3/05/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8773

Messages In This Digest (14 Messages)

1a.
Re: XiphQT From: Otto Nikolaus
2a.
Re: moving Mail to a new computer From: Otto Nikolaus
2b.
Re: moving Mail to a new computer From: Otto Nikolaus
2c.
Re: moving Mail to a new computer From: Louise Stewart
2d.
Re: moving Mail to a new computer From: Denver Dan
2e.
Re: moving Mail to a new computer From: Otto Nikolaus
2f.
Re: moving Mail to a new computer From: Louise Stewart
2g.
Re: moving Mail to a new computer From: Louise Stewart
2h.
Re: moving Mail to a new computer From: Denver dan
3.1.
Re: Google/Privacy Should we be worried? From: Tod Hopkins
3.2.
Re: Google/Privacy Should we be worried? From: Tod Hopkins
4a.
Re: iPhoto library question From: Andrew Buc
4b.
Re: iPhoto library question From: HAL9000
4c.
Re: iPhoto library question From: Otto Nikolaus

Messages

1a.

Re: XiphQT

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Sun Mar 4, 2012 5:58 am (PST)



Could you give us the Wikipedia link so we can try it?

Otto

On 4 March 2012 01:42, Oneal Neumann <wardell.h.s@gmail.com> wrote:

>
> I couldn't play an audioclip on Wikipedia and I was directed to download
> XiphQT, which I did. I chose to download the larger-size one, not the
> version described as 'only decoders'.
>
> I still can't get the Wikipedia audioclip to play. How do I get my plugin
> to work?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: moving Mail to a new computer

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Sun Mar 4, 2012 6:10 am (PST)



On 4 March 2012 06:16, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@me.com> wrote:

>
> I would have started with the basic state the Mini came in, booted the G4
> into Firewire Target Disk Mode, and run Migration Assistant on the *Mini*.
>
> This would transfer your entire User account to the Mini from the G4. Then
> you run Mail on the Mini to update the accounts.
>

Yes, unless you have a *very* good reason to do it the hard way.

Otto

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2b.

Re: moving Mail to a new computer

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Sun Mar 4, 2012 6:13 am (PST)



Louise,

Do you not have a router? Do you access the internet using a modem (cable,
DSL, or dial-up) only?

Otto

On 4 March 2012 06:05, Louise Stewart <veggie236@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Got a new Mini and a friend who knows WAY more than I do about computers
> installed it for me, installed a switch so I can go from my old G4 (until I
> get all the new software I need for the Mini) to the Mini. He also moved
> all my emails and email addresses from Mail in the G4 to the Mini but
> couldn't figure how to move the groups I'd made in Mail. The G4 is
> apparently too old to use Migration Assistant and it doesn't have Time
> Machine, either, which is apparently another way to do that. Does anyone
> know how to do that?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2c.

Re: moving Mail to a new computer

Posted by: "Louise Stewart" veggie236@earthlink.net   pudgybulldog

Sun Mar 4, 2012 7:17 am (PST)



Yes, I have a router. I access the Internet with a Comcast modem -- cable.

On Mar 4, 2012, at 9:13 AM, Otto Nikolaus wrote:

> Louise,
>
> Do you not have a router? Do you access the internet using a modem (cable,
> DSL, or dial-up) only?
>
> Otto
>
> On 4 March 2012 06:05, Louise Stewart <veggie236@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Got a new Mini and a friend who knows WAY more than I do about computers
> > installed it for me, installed a switch so I can go from my old G4 (until I
> > get all the new software I need for the Mini) to the Mini. He also moved
> > all my emails and email addresses from Mail in the G4 to the Mini but
> > couldn't figure how to move the groups I'd made in Mail. The G4 is
> > apparently too old to use Migration Assistant and it doesn't have Time
> > Machine, either, which is apparently another way to do that. Does anyone
> > know how to do that?
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2d.

Re: moving Mail to a new computer

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sun Mar 4, 2012 8:35 am (PST)



Howdy.

Can we assume you mean an "Ethernet Switch" so that now the G4 and the
Mac mini are both networked?

I don't know what you mean by "groups" in Mail. Do you mean a
mailbox?

I ask because the term "group's is used in Address Book.

Moving Data.

1. Email

Use Mail's Export command and export each mailbox. An exported mailbox
puts all the messages in one file, names the file with the name of that
mailbox, and adds the extension "mbox" on the end of the file name.

Collect all of these in one folder on your G4. Then use your new
network (via the Ethernet switch) and move that folder of exported
mailboxes to your new Mac mini.

Then on the Mac mini launch Mail and use the Import command to import
each of those mailboxes.

Since I don't know what you mean by a "group" I can comment further.

2. Addresses

Your Apple Mail addressed/contacts are in the global Address Book
application. Address Book is used by several applications as the
source for addresses.

Do the same export and import in Address Book as suggested above for
mail messages.

On G4, launch Address Book.

Select the address, or a "group" of addresses to export. You could
select the "group" All Contacts.

Then use the Export command found under the File menu in Address Book.

Pick the Address Book Archive and a destination location for the
resulting exported file. This file will be named Address Book -
03-04-2012.abbu. I give an example of the file name for today's date.
The date is added to the file name automatically. The file extension
is abbu (address book archive).

Then move this archive file over your new network to your new Mac mini
and when on the Mini use the Import command in Address Book on the
Mini.

3. Web bookmarks

You can export your Safari bookmarks in the same way and then import
them in the Safari program on the Mac mini.

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 01:05:47 -0500, Louise Stewart wrote:
> Got a new Mini and a friend who knows WAY more than I do about
> computers installed it for me, installed a switch so I can go from my
> old G4 (until I get all the new software I need for the Mini) to the
> Mini. He also moved all my emails and email addresses from Mail in
> the G4 to the Mini but couldn't figure how to move the groups I'd
> made in Mail. The G4 is apparently too old to use Migration Assistant
> and it doesn't have Time Machine, either, which is apparently another
> way to do that. Does anyone know how to do that?
>
> Louise

2e.

Re: moving Mail to a new computer

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Sun Mar 4, 2012 9:50 am (PST)



Most (all?) home routers have a built-in ethernet switch. Does yours?

Does your G4 have wifi (Airport)? Does the mini? Have you been accessing
the internet using wifi?

Otto

On 4 March 2012 15:17, Louise Stewart <veggie236@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Yes, I have a router. I access the Internet with a Comcast modem -- cable.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2f.

Re: moving Mail to a new computer

Posted by: "Louise Stewart" veggie236@earthlink.net   pudgybulldog

Sun Mar 4, 2012 9:50 am (PST)



Yes, the groups I referred to ARE in Address Book and not Mail. Sorry. I misspoke. I don't really know if I mean an Ethernet switch or not since I don't understand these things. I do know that what I bought at Micro Center -- with my installer friend choosing it -- was a KVM switch. The brand name is Iogear. http://www.iogear.com/

To switch from one computer to another, I push a button on this device. The emails of individuals in Address Book were successfully moved to the Mini but not the Groups. I'll read over the info below and see if I understand, but will also forward it to my friend who helped me with this because he's going to have to come back to help some more.

L

On Mar 4, 2012, at 11:35 AM, Denver Dan wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> Can we assume you mean an "Ethernet Switch" so that now the G4 and the
> Mac mini are both networked?
>
> I don't know what you mean by "groups" in Mail. Do you mean a
> mailbox?
>
> I ask because the term "group's is used in Address Book.
>
> Moving Data.
>
> 1. Email
>
> Use Mail's Export command and export each mailbox. An exported mailbox
> puts all the messages in one file, names the file with the name of that
> mailbox, and adds the extension "mbox" on the end of the file name.
>
> Collect all of these in one folder on your G4. Then use your new
> network (via the Ethernet switch) and move that folder of exported
> mailboxes to your new Mac mini.
>
> Then on the Mac mini launch Mail and use the Import command to import
> each of those mailboxes.
>
> Since I don't know what you mean by a "group" I can comment further.
>
> 2. Addresses
>
> Your Apple Mail addressed/contacts are in the global Address Book
> application. Address Book is used by several applications as the
> source for addresses.
>
> Do the same export and import in Address Book as suggested above for
> mail messages.
>
> On G4, launch Address Book.
>
> Select the address, or a "group" of addresses to export. You could
> select the "group" All Contacts.
>
> Then use the Export command found under the File menu in Address Book.
>
> Pick the Address Book Archive and a destination location for the
> resulting exported file. This file will be named Address Book -
> 03-04-2012.abbu. I give an example of the file name for today's date.
> The date is added to the file name automatically. The file extension
> is abbu (address book archive).
>
> Then move this archive file over your new network to your new Mac mini
> and when on the Mini use the Import command in Address Book on the
> Mini.
>
> 3. Web bookmarks
>
> You can export your Safari bookmarks in the same way and then import
> them in the Safari program on the Mac mini.
>
> On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 01:05:47 -0500, Louise Stewart wrote:
> > Got a new Mini and a friend who knows WAY more than I do about
> > computers installed it for me, installed a switch so I can go from my
> > old G4 (until I get all the new software I need for the Mini) to the
> > Mini. He also moved all my emails and email addresses from Mail in
> > the G4 to the Mini but couldn't figure how to move the groups I'd
> > made in Mail. The G4 is apparently too old to use Migration Assistant
> > and it doesn't have Time Machine, either, which is apparently another
> > way to do that. Does anyone know how to do that?
> >
> > Louise
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2g.

