3/18/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8793

Messages In This Digest (18 Messages)

1.
ADMIN (was Re: [macsupport] NPR Retracts Negative Story Foxconn Fact From: Michel Munger
2a.
Re: Lion, Safari and zooming From: Jim Smith
2b.
Re: Lion, Safari and zooming From: Barbara Adamski
3a.
Re: Suddenly no sound From: JanetW
4a.
Safari & PDF trouble From: Rob Frankel
4b.
Re: Safari & PDF trouble From: Jim Saklad
4c.
Re: Safari & PDF trouble From: Jay Abraham
5a.
Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes From: Daly Jessup
5b.
Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes From: N.A. Nada
6a.
adding mp3 books to iTunes From: Tanya Metaksa
6b.
Re: adding mp3 books to iTunes From: Harry Flaxman
6c.
Re: adding mp3 books to iTunes From: Metaksa Tanya
6d.
Re: adding mp3 books to iTunes From: Harry Flaxman
7.
Apple TV: trashing viewed podcasts From: Ken
8a.
Thunderbolt Stuff From: Harry Flaxman
8b.
Re: Thunderbolt Stuff From: Harry Flaxman
9a.
Mac Mail From: Vincent MacIsaac
9b.
Re: Mac Mail From: Otto Nikolaus

Messages

1.

ADMIN (was Re: [macsupport] NPR Retracts Negative Story Foxconn Fact

Posted by: "Michel Munger" michel@macsupportcentral.com   mmungermtl

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:28 am (PDT)



Everyone: this is FAR away from our topic.

Please stop replying to this thread.

Michel (Group owner)

2a.

Re: Lion, Safari and zooming

Posted by: "Jim Smith" jas1931@gmail.com   jimmacsmith

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:31 pm (PDT)



Barb,
Thanks for asking that question.

Thanks, Earle.

I like it.... now that I know what caused it and how to handle it.

Jim Smith
www.rvcarelogbook.com

On Mar 16, 2012, at 1:34 AM, Barb Adamski wrote:

> Thanks, Earle.
>
> I'll look at the preferences tomorrow and play around with it. I don't dislike the feature, I just don't know how to use it properly.
>
> Barb
>
> Barbara K. Adamski
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 2012-03-15, at 10:23 PM, Earle Jones <earle.jones@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>
>> On Mar 15, 12, at 9:25 PM, Barbara Adamski wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there.
>>>
>>> I recently upgraded to Lion and so far I like it. I'm really confused about Safari, though. I keep accidentally zooming in. I don't know how I'm doing it, though, because it's always some unintentional mouse action that I can't seem to replicate when I do actually want to zoom in.
>>>
>>> I've reviewed a couple of Apple's videos, but still can't seem to figure it out.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? I'm on an iMac and am using the magic mouse, or whatever it's called...
>>>
>>> Barb
>>
>> *
>> Barb: That "zooming in" is very frustrating and it caught me in the middle of a presentation a few weeks ago.
>>
>> It is caused by an inadvertent tapping of the mouse (or track pad). In system 10.7 "Lion" the new "gestures" feature is implemented. In many programs a small double tap on the mouse or track pad will cause the zoom in. Just double tap the mouse or track pad and it will zoom out again. Don't click the mouse, just a light touch double tap.
>>
>> Not all programs are affected. For example, Mac Mail is not affected, but "Safari" and many others are.
>>
>> Go to "System Preferences" and click on "Mouse" and then "More Gestures" to get a demo of this activity. You can turn it off if you like. If you use a trackpad, go to System Preferences and click on "TrackPad" for the same instructions.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> earle
>> *
>> _______________________
>> Earle Jones 
>> 501 Portola Road #8008
>> Portola Valley CA 94028
>> Home: 650-424-4362
>> Cell: 650-269-0035
>> earle.jones@comcast.net
>>
>>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2b.

Re: Lion, Safari and zooming

Posted by: "Barbara Adamski" adamski@telus.net   bkadamski

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:26 pm (PDT)



I just played around with it today and figured it out. I like it too. It zooms the area around your cursor, so it's very useful.

Barb

On 2012-03-17, at 12:31 PM, Jim Smith wrote:

> Barb,
> Thanks for asking that question.
>
> Thanks, Earle.
>
> I like it.... now that I know what caused it and how to handle it.
>
> Jim Smith
> www.rvcarelogbook.com
>
> On Mar 16, 2012, at 1:34 AM, Barb Adamski wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Earle.
> >
> > I'll look at the preferences tomorrow and play around with it. I don't dislike the feature, I just don't know how to use it properly.
> >
> > Barb
> >
> > Barbara K. Adamski
> > Sent from my iPad
> >
> > On 2012-03-15, at 10:23 PM, Earle Jones <earle.jones@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> On Mar 15, 12, at 9:25 PM, Barbara Adamski wrote:
> >>
> >>> Hi there.
> >>>
> >>> I recently upgraded to Lion and so far I like it. I'm really confused about Safari, though. I keep accidentally zooming in. I don't know how I'm doing it, though, because it's always some unintentional mouse action that I can't seem to replicate when I do actually want to zoom in.
> >>>
> >>> I've reviewed a couple of Apple's videos, but still can't seem to figure it out.
> >>>
> >>> Any suggestions? I'm on an iMac and am using the magic mouse, or whatever it's called...
> >>>
> >>> Barb
> >>
> >> *
> >> Barb: That "zooming in" is very frustrating and it caught me in the middle of a presentation a few weeks ago.
> >>
> >> It is caused by an inadvertent tapping of the mouse (or track pad). In system 10.7 "Lion" the new "gestures" feature is implemented. In many programs a small double tap on the mouse or track pad will cause the zoom in. Just double tap the mouse or track pad and it will zoom out again. Don't click the mouse, just a light touch double tap.
> >>
> >> Not all programs are affected. For example, Mac Mail is not affected, but "Safari" and many others are.
> >>
> >> Go to "System Preferences" and click on "Mouse" and then "More Gestures" to get a demo of this activity. You can turn it off if you like. If you use a trackpad, go to System Preferences and click on "TrackPad" for the same instructions.
> >>
> >> Good luck!
> >>
> >> earle
> >> *
> >> _______________________
> >> Earle Jones 
> >> 501 Portola Road #8008
> >> Portola Valley CA 94028
> >> Home: 650-424-4362
> >> Cell: 650-269-0035
> >> earle.jones@comcast.net
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Group FAQ:
> > <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3a.

Re: Suddenly no sound

Posted by: "JanetW" garden1@cox.net   kidsanddogs.geo

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:36 pm (PDT)



Thanks for your reply. I had done everything including your suggestions and things were still greyed out and muted. I had also restarted to no avail. However, I had not shut down the computer completely and when I shut it down and restarted, the problem was fixed. I'm not sure how, because I had never checked mute anywhere, but now the muting is unchecked due to the shut down and restart. Thanks again for your help.

> For that matter, when you go to the sound preference pane (I'm in
> 10.6 and you are in 10.7 so it might be different for you) make sure
> that you have not checked the mute box.
> --
> Barry Austern
> barryaus@...
>

4a.

Safari & PDF trouble

Posted by: "Rob Frankel" rob@robfrankel.com   robfrankeldotcom

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:45 pm (PDT)



Anyone else noticing Safari's increasing inability to correctly
download/print PDF files from various web sites? I'm finding more
and more sites (Chase bank, Costco) will either "print largest frame"
or if it does recognize it as a PDF, only downloads 75% of each page.
Firefox has no problem.

If you have discovered this issue and fixed it, please share!

I'm running:

MBP 10.6.8
Safari 5.1.4 with only extension being AdBlock 2.5.1.9 (tried it
disabled, same thing)

--
Rob Frankel, Branding Expert
Twitter: @brandingexpert http://www.RobFrankel.com
http://www.PeerMailing.com http://www.i-legions.com
http://www.FrankelAnderson.com
Yes, there's an RSS feed blog, if you can handle it:
http://www.robfrankelblog.com

4b.

Re: Safari & PDF trouble

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:17 pm (PDT)



> Anyone else noticing Safari's increasing inability to correctly download/print PDF files from various web sites? I'm finding more and more sites (Chase bank, Costco) will either "print largest frame" or if it does recognize it as a PDF, only downloads 75% of each page.
> Firefox has no problem.
>
> If you have discovered this issue and fixed it, please share!

Haven't fixed it 'cause it doesn't happen here....

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

4c.

