3/11/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8782

Messages In This Digest (10 Messages)

1a.
Re: i-Mac DVD Burner From: paul smith
2a.
Re: HD Corrupt From: Tamara De Leon
2b.
Re: HD Corrupt From: Tamara
2c.
Re: HD Corrupt From: Jim Saklad
2d.
Re: HD Corrupt From: Tamara
3a.
Old iPhone apps in iTunes From: Daly Jessup
3b.
Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes From: N.A. Nada
4.
MailHub for Lion From: imran khan
5a.
Re: Transferring iTunes and 1 other app from iMac to MacBook Pro From: pat412255
6.
AppleCare Support Center From: bobbystar

Messages

1a.

Re: i-Mac DVD Burner

Posted by: "paul smith" kullervo@nycap.rr.com   waldonny

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:30 pm (PST)



Most likely your DVD laser lens is dirty. It is strong enough to read DVDs, but not strong enough to burn to them. A "lens cleaner" DVD should fix the problem. They cost around $5 - $10.
--
PSmith
MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.7.3 iPhone 4S 64 GB, iOS 5.1

On Mar 10, 2012, at 9:41 PM, nidnob wrote:

The DVD Burner on my i-Mac ( 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ) will no longer
accept blank DVDs ( -R or +R ) - it just ejects them after a spell of what
sounds like seeking. It will however play prerecorded DVDs both commercial
and self recorded. Any ideas what is wrong?

2a.

Re: HD Corrupt

Posted by: "Tamara De Leon" tamaradeleon@gmail.com   tdbaeza

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:32 pm (PST)



Thank-U a lot Tod, I was just doing the cloning thing to reset. But know I
got a couple more questions, the install disk is the one that came when I
first bought the computer right? or can I do it with the Snow Leopard
Install disk

Could this had prevented If I had run Disk Utility earlier??, this is the
first time I have done this in five years with the computer

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 7:27 PM, Tod Hopkins <hoplist@hillmanncarr.com>wrote:

> Some things to try before you do a complete backup and reformat...
>
> First, reboot your system in "Safe Mode". You do this by holding down the
> shift key after you hear the boot chime until you see the mac icon. When
> you reach the Login screen (which may take several minutes) it should say
> "Safe Boot" a the top of the login box. If it doesn't, try again. You
> probably did not hold the Shift key early enough or long enough.
>
> If you have reached Safe Mode, then complete the login and run Disk
> Utility. Run "Verify" on your hard drive (not Repair). Is it fixed? If
> so reboot and you're good to go. Actually, first look down at the bottom
> and check the "SMART" status. Make sure this does not indicate any
> problems. If SMART status indicates anything other than good, let us know.
> You probably need to replace the drive.
>
> If Verify still reports a bad disk, reboot from your Install disk. When
> you reach the Install screens, go to the menu bar and find Disk Utility.
> Run Disk Utility from the menu and try to "Repair" again. Make sure you
> are clicking "Repair" on the lower right, not "Repair Permissions" on the
> left. If the Repair fails, it should tell you in the report. The text
> will be red. If it reports success the text will be green. If it is
> successful but running Verify again says there is a problem, you have a
> bigger problem.
>
> If Disk Utility can not repair the disk booted from the Install disk, you
> need Disk Warrior, which cost $100. It is a great utility and can save a
> drive that Disk Utility cannot, but if $100 is too steep, the alternative
> is to follow Paul advice to backup, reformat, and restore.
>
> Cheers,
> tod
>
> On Mar 10, 2012, at 4:56 PM, paul smith wrote:
>
> > You can't erase the drive that you are booted up from.
> > Do you have an external hard drive? I'm guessing you do, since that
> would be where you were trying to create the Time Machine back-up. What you
> need to do now is create a bootable copy of Snow Leopard on the external
> hard drive, boot up from the external drive, and then erase the hard drive
> in your MacBook.
> > There are a couple of different ways to approach this task. If I were in
> your situation, I would get a cloning application (Carbon Copy Cloner and
> SuperDuper are the most popular ones), which would duplicate everything on
> your current hard drive. You could then recopy the cloned drive back to the
> MacBook's erased (and hopefully repaired) hard drive.
> > --
> > PSmith
> > MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.7.3 iPhone
> 4S 64 GB, iOS 5.1
> >
> > On Mar 10, 2012, at 4:23 PM, Tamara De Leon wrote:
> >
> > I have a Macbook, Mac OS X version 10.6.8 with Snow Leopard. I'm trying
> to
> > do a back-up with Time Machine (fisrt time using Time Machine), and the
> > back-up couldn't be completed. I wanted to use Onyx so I can declutter
> the
> > computer
> > I verify the disk with Disk Utility and got the following message:
> >
> > "The volume HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired"
> >
> > I hit the Repair Disc buttom, it run fine, but then when I verify the
> disk
> > again I got the same message again. I did a manual back-up in case I had
> to
> > erase it, the thing is it won't let me erase it.
> >
> > I have no idea what should I do, I'm really starting to worry....HELP!
> >
> >
>
> Tod Hopkins
> Hillmann & Carr Inc.
> todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2b.

Re: HD Corrupt

Posted by: "Tamara" tamaradeleon@gmail.com   tdbaeza

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:58 pm (PST)



Tod,

I can't find Disk Utility in Safe Mode

Please advise!

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 10, 2012, at 7:27 PM, Tod Hopkins <hoplist@hillmanncarr.com> wrote:

> Some things to try before you do a complete backup and reformat...
>
> First, reboot your system in "Safe Mode". You do this by holding down the shift key after you hear the boot chime until you see the mac icon. When you reach the Login screen (which may take several minutes) it should say "Safe Boot" a the top of the login box. If it doesn't, try again. You probably did not hold the Shift key early enough or long enough.
>
> If you have reached Safe Mode, then complete the login and run Disk Utility. Run "Verify" on your hard drive (not Repair). Is it fixed? If so reboot and you're good to go. Actually, first look down at the bottom and check the "SMART" status. Make sure this does not indicate any problems. If SMART status indicates anything other than good, let us know. You probably need to replace the drive.
>
> If Verify still reports a bad disk, reboot from your Install disk. When you reach the Install screens, go to the menu bar and find Disk Utility. Run Disk Utility from the menu and try to "Repair" again. Make sure you are clicking "Repair" on the lower right, not "Repair Permissions" on the left. If the Repair fails, it should tell you in the report. The text will be red. If it reports success the text will be green. If it is successful but running Verify again says there is a problem, you have a bigger problem.
>
> If Disk Utility can not repair the disk booted from the Install disk, you need Disk Warrior, which cost $100. It is a great utility and can save a drive that Disk Utility cannot, but if $100 is too steep, the alternative is to follow Paul advice to backup, reformat, and restore.
>
> Cheers,
> tod
>
> On Mar 10, 2012, at 4:56 PM, paul smith wrote:
>
>> You can't erase the drive that you are booted up from.
>> Do you have an external hard drive? I'm guessing you do, since that would be where you were trying to create the Time Machine back-up. What you need to do now is create a bootable copy of Snow Leopard on the external hard drive, boot up from the external drive, and then erase the hard drive in your MacBook.
>> There are a couple of different ways to approach this task. If I were in your situation, I would get a cloning application (Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper are the most popular ones), which would duplicate everything on your current hard drive. You could then recopy the cloned drive back to the MacBook's erased (and hopefully repaired) hard drive.
>> --
>> PSmith
>> MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.7.3 iPhone 4S 64 GB, iOS 5.1
>>
>> On Mar 10, 2012, at 4:23 PM, Tamara De Leon wrote:
>>
>> I have a Macbook, Mac OS X version 10.6.8 with Snow Leopard. I'm trying to
>> do a back-up with Time Machine (fisrt time using Time Machine), and the
>> back-up couldn't be completed. I wanted to use Onyx so I can declutter the
>> computer
>> I verify the disk with Disk Utility and got the following message:
>>
>> "The volume HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired"
>>
>> I hit the Repair Disc buttom, it run fine, but then when I verify the disk
>> again I got the same message again. I did a manual back-up in case I had to
>> erase it, the thing is it won't let me erase it.
>>
>> I have no idea what should I do, I'm really starting to worry....HELP!
>>
>>
>
> Tod Hopkins
> Hillmann & Carr Inc.
> todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

2c.

