8/22/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 9078

6 New Messages

Digest #9078
1a
1b
1c
Re: firefox problem with my mac G5 by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
1d
Re: firefox problem with my mac G5 by "gicleeman" gicleeman
1e
Re: firefox problem with my mac G5 by "gicleeman" gicleeman
2a
Re: Photoshop shortcut question by "gicleeman" gicleeman

Messages

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:55 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"OBrien" conorboru

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 14:01:45 -0000, dalepavlicek wrote:
> Fire fox puts up a yellow requester saying I need to update some of
> the plug ins Iam using. I try to up date ,but all the plugin's are
> for a newer version Of what I have and will not run on my g5 or the
> version of firefox I have.
> The requester KEEP's comming up all the time,gets in the way and
> moves things positions on the screen as it shows up.
> 1. Is there a better program or as good as firefox for my Mac?
> 2. How do I get rid of the requester asking to update?

Same thing happens with my G5 running FF 3.6.25. If there's a way to get rid of the yellow bar, I don't know how. I think you just have to ignore it.

One plug-in update it wants is probably Flash, which can't be used on your system. I'm not sure if it's because of the G5, or because it needs a later OSX to run.

I tried opening a site in Safari that I always get the yellow bar for in FF, and didn't get a notice in Safari. Maybe, it's a pref setting.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

O'Brien ––– –... .-. .. . -.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:04 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"OBrien" conorboru

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 09:55:20 -0500, OBrien wrote:
> One plug-in update it wants is probably Flash, which can't be used
> on your system. I'm not sure if it's because of the G5, or because
> it needs a later OSX to run.

But, of course, it Safari won't run a Flash video on a webpage, either, because I have an old Flash that can't be updated. So, I don't get anything like the yellow bar with Safari, but I still get a request for a Flash update when I click on the video...just like in FF.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

O'Brien ––– –... .-. .. . -.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:26 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

Have you tried Camino?
<http://caminobrowser.org/>
It's Mozilla-based but much less resource-hungry than FF.

Otto

On 22 August 2012 15:01, dalepavlicek <yash@aol.com> wrote:

> Using the latest fire fox ,that will run on my Mac G5having the
> following problem:
> Fire fox puts up a yellow requester saying I need to update some of
> the plug ins Iam using. I try to up date ,but all the plugin's are for a
> newer version Of what I have and will not run on my g5 or the version of
> firefox I have.
> The requester KEEP's comming up all the time,gets in the way and moves
> things positions on the screen as it shows up.
> 1. Is there a better program or as good as firefox for my Mac?
> 2. How do I get rid of the requester asking to update?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:10 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"gicleeman" gicleeman

In the prefs, go to "Advanced" and then click on the "Update" tab. Then simply uncheck the options that are presented.

Peter

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "dalepavlicek" <yash@...> wrote:
>
> Using the latest fire fox ,that will run on my Mac G5having the following problem:
> Fire fox puts up a yellow requester saying I need to update some of the plug ins Iam using. I try to up date ,but all the plugin's are for a newer version Of what I have and will not run on my g5 or the version of firefox I have.
> The requester KEEP's comming up all the time,gets in the way and moves things positions on the screen as it shows up.
> 1. Is there a better program or as good as firefox for my Mac?
> 2. How do I get rid of the requester asking to update?
>
> thanks for any help
> dale
>

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:32 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"gicleeman" gicleeman

Seems like the obvious thing to do, but after trying out my suggestion (I get those reminders too), I've found out that it doesn't work as I expected it would.
So, as Emily Litella would say ... never mind.

Peter

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "gicleeman" <gicleeman@...> wrote:
>
> In the prefs, go to "Advanced" and then click on the "Update" tab. Then simply uncheck the options that are presented.
>
> Peter
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "dalepavlicek" <yash@> wrote:
> >
> > Using the latest fire fox ,that will run on my Mac G5having the following problem:
> > Fire fox puts up a yellow requester saying I need to update some of the plug ins Iam using. I try to up date ,but all the plugin's are for a newer version Of what I have and will not run on my g5 or the version of firefox I have.
> > The requester KEEP's comming up all the time,gets in the way and moves things positions on the screen as it shows up.
> > 1. Is there a better program or as good as firefox for my Mac?
> > 2. How do I get rid of the requester asking to update?
> >
> > thanks for any help
> > dale
> >
>

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:33 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"gicleeman" gicleeman

Barb
I went ahead and tried to create an action myself to see if I could figure this out.
Keep in mind that I'm using OS 10.4.11 and PS CS4, but it shouldn't make any difference if you're using a different version.
After you've created and saved the action, open a photo and then the actions palette window. Click on your newly created action to select it, and then go to the "action options" in the drop down menu in the upper right corner of the actions palette and choose a function key to make the action work. I picked f13 for my test since it wasn't being used for anything else according to my Sys Prefs. That should do it. Hope it works for you.

Peter

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Adamski <adamski@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Peter.
>
> That's part of the problem, though. I don't know what command to assign the key, since the author missed that little detail. Had she given me the terminology to accurately assign a function, I would know what to do (I hope). Or is "run the action" all I need to tell it to do?
>
> Barb
>
> On 2012-08-21, at 8:23 AM, "gicleeman" <gicleeman@...> wrote:
>
> > First I'll qualify my answer by saying I haven't done this myself, so I'm really just throwing out a suggestion based on my quick read of the instructions you linked to.
> > Where the author says to choose f11 to run the action, instead choose a different key that isn't already used by the OS. If you go to your System prefs > Keyboard and Mouse, you'll see that f11 is used to show your desktop. You can assign a different key or key combination for Photoshop specifically. So assign a key and enter that in the dialog box for the watermark automation.
> > Please let us know if it works or if you run into other problems.
> >
> > Peter
> >
> > --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Adamski <adamski@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I went through the steps on this site to figure out how to automate watermarks in Photoshop http://www.photographyblog.com/articles/how_to_create_a_watermark_in_photoshop/2/
> > >
> > > Everything was fine until I got to Step 18:
> > >
> > > 18. Now it's important to test that your action works. Open a different photo and click F11, which should add your copyright instantly. If it adds the copyright watermark you created, you've done it!
> > >
> > > F11 on my computer clears the desktop. How can I perform the task they intend for me to do? They give me no indication of what exactly I'm supposed to do.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any insight you can provide. I am using CS5.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Barb
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE