11/28/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 9255

15 New Messages

Digest #9255
1a
1b
Re: iCal: Google Account vs. Delegates? by "Gijzette Strickland" gijzette
3a
3c
3g
4a
Re: IPhone 4 running apps bar by "HAL9000" jrswebhome

Messages

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:22 am (PST) . Posted by:

"T Hopkins" todhop

I have a new problem with my Google calendars appearing twice in iCal. The calendars are not new. Have had them appearing in iCal for years, first as "subscriptions," then as Google "Delegates".

The duplication started maybe a month or two ago. I can see both "copies" in the side bar. All the calendars I "own" now appear under what I think is a new sidebar category, "Google Accounts" as well as under "Delegates" where they historically appeared. I don't remember there being a Google Account category in the side bar before this. If there was one, it only listed my "main" calendar.

I can change visibility off for one set or the other so that only one iteration is visible, but there are several reasons this is not desirable. The most important is that there appears to be some link between them, so changing one set doesn't "stick" over time and at some point changes the other.

I tried deleting all the "Delegates" but when I did this, the Google Accounts listings all vanished and I had to rebuild all the delegates. Sometimes the "Google Accounts" listings all just disappear (except for the main calendar) for no obvious reason.

At this point, I'm confused about what is actually happening here and looking for clues or clarification.

This is in Snow Leopard so I don't think this is an iCloud issue.

I also have a brand new listing for my Mail IMAP account "Mail To Do." I understand what's happening there and I don't think it's related, but thought I should mention it.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:07 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Gijzette Strickland" gijzette

Mine is doing the same thing, just started recently. I am also using Snow
Leopard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gijzette Strickland - Elfin Bears™ -
OOAK Miniature Bears and Friends
http://www.elfinbears.com
http://twitter.com/ElfinBears
"It is astonishing how many thoroughly mature, well-adjusted grown-ups
harbor a teddy bear - which is perhaps why they are thoroughly mature and
well-adjusted." ~~Joseph Lempa.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM, T Hopkins <hoplist@hillmanncarr.com> wrote:

> I have a new problem with my Google calendars appearing twice in iCal.
> The calendars are not new. Have had them appearing in iCal for years,
> first as "subscriptions," then as Google "Delegates".
>
> The duplication started maybe a month or two ago. I can see both "copies"
> in the side bar. All the calendars I "own" now appear under what I think
> is a new sidebar category, "Google Accounts" as well as under "Delegates"
> where they historically appeared. I don't remember there being a Google
> Account category in the side bar before this. If there was one, it only
> listed my "main" calendar.
>
> I can change visibility off for one set or the other so that only one
> iteration is visible, but there are several reasons this is not desirable.
> The most important is that there appears to be some link between them, so
> changing one set doesn't "stick" over time and at some point changes the
> other.
>
> I tried deleting all the "Delegates" but when I did this, the Google
> Accounts listings all vanished and I had to rebuild all the delegates.
> Sometimes the "Google Accounts" listings all just disappear (except for
> the main calendar) for no obvious reason.
>
> At this point, I'm confused about what is actually happening here and
> looking for clues or clarification.
>
> This is in Snow Leopard so I don't think this is an iCloud issue.
>
> I also have a brand new listing for my Mail IMAP account "Mail To Do." I
> understand what's happening there and I don't think it's related, but
> thought I should mention it.
>
> Cheers,
> tod
>
> Tod Hopkins
> Hillmann & Carr Inc.
> todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:43 am (PST) . Posted by:

"T Hopkins" todhop

Yep. Yesterday I deselected visibility for all the "Delegate" versions, leaving the "Google Accounts" versions selected. This was fine for the day. This morning, upon opening the laptop (Calendar still running), the Google Accounts calendar listings are all gone. Except the main one which is NOT linked as a delegate since it's never needed to be.

I think that the delegate function is still necessary. The bug is the duplicate appearance as a Google Account. Next time I'll try deselecting the view of the Google Accounts and see if that sticks. Haven't done that yet because I was hoping it would work the other way around. ;)

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

On Nov 27, 2012, at 6:07 PM, Gijzette Strickland wrote:

> Mine is doing the same thing, just started recently. I am also using Snow
> Leopard.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Gijzette Strickland - Elfin BearsË™ -
> OOAK Miniature Bears and Friends
> http://www.elfinbears.com
> http://twitter.com/ElfinBears
> "It is astonishing how many thoroughly mature, well-adjusted grown-ups
> harbor a teddy bear - which is perhaps why they are thoroughly mature and
> well-adjusted." ~~Joseph Lempa.
>
>
>
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM, T Hopkins <hoplist@hillmanncarr.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a new problem with my Google calendars appearing twice in iCal.
>> The calendars are not new. Have had them appearing in iCal for years,
>> first as "subscriptions," then as Google "Delegates".
>>
>> The duplication started maybe a month or two ago. I can see both "copies"
>> in the side bar. All the calendars I "own" now appear under what I think
>> is a new sidebar category, "Google Accounts" as well as under "Delegates"
>> where they historically appeared. I don't remember there being a Google
>> Account category in the side bar before this. If there was one, it only
>> listed my "main" calendar.
>>
>> I can change visibility off for one set or the other so that only one
>> iteration is visible, but there are several reasons this is not desirable.
>> The most important is that there appears to be some link between them, so
>> changing one set doesn't "stick" over time and at some point changes the
>> other.
>>
>> I tried deleting all the "Delegates" but when I did this, the Google
>> Accounts listings all vanished and I had to rebuild all the delegates.
>> Sometimes the "Google Accounts" listings all just disappear (except for
>> the main calendar) for no obvious reason.
>>
>> At this point, I'm confused about what is actually happening here and
>> looking for clues or clarification.
>>
>> This is in Snow Leopard so I don't think this is an iCloud issue.
>>
>> I also have a brand new listing for my Mail IMAP account "Mail To Do." I
>> understand what's happening there and I don't think it's related, but
>> thought I should mention it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> tod
>>
>> Tod Hopkins
>> Hillmann & Carr Inc.
>> todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Group FAQ:
>> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>>
>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:42 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Dave C" davec2468

> When I select any mp3 file in Finder and press the Space bar, the file progresses (the progress bar indicator moves; the time counts down) but audio is silent. If I use any number of audio players to play the file (including iTunes) it sounds just fine.
> ...
> Dave C.

-=-=-=-

I just tried other files in Finder using Quick Look: all audio files (.mp3, .aif, .wav) and some .avi videos will not play in Finder (.mov play OK).

Also, I just checked another Mac I have, also with 10.6.8 Snow Leopard installed, and the same problem exists there (no audio heard using Quick Look with audio files).

These Macs are on the same LAN but otherwise not related (ie, one was not migrated from the other).

I just re-installed 10.6.8 updater 1.1 to the 2011 mini with Snow Leopard: the problem persists.

Truly weird.

Thanks,
Dave

2011 Mini 2.7 GHz dual i7 / 16 GB / 250 GB & 750 GB
OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:35 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"T Hopkins" todhop

This looks like it can help.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57355404-263/fixing-quick-look-issues-in-os-x/

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

On Nov 27, 2012, at 2:42 PM, Dave C wrote:

> > When I select any mp3 file in Finder and press the Space bar, the file progresses (the progress bar indicator moves; the time counts down) but audio is silent. If I use any number of audio players to play the file (including iTunes) it sounds just fine.
> > ...
> > Dave C.
>
> -=-=-=-
>
> I just tried other files in Finder using Quick Look: all audio files (.mp3, .aif, .wav) and some .avi videos will not play in Finder (.mov play OK).
>
> Also, I just checked another Mac I have, also with 10.6.8 Snow Leopard installed, and the same problem exists there (no audio heard using Quick Look with audio files).
>
> These Macs are on the same LAN but otherwise not related (ie, one was not migrated from the other).
>
> I just re-installed 10.6.8 updater 1.1 to the 2011 mini with Snow Leopard: the problem persists.
>
> Truly weird.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
> 2011 Mini 2.7 GHz dual i7 / 16 GB / 250 GB & 750 GB
> OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:07 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Dave C" davec2468