Re: HD Corrupt

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:02 pm (PST)



> I can't find Disk Utility in Safe Mode

Macintosh HD -- Applications -- Utilities -- Disk Utility

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

2d.

Re: HD Corrupt

Posted by: "Tamara" tamaradeleon@gmail.com   tdbaeza

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:06 pm (PST)



Thanks, Jim. I know where to find it, I meant on Safe Mode, I boot my computer on Safe Mode, following Tod's advice but once on Safe mode I can't find Disk Utility

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 11, 2012, at 12:02 AM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@me.com> wrote:

> > I can't find Disk Utility in Safe Mode
>
> Macintosh HD -- Applications -- Utilities -- Disk Utility
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3a.

Old iPhone apps in iTunes

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:34 pm (PST)



I had to get Apple to delete three of five Apple IDs that had accumulated for me. Since then, I have had trouble trying to update apps on my iPhone that had been downloaded under now-deleted old Apple IDs.

Currently I have three of them I will have to buy again: Pages, Numbers, and Keynote for iPhone. They need updating but were downloaded under an earlier Apple ID.

Does anyone know how I can get them to disappear from my list of Apps in iTunes? I have unchecked them, but they are still there. How can I make them just go away from the apps list?

Daly
_________________________________________________________
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 27" screen, OS X 10.6.8,
AMD Radeon HD 6970M video, wired Apple mouse and keyboard. Partition: GUID Partition Table.

3b.

Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:12 pm (PST)




On Mar 10, 2012, at 8:34 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:

> I had to get Apple to delete three of five Apple IDs that had accumulated for me. Since then, I have had trouble trying to update apps on my iPhone that had been downloaded under now-deleted old Apple IDs.
>
> Currently I have three of them I will have to buy again: Pages, Numbers, and Keynote for iPhone. They need updating but were downloaded under an earlier Apple ID.
>
> Does anyone know how I can get them to disappear from my list of Apps in iTunes? I have unchecked them, but they are still there. How can I make them just go away from the apps list?

I have been weeding out my iPhone apps on the one account I use for purchases, and this may work for you.

First delete them from the iDevice, by holding the icon until they start to shake and an X appears on them. Then delete.

Second delete them from iTunes. iTunes> Library> in Icon mode, two-finger tap the desired and chose delete.

Last sync the iDevice with iTunes.

Sorry you have to repurchase the apps.

Brent
4.

MailHub for Lion

Posted by: "imran khan" sj.imran@gmail.com   sj.imran

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:26 am (PST)



Hi All,

Anyone using MailHub App. If so i need to know is it possible to tag mails.

Regards
IK

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Re: Transferring iTunes and 1 other app from iMac to MacBook Pro

Posted by: "pat412255" pat412@mac.com   pat412255

Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:56 am (PDT)




I would use the Home Sharing feature. It will allow you to add what you want from the iTunes library on your iMac to the existing library on your MacBook.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "exhicuturuguay" <PKMF1999@...> wrote:
>
> A while back, I got myself a MacBook. At that time, I did not transfer anything from the iMac to the MacBook since they were used for different purposes.
>
> However, I am thinking of getting rid of my iMac. This means I need too transfer my iTunes (including settings for iPod, iPhone 4s, & iPad over to the MacBook. I also would like to transfer 1 app (with data)which I don't have on the MacBook over.
>
> Any suggestions on how to do that without messing up what I already have on the MacBook?
>

6.

AppleCare Support Center

Posted by: "bobbystar" bobbystar@yahoo.com   bobbystar

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:01 am (PDT)



I received an email supposedly from the AppleCare Support Center.

It had a request for me to fill out a survey regarding my last call to the center. It contained my call number and the name of the rep (Victoria) who handled my call.

I am thinking this is spam because I have not called Apple in over a year and I had a male tech person assist me.

Any opinions on this are welcome.

Thanks,

Bobby

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web