4/17/2012

[apple-iphone] Digest Number 2969

Messages In This Digest (11 Messages)

1.
it Safe Mode From: Lynn
2a.
New iPad From: Carol
2b.
Re: New iPad From: Robert Poland
2c.
Re: New iPad From: Jay Abraham
2d.
Re: New iPad From: Jim Saklad
2e.
Re: New iPad From: Jim Harry
2f.
Re: New iPad From: lwr32
2g.
Re: New iPad From: Mark Sanford Geiger
3.
Add iPhone power to your DSLR with Flash-Dock From: Brent
4a.
Re: Lost talking book files, found From: lwr32
5a.
Re: Is it worth getting an iPad 1? From: lwr32

Messages

1.

it Safe Mode

Posted by: "Lynn" lynneifler@aol.com   lynvest2

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:15 am (PDT)



My iPhone 4 has gone to 'it safe mode' recently 2-3 times! Why?
Draw Free is new app. Don't use phone for games very often. Could this be the problem?

Sent from my iPhone

2a.

New iPad

Posted by: "Carol" floridabouvs@gmail.com   floridabouvs

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:42 am (PDT)



Having seen it, I am wanting to get the new iPad and my husband will take my iPad 2. Can I expect to walk into an Apple store and buy it, or do I still need to preorder and have it delivered? I got my current one at the Apple store and appreciate that they helped me get it set up.
Also, I bought Applecare with my current one and haven't needed. It is a lot of money. I've seen on this list that there is another extended warranty that you can get on line but I don't recall which one.
Thanks for any direction.
Carol

2b.

Re: New iPad

Posted by: "Robert Poland" rpoland@usa.net   rpoland

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:48 am (PDT)



Carol,

The new Warranty is AppleCare + it sort of insures for accidental damage. If you drop the iPad and break the glass, etc for $50 they will repair/replace it.

On Apr 16, 2012, at 11:34 AM, Carol wrote:

> Having seen it, I am wanting to get the new iPad and my husband will take my iPad 2. Can I expect to walk into an Apple store and buy it, or do I still need to preorder and have it delivered? I got my current one at the Apple store and appreciate that they helped me get it set up.
> Also, I bought Applecare with my current one and haven't needed. It is a lot of money. I've seen on this list that there is another extended warranty that you can get on line but I don't recall which one.
> Thanks for any direction.
> Carol

2c.

Re: New iPad

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:25 pm (PDT)



I think you are talking about the SquareTrade warranty.

Jay

On Apr 16, 2012, at 12:34 PM, Carol wrote:

> I've seen on this list that there is another extended warranty that you can get on line but I don't recall which one.

2d.

Re: New iPad

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:25 pm (PDT)



> Also, I bought Applecare with my current one and haven't needed. It is a lot of money. I've seen on this list that there is another extended warranty that you can get on line but I don't recall which one.
> Carol

The new AppleCare+ warranty essentially matches the "other" -- Square Trade -- except you get to deal directly with Apple instead of a 3rd-party repair service.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2e.

Re: New iPad

Posted by: "Jim Harry" jim.harry@harryfamily.com   jnharry

Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:52 pm (PDT)



On Monday, April 16, 2012, Carol wrote:

> Can I expect to walk into an Apple store and buy it, or do I still need to
> preorder and have it delivered? I got my current one at the Apple store and
> appreciate that they helped me get it set up.
>

It depends on the store, but I think most Apple Stores have had most units in stock. Mine has both times I went there recently. Of course that can vary day by day.

2f.

Re: New iPad

Posted by: "lwr32" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:36 pm (PDT)



You should be able to go in to an Apple Store or Best Buy and buy an iPad 3 gen easily enough. You're doing what I did. Get myself an iPad and give my iPad 2 to my hubby. We didnt get extended warranties on our iPads. The one that comes with it is good enough.