Re: moving Mail to a new computer

Posted by: "Louise Stewart" veggie236@earthlink.net   pudgybulldog

Sun Mar 4, 2012 10:03 am (PST)



I don't know the answers to these questions, but will find out.

On Mar 4, 2012, at 12:50 PM, Otto Nikolaus wrote:

> Most (all?) home routers have a built-in ethernet switch. Does yours?
>
> Does your G4 have wifi (Airport)? Does the mini? Have you been accessing
> the internet using wifi?
>
> Otto
>
> On 4 March 2012 15:17, Louise Stewart <veggie236@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Yes, I have a router. I access the Internet with a Comcast modem -- cable.
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2h.

Re: moving Mail to a new computer

Posted by: "Denver dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sun Mar 4, 2012 10:13 am (PST)



A KVM switch is a device that lets you connect one monitor to two computers and then use the KVM switch to switch the screen display between the two computers.

Since we now know that the "switch" you refer to is a KVM switch and not an Ethernet switch, Otto has been trying to ask you if your router has Ethernet ports built into the router. Many routers do.

Ethernet is a standard way for multiple computers to connect to an Ethernet switch and thus to each other. When you do this it means that your new Mac mini can see and use the hard drive of your G4. The G4 HD will punt" on the Desktop of your Mini. This makes it easy to move files from one to the other.

There are many ways to move files between computers including:

1. WiFi â€" if both have a WiFi card (called Airport by Apple).

2. FireWire cable.

3. Burn a CD or DVD.

4. Use a thumb drive/flash drive.

5. External hard drive and move it from one computer to the other.

6. Ethernet. Probably the most sensible because the network you create will then continue to be available.

7. Bluetooth. You can even move files between two computers if both have Bluetooth wireless cards. I've done this but it's kind of rare.

!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i
iFrom Denver Dan's iPhone

