kaekka

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:53 am (PDT)



Harry, Brent,

I just tried it out, it works! This is great, I didn't know it is this easy.
Thanks very much!

Katrin

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "N.A, Nada" <whodo678@...> wrote:
>
> It has been a while since I used Audiobook Builder, but it took longer
> than that to convert a single section.
>
> If when you change the media type, you look below, you will see the
> radio button to remember where you left off.
>
> E-Z, P-Z
>
> Brent
>
>
>
>
> On Mar 19, 2012, at 5:09 PM, Katrin wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Harry and Brent,
> > this is completely new to me.
> > My experience is, that my iPod only remembers where I stopped
> > listening to an audiobook if I do not open another mp3 book. If I
> > use m4b books, I can listen to more then one at the same time and
> > the iPod remembers where I stopped listening for every single file.
> > I thought the reason for ths is that mp3 books cannot be treated as
> > real audiobooks, but as music files.
> > Also mp3 books would not show up in the iTunes audiobook section,
> > but were listed with my songs, even if I made the changes you
> > suggested.
> > You both are right, your suggestion sounds easier (converting an
> > audiobook takes about 10 minutes, but I never had problems finding
> > my way back with chapters).
> > I have been using audiobook builder for quite a while now, so maybe
> > the possibilities for mp3 have changed with later versions of iTunes
> > or iOS?
>

4b.

Re: adding mp3 books to iTunes

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:12 am (PDT)



On 3/20/2012 12:53 PM, Katrin wrote:
> Harry, Brent,
>
> I just tried it out, it works! This is great, I didn't know it is this easy.
> Thanks very much!
>
> Katrin
>

You're quite welcome! Sometimes, coming from another, more
user-unfriendly platform, causes us to think in unfriendly ways! It's
just that simple here.

Harry

5a.

Apple & New Wheelchair for Paralympics

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:12 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

For many years I've tried to keep up, at least a little bit, with Apple
computers and assistive devices for people with handicaps of various
kinds.

I just came across this short article in Macworld UK on a new type of
wheelchair created by "Mac based designers" in the UK.

This is related to the upcoming Olympic Games in London I would guess.

I've looked at several articles and haven't quite understood the gist
of what is being discussed.

If a member here has more specific information, please post a link or
your thoughts on this topic.

At first I thought they were talking about incorporating iOS devices
with a wheelchair but that doesn't seem to be what's going on.

Is this a new technology type of wheelchair?

Does it use electronics?

What is the connection with their web site?

<http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/?newsid=3345665&olo=rss>

Denver Dan

5b.

Re: Apple & New Wheelchair for Paralympics

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:10 pm (PDT)




On Mar 20, 2012, at 12:11 PM, Denver Dan wrote:
>
> At first I thought they were talking about incorporating iOS devices
> with a wheelchair but that doesn't seem to be what's going on.
>
> Is this a new technology type of wheelchair?
>
> Does it use electronics?
>
> What is the connection with their web site?
>
> <http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/?newsid=3345665&olo=rss>

I think the entire connection is that the developers said they did all their development on Macs and could not have done it otherwise.

Daly
6a.

Securing Wifi connections

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:56 pm (PDT)



We've had discussions in the past about setting up and using VPN (Virtual Private Network) to guarantee that our devices were secure when connecting over an UNsecured public (or private) Wifi network.

Sometimes it was hard to find a cheap or free VPN client; sometimes the client went away; sometimes it was a hassle to set up.

I just encountered a MacWorld article on a service that makes it easy (and secure) on both Macs and iDevices:

<http://www.macworld.com/article/1165985/cloak_secures_your_internet_traffic_without_the_hassle.html>

I set it up on laptop, iPhone and iPad in a matter of about 5 minutes.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6b.

Re: Securing Wifi connections

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:06 pm (PDT)



On 3/20/2012 3:55 PM, Jim Saklad wrote:
> We've had discussions in the past about setting up and using VPN (Virtual Private Network) to guarantee that our devices were secure when connecting over an UNsecured public (or private) Wifi network.
>
> Sometimes it was hard to find a cheap or free VPN client; sometimes the client went away; sometimes it was a hassle to set up.
>
> I just encountered a MacWorld article on a service that makes it easy (and secure) on both Macs and iDevices:
>
> <http://www.macworld.com/article/1165985/cloak_secures_your_internet_traffic_without_the_hassle.html>
>
> I set it up on laptop, iPhone and iPad in a matter of about 5 minutes.
>

Looks good Jim, thanks!

In the process of setting it up now.

Harry

6c.

Re: Securing Wifi connections

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:49 pm (PDT)



Looks nice. Would be awesome if they also anonymized the connections! I mean if your going to route through a proxy you might as well kill two birds with one stone. Well, they can't anonymize the fact that you are using the service, because they must measure your usage, but they could anonymize the activity.

Cheers,
tod

On Mar 20, 2012, at 3:55 PM, Jim Saklad wrote:

> We've had discussions in the past about setting up and using VPN (Virtual Private Network) to guarantee that our devices were secure when connecting over an UNsecured public (or private) Wifi network.
>
> Sometimes it was hard to find a cheap or free VPN client; sometimes the client went away; sometimes it was a hassle to set up.
>
> I just encountered a MacWorld article on a service that makes it easy (and secure) on both Macs and iDevices:
>
> <http://www.macworld.com/article/1165985/cloak_secures_your_internet_traffic_without_the_hassle.html>
>
> I set it up on laptop, iPhone and iPad in a matter of about 5 minutes.
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6d.