🐰 Alice

On Apr 16, 2012, at 10:34 AM, "Carol" <floridabouvs@gmail.com> wrote:

> Having seen it, I am wanting to get the new iPad and my husband will take my iPad 2. Can I expect to walk into an Apple store and buy it, or do I still need to preorder and have it delivered? I got my current one at the Apple store and appreciate that they helped me get it set up.
> Also, I bought Applecare with my current one and haven't needed. It is a lot of money. I've seen on this list that there is another extended warranty that you can get on line but I don't recall which one.
> Thanks for any direction.
> Carol
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2g.

Re: New iPad

Posted by: "Mark Sanford Geiger" geiger4@gmail.com   mgmarx19

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:40 pm (PDT)



Mine was purchased on line and I picked it up at the Apple store 1 hour later.

Mark Sanford Geiger
Sent from my iPad

On Apr 16, 2012, at 2:45 PM, Jim Harry <jim.harry@harryfamily.com> wrote:

> On Monday, April 16, 2012, Carol wrote:
>
> > Can I expect to walk into an Apple store and buy it, or do I still need to
> > preorder and have it delivered? I got my current one at the Apple store and
> > appreciate that they helped me get it set up.
> >
>
> It depends on the store, but I think most Apple Stores have had most units in stock. Mine has both times I went there recently. Of course that can vary day by day.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3.

Add iPhone power to your DSLR with Flash-Dock

Posted by: "Brent" flapdoodle@gmail.com   flapdoodle44

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:02 pm (PDT)



http://www.technologytell.com/apple/93884/add-iphone-power-to-your-dslr-with-flash-dock/

Sent to you by Brent via Google Reader: Add iPhone power to your DSLR
with Flash-Dock via AppleTell » iPhone/iPod touch/iPad by Kirk Hiner on
4/16/12



pocketDEMO has released the Flash-Dock, a device which connects your
iPhone (or any other SmartPhone) to your DSLR camera via the
flash-socket, or "hotshoe adapter." And why would you want to do this?
Well, to share and geotag your pictures, for starters, but also to use
as a light meter, as a depth of field calculator, as a level, and more.

We'll let pocketDEMO give you the details directly:

Geotagging with .GPX files: SmartPhones have a built-in GPS and most
DSLR don't. SmartPhones can record tracks into a file called a "GPX
file". That file is then read by iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom, Photoshop
Elements, Picasa and most photo library software's. What these
softwares do is, merge this GPS data with the metadata of pictures
taken during the photo-shoot. It is simple and free.

Geotagging with bluetooth: Some add-on devices like the BlueSLR are
plugged into the DSLR GPS connector. Since SmartPhones also have a
Bluetooth connection, they can send in real-time location information
to the camera that in turn will geotag pictures. It works the same way
as if there was a GPS receiver plugged into the DSLR, only cheaper.

LightMeter: SmartPhones have cameras and light sensors. Both combined,
some smart developers have managed to create Light Meters that perform
very well. They do require a calibration with a real light meter, but
passed this stage, all the fotographer needs is a SmartPhone.

Depth Of Field calculator: These apps let the DSLR user calculate
precisely the sharp area before and after the subject. These
calculators take into account the lens type, the camera model and
aperture to give a very precise value.

Level: Photographers have used levels for years on their tripods and
now some DSLR feature an electronic horizontal line. However, some
cameras do not have this feature and people can now monitor a level
even without a tripod. Typical accelerometers inside the SmartPhones
have an accuracy of 0.1, more than enough for a level functionality.

Microphone: The latest DSLRs all have video functionalities. However,
the sound is often not in par with the video quality. SmartPhones on
the other hand are made to deliver good sound quality with ambient
noise cancellation and remote recording. Another good example of
combining DSLR and SmartPhones.

Vibrations monitoring: What sort of vibrations does the shutter bring
on a DSLR? With Seismometers apps, photographers can visually see and
record the vibrations brought by their set up and correct it until
pictures are taken completely still.



Flash-Dock is available now for $39.99 (USD) or 34.95 Euro.

