3/11/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8783

Mac Support Central

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

1a.
Re: AppleCare Support Center From: Bekah
1b.
Re: AppleCare Support Center From: Tim O'Donoghue
2a.
Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes From: Daly Jessup
2b.
Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes From: N.A. Nada
2c.
Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes From: Daly Jessup
2d.
Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes From: N.A. Nada
2e.
Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes From: Bekah
2f.
Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes From: N.A. Nada
3a.
Re: HD Corrupt From: Tamara
4a.
Lion upgrade - email question From: Michael_pdx
4b.
Re: Lion upgrade - email question From: James Robertson
4c.
Re: Lion upgrade - email question Microsoft From: Michael_pdx
4d.
Re: Lion upgrade - email question Microsoft From: James Robertson
4e.
Re: Lion upgrade - email question Microsoft From: Doug Yelmen
5.
For tablet computer visionary Roger Fidler, a lot of what-ifs From: Andrew Buc
6.
Setting up a Buffalo Link Station ProQuad From: D. Brett Woods
7a.
Re: App store question From: neelie
8a.
Corrupt Address Book From: DaveC
8b.
Re: Corrupt Address Book From: Doug Yelmen
9.
Accessing Aperture photos through preferences From: Barbara Adamski
10a.
Hard luck hard disk story From: DaveC
10b.
Re: Hard luck hard disk story From: Doug Yelmen
10c.
Re: Hard luck hard disk story From: Randy B. Singer
11.
Do Not Track stats From: Doug Yelmen
12.
iPad Suggestion From: imran khan

Messages

1a.

Re: AppleCare Support Center

Posted by: "Bekah" bekah0176@sbcglobal.net   bekalex

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:13 am (PDT)



When in doubt - don't.

But, otoh, ... what are they asking for? Anything personal in any way? They should have all the info they need except for your satisfaction levels.

just my o

Bekah

On Mar 11, 2012, at 7:01 AM, bobbystar wrote:

> I received an email supposedly from the AppleCare Support Center.
>
> It had a request for me to fill out a survey regarding my last call to the center. It contained my call number and the name of the rep (Victoria) who handled my call.
>
> I am thinking this is spam because I have not called Apple in over a year and I had a male tech person assist me.
>
> Any opinions on this are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bobby
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

1b.

Re: AppleCare Support Center

Posted by: "Tim O'Donoghue" tjod@drizzle.net   timodonoghue

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:35 am (PDT)



Even if the request is for nothing personal, replying says "Here I am, a live person - spam me!" Bin it.


On Mar 11, 2012, at 7:13 AM, Bekah wrote:

> When in doubt - don't.
>
> But, otoh, ... what are they asking for? Anything personal in any way? They should have all the info they need except for your satisfaction levels.
>
> just my o
>
> Bekah
>
> On Mar 11, 2012, at 7:01 AM, bobbystar wrote:
>
>> I received an email supposedly from the AppleCare Support Center.
>>
>> It had a request for me to fill out a survey regarding my last call to the center. It contained my call number and the name of the rep (Victoria) who handled my call.
>>
>> I am thinking this is spam because I have not called Apple in over a year and I had a male tech person assist me.
>>
>> Any opinions on this are welcome.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bobby
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Group FAQ:
>> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>>
>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

2a.

Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:43 am (PDT)



I had asked how to delete applications from iTunes, and
Brent wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2012, at 8:34 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:
>
> First delete them from the iDevice, by holding the icon until they start to shake and an X appears on them. Then delete.
>
> Second delete them from iTunes. iTunes> Library> in Icon mode, two-finger tap the desired and chose delete.
>
> Last sync the iDevice with iTunes.

Thanks! That was the answer, to find them in the Library, not in the Apps tab of the iPhone part of iTunes.

One comment: I think on the iPhone, clicking that X on the shaking icon just quits the application. I think it is actually deleted from the iPhone in that last step, where you re-sync with the app no longer selected in iTunes.

Anyway, that was very helpful.

Daly
2b.

Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:34 pm (PDT)




On Mar 11, 2012, at 7:43 AM, Daly Jessup wrote:

> I had asked how to delete applications from iTunes, and
> Brent wrote:
>
> > On Mar 10, 2012, at 8:34 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:
> >
> > First delete them from the iDevice, by holding the icon until they start to shake and an X appears on them. Then delete.
> >
> > Second delete them from iTunes. iTunes> Library> in Icon mode, two-finger tap the desired and chose delete.
> >
> > Last sync the iDevice with iTunes.
>
> Thanks! That was the answer, to find them in the Library, not in the Apps tab of the iPhone part of iTunes.
>
> One comment: I think on the iPhone, clicking that X on the shaking icon just quits the application. I think it is actually deleted from the iPhone in that last step, where you re-sync with the app no longer selected in iTunes.

I don't mean in the small window below the "desktop"/home screen of the iPhone, but in the home screen. If you don't delete it on the iPhone, it will copy it to iTunes the next time you go to sync it. It will give you a message asking if you want to copy a purchase over from the iPhone.

Brent
2c.

Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:37 pm (PDT)



Brent wrote:

> I wrote:

>> One comment: I think on the iPhone, clicking that X on the shaking icon just quits the application. I think it is actually deleted from the iPhone in that last step, where you re-sync with the app no longer selected in iTunes.
>
> I don't mean in the small window below the "desktop"/home screen of the iPhone, but in the home screen. If you don't delete it on the iPhone, it will copy it to iTunes the next time you go to sync it. It will give you a message asking if you want to copy a purchase over from the iPhone.

Oh, okay. To my surprise I can get all the Apps "jiggling" that way fro the home screen, but can't find how to delete one of them from that condition. How do you get the option to delete from there?

Daly

(Running an iPhone 3GS with iOS 5.1)
2d.

Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:19 pm (PDT)




On Mar 11, 2012, at 4:37 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:

> Brent wrote:
>
> > I wrote:
>
> >> One comment: I think on the iPhone, clicking that X on the shaking icon just quits the application. I think it is actually deleted from the iPhone in that last step, where you re-sync with the app no longer selected in iTunes.
> >
> > I don't mean in the small window below the "desktop"/home screen of the iPhone, but in the home screen. If you don't delete it on the iPhone, it will copy it to iTunes the next time you go to sync it. It will give you a message asking if you want to copy a purchase over from the iPhone.
>
> Oh, okay. To my surprise I can get all the Apps "jiggling" that way fro the home screen, but can't find how to delete one of them from that condition. How do you get the option to delete from there?

From there, all the Apps "jiggling" that way fro the home screen, you should see a black dot with an X in it. Press the X, and you should get a dialog box asking if you want to delete that app and all its related data. The choices at that point are delete or cancel.

Hmmm, since you want to re-buy these apps, in this case that may be the deal breaker, unless you have them backed up on your Mac. You may be able to copy them back to your Mac with iTunes, or with some other app. I don't use DropBox or such, so I use PhoneView from ecamm.comm.

Brent

2e.

Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes

Posted by: "Bekah" bekah0176@sbcglobal.net   bekalex

Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:49 pm (PDT)



I've had to delete several apps (iPad2) and when I go to get them again they're already paid for - I just re-download.

Bekah

On Mar 11, 2012, at 5:19 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:

>
> On Mar 11, 2012, at 4:37 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:
>
>> Brent wrote:
>>
>>> I wrote:
>>
>>>> One comment: I think on the iPhone, clicking that X on the shaking icon just quits the application. I think it is actually deleted from the iPhone in that last step, where you re-sync with the app no longer selected in iTunes.
>>>
>>> I don't mean in the small window below the "desktop"/home screen of the iPhone, but in the home screen. If you don't delete it on the iPhone, it will copy it to iTunes the next time you go to sync it. It will give you a message asking if you want to copy a purchase over from the iPhone.
>>
>> Oh, okay. To my surprise I can get all the Apps "jiggling" that way fro the home screen, but can't find how to delete one of them from that condition. How do you get the option to delete from there?
>
> From there, all the Apps "jiggling" that way fro the home screen, you should see a black dot with an X in it. Press the X, and you should get a dialog box asking if you want to delete that app and all its related data. The choices at that point are delete or cancel.
>
> Hmmm, since you want to re-buy these apps, in this case that may be the deal breaker, unless you have them backed up on your Mac. You may be able to copy them back to your Mac with iTunes, or with some other app. I don't use DropBox or such, so I use PhoneView from ecamm.comm.
>
> Brent
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

2f.

Re: Old iPhone apps in iTunes

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:56 pm (PDT)




On Mar 11, 2012, at 6:49 PM, Bekah wrote:

> I've had to delete several apps (iPad2) and when I go to get them again they're already paid for - I just re-download.