Re: Securing Wifi connections

Posted by: "paul smith" kullervo@nycap.rr.com   waldonny

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:52 pm (PDT)



Thanks, Jim! Just set it up on my devices.
--
PSmith
MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.7.3 iPhone 4S 64 GB, iOS 5.1

On Mar 20, 2012, at 3:55 PM, Jim Saklad wrote:

We've had discussions in the past about setting up and using VPN (Virtual Private Network) to guarantee that our devices were secure when connecting over an UNsecured public (or private) Wifi network.

Sometimes it was hard to find a cheap or free VPN client; sometimes the client went away; sometimes it was a hassle to set up.

I just encountered a MacWorld article on a service that makes it easy (and secure) on both Macs and iDevices:

<http://www.macworld.com/article/1165985/cloak_secures_your_internet_traffic_without_the_hassle.html>

I set it up on laptop, iPhone and iPad in a matter of about 5 minutes.

7a.

Re: iphone photos into albums?

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:58 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

First set up a folder for pictures to sync with your iPhone.

Then add sub folders by any categories you want.

Then <COPY> the pictures to sync into these several folders on your
Macintosh. I suggest copy and not move because I keep a master folder
of photos and other folders for MobileMe and for iPhone syncing.

Then launch iTunes with your iPhone connected to your Macintosh. Or
just plug the iPhone's USB cable into your Mac and that act should
launch iTunes for you.

Find the Source item (left column in iTunes) for you iPhone and let it
do it's sync thing.

In the main iTunes window, with your iPhone selected, the last item at
the top is the Photos sync feature.

You will need to check on the Sync Photos from XXXXXX check box.

You can then pick a source of the photos, i.e., the iPhone photo
syncing folder you already created on your hard drive.

You can select the Selected albums, Events, etc., radio button to
narrow things down, and there is a check box for including videos
(which can take up a lot of space.

When finished setting it up things should start to appear on your
iPhone.

Then, from this point on, you can add and remove photos from your
special iPhone sync folder that you created and each time you connect
your iPhone to iTunes they will sync.

Denver Dan

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:49:24 -0400, Jurgen Richter wrote:
> I hope this is appropriate, as it does include OSX....
>
> How do I copy any pictures to my iphone 4s from my desktop mac? I know
> about syncing photos, but I don't necessarily want my entire photo
> collection synced to my phone, nor do I want all the photos duplicated
> from camera roll to my mac once I have them copied and sorted there
> already. Let's say I have a screen capture (in jpeg format) I want to
> put on my phone, either into a specific album, and if not possible, just
> onto the "camera roll"?
>
> Is there a way to create photo albums on the iphone and if so, how do
> you move the photos from "camera roll" to any of those albums created?
>
> Are these photos duplicated into the albums or physically moved? - I
> don't need or want a 2nd set on the device.

8a.

USB microscope?

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:16 pm (PDT)



anybody use a USB microscope with a Mac?

I'm looking for one that will work with Macs.

(I'm still stunned that Apple is the largest company on the planet
and still, STILL there is such a dearth of scientific software and
products for Macs...)

Thanks,
Dave
--
2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 / 4 GB / 750 GB
OS X 10.6.8 (yes, Snow Leopard)

8b.

Re: USB microscope?

Posted by: "N.A, Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:52 pm (PDT)



http://www.microscopeworld.com/p-1194-mw1-hd1-digital-kids-microscope-and-software.aspx

I have no experience with it, but it was the first one I found in a 30
second search and it is Mac OS X compatible. I would guess there are a
whole bunch more out there.

On Mar 20, 2012, at 10:15 PM, DaveC wrote:

> anybody use a USB microscope with a Mac?
>
> I'm looking for one that will work with Macs.
>
> (I'm still stunned that Apple is the largest company on the planet
> and still, STILL there is such a dearth of scientific software and
> products for Macs...)
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
> --
> 2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 / 4 GB / 750 GB
> OS X 10.6.8 (yes, Snow Leopard)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

9a.

NEED ADVICE - WHICH IPAD TO BUY AS I CAN'T DECIDE

Posted by: "Michael Moloney" moloney.icloud@gmail.com   moloney_mj

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:40 am (PDT)



Hello

I need some advice please.

I currently own a 32gb Wifi + 3G iPad 1. I am looking at upgrading yet I cannot decide whether to get an iPad 2 or the new iPad device?

I just cannot decide.

Michael Moloney
moloney.icloud@gmail.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

9b.

Re: NEED ADVICE - WHICH IPAD TO BUY AS I CAN'T DECIDE

Posted by: "Imran Khan" sj.imran@gmail.com   sj.imran

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:44 am (PDT)



Go for the new iPad….

--
Imran Khan
Sent with Sparrow (http://www.sparrowmailapp.com/?sig)

On Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Michael Moloney wrote:

>
> Hello
>
> I need some advice please.
>
> I currently own a 32gb Wifi + 3G iPad 1. I am looking at upgrading yet I cannot decide whether to get an iPad 2 or the new iPad device?
>
> I just cannot decide.
>
> Michael Moloney
> moloney.icloud@gmail.com (mailto:moloney.icloud%40gmail.com)
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web