> This looks like it can help.
>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57355404-263/fixing-quick-look-issues-in-os-x/
> ...
> tod

-=-=-=-

Followed the instructions. No joy.

Thanks,
Dave

2011 Mini 2.7 GHz dual i7 / 16 GB / 250 GB & 750 GB
OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:57 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

Try this page for some suggestions on recovery tools:
http://alternativeto.net/software/testdisk/

I was going to suggest FileSalvage, but it does not recover floppy disks.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "FredPolka" <FPZISM@...> wrote:
>
> Hallo,
> I have files done in the 90's on Floppy disks, A lot are MIDI files used for arranging. I have an external floppy drive connected to my iMac.
> Some of these disks will open and let me at the files so that I can transfer them. Many won't.
> Does anyone know how to get floppy disks to read, or where I can take or send them to save the info on them.
>
> Thanks for any help or info.
>
> Fred Ziwich
> North Olmsted, Ohio
> FredPolka@...
>

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:28 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Fred, what OS are you currently using & what Mac? The old software may not operate on your current system.

Also, don't forget that the data on floppies did sometimes fail, and if they are 20 years old.

The suggested recovery tool, sounds more like it is for hard drives, not floppy discs.

On Nov 27, 2012, at 6:23 AM, FredPolka wrote:

Hallo,
I have files done in the 90's on Floppy disks, A lot are MIDI files used for arranging. I have an external floppy drive connected to my iMac.
Some of these disks will open and let me at the files so that I can transfer them. Many won't.
Does anyone know how to get floppy disks to read, or where I can take or send them to save the info on them.

Thanks for any help or info.

Fred Ziwich

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:20 am (PST) . Posted by:

"John Engberg" mrbyte

You probably will be able to read the 800K disks, but you won't be able to read the 400K disks.

On Nov 27, 2012, at 11:28 PM, N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> Fred, what OS are you currently using & what Mac? The old software may not operate on your current system.
>
> Also, don't forget that the data on floppies did sometimes fail, and if they are 20 years old.
>
> The suggested recovery tool, sounds more like it is for hard drives, not floppy discs.
>
>
> On Nov 27, 2012, at 6:23 AM, FredPolka wrote:
>
> Hallo,
> I have files done in the 90's on Floppy disks, A lot are MIDI files used for arranging. I have an external floppy drive connected to my iMac.
> Some of these disks will open and let me at the files so that I can transfer them. Many won't.
> Does anyone know how to get floppy disks to read, or where I can take or send them to save the info on them.
>
> Thanks for any help or info.
>
> Fred Ziwich
>

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:01 am (PST) . Posted by:

"T Hopkins" todhop

I am sorry to say your prospects are not good. We have forgotten how unreliable floppies were. They fail at a very high rate and have major compatibility issues compared to todays technologies. At 20 years old, I would expect the majority of those floppies to be unreadable.

Your primary efforts should be directed at finding as many working drives as you can and trying the floppies in all of them. Very old drives that still function are as likely, even more likely, to be successful then new ones. If you can find vintage Apple's with working drives, try these. Talk to your local Mac User Group. Ideally, you want to read a floppy using the same drive and system that wrote it, but that's not going to happen. If these are very old, then very old drives are your best bet.

I am not familiar with floppy recovery software. I think it is unlikely that any casual (i.e. "cheap") software is going to help. The data recovery routines built into the old OS's are actually pretty robust. The OS will try pretty hard before it gives up.

