3/07/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8777

Messages In This Digest (19 Messages)

1a.
Re: Intel Xeon E5 Processors - New MacPro Soon? From: Tod Hopkins
1b.
Re: Intel Xeon E5 Processors - New MacPro Soon? From: Harry Flaxman
1c.
Re: Intel Xeon E5 Processors - New MacPro Soon? From: Denver Dan
2.1.
Re: iPhoto library question From: Terry Pogue
2.2.
Re: iPhoto library question From: Terry Pogue
2.3.
Re: iPhoto library question From: HAL9000
2.4.
Re: iPhoto library question From: Terry Pogue
3.
Parallels 7 update available From: Robert
4a.
Re: Lytro Light Field Camera News From: Denver Dan
4b.
Re: Lytro Light Field Camera News From: Jim Saklad
5a.
Re: With Chrome it is jpeg, With Safari it is jpg From: Jim Saklad
6a.
Police Motorcycle parade 1935 From: Denton Larson
6b.
Re: Police Motorcycle parade 1935 From: N.A. Nada
6c.
Re: Police Motorcycle parade 1935 From: paul smith
7.
iPad - iPhone - Taxi Fare Payment System From: Denver Dan
8a.
display problem From: Louise Stewart
8b.
Re: display problem From: Barry Austern
9.
Bluray Burner for a MacPro From: Douglas Neale
10a.
KVM switch From: Louise Stewart

Messages

1a.

Re: Intel Xeon E5 Processors - New MacPro Soon?

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Tue Mar 6, 2012 6:14 am (PST)



For a professional in a complex facility, the big problem with the iMac is the total lack of flexibility in setup, particularly the monitor.

As good as the iMac monitor is, it is not necessarily the monitor any given facility needs for any number of reasons. I can't upgrade either component without repurchasing both. Failure of one component takes the entire unit out of service. Difficult for the user to repair even the simplest failure. Mounting the iMac on the wall or on a moveable mount is awkward at best (cables!) And I can't move the CPU away from the operator which is SOP for noise, heat, and clutter.

One piece computers make sense for consumers but not for pro systems. If the Mac Pro disappears now, it would be the Mini that would need to replace it. Interestingly, the Mini is doing this for servers. Add a USB/Ethernet adapter and and external FW array and you've got a nice, compact small workgroup server.

I see no incentive to do this. Pros don't care that the Mac Pro doesn't fit Apples design philosophy. It is wildly popular because it is simply the best PC available. It is profitable and will require no significant R&D ever again. It is entirely compatible with pretty much every current computing standard. It is not displacing any other Apple product.

Cheers,
tod

On Mar 6, 2012, at 1:00 AM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2012, at 4:48 PM, Jim Saklad wrote:
>
> > If I had not found a used Intel Mac Pro to replace the G5 tower (as a supplement to my laptop), I would likely have gotten a new Intel Mini.
> >
> > This Intel Mac Pro has a lot of life left in it, however....
>
> Exactly Jim. I had to decide over a tower and an iMac at the time. I chose the iMac. I do enough video processing that I probably would have been happy with a Mac Pro, however, the iMac satisfies my needs.
>
> Harry
>
> Harold Flaxman
> harry.flaxman@me.com
>
>

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1b.

Re: Intel Xeon E5 Processors - New MacPro Soon?

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Tue Mar 6, 2012 6:53 am (PST)



On Mar 6, 2012, at 9:13 AM, Tod Hopkins wrote:

> For a professional in a complex facility, the big problem with the iMac is the total lack of flexibility in setup, particularly the monitor.
>
> As good as the iMac monitor is, it is not necessarily the monitor any given facility needs for any number of reasons. I can't upgrade either component without repurchasing both. Failure of one component takes the entire unit out of service. Difficult for the user to repair even the simplest failure. Mounting the iMac on the wall or on a moveable mount is awkward at best (cables!) And I can't move the CPU away from the operator which is SOP for noise, heat, and clutter.
>
> One piece computers make sense for consumers but not for pro systems. If the Mac Pro disappears now, it would be the Mini that would need to replace it. Interestingly, the Mini is doing this for servers. Add a USB/Ethernet adapter and and external FW array and you've got a nice, compact small workgroup server.
>
> I see no incentive to do this. Pros don't care that the Mac Pro doesn't fit Apples design philosophy. It is wildly popular because it is simply the best PC available. It is profitable and will require no significant R&D ever again. It is entirely compatible with pretty much every current computing standard. It is not displacing any other Apple product.

I do have an Apple Cinema Display hooked up to my iMac, and I find it quite adequate as a secondary display. I do look forward to my new machine, as Thunderbolt can have more than one external display.

Harold Flaxman
harry.flaxman@me.com

1c.

Re: Intel Xeon E5 Processors - New MacPro Soon?

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Tue Mar 6, 2012 10:03 am (PST)



Howdy.

You have some interesting observations on the MacPro tower. Thanks for
posting this.

There have been a number of rumor and opinion (but no facts) articles
on the MacPro concept and how it could change, could be discontinued,
how the form factor could be reduced in size, and more.

I think what Tod ways here makes a lot of sense except for one worry
that I have about the ongoing idea of a tower computer and that is the
impact that Thunderbolt could/might/will have on the need for internal
drives and expansion card slots.

I have a 1st gen MacPro and have the drive bays maxed out, delightfully
so, and have added a couple of expansion cards over the years. The
biggest disappointment was the early death of a 2nd video card, an
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT card. It did make gaming situations faster and
ran SecondLife faster but died an early death while sometimes being
noisy. Now working on the original video card with zero problems.

Denver Dan

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 09:13:59 -0500, Tod Hopkins wrote:
> For a professional in a complex facility, the big problem with the
> iMac is the total lack of flexibility in setup, particularly the
> monitor.
>
> As good as the iMac monitor is, it is not necessarily the monitor any
> given facility needs for any number of reasons. I can't upgrade
> either component without repurchasing both. Failure of one component
> takes the entire unit out of service. Difficult for the user to
> repair even the simplest failure. Mounting the iMac on the wall or
> on a moveable mount is awkward at best (cables!) And I can't move
> the CPU away from the operator which is SOP for noise, heat, and
> clutter.
>
> One piece computers make sense for consumers but not for pro
> systems. If the Mac Pro disappears now, it would be the Mini that
> would need to replace it. Interestingly, the Mini is doing this for
> servers. Add a USB/Ethernet adapter and and external FW array and
> you've got a nice, compact small workgroup server.
>
> I see no incentive to do this. Pros don't care that the Mac Pro
> doesn't fit Apples design philosophy. It is wildly popular because
> it is simply the best PC available. It is profitable and will
> require no significant R&D ever again. It is entirely compatible
> with pretty much every current computing standard. It is not
> displacing any other Apple product.
>
> Cheers,
> tod

2.1.

Re: iPhoto library question

Posted by: "Terry Pogue" tpogue@comcast.net   terrypogue_2000

Tue Mar 6, 2012 8:44 am (PST)



I usually just export or drag the pic to my desktop and work on it there in photoshop

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:24 PM, "HAL9000" <jrswebhome@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If you edit in Photoshop from inside iPhoto and want to store a new edited version in iPhoto, you must begin by DUPLICATING the original iPhoto image in iPhoto, then open the duplicate image in Photoshop to edit.
>
> It's really wacky, but it's the database app you & I chose to store our images on our computer. I like iPhoto so I don't mind the database logic used.
>
> Using iPhoto/Photoshop I have to forget SAVE AS, but ONLY when using iPhoto. jr
>
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "i_am_willie" <wilhitel@...> wrote:
>>
>> I am using the latest versions of PS Elements (v10.0) and iPhoto 11 (v9.2.1). I can jump from iPhoto to edit it PS. How do I save the edited photo back into iPhoto as a revised photo with the original?
>>
>> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, bob morin <rbmorin11@> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 4:45 PM, Terry Pogue wrote:
>>>
>>>> When I was making a photo book I used PS to correct the photos and iPhoto would not see them in any format. I called Apple help and was told that iPhoto no longer allowed iPhoto to use any nonapple software. I would have to make any corrections in iPhoto or that other apple program that is used to organize photographs.
>>>> Thar was a bummer and I had to redo everything.
>>>
>>> As I mentioned i am using the latest OS system, iPhoto and PSE (9) and I can readily edit photos in PSE and save them back in iPhoto. Done many photos that way.
>>>
>>> bob
>>>
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

2.2.

Re: iPhoto library question

Posted by: "Terry Pogue" tpogue@comcast.net   terrypogue_2000

Tue Mar 6, 2012 8:52 am (PST)



Forgot to say that just duplicates the image the original remains in iphoto

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 6, 2012, at 11:43 AM, Terry Pogue <tpogue@comcast.net> wrote:

> I usually just export or drag the pic to my desktop and work on it there in photoshop
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:24 PM, "HAL9000" <jrswebhome@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> If you edit in Photoshop from inside iPhoto and want to store a new edited version in iPhoto, you must begin by DUPLICATING the original iPhoto image in iPhoto, then open the duplicate image in Photoshop to edit.
>>
>> It's really wacky, but it's the database app you & I chose to store our images on our computer. I like iPhoto so I don't mind the database logic used.
>>
>> Using iPhoto/Photoshop I have to forget SAVE AS, but ONLY when using iPhoto. jr
>>
>>
>> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "i_am_willie" <wilhitel@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am using the latest versions of PS Elements (v10.0) and iPhoto 11 (v9.2.1). I can jump from iPhoto to edit it PS. How do I save the edited photo back into iPhoto as a revised photo with the original?
>>>
>>> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, bob morin <rbmorin11@> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 4:45 PM, Terry Pogue wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> When I was making a photo book I used PS to correct the photos and iPhoto would not see them in any format. I called Apple help and was told that iPhoto no longer allowed iPhoto to use any nonapple software. I would have to make any corrections in iPhoto or that other apple program that is used to organize photographs.
>>>>> Thar was a bummer and I had to redo everything.
>>>>
>>>> As I mentioned i am using the latest OS system, iPhoto and PSE (9) and I can readily edit photos in PSE and save them back in iPhoto. Done many photos that way.
>>>>
>>>> bob
>>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Group FAQ:
>> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>>
>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

2.3.

Re: iPhoto library question

Posted by: "HAL9000" jrswebhome@yahoo.com   jrswebhome

Tue Mar 6, 2012 9:58 am (PST)



But if you want iPhoto to see this new version you drug off to desktop, you have to Import it as a new event into iPhoto, then drag the event on top of whatever event you want it organized.

Guess I've beat this dead horse enough. Thanks for everyone's patience.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Terry Pogue <tpogue@...> wrote:
>
> Forgot to say that just duplicates the image the original remains in iphoto
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 6, 2012, at 11:43 AM, Terry Pogue <tpogue@...> wrote:
>
> > I usually just export or drag the pic to my desktop and work on it there in photoshop
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:24 PM, "HAL9000" <jrswebhome@...> wrote:
> >
> >> If you edit in Photoshop from inside iPhoto and want to store a new edited version in iPhoto, you must begin by DUPLICATING the original iPhoto image in iPhoto, then open the duplicate image in Photoshop to edit.
> >>
> >> It's really wacky, but it's the database app you & I chose to store our images on our computer. I like iPhoto so I don't mind the database logic used.
> >>
> >> Using iPhoto/Photoshop I have to forget SAVE AS, but ONLY when using iPhoto. jr
> >>
> >>
> >> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "i_am_willie" <wilhitel@> wrote:
> >>>
> >>> I am using the latest versions of PS Elements (v10.0) and iPhoto 11 (v9.2.1). I can jump from iPhoto to edit it PS. How do I save the edited photo back into iPhoto as a revised photo with the original?
> >>>
> >>> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, bob morin <rbmorin11@> wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 4:45 PM, Terry Pogue wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>> When I was making a photo book I used PS to correct the photos and iPhoto would not see them in any format. I called Apple help and was told that iPhoto no longer allowed iPhoto to use any nonapple software. I would have to make any corrections in iPhoto or that other apple program that is used to organize photographs.
> >>>>> Thar was a bummer and I had to redo everything.
> >>>>
> >>>> As I mentioned i am using the latest OS system, iPhoto and PSE (9) and I can readily edit photos in PSE and save them back in iPhoto. Done many photos that way.
> >>>>
> >>>> bob
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> ------------------------------------
> >>
> >> Group FAQ:
> >> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> >>
> >> Yahoo! Groups Links
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Group FAQ:
> > <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>

2.4.

Re: iPhoto library question

Posted by: "Terry Pogue" tpogue@comcast.net   terrypogue_2000

Tue Mar 6, 2012 12:44 pm (PST)



Yes, that is usually the way I do it.

On Mar 6, 2012, at 12:57 PM, HAL9000 wrote:

> But if you want iPhoto to see this new version you drug off to desktop, you have to Import it as a new event into iPhoto, then drag the event on top of whatever event you want it organized.
>
> Guess I've beat this dead horse enough. Thanks for everyone's patience.
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Terry Pogue <tpogue@...> wrote:
>>
>> Forgot to say that just duplicates the image the original remains in iphoto
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Mar 6, 2012, at 11:43 AM, Terry Pogue <tpogue@...> wrote:
>>
>>> I usually just export or drag the pic to my desktop and work on it there in photoshop
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:24 PM, "HAL9000" <jrswebhome@...> wrote:
>>>
>>>> If you edit in Photoshop from inside iPhoto and want to store a new edited version in iPhoto, you must begin by DUPLICATING the original iPhoto image in iPhoto, then open the duplicate image in Photoshop to edit.
>>>>
>>>> It's really wacky, but it's the database app you & I chose to store our images on our computer. I like iPhoto so I don't mind the database logic used.
>>>>
>>>> Using iPhoto/Photoshop I have to forget SAVE AS, but ONLY when using iPhoto. jr
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "i_am_willie" <wilhitel@> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> I am using the latest versions of PS Elements (v10.0) and iPhoto 11 (v9.2.1). I can jump from iPhoto to edit it PS. How do I save the edited photo back into iPhoto as a revised photo with the original?
>>>>>
>>>>> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, bob morin <rbmorin11@> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Mar 5, 2012, at 4:45 PM, Terry Pogue wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> When I was making a photo book I used PS to correct the photos and iPhoto would not see them in any format. I called Apple help and was told that iPhoto no longer allowed iPhoto to use any nonapple software. I would have to make any corrections in iPhoto or that other apple program that is used to organize photographs.
>>>>>>> Thar was a bummer and I had to redo everything.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> As I mentioned i am using the latest OS system, iPhoto and PSE (9) and I can readily edit photos in PSE and save them back in iPhoto. Done many photos that way.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> bob
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ------------------------------------
>>>>
>>>> Group FAQ:
>>>> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>>>>
>>>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Group FAQ:
>>> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>>>
>>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

3.

Parallels 7 update available

Posted by: "Robert" cookrd1@discoveryowners.com   cookrd1

Tue Mar 6, 2012 9:02 am (PST)



FYI, better support for Win8 and Win7, and support for ML. Downloading it now.

Bob

4a.

Re: Lytro Light Field Camera News

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Tue Mar 6, 2012 10:03 am (PST)



Howdy.

The Lytro camera's new technology in not an auto focus thing. It's
quite a revolutionary concept.

In other words, after the picture has been taken, you can manipulate it
in a variety of ways including focusing (not sharpening) and changing
the angle of view, mentioned by Harry.

Lots to learn. I bet the various world spy agencies are salivating,
too!

Denver Dan

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 06:20:57 +0000, HAL9000 wrote:
> My iPhone/Canon camera shoots auto focus most of the time.
> Can't see families playing w focus in Facebook, etc.
> The new tech is fascinating though. Hope it can be
> applied in exciting new ways to come. jr
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@...> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy.
>>
>> The Lytro Light Field Camera began selling and shipping on March 1st.
>>
>> This is the new tech camera that captures a digital image but also has
>> the ability to capture the direction of light beams.
>>
>> This new ability to capture light beam directional data means you can
>> focus pictures AFTER they are taken.
>>
>> Hard to imagine.
>>
>> The interesting thing is that the camera's interface software for
>> computers, for moving images to a computer, is Macintosh only at this
>> time. The company says they are working on a Windows version for
>> release later.

4b.

Re: Lytro Light Field Camera News

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Tue Mar 6, 2012 10:31 am (PST)



> My iPhone/Canon camera shoots auto focus most of the time.

And I presume it is NOT important to you to be able to correct an image, after the fact, that you discover to be out of focus?

For example, the granddaughter's face, where the focal plane appears to be on the checked blanket behind her head, and not on her eyes?

> Can't see families playing w focus in Facebook, etc.

How about fixing the focus on your computer, then saving the image as a standard JPEG, *BEFORE* posting it to Facebook?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Re: With Chrome it is jpeg, With Safari it is jpg

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Tue Mar 6, 2012 10:26 am (PST)



> Hi! Am running X.6.8 on 27"iMac and am using Google Chrome.
> When Safari is my browser I can snag "jpg" files from web sites (where it is legal to do so) and the files remain "jpg".
>
> With Google Chrome files come up as jpeg instead of jpg. It's no big deal except I update a few blogs, and the files must to be jpg, not jpeg. It's a minor inconvenience to change the file name. I prefer Chrome at this time.
>
> Is there a pref which may be changed? Perhaps I've looked so hard to find it, that I am overlooking it?

1. I am pretty sure either is a "legal" and official sanctioned suffix for this type of image.

2. I think the .jpg came into vogue in the era when Windows insisted on 3-letter suffixes.

3. MacOS itself doesn't care.

The defect is in the blog software.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

6a.

Police Motorcycle parade 1935

Posted by: "Denton Larson" wb0zur@gmail.com   wb0zur

Tue Mar 6, 2012 11:04 am (PST)



Garry sent me this, this is neat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTYGmjgSMv8

6b.

Re: Police Motorcycle parade 1935

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Tue Mar 6, 2012 2:08 pm (PST)



Would anyone else guess that Denton still has a Windows box and it got infected? Because I don't see how this in anyway applies to Mac or Apple support.

On Mar 6, 2012, at 11:04 AM, Denton Larson wrote:

> Garry sent me this, this is neat!
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTYGmjgSMv8

6c.

Re: Police Motorcycle parade 1935

Posted by: "paul smith" kullervo@nycap.rr.com   waldonny

Tue Mar 6, 2012 3:22 pm (PST)



All we can guess is that *somebody* got hacked. Spam emails typically spoof the "from" information. The infected computer could belong to anyone in the apparent sender's contact list.
--
PSmith
MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.7.3 iPhone 4S 64 GB, iOS 5.0.1

On Mar 6, 2012, at 5:08 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:

Would anyone else guess that Denton still has a Windows box and it got infected? Because I don't see how this in anyway applies to Mac or Apple support.

7.

iPad - iPhone - Taxi Fare Payment System

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Tue Mar 6, 2012 3:53 pm (PST)



Howdy.

Interesting article in Electronista (and other sources) on a new and
faster credit card payment system for the New York City taxi cab
fleet.

The new system involves an iPhone with a custom app named Checker that
is used by the taxi driver and an iPad in the back seat with a credit
card swipe device attached for passengers to use for payment. The iPad
will also provide maps for passengers.

Apparently taxis in other cities have a similar system including at
least some in San Francisco.

<http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/03/06/square.explains.nyc.taxi.payment.method/>

I'm curious to know if members of our group living in places like the
UK, Canada, France, and other countries have seen taxi payment system
based on the iPad.

Denver Dan

8a.

display problem

Posted by: "Louise Stewart" veggie236@earthlink.net   pudgybulldog

Tue Mar 6, 2012 6:29 pm (PST)



So, I got a Mac Mini and a friend installed in on Saturday. He
installed an Iogear 2-port USB KVM Switch so I can switch back and
forth between my old G4 and the Mini. I have to buy lots of new
software for the Mini so for now I can still use my QuarkXpress,
Adobe products, etc., on the G4 but the Mini is being used for Mail
and the Internet.