â€" my magical animal is a butterfly

On Mar 4, 2012, at 12:50 PM, Louise Stewart <veggie236@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Yes, the groups I referred to ARE in Address Book and not Mail. Sorry. I misspoke. I don't really know if I mean an Ethernet switch or not since I don't understand these things. I do know that what I bought at Micro Center -- with my installer friend choosing it -- was a KVM switch. The brand name is Iogear. http://www.iogear.com/
>
> To switch from one computer to another, I push a button on this device. The emails of individuals in Address Book were successfully moved to the Mini but not the Groups. I'll read over the info below and see if I understand, but will also forward it to my friend who helped me with this because he's going to have to come back to help some more.
>
> L
>
> On Mar 4, 2012, at 11:35 AM, Denver Dan wrote:
>
>> Howdy.
>>
>> Can we assume you mean an "Ethernet Switch" so that now the G4 and the
>> Mac mini are both networked?
>>
>> I don't know what you mean by "groups" in Mail. Do you mean a
>> mailbox?
>>
>> I ask because the term "group's is used in Address Book.
>>
>> Moving Data.
>>
>> 1. Email
>>
>> Use Mail's Export command and export each mailbox. An exported mailbox
>> puts all the messages in one file, names the file with the name of that
>> mailbox, and adds the extension "mbox" on the end of the file name.
>>
>> Collect all of these in one folder on your G4. Then use your new
>> network (via the Ethernet switch) and move that folder of exported
>> mailboxes to your new Mac mini.
>>
>> Then on the Mac mini launch Mail and use the Import command to import
>> each of those mailboxes.
>>
>> Since I don't know what you mean by a "group" I can comment further.
>>
>> 2. Addresses
>>
>> Your Apple Mail addressed/contacts are in the global Address Book
>> application. Address Book is used by several applications as the
>> source for addresses.
>>
>> Do the same export and import in Address Book as suggested above for
>> mail messages.
>>
>> On G4, launch Address Book.
>>
>> Select the address, or a "group" of addresses to export. You could
>> select the "group" All Contacts.
>>
>> Then use the Export command found under the File menu in Address Book.
>>
>> Pick the Address Book Archive and a destination location for the
>> resulting exported file. This file will be named Address Book -
>> 03-04-2012.abbu. I give an example of the file name for today's date.
>> The date is added to the file name automatically. The file extension
>> is abbu (address book archive).
>>
>> Then move this archive file over your new network to your new Mac mini
>> and when on the Mini use the Import command in Address Book on the
>> Mini.
>>
>> 3. Web bookmarks
>>
>> You can export your Safari bookmarks in the same way and then import
>> them in the Safari program on the Mac mini.
>>
>> On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 01:05:47 -0500, Louise Stewart wrote:
>>> Got a new Mini and a friend who knows WAY more than I do about
>>> computers installed it for me, installed a switch so I can go from my
>>> old G4 (until I get all the new software I need for the Mini) to the
>>> Mini. He also moved all my emails and email addresses from Mail in
>>> the G4 to the Mini but couldn't figure how to move the groups I'd
>>> made in Mail. The G4 is apparently too old to use Migration Assistant
>>> and it doesn't have Time Machine, either, which is apparently another
>>> way to do that. Does anyone know how to do that?
>>>
>>> Louise
>>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

3.1.

Re: Google/Privacy Should we be worried?

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Sun Mar 4, 2012 6:21 am (PST)



On Mar 3, 2012, at 5:30 PM, Jon Kreisler wrote:
> Confusion might help. Every time you need to do a search using Google, do
> two other meaningless searches on different topics.

I used to use a plug-in that does just that. It ran a random background search every few seconds. The idea was that the fast majority of me searching was randomly generated be a tiny program. I had forgotten about that app, but it was for precisely this purpose...

There it is. "TrackMeNot" for Firefox. I've just reinstalled. My guess is that it was falling behind the version curve and I simply dropped it at some point.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3.2.

Re: Google/Privacy Should we be worried?

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Sun Mar 4, 2012 10:26 am (PST)



It's the service provider that matters, for every service you use. To use GMail, you previously agreed that Google can analyze your mail for purposes of providing you "customized services" which essentially means targeted ads. In addition, they can aggregate the information they pull from your mail with other peoples information to analyze, well, anything they want or anything others will buy. The only real limit is that they agree not to "personally" identify this information. Google knows who you are, but they agree not to give this information to others, except, of course, the government. GMail was the first to do this, and it was a bit controversial at the time. We now accept this. Most ISPs (like Verizon and Comcast) explicitly do not do this, yet.

This has always been true since the start of GMail. What has changed is that Google will now combine this information with data from every other service it runs. Your GMail info can be correlated with your searches, your mapping requests, your Google docs accounts, your Android info, etc... This was not true before. The services were, in theory, firewalled from each other.

In addition, the new "privacy" policy has been simplified dramatically. The most significant "simplification" is that it no longer excludes much behavior other than the distribution of "personal information." It does not say they WILL use such personal info (such as the content of your Google Docs) but it also clearly does not say that they will not. In other words, there are few limits on what Google can do "internally" with any data you entrust to their system.

http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/

It's not a very difficult read, but it is very difficult to forecast the implications.

What Google sells is access to you. Say that military recruiters would like to "target" young men, 16-21, who have searched military topics but not colleges, appear to have lots of free time, do not have jobs and are not engaged in job searches. Google can target ONLY these men (assuming they use Google products) and can guarantee that the recruiters "message" gets to these men at a narrowly defined moment, say when they run a search on vocational schools, or maybe while they are reading an email with the keywords "job" and "army" in them.