There are professional packages (or were) that will allow you to read and recover "raw" data at a forensic level, but this is complicated work and generally directed at recovering textual data, not binary data. For binary files, including MIDI files, it's all or nothing. And software can't solve the basic weak signal or drive incompatibility problems which are most common. Floppy failure is generally at the "hardware" level.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

On Nov 27, 2012, at 9:23 AM, FredPolka wrote:

> Hallo,
> I have files done in the 90's on Floppy disks, A lot are MIDI files used for arranging. I have an external floppy drive connected to my iMac.
> Some of these disks will open and let me at the files so that I can transfer them. Many won't.
> Does anyone know how to get floppy disks to read, or where I can take or send them to save the info on them.
>
> Thanks for any help or info.
>
> Fred Ziwich
> North Olmsted, Ohio
> FredPolka@yahoo.com
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:57 am (PST) . Posted by:

"OBrien" conorboru

You might consider finding, on eBay or somewhere, an old Mac that can read floppies, or an old Mac plus an old floppy drive.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

O'Brien ¡V¡V¡V ¡V... .-. .. . -.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:01 am (PST) . Posted by:

"OBrien" conorboru

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 07:57:00 -0600, OBrien wrote:
> You might consider finding, on eBay or somewhere, an old Mac that
> can read floppies, or an old Mac plus an old floppy drive.

A working 7100, 7300, or 7500 would be ideal. (I think those model numbers are correct.)


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

O'Brien ¡V¡V¡V ¡V... .-. .. . -.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:18 am (PST) . Posted by:

"FredPolka" fredpolka



Thank You for the comments and suggestions so far.
The iMac G5 that I have the floppy disk connected to runs OS 10.4.11. It also has a version of Classic 9. I have 2 newer computers that I now do my recording and arranging on.
The one recovery program that I downloaded yesterday, said that it was compatibile with 10.3.9 and above, but isn't.
I found the comment about the 400k and 800k disks interesting. That might be the case, but I don't think so. Some disks that used to open, even last year, won't now.

(Be glad I'm not asking for a 8-track player)

Fred Ziwich

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:12 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

Restoring completely and not from backup did not solve this issue.
Appreciate the list's patience w a sorta off topic question.
I may have to see if it is a hardware issue. Thanks.

I still wish there were one way to call up the "Recent Apps",
completely separate from Keyboard & Home.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, paul smith <kullervo@...> wrote:
>
> Try the reset routine described here:
> <http://osxdaily.com/2011/12/22/iphone-home-button-not-working-or-unresponsive-fix/>
> If that doesn't help, take it to an Apple Store doe repairs.
> --
> PSmith
> MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.8.2 iPhone 4S 64 GB, iOS 6.0.1
>
>
>
> On Nov 26, 2012, at 7:50 PM, HAL9000 <jrswebhome@...> wrote:
>
> > I double click the home button and get any of three screens
> > instead of one. Anyone got a solution? jr
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:48 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Michael Grant" maclingua

Hi all! I've been getting the following two messages in the console every
few seconds:

11/28/12 12:35:26.003 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[235]:
(com.hyperwords.liquidwordsfree.loginitemhelper[1174]) Exited with code: 1
11/28/12 12:35:26.003 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[235]:
(com.hyperwords.liquidwordsfree.loginitemhelper) Throttling respawn: Will
start in 10 seconds

I looked in ~/Library/LaunchAgents, /Library/LaunchAgents,
/Library/LaunchDaemons, and /Library/StartupItems as well as my Login Items
in the prefpane, but don't see anything that looks relevant. I do have
Liquid installed, but quitting it doesn't seem to make a difference, and I
can't find anything in my processes that looks like a helper daemon or
something.

Any idea what's going on?

Mucho thanko!
Michael

--
There's really no such thing as translating. It's all a scam. We basically
just make stuff up and try to make it sound plausible.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE