4/23/2012

[apple-iphone] Digest Number 2975

Messages In This Digest (20 Messages)

1a.
Re: Keyboard strikes From: Sanjaya Kanoria
1b.
Re: Keyboard strikes From: Jeff Allison
1c.
Re: Keyboard strikes From: Sanjaya Kanoria
1d.
Re: Keyboard strikes From: Clarke Jesse
2a.
Switching SIMs From: Martin Rice
2b.
Re: Switching SIMs From: David Morganstein
3.
iPhone bike mount... From: Alice
4a.
Re: Not able to sync the ipad 2 From: Meetheen Mundeth
4b.
Re: Not able to sync the ipad 2 From: N.A. Nada
5a.
iPhone got locked up From: mele
5b.
Re: iPhone got locked up From: Brent
5c.
Re: iPhone got locked up From: N.A. Nada
6a.
Re: Rearrange contacts in groups From: Sanjaya Kanoria
6b.
Re: Rearrange contacts in groups From: Susan Ferraglio
6c.
Re: Rearrange contacts in groups From: Sanjaya Kanoria
6d.
Re: Rearrange contacts in groups From: Susan Ferraglio
7.
Re: [macsupport] Siri's location-based reminders From: Bill Boulware
8.
problemas From: Pu2pja - yahoo
9a.
Re: New iPad From: Diane Mettam
10.
Google's GoTasks no longer working? From: T L

Messages

1a.

Re: Keyboard strikes

Posted by: "Sanjaya Kanoria" wsbunter@gmail.com   zixxwr

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:33 am (PDT)



Turn Siri on in settings: general and enter your preferences. Then a small mile will appear on your keyboard. Tap the mike and dictate your messages into it and click done when finished. Your message will magically appear on the screen! Tell me how it goes.

On 21-Apr-2012, at 7:46 PM, UnityHappens <unityhappens@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you give us an example of a command to Siri that would take the
> messages you dictate?
>
> Thanks!
> unityhappens@gmail.com
>
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Sanjaya Kanoria <wsbunter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > If you have the iPhone 4 S use the Siri to dictate messages it's much
> > faster much more convenient and almost magical!
> >
> > DICTATED USING SIRI!
> >
> > On 20-Apr-2012, at 5:09 PM, Archie C Grapa <archiegrapa@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Mine always does. I never knew it can be switched off.
> > > Are we talking iPhone here?
> > >
> > > Archie
> > >
> > > On Apr 20, 2012, at 11:37, Joan Clarke <lvjesse@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > My keys show a popup of the letters as I type them. This has never
> > happened before, don't what I touched. I found nothing in settings to fix
> > this. Also the typing speed is slow. This happened when I replied to an
> > email.
> > >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1b.

Re: Keyboard strikes

Posted by: "Jeff Allison" jeff.allison@allygray.2y.net   jeff+allison

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:01 am (PDT)



Do you mean this...

http://db.tt/XC5vPuZV
>

If so that's what they all do.

1c.

Re: Keyboard strikes

Posted by: "Sanjaya Kanoria" wsbunter@gmail.com   zixxwr

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:03 am (PDT)



If you dictate a message into your iPhone using SIRI no human being is listening to it. It's the software which is writing down what you're speaking into your phone. However ALL of your data on the phone can be accessed by the gentlemen at apple if you're using iCloud to backup! Similarly whenever you send an email your host (gmail, yahoo etc) is privy to all you're sending. The police have access to these computers and do actually use them to trace terrorists etc. Indubitably, the moment one uses an electronic communication medium privacy is lost.

On 22-Apr-2012, at 12:44 AM, lwr32 <whiterabbit32@gmail.com> wrote:

> Talking to your iPhone using Siri is not private like typing is. I have an iPad 3 gen with dictation. Haven't used it. I don't want my side of messages of any sort being listened to by people it doesn't concern. Sound reasonable?
>
> 🐰 Alice
>
> On Apr 20, 2012, at 10:48 PM, Sanjaya Kanoria <wsbunter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If you have the iPhone 4 S use the Siri to dictate messages it's much faster much more convenient and almost magical!
> >
> > DICTATED USING SIRI!
> >
> > On 20-Apr-2012, at 5:09 PM, Archie C Grapa <archiegrapa@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Mine always does. I never knew it can be switched off.
> > > Are we talking iPhone here?
> > >
> > > Archie
> > >
> > > On Apr 20, 2012, at 11:37, Joan Clarke <lvjesse@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > My keys show a popup of the letters as I type them. This has never happened before, don't what I touched. I found nothing in settings to fix this. Also the typing speed is slow. This happened when I replied to an email.
> > >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1d.

Re: Keyboard strikes

Posted by: "Clarke Jesse" lvjesse@yahoo.com   lvjesse

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:53 am (PDT)



Yes, with a major delay between key strikes normally, my iPhone does show the letters being struck but much smaller and with no delay when typing each letter. I type fast and the letters are so small I barely see them with the screen shot you've shown in the link you can see how big that letter looks compared to the keyboard.

Jesse,

>________________________________
> From: Jeff Allison <jeff.allison@allygray.2y.net>
>To: "apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com" <apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com>
>Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:55 AM
>Subject: Re: [apple-iphone] Keyboard strikes
>
>

>Do you mean this...
>
>http://db.tt/XC5vPuZV
>>
>
>If so that's what they all do.

2a.

Switching SIMs

Posted by: "Martin Rice" martinrice1@mac.com   martin_rice

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:33 am (PDT)



If for some reason I wanted to use my iPhone 4 for a few days instead of my 4S, can I take the SIM out of the 4S and put it into the 4 and have the 4 work?

Thanks,
Martin

2b.

Re: Switching SIMs

Posted by: "David Morganstein" drm0223@mac.com   drm0223

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:42 am (PDT)



Yes. I did it from 4 to 4S, no problem.

On Apr 22, 2012, at 7:11 AM, Martin Rice wrote:

> If for some reason I wanted to use my iPhone 4 for a few days instead of my 4S, can I take the SIM out of the 4S and put it into the 4 and have the 4 work?

3.

iPhone bike mount...

Posted by: "Alice" alicex@adventuresunderground.co.uk   djalice

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:33 am (PDT)



The little lady and I are embarking on a trip to the Lake District soon and have been thinking of interesting things to do with my iPhone while away.

I thought it would be nice to take a movie of one of our rides through the beautiful countryside and what's the best way to go about it.

I've checked out a few iPhone 4 bike mounts but wondered if any of you had any suggestions?

A lot of the ones I've seen seem to cover the camera as they are probably meant for satnav use.

Also, does the iPhone 4 have image stabilisation or is that just the 4s? We'll be on a Harley so the suspension isn't the best.

Thanks

Alice

4a.

Re: Not able to sync the ipad 2

Posted by: "Meetheen Mundeth" meetheen@gmail.com   meetheen

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:34 am (PDT)



dear ones

I tried to back up and restore but is not possible. My ipad goes on/off in
between and the restoration is not able to complete.

Any other options?

Meetheen

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM, David Morganstein <drm0223@mac.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Restore from back-up.
>
> David
>
>
> On Apr 12, 2012, at 3:00 AM, meetheen <meetheen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am not able to sync my ipad2. It keeps on re-starting while carrying
> out the syncing. How can I resolve?
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4b.

Re: Not able to sync the ipad 2

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:52 am (PDT)



Yes, that is part of the Restore proccess. It gives you messages saying that it will quit and restart and to leave it attached.

Let it complete the process or you could wind up with a "brick". It may even do this three times.

When unlocking my AT&T iPhone 3GS, under the new AT&T policy, it first restored to factory default, then restored the current iOS, and then took almost 2 hours to restore all my stuff.

Let it complete the process. Do not interrupt it. Keep every thing plugged in and plugged into power.

On Apr 21, 2012, at 11:59 PM, Meetheen Mundeth wrote:

> dear ones
>
> I tried to back up and restore but is not possible. My ipad goes on/off in
> between and the restoration is not able to complete.
>
> Any other options?

5a.

iPhone got locked up

Posted by: "mele" max@mcn.org   melejudell

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:03 am (PDT)



I just called someone who had not set up their voicemail yet. I got a message saying sorry, this user has not set up their voicemail yet. goodbye.

When I closed the connection, I heard some clicks and noises as if the connection did not want to close.

I unplugged my iphone from my computer because the clicks and live sounds kept happening even though I had hung up.

now the phone is frozen, with a padlock symbol at the top and the screen reads:as if I am receiving a call: "UNKNOWN" at the top of the screen, and "slide to answer" at the bottom of the screen.

The phone is totally unresponsive. I cannot slide the arrow and I cannot go to another screen.

It seems to be frozen.

5b.

Re: iPhone got locked up

Posted by: "Brent" flapdoodle@gmail.com   flapdoodle44

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:06 am (PDT)



Did you reboot the iPhone?

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM, mele <max@mcn.org> wrote:

> **
>
>
> I just called someone who had not set up their voicemail yet. I got a
> message saying sorry, this user has not set up their voicemail yet. goodbye.
>
> When I closed the connection, I heard some clicks and noises as if the
> connection did not want to close.
>
> I unplugged my iphone from my computer because the clicks and live sounds
> kept happening even though I had hung up.
>
> now the phone is frozen, with a padlock symbol at the top and the screen
> reads:as if I am receiving a call: "UNKNOWN" at the top of the screen, and
> "slide to answer" at the bottom of the screen.
>
> The phone is totally unresponsive. I cannot slide the arrow and I cannot
> go to another screen.
>
> It seems to be frozen.
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5c.

Re: iPhone got locked up

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:54 am (PDT)



The solution for most issues with the iPhone are to first try a Restart. If that does not work, then try a Reset. If that does not work, then try a Restore. And finally if that does not work then take it in to Apple.

See this article for how to restart and or restore.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1430

If that does not work then, put "restore" into the search box and follow the instructions from that article. Try to do a Backup before you Restore, not all things are automatically moved to your computer, so try to copy things like photos to you computer first.

That should handle 99% of all issues, and you should only have to take it to Apple for the remaining 1%.

Brent

On Apr 22, 2012, at 7:54 AM, mele wrote:

> I just called someone who had not set up their voicemail yet. I got a message saying sorry, this user has not set up their voicemail yet. goodbye.
>
> When I closed the connection, I heard some clicks and noises as if the connection did not want to close.
>
> I unplugged my iphone from my computer because the clicks and live sounds kept happening even though I had hung up.
>
> now the phone is frozen, with a padlock symbol at the top and the screen reads:as if I am receiving a call: "UNKNOWN" at the top of the screen, and "slide to answer" at the bottom of the screen.
>
> The phone is totally unresponsive. I cannot slide the arrow and I cannot go to another screen.
>
> It seems to be frozen.

6a.

Re: Rearrange contacts in groups

Posted by: "Sanjaya Kanoria" wsbunter@gmail.com   zixxwr

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:04 am (PDT)



I downloaded it but don't know how to add and delete contacts from a grouo

On 20-Apr-2012, at 7:48 PM, Susan Ferraglio <bladessf@aol.com> wrote:

> I use contactsxl on the iPad. There is a contactsxl 1 and a 4 by the same company for the iPhone. I don't need the iPhone app because any changes I make on the iPad is synced to iTunes and then to the phone. Works great.
> Sue
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 19, 2012, at 10:43 PM, Sanjaya Kanoria <wsbunter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If I sync my contacts to a computer I get duplicates so I now only sync them to the iCloud. however I'd like to know how to arrange contacts in groups which was earlier possible only through the computer.
> >
> > DICTATED USING SIRI!

6b.

Re: Rearrange contacts in groups

Posted by: "Susan Ferraglio" bladessf@aol.com   bladessf2000

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:54 am (PDT)



Hi Sanjaya - after you create all your groups and arrange things the way you want you can add and remove contacts directly in the iPhone contacts app no need to use the xl app. The groups are recreated in the basic iPhone contacts app.
When I want to add a new group I go back into xl

Sue

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 22, 2012, at 11:02 AM, Sanjaya Kanoria <wsbunter@gmail.com> wrote:

> I downloaded it but don't know how to add and delete contacts from a grouo
>
> On 20-Apr-2012, at 7:48 PM, Susan Ferraglio <bladessf@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> I use contactsxl on the iPad. There is a contactsxl 1 and a 4 by the same company for the iPhone. I don't need the iPhone app because any changes I make on the iPad is synced to iTunes and then to the phone. Works great.
>> Sue
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Apr 19, 2012, at 10:43 PM, Sanjaya Kanoria <wsbunter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If I sync my contacts to a computer I get duplicates so I now only sync them to the iCloud. however I'd like to know how to arrange contacts in groups which was earlier possible only through the computer.

6c.

Re: Rearrange contacts in groups

Posted by: "Sanjaya Kanoria" wsbunter@gmail.com   zixxwr

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:23 pm (PDT)



I'd created my groups on the mac before syncing to the iPhone. Now that I don't sync contacts to the mac how do I know which new contacts are there and which group to put them into.

On 22-Apr-2012, at 9:40 PM, Susan Ferraglio <bladessf@aol.com> wrote:

> Hi Sanjaya - after you create all your groups and arrange things the way you want you can add and remove contacts directly in the iPhone contacts app no need to use the xl app. The groups are recreated in the basic iPhone contacts app.
> When I want to add a new group I go back into xl
>
> Sue
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 22, 2012, at 11:02 AM, Sanjaya Kanoria <wsbunter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I downloaded it but don't know how to add and delete contacts from a grouo
> >
> > On 20-Apr-2012, at 7:48 PM, Susan Ferraglio <bladessf@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I use contactsxl on the iPad. There is a contactsxl 1 and a 4 by the same company for the iPhone. I don't need the iPhone app because any changes I make on the iPad is synced to iTunes and then to the phone. Works great.
> >> Sue
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPhone
> >>
> >> On Apr 19, 2012, at 10:43 PM, Sanjaya Kanoria <wsbunter@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>> If I sync my contacts to a computer I get duplicates so I now only sync them to the iCloud. however I'd like to know how to arrange contacts in groups which was earlier possible only through the computer.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6d.

Re: Rearrange contacts in groups

Posted by: "Susan Ferraglio" bladessf@aol.com   bladessf2000

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:37 pm (PDT)



Sorry to say I do not have a Mac. When I started I had no groups in my contacts. I started from scratch with contactsxl on the iPad. Created groups assigned various contacts to the groups and it mirrored in the iPad contacts app. I synced to my pc. Not sure if the sync to pc or iCloud transferred the changes to my iPhone. Anyone with Mac experience able to help???
Sue

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 22, 2012, at 5:05 PM, Sanjaya Kanoria <wsbunter@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd created my groups on the mac before syncing to the iPhone. Now that I don't sync contacts to the mac how do I know which new contacts are there and which group to put them into.
>
> On 22-Apr-2012, at 9:40 PM, Susan Ferraglio <bladessf@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sanjaya - after you create all your groups and arrange things the way you want you can add and remove contacts directly in the iPhone contacts app no need to use the xl app. The groups are recreated in the basic iPhone contacts app.
>> When I want to add a new group I go back into xl
>>
>> Sue
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Apr 22, 2012, at 11:02 AM, Sanjaya Kanoria <wsbunter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I downloaded it but don't know how to add and delete contacts from a grouo
>>>
>>> On 20-Apr-2012, at 7:48 PM, Susan Ferraglio <bladessf@aol.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> I use contactsxl on the iPad. There is a contactsxl 1 and a 4 by the same company for the iPhone. I don't need the iPhone app because any changes I make on the iPad is synced to iTunes and then to the phone. Works great.
>>>> Sue
>>>>
>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>>
>>>> On Apr 19, 2012, at 10:43 PM, Sanjaya Kanoria <wsbunter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> If I sync my contacts to a computer I get duplicates so I now only sync them to the iCloud. however I'd like to know how to arrange contacts in groups which was earlier possible only through the computer.

7.

Re: [macsupport] Siri's location-based reminders

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 am (PDT)



I just took a few minutes and did another test,

"Remind me to call home when I get to Barabara Arrington's" (name changed
to protect the friend - was actually a much more unique name;->)

"When would you like me to remind you?"

"When I arrive at Barbara Arringtons"

Siri popped up with both addresses for this person and asked me to select
which one (via tap) - I tapped on the home address and it "got it" then
asked me to confirm I said yes and it was done.

So 1. Create contact with exact name you want to use, "Airport Club" with
the correct address

Then use Siri to create reminder OR

Launch Reminders
Tap +
type action (call home, check gas, etc) and tap enter/return
then tap the > more on the new item
tap Remind me
turn At a location on
it will default to current location - tap that
then it will show your "work" and "home" addresses (if set)
tap Choose Address...
Select contact
Select address if more than one
Back up select When I leave or When I arrive
Select a day/frequency if you like and tap done

In other words if Siri understands you? Much easier to dictate
If it doesn't or you are on a call or listening to music, you can do it
manually

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:13, James Robertson <jamesrob@sonic.net> wrote:

> **
>
>
>
> On Apr 22, 2012, at 8:10 AM, James Robertson wrote:
>
> > On Apr 22, 2012, at 7:16 AM, Bill Boulware wrote:
> >
> > > I haven't had time to go further and try and actual place name such as
> > > "Airport Club"
> >
>
> Well, THAT didn't work!
>
> Anyone have any idea how I set characters sets in Mail.app and my forum
> preferences so that they play well together?
>
>
> --
> Jim Robertson
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8.

problemas

Posted by: "Pu2pja - yahoo" pu2pja@yahoo.com.br   pu2pja

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:08 am (PDT)



I'll start from the beginning.

I bought my iPhone in a store provider. I had done some updates for ios4.1

Today I made an update to iOS5.1 and resetting completely.
Just arriving in time to enable the information appears (can not activate the iPhone)

Can anyone help me?

Thank you all.

Fine Sunday.

Pablo Alessandro - PU2PJA

Numero Cel: (14) 8100.2222 / (14) 9767.6793

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

9a.

Re: New iPad

Posted by: "Diane Mettam" dmettam@yahoo.com   dmettam

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:12 pm (PDT)



I've purchased Apple Care on all my products and have used it on my MacBook and one iPhone. I heartily recommend it. They replaced my keyboard when my Schnauzer stepped on it and popped off a key, and they replaced the CD drive - no questions asked and they were very quick. I live three hours from a WalMart (just for reference) and at least five hours from any Apple store/tech person, so I used the mail-in service and had my products back in less than a week. Very friendly, too.

10.

Google's GoTasks no longer working?

Posted by: "T L" techlady04@yahoo.com   techlady04

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:00 pm (PDT)



Using Google's GoTasks app to synch with my iPhone. Worked well before. Today I upgraded the app. 

It is now unable to synch. The message reads "Synchronization for this account is not supported. Please re-create your GoTasks account". 

I've checked on Google's website...no help there.

I don't want to lose my tasks..which i'm afraid will happen if I re-create the account.

Anyone have this issue or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

TL

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Dogs Owners Group

Join Do More For Dogs

pet community

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Mental Health

Learn More

Yahoo! Groups

Small Business Group

Own a business?

Connect with others.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web