Re: Safari & PDF trouble

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:28 pm (PDT)



Yes with Chase but no idea what is causing it.

Jay

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 17, 2012, at 2:42 PM, Rob Frankel <rob@robfrankel.com> wrote:

> Anyone else noticing Safari's increasing inability to correctly
> download/print PDF files from various web sites? I'm finding more
> and more sites (Chase bank, Costco) will either "print largest frame"
> or if it does recognize it as a PDF, only downloads 75% of each page.
> Firefox has no problem.
>
> If you have discovered this issue and fixed it, please share!
>
> I'm running:
>
> MBP 10.6.8
> Safari 5.1.4 with only extension being AdBlock 2.5.1.9 (tried it
> disabled, same thing)
>
> --
> Rob Frankel, Branding Expert

5a.

Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:08 pm (PDT)



On Mar 16, 2012, at 11:32 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:
>>>
>>> From there, all the Apps "jiggling" that way fro the home screen, you should see a black dot with an X in it. Press the X, and you should get a dialog box asking if you want to delete that app and all its related data. The choices at that point are delete or cancel.
>>>
>> Wierdly, I don't see the "X". They just keep jiggling. And in the last two days, I upgraded from iPhone 3GS to i Phone 4RS and still don't see the "X" while they are al jiggling.
>> Daly
>
> I don't know what to say, other than to ask about it at the Genius Bar. I think it is more likely we're not communicating, that a software issue.

This is solved. I knew something was weird when I still didn't see the "X" after switching to a brand new iPhone 4S this week. I finally found that the built-in apps on the main page don't show an X. I swiped to the next page of icons, which were not built-in apps, and they all had the X.

Thanks very much.

Daly

_________________________________________________________
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 27" screen, OS X 10.6.8,
AMD Radeon HD 6970M video, wired Apple mouse and keyboard. Partition: GUID Partition Table.

5b.

Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:53 pm (PDT)




On Mar 17, 2012, at 1:08 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2012, at 11:32 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:
> >>>
> >>> From there, all the Apps "jiggling" that way fro the home screen, you should see a black dot with an X in it. Press the X, and you should get a dialog box asking if you want to delete that app and all its related data. The choices at that point are delete or cancel.
> >>>
> >> Wierdly, I don't see the "X". They just keep jiggling. And in the last two days, I upgraded from iPhone 3GS to i Phone 4RS and still don't see the "X" while they are al jiggling.
> >> Daly
> >
> > I don't know what to say, other than to ask about it at the Genius Bar. I think it is more likely we're not communicating, that a software issue.
>
> This is solved. I knew something was weird when I still didn't see the "X" after switching to a brand new iPhone 4S this week. I finally found that the built-in apps on the main page don't show an X. I swiped to the next page of icons, which were not built-in apps, and they all had the X.

Ah, good. I had assumed you had at least one non-built-in app on your first page.

Brent
6a.

adding mp3 books to iTunes

Posted by: "Tanya Metaksa" tanya.metaksa@att.net   tanya.metaksa@att.net

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:25 pm (PDT)



My husband has received a number of audio books on MP3 disks. I have been trying to copy them to my MacBook Pro and then to his iPod touch.
The files copy over to the Mac and then when I find them in iTunes they seem to be classified as "Music" and the tracks seem to be all mixed up.
I want to put them in the Books section and then transfer them to the iPod. Can anyone help me?

TIA
Tanya
6b.

Re: adding mp3 books to iTunes

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:31 pm (PDT)



On 3/17/2012 6:25 PM, Tanya Metaksa wrote:
> My husband has received a number of audio books on MP3 disks. I have been trying to copy them to my MacBook Pro and then to his iPod touch.
> The files copy over to the Mac and then when I find them in iTunes they seem to be classified as "Music" and the tracks seem to be all mixed up.
> I want to put them in the Books section and then transfer them to the iPod. Can anyone help me?
>

All you have to do is highlight the tracks that you want to change the
media type for. Right click and select get-info, or use command-i.
Then change the media type, under options, to audiobook.

Harry

6c.