Now say recruiters would actually like to target these same young men with personal visits. Google won't give them addresses ( which Google has) BUT Google can see target only those young men within 20 miles of that office. Or maybe they carefully send the message to your mobile device as you happen to be in the bar next door. Yes, they can do that. In fact, they do this now. Doesn't that make life more convenient?

The only way you can prevent this is to not use ANY Google service, including (I think) an Android phone. That's already very tough to do. As strongly as I feel, I simply can't do that, and I still have not converted all the services that I can, and I'm pretty good at this.

And just to stay OT and relevant, if Google pulls this off, you can bloody well expect that Apple will implement a similar policy, so don't think your iPhone is immune. You know that helpful advisor Siri? Guess why Siri is so important to Apple. Bingo!

Cheers,
tod

4a.

Re: iPhoto library question

Posted by: "Andrew Buc" andrewbuc@staxman.net   andrewbuc

Sun Mar 4, 2012 6:49 am (PST)



On Mar 4, 2012, at 5:37 AM, Otto Nikolaus wrote:

> Wouldn't it have been cheaper to have printed it yourself? Or do
> you not
> have a printer?

Long story short, because of the way the PDF is formatted, printing
wouldn't have been a simple task.

4b.

Re: iPhoto library question

Posted by: "HAL9000" jrswebhome@yahoo.com   jrswebhome

Sun Mar 4, 2012 7:23 pm (PST)





Caution using iPhoto.

iPhoto is not a drag and drop application. It is a database application. THINK database. After you plug the camera into your computer and download the photos you have taken with your camera, DO NOT open them in Photoshop from iPhoto, despite the preference setting to do just that in iPhoto.

The only way to edit images stored in iPhoto, is to EXPORT image A to your desktop. Then open image A in Photoshop, edit, save and close. Open iPhoto, then IMPORT Image A back into iPhoto. This will create a new event in iPhoto. Open the EVENTS window in iPhoto and drag the new event on top of the older Image A event.

Remember, this is a database program. It is organized through Import and Export only.

I have tried to do anything but the above and iPhoto will not recognize any image manipulated in Photoshop directly from iPhoto.

I like iPhoto, I use it. But only the way it wants me to. jr

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Buc <andrewbuc@...> wrote:
>
> I just got a new 14-megapixel digicam, replacing a 3-MP digicam. I
> really chose this camera for features other than its resolution. It's
> nice to have all this resolution in reserve, but for most of my
> photos it's overkill.
>
> My first few shots with the new camera are coming in at ~4.5MB per.
> My concern is that this will eat up a lot of hard drive space, and my
> weekly SuperDuper clones to an external drive (via FW400 interface)
> will take longer.
>
> So, is there an easy way in iPhoto to selectively reduce the
> resolution of individual photos? If I drill down to the files in
> Finder and reduce the resolution with a 3rd-party image editor, will
> that confuse iPhoto? Thanks.
>

4c.

Re: iPhoto library question

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Mon Mar 5, 2012 3:22 am (PST)



Not true. Assuming that iPhoto's built-in edit functions are too limited,
there's an option within iPhoto to edit using an external app (such as
Photoshop). This means that the *files* are still controlled by iPhoto and
database integrity is maintained. IMO your method just adds extra steps to
no purpose.

(There must be something wrong with your setup if the above does *not*
work.)

Otto

On 5 March 2012 03:23, HAL9000 <jrswebhome@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
> Caution using iPhoto.
>
> iPhoto is not a drag and drop application. It is a database application.
> THINK database. After you plug the camera into your computer and download
> the photos you have taken with your camera, DO NOT open them in Photoshop
> from iPhoto, despite the preference setting to do just that in iPhoto.
>
> The only way to edit images stored in iPhoto, is to EXPORT image A to your
> desktop. Then open image A in Photoshop, edit, save and close. Open iPhoto,
> then IMPORT Image A back into iPhoto. This will create a new event in
> iPhoto. Open the EVENTS window in iPhoto and drag the new event on top of
> the older Image A event.
>
> Remember, this is a database program. It is organized through Import and
> Export only.
>
> I have tried to do anything but the above and iPhoto will not recognize
> any image manipulated in Photoshop directly from iPhoto.
>
> I like iPhoto, I use it. But only the way it wants me to. jr
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web