The original problem that Daly has is that she is trying to delete apps she bought with an different Apple ID. So, re-downlading is not possible under the Apple ID she now wants to use. That is why I said it may be an issue.

Brent
3a.

Re: HD Corrupt

Posted by: "Tamara" tamaradeleon@gmail.com   tdbaeza

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:26 am (PDT)



Hey Tod, thanks...it works!!

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 10, 2012, at 7:27 PM, Tod Hopkins <hoplist@hillmanncarr.com> wrote:

> Some things to try before you do a complete backup and reformat...
>
> First, reboot your system in "Safe Mode". You do this by holding down the shift key after you hear the boot chime until you see the mac icon. When you reach the Login screen (which may take several minutes) it should say "Safe Boot" a the top of the login box. If it doesn't, try again. You probably did not hold the Shift key early enough or long enough.
>
> If you have reached Safe Mode, then complete the login and run Disk Utility. Run "Verify" on your hard drive (not Repair). Is it fixed? If so reboot and you're good to go. Actually, first look down at the bottom and check the "SMART" status. Make sure this does not indicate any problems. If SMART status indicates anything other than good, let us know. You probably need to replace the drive.
>
> If Verify still reports a bad disk, reboot from your Install disk. When you reach the Install screens, go to the menu bar and find Disk Utility. Run Disk Utility from the menu and try to "Repair" again. Make sure you are clicking "Repair" on the lower right, not "Repair Permissions" on the left. If the Repair fails, it should tell you in the report. The text will be red. If it reports success the text will be green. If it is successful but running Verify again says there is a problem, you have a bigger problem.
>
> If Disk Utility can not repair the disk booted from the Install disk, you need Disk Warrior, which cost $100. It is a great utility and can save a drive that Disk Utility cannot, but if $100 is too steep, the alternative is to follow Paul advice to backup, reformat, and restore.
>
> Cheers,
> tod
>
> On Mar 10, 2012, at 4:56 PM, paul smith wrote:
>
>> You can't erase the drive that you are booted up from.
>> Do you have an external hard drive? I'm guessing you do, since that would be where you were trying to create the Time Machine back-up. What you need to do now is create a bootable copy of Snow Leopard on the external hard drive, boot up from the external drive, and then erase the hard drive in your MacBook.
>> There are a couple of different ways to approach this task. If I were in your situation, I would get a cloning application (Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper are the most popular ones), which would duplicate everything on your current hard drive. You could then recopy the cloned drive back to the MacBook's erased (and hopefully repaired) hard drive.
>> --
>> PSmith
>> MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.7.3 iPhone 4S 64 GB, iOS 5.1
>>
>> On Mar 10, 2012, at 4:23 PM, Tamara De Leon wrote:
>>
>> I have a Macbook, Mac OS X version 10.6.8 with Snow Leopard. I'm trying to
>> do a back-up with Time Machine (fisrt time using Time Machine), and the
>> back-up couldn't be completed. I wanted to use Onyx so I can declutter the
>> computer
>> I verify the disk with Disk Utility and got the following message:
>>
>> "The volume HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired"
>>
>> I hit the Repair Disc buttom, it run fine, but then when I verify the disk
>> again I got the same message again. I did a manual back-up in case I had to
>> erase it, the thing is it won't let me erase it.
>>
>> I have no idea what should I do, I'm really starting to worry....HELP!
>>
>>
>
> Tod Hopkins
> Hillmann & Carr Inc.
> todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

4a.

Lion upgrade - email question

Posted by: "Michael_pdx" michael_pdx@yahoo.com   Michael_pdx

Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:19 am (PDT)



I upgraded my mini-mac at home to Lion and signed up for the "Cloud", so that I could continue to use my mac.com email address, and now I need help to save my marriage.

We were using Microsoft Entourage from an old version of Office for our email. Now it won't run. So we have no email for my wife using her Comcast email account, and no access to hundreds of saved emails that both she and I saved on purpose. I think I understand the reason (no more Rossetta), but I am not sure I know the solution.

What program can I buy that will allow my wife to use her Comcast email address, and is there a way to have access to all those old emails that we saved using entourage?

Thanks in advance. Mike

4b.

Re: Lion upgrade - email question

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:57 am (PDT)




On Mar 11, 2012, at 11:19 AM, Michael_pdx wrote:

> We were using Microsoft Entourage from an old version of Office for our email.

Which old version of Office? Office 2008 apps are universal binaries and will run in Lion. On the other hand, the INSTALLER program for Office 2008 is PPC code, so you cannot reinstall (easily) the apps from Office 2008.

Office 2004, on the other hand, is all PPC code and won't run under Lion.

I think you have to export from Entourage (either 2008 or 2004) before you can import into Apple Mail, but Diane Ross is the MS MVP who hangs out here and it's likely she'll give you the best advice if she sees your message.

--
Jim Robertson

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4c.

Re: Lion upgrade - email question Microsoft

Posted by: "Michael_pdx" michael_pdx@yahoo.com   Michael_pdx

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:09 pm (PDT)



Thanks Jim, it's Office 2004. There is no doubt. It doesn't run under Lion. A very clear error message is generated. Maybe I could just buy a new version of Office? I would do that in a heartbeat if it will read the old files.

4d.

Re: Lion upgrade - email question Microsoft

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:34 pm (PDT)




On Mar 11, 2012, at 12:09 PM, Michael_pdx wrote:

> Maybe I could just buy a new version of Office? I would do that in a heartbeat if it will read the old files.

Here's your dilemma: if you can find a copy of Office 2008, you'll have Intel code programs, but the installer on the disk is PPC code. As I mentioned before, I think there IS a trick that will allow you to install.

Of course, the current version of Office is 2011, and it doesn't include an email client unless you purchase the "professional" version, and that client isn't Entourage, it's a completely new application designed to look like Outlook for Windows, and called Outlook for Mac, even though it cannot directly read Outlook for Windows files. I THINK it can read the Entourage monolithic database (one file containing all your email, calendar, contacts, and notes information), but again I'd defer to Diane Ross about all of this

--
Jim Robertson

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4e.

Re: Lion upgrade - email question Microsoft

Posted by: "Doug Yelmen" dougyelmen@earthlink.net   dougyelmen

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:54 pm (PDT)



i was disappointed i didn't get Outlook. it looked interesting. but not for an addition hundred bucks. good ol' M$.
so, that motivated me to call Apple Tech Support about AB, as that was the problem, not Apple Mail.

doug

P.S. "defer to Diana Ross about all of this" cracked me up. shhhhh.
Doug Yelmen
dougyelmen@earthlink.net

http://www.flickr.com/photos/riverrat68/

On Mar 11, 2012, at 2:34 PM, James Robertson wrote:

>
> On Mar 11, 2012, at 12:09 PM, Michael_pdx wrote:
>
>> Maybe I could just buy a new version of Office? I would do that in a heartbeat if it will read the old files.
>
> Here's your dilemma: if you can find a copy of Office 2008, you'll have Intel code programs, but the installer on the disk is PPC code. As I mentioned before, I think there IS a trick that will allow you to install.
>
> Of course, the current version of Office is 2011, and it doesn't include an email client unless you purchase the "professional" version, and that client isn't Entourage, it's a completely new application designed to look like Outlook for Windows, and called Outlook for Mac, even though it cannot directly read Outlook for Windows files. I THINK it can read the Entourage monolithic database (one file containing all your email, calendar, contacts, and notes information), but again I'd defer to Diane Ross about all of this
>
> --
> Jim Robertson
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5.

For tablet computer visionary Roger Fidler, a lot of what-ifs

Posted by: "Andrew Buc" andrewbuc@staxman.net   andrewbuc

Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:52 am (PDT)



http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/for-tablet-computer-visionary-
roger-fidler-a-lot-of-what-ifs/2012/02/28/gIQAM0kN1R_story.html

6.

Setting up a Buffalo Link Station ProQuad

Posted by: "D. Brett Woods" brettlyw@mac.com   brettlyw

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm (PDT)



Hello,

I am now the proud owner of a Buffalo Link Station ProQuad RAID drive, 8 tb.

Setting it up has been, to say the least, not easy and I'm hoping I can get some help here.

My intention is to move my iTunes music library to the ProQuad as my hard drive in my iMac is almost full.

Here are my issues.

1. The easy instructions that come with the RAID drive say that when you run the NAS Navigator2 program that "the share is mounted as a drive icon on the desktop, or displayed in the sidebar of the Finder." Well, that doesn't happen. Rather, this drive seems to work like an iDisk that you have to sign on to. Or like a shared computer on my airport network that I have to sign on to. Is there a way to get it mounted on the desktop so that it looks like a hard drive and not what I think is called a blue-colored "sharepoint" drive? Again, the drive works absolutely contrary to what the instructions say.

2. I was able to create a folder on the array through the web interface. And after much effort, it is mounted on the desktop as a "sharepoint" drive. When I go to my system preferences, log in items, the drive does not appear as something that I can automatically log in to when I reboot the computer. Rather, I have to go through the sign on process like I'm signing on to an iDisk or to another computer on my home network. Is there a way to fix that so that it can have it show up as a log in item?

3. Most important, what is the best way to get the iTunes library moved to the new RAID drive? I went to iTunes system preferences, advanced and found the "sharepoint" drive I created. I pointed iTunes to that drive. iTunes asked if I would like to keep everything organized and moved to the drive. I clicked yes. A folder was created on the "sharepoint" drive but nothing was moved over. Can I do this through iTunes or am I going to have to move it all manually through the Finder? If I have to do a copy through the Finder, any suggetions? I guess I move the iTunes folder over via copy and then go to iTunes preferences and tell iTunes where I put all the data?

A friend of my has been helping. He is able to have the drive mount on his desktop like a drive. And as a login item. But me, so far, no way. His model is different than mine, so perhaps that explains why I can't do what he does.

I've checked with the company and I have all the latest firmware / software for the unit. The tech. support really couldn't help me on these issues, although they were very nice and helped with other stuff.

7a.

Re: App store question

Posted by: "neelie" neeliec2000@yahoo.com   neeliec2000

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:30 pm (PDT)



Thank you, Jay. I think I need to further explore all those "Mac Apps" and see what I'm missing!

Appreciate the help!

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jay Abraham <jaygroups@...> wrote:
>
> Not the same thing but works the same way. These are apps for the Mac and not the iPad or iPhone.
>
> Jay
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Mar 10, 2012, at 2:41 PM, "neelie" <neeliec2000@...> wrote:
>
> > OK...so I'm a long time Mac user, but I'm stumped.
> >
> > I'd NEVER used the "App Store" before getting my iPad2 last Nov. Of course a whole new world has opened up - an overwhelming one for sure.
> >
> > My question, albeit ignorant: is the "Mac App Store" the same thing as the "App Store" on iTunes?

8a.

Corrupt Address Book

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:15 pm (PDT)



A friend has ~ 1000 contacts in his Address Book. He tried to sync
his home iMac with iCloud (he has another iMac at work and an iPhone
all of which access this Address Book data base).

The result is that the home iMac hard disk is working overtime,
slowing down the entire Mac to a crawl.

When Address Book opens it shows multiple duplicate contacts (some as
many as 10x). AB says he now has 24,000 contacts.

Searching the 'net, I see suggestions for rebuilding the AB database
(the alliteratively named file abcddb). Apparently the instructions I
found are not for Lion; upon rebooting after following the
instructions the database did not automatically rebuild itself, and I
could find no means to re-import the database.

Anyone else have this experience or know how to fix a corrupt database?

Thanks,
Dave

Address Book 6.1 (I think)

8b.

Re: Corrupt Address Book

Posted by: "Doug Yelmen" dougyelmen@earthlink.net   dougyelmen

Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:37 pm (PDT)



Dave,
FWIW, and at your own peril…..
i called Apple Support after suffering from my AB not being able to delete entries, etc.
he ran me through some steps, and knowing me, i am sure i have forgotten something.

i dragged all the entries onto the desktop. then i deleted the plist. then something else?
then, i imported all the entries back into AB.
sure hope this is helpful.

doug
Doug Yelmen
dougyelmen@earthlink.net

http://www.flickr.com/photos/riverrat68/

On Mar 11, 2012, at 4:15 PM, DaveC wrote:

> A friend has ~ 1000 contacts in his Address Book. He tried to sync
> his home iMac with iCloud (he has another iMac at work and an iPhone
> all of which access this Address Book data base).
>
> The result is that the home iMac hard disk is working overtime,
> slowing down the entire Mac to a crawl.
>
> When Address Book opens it shows multiple duplicate contacts (some as
> many as 10x). AB says he now has 24,000 contacts.
>
> Searching the 'net, I see suggestions for rebuilding the AB database
> (the alliteratively named file abcddb). Apparently the instructions I
> found are not for Lion; upon rebooting after following the
> instructions the database did not automatically rebuild itself, and I
> could find no means to re-import the database.
>
> Anyone else have this experience or know how to fix a corrupt database?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
> Address Book 6.1 (I think)
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

9.

Accessing Aperture photos through preferences

Posted by: "Barbara Adamski" adamski@telus.net   bkadamski

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:07 pm (PDT)





Begin forwarded message:

> From: Barbara Adamski <adamski@telus.net>
> Subject: Accessing Aperture photos through preferences
> Date: 11 March, 2012 4:49:32 PM PDT
> To: macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com
>
> When I try to make any changes regarding the screensaver, I can't seem to access all of my Aperture projects/folders. A few are there, but that's it. How can I get all of them to show up there? I know there's a plus sign in the bottom corner, but when I click on that, I just get the same folders that are already accessible through Preferences.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> PS As for systems, I just upgraded to Lion today, but I had this problem in the earlier OS as well.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

10a.

Hard luck hard disk story

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:17 pm (PDT)



A client who uses mostly PCs had one of them fail last week. He took
it to his local PC shop and they gave him the bad news: hard disk
failure.

"No problem," he says. "I'll just put in a new disk and away we go!"

What about your applications? "I've got them on original CDs." Good.

What about your data files? E-mail archive, financial records? "I'll
just retrieve them from the old disk... oh, wait. They're not there?"

The end of the story involved a business called Drivesavers in N.
California, and $3000 later he was lucky to have his data files
restored.

And believe it or not, all this time he had a backup hard disk
sitting in the corner of his office he was "planning to hook up
sometime."

A tale of caution...

Dave

10b.

Re: Hard luck hard disk story

Posted by: "Doug Yelmen" dougyelmen@earthlink.net   dougyelmen

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:15 pm (PDT)



and a good one.

d.
Doug Yelmen
dougyelmen@earthlink.net

http://www.flickr.com/photos/riverrat68/

On Mar 11, 2012, at 8:17 PM, DaveC wrote:

> A client who uses mostly PCs had one of them fail last week. He took
> it to his local PC shop and they gave him the bad news: hard disk
> failure.
>
> "No problem," he says. "I'll just put in a new disk and away we go!"
>
> What about your applications? "I've got them on original CDs." Good.
>
> What about your data files? E-mail archive, financial records? "I'll
> just retrieve them from the old disk... oh, wait. They're not there?"
>
> The end of the story involved a business called Drivesavers in N.
> California, and $3000 later he was lucky to have his data files
> restored.
>
> And believe it or not, all this time he had a backup hard disk
> sitting in the corner of his office he was "planning to hook up
> sometime."
>
> A tale of caution...
>
> Dave
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

10c.

Re: Hard luck hard disk story

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:35 pm (PDT)




On Mar 11, 2012, at 8:17 PM, DaveC wrote:

> The end of the story involved a business called Drivesavers in N.
> California, and $3000 later he was lucky to have his data files
> restored.

He got taken by Drive Savers. At one time they were the definitive
place to take your Mac's hard drive for recovery. But they got full
of themselves and now do a half-hearted job for ridiculous prices.

I now recommend:

Drive Rescue, Inc.
Mac Data Recovery & Forensics
http://www.driverescue.net
443-310-7920

Drive Rescue would have charged your friend half the price he paid
Drive Savers, or less.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

11.

Do Not Track stats

Posted by: "Doug Yelmen" dougyelmen@earthlink.net   dougyelmen

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:50 pm (PDT)



3,208 tracking blocked.

619 social buttons
7 ad works
2,577 tracking companies

i love technology.

http://www.donottrackplus.com/howitworks.ph

Doug Yelmen
dougyelmen@earthlink.net

http://www.flickr.com/photos/riverrat68/

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

12.

iPad Suggestion

Posted by: "imran khan" sj.imran@gmail.com   sj.imran

Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm (PDT)



Dear All,

Good Day.

A friend of mine is selling his 3 month old iPad2 32GB WiFi only for $320.
he is ready to give it for 3 months installment should i go for it or buy
the the new iPad. I already have iPhone4s and a Android tablet i got as
gift.

I am confused need your suggestion.

Regards
IK

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web