Re: adding mp3 books to iTunes

Posted by: "Metaksa Tanya" tanya.metaksa@gmail.com   tmetaksa@att.net

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:56 pm (PDT)



Thanks Harry,
But what is the media type I want to change them to? aax or what?
Thanks,
Tanya
On Mar 17, 2012, at 3:31 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> On 3/17/2012 6:25 PM, Tanya Metaksa wrote:
> > My husband has received a number of audio books on MP3 disks. I have been trying to copy them to my MacBook Pro and then to his iPod touch.
> > The files copy over to the Mac and then when I find them in iTunes they seem to be classified as "Music" and the tracks seem to be all mixed up.
> > I want to put them in the Books section and then transfer them to the iPod. Can anyone help me?
> >
>
> All you have to do is highlight the tracks that you want to change the
> media type for. Right click and select get-info, or use command-i.
> Then change the media type, under options, to audiobook.
>
> Harry
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6d.

Re: adding mp3 books to iTunes

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:03 am (PDT)



On 3/17/2012 10:56 PM, Metaksa Tanya wrote:
> Thanks Harry,
> But what is the media type I want to change them to? aax or what?
> Thanks,
> Tanya
> On Mar 17, 2012, at 3:31 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:
>

Sounds like you're not in the right place. Try one track, right or
ctrl-click on it. Then, either select 'get info' from the contextual
menu (drop down), or hold down command-i. The results should be a
window with info on that track. Within that window, choose the options
pane. You will see a 'media type' field there. Select 'audiobook'.

THe media type in this instance, is not the file type, rather, a tag
that the system uses to determine what kind of media file iTunes 'sees'
it as.

Harry

7.

Apple TV: trashing viewed podcasts

Posted by: "Ken" avlisk@cox.net   avliska

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:36 pm (PDT)



Magic! I just bought my first ever AppleTV. It is blowing my mind with what it does. It's magical. My question is, now that I can view downloaded iTunes podcasts on my HDTV instead of on my MacBook Air, will I need to manually delete the viewed-on-AppleTV podcasts from my computer, or, does the whole system know the podcasts were viewed on the AppleTV and they'll continue to be recognized as "viewed" , and automatically delete from the computer?
Thanks.
Ken Silva

8a.

Thunderbolt Stuff

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:47 pm (PDT)



I don't know if anyone has been paying attention, but the market is
starting to really 'sprout' Thunderbolt devices.

I just watched a demo of the Seagate Thunderbolt Flex adapter. Quite
amazing. One can basically take any drive, SATA etc., and integrate it
on the Thunderbolt bus. The speeds seem dramatically better. This
means you can take a previously used internal drive and adapt it to
Thundrbolt.

Not to be outdone, LaCie introduced a Thunderbolt drive, albeit
expensive, 2 weeks ago.

I think I might go with the 'Flex'. It is $190 retail, but inexpensive
compared to the rest.

Of course, the T-bolt cable must be bought from Apple for $49. What's
up with that???

Harry

8b.

Re: Thunderbolt Stuff

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:26 pm (PDT)



On 3/17/2012 7:46 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:
> I don't know if anyone has been paying attention, but the market is
> starting to really 'sprout' Thunderbolt devices.
>
> I just watched a demo of the Seagate Thunderbolt Flex adapter. Quite
> amazing. One can basically take any drive, SATA etc., and integrate it
> on the Thunderbolt bus. The speeds seem dramatically better. This
> means you can take a previously used internal drive and adapt it to
> Thundrbolt.
>
> Not to be outdone, LaCie introduced a Thunderbolt drive, albeit
> expensive, 2 weeks ago.
>
Correction here:

Where I mentioned 'flex' it is GoFlex!!!

Harry

>

9a.

Mac Mail

Posted by: "Vincent MacIsaac" simply.vinnie@gmail.com   unclevinnnie

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:58 pm (PDT)




I want to export my Mac Mail Signatures and rules if possible. I need to import them to my new computer.

Can anyone help?


VINNIE!

--o--o--o--o--o--o-

"We're on a mission from God!"

--Elwood Blues (Blues Brothers)

simply.vinnie@gmail.com
facebook.com/vincent.macisaac
twitter.com/VinceMacIsaac

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

9b.

Re: Mac Mail

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:45 am (PDT)



You can use Migration Assistant to copy over all your files and preferences.

Otto

On 18 March 2012 04:58, Vincent MacIsaac <simply.vinnie@gmail.com> wrote:

>
> I want to export my Mac Mail Signatures and rules if possible. I need to
> import them to my new computer.
>
> Can anyone help?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web