It's worked just fine until today. About an hour ago I went to use
the computers and check email for the first time since last night. My
screen wouldn't come on, even tho the light was blinking to indicate
it was on. I switched back and forth between computers a few times
but still nothing. I checked connections to make sure they were
secure, etc. I left things alone a short while and then tried the
switch again and hooray, it came on for the G4, but not the Mini.
Seems odd to me, but I have NOOOO understanding of these things. When
I switch to the Mini, the screen blinks with "No input signal" in a
small white box with a very thick red border. I've often seen this
notice in the past (way before the Mini) but it just blinks a couple
of seconds but then the screen comes alive. Someone told me long ago
that I should just ignore this message so I always have.

So, anyone know why I can't get the display to open with the Mini?

Louise

8b.

Re: display problem

Posted by: "Barry Austern" barryaus@fuse.net   barryaus

Tue Mar 6, 2012 6:59 pm (PST)



At 9:29 PM -0500 3/6/12, Louise Stewart wrote:

>
>
>So, I got a Mac Mini and a friend installed in on Saturday. He
>installed an Iogear 2-port USB KVM Switch so I can switch back and
>forth between my old G4 and the Mini. I have to buy lots of new
>software for the Mini so for now I can still use my QuarkXpress,
>Adobe products, etc., on the G4 but the Mini is being used for Mail
>and the Internet.

<snip>

>
>It's worked just fine until today.
>So, anyone know why I can't get the display to open with the Mini?

First thing I'd do would be to remove the KVM switch and connect the
Mini directly to see if it is the switch or the computer itself.
Assuming both the Mini and the switch are new and, hence, under
warranty, it would be only a hassle in either case.
--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

9.

Bluray Burner for a MacPro

Posted by: "Douglas Neale" doug@dougneale.co.uk   djneale

Wed Mar 7, 2012 3:04 am (PST)



My old MacPro (v3.1) has a single PATA DVD drive and I wanted to add
Bluray burning capability, so I bought an LG BH10LS30 drive.

Initially I fitted it internally with a SATA/PATA adaptor, but this just
didn't work. so I put it in an external case that supported USB,
Firewire and eSata.

I found that Windows running in Bootcamp partitions couldn't see a
Firewire connection and the USB connection was unreliable, so I thought
that putting an eSata expansion card in the spare PCI Express slots
would be a good idea.

Having failed once before to find an expansion card that fitted in this
version of a MacPro, I phoned Startech on their free 0800 sales info
line. The sales lady could not help but transferred me to their Tech
Support guy in Canada, where despite it being 6am local time, told me
that the PEXE SATA2 would fit my machine.

I duly purchased the card and a couple of eSata cables from a local
supplier.

It fitted perfectly and both the Mac and PC can see it correctly.

I burnt my first Bluray today from Avid Studio running under Win7 and it
plays perfectly.

I thought this info would be of use to others on this list.

Regards,

Doug Neale

10a.

KVM switch

Posted by: "Louise Stewart" veggie236@earthlink.net   pudgybulldog

Wed Mar 7, 2012 4:55 am (PST)



Last night I posted that my new Mac Mini and my G4 are sharing a
monitor, keyboard and mouse until I get all the new software I need
for the Mini. The Mini and the KVM were both installed on Saturday
and the switch had worked just fine until yesterday. Now I can only
see the monitor with the G4. When I switch to the Mini, the screen
goes black. I just tried it again to see if maybe it wanted to work
and saw that the "on" light on the monitor blinks constantly when
it's switched to the Mini side -- just in case that would help
someone figure this out since I have NOOOO clue about these things.

I've turned the Mini off and unplugged it twice and it seems to be
running. When I plug turn it back on, I hear a noise like it's
starting up. Its tiny little green light on the front is on, but
slowly fades from bright green to nothing and then back again.

Louise

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Sell Online

Start selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web