Product [Flash-Dock]

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to AppleTell » iPhone/iPod touch/iPad using Google Reader
- Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
favorite sites

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

Re: Lost talking book files, found

Posted by: "lwr32" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:31 pm (PDT)



I had problems with Google Voice. It worked fine in the beginning, then all my calls went to GV without me doing anything. The message I recorded with them got all garbled up. About half the calls I got didn't even ring my phone. They went to voicemail. I got the messages in my email. Every time I went to retrieve my messages fromGV, there weren't any....yet they always showed up in my email. I got more spam calls than anything with GV. Took forever to shut off GV also. So I gave up with GV and went back to just getting calls the regular way.

🐰 Alice

On Apr 15, 2012, at 5:35 PM, Rasputin Novgorod <priapulus@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I didn't realize the term e(lectronic)Books, excluded
> audio books. I found them. Click Music.
> Click "more", and it shows Audiobooks.
>
> Thank you for your suggestions.
>
> Sincerely
> /blair
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net>
> To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 2:55:09 PM
> Subject: Re: [apple-iphone] Lost talking book files
>
> You confused me, ebooks are digital publications consisting of text and images, but your last sentence describes audio books.
>
> Have you tried syncing the books a second time. Sometimes they don't move over on the first sync and I have never seen a transfer confirmation from iTunes. I have seen indication that the sync is finished, but not confirming success.
>
> The m4b format contains DRM so if you are borrowing the books from someone else, you most likely not be able to listen to them. Where did you acquire the books from the iTunes store or elsewhere. We might be able to help if we know the source.
>
> Could it be from your public library using Overdrive?
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Re: Is it worth getting an iPad 1?

Posted by: "lwr32" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:09 pm (PDT)



Thanks :-) As you use the iPad 3 gen, you'll notice the clarity more and more. At least I did. I didn't see it as a WOW right at first.

🐰 Alice

On Apr 13, 2012, at 9:51 AM, Julie Goucher <juliegoucher@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Whiterabbit32!
>
> I have just re-read my post and I I did not say there was no difference in
> iPads.
> I am still using my iPad 1 and will update to the 3 at some point this year.
> I can not compare to the 2, as neither I or my husband have one. I did find
> your
> observations of the differences interesting though.
>
> Julie
>
> This is what I wrote:
> " Hello Alice,
> >>
> >> I have my iPad 1 and like you debated should I, shouldn't I for ages.
> Then
> >> I bought one and decided to go with the 3G+WiFi 64GB and was delighted
> >> with
> >> it. It has really come into its own in the last 6 months as I have been
> >> ill with a bad back - walking upstairs, and I have lots of them, was
> >> tiresome and even though I have a laptop, which is portable, I like
> >> sitting
> >> at my desk with it.
> >>
> >> The iPad has been brilliant. I can read on it, although I do have a
> >> kindle.
> >> I can read, delete and reply to emails, blog and play some games - I like
> >> words for friends and the screen is a little small on my iPhone, although
> >> if I had my glasses on it might help! Not to mention Facebook, twitter.
> Do
> >> the Sainsburys grocery delivery. I love it!!
> >>
> >> I would recommend it and although I will probably update at some point, I
> >> am happy with my iPad 1 for now. Purchasing from eBay is OK. I would
> >> really
> >> look around for the best deal - the most flexibility and space the money
> >> can buy and pay via Paypal then you have at least the insurances for the
> >> purchase. What sort of capacity can you get for £120?
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Julie (also in the UK!) "
>
> On 12 April 2012 20:51, whiterabbit <whiterabbit32@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > Julie, I have to disagree with you that there is no difference in iPads.
> > The biggest difference I see are speed and screen clarity. From the
> > original iPad to the iPad 2 I noticed the speed difference when editing
> > photos. Between the iPad 2 and the new iPad, I notice the speed difference
> > in everything I do on the new iPad. With screen clarity, I notice it most
> > looking at photos and reading. Anyway, it's just my opinion :-)
> >
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Small Business Group

Share experiences

with owners like you

Yahoo! Groups

Parenting Zone

Tips for a happy,

healthy home

Yahoo! Groups

Cats Group

Join a group for

cat owners like you

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web