4/19/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8860

Messages In This Digest (9 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: How can I trash Newstand?

Posted by: "HAL9000" jrswebhome@yahoo.com   jrswebhome

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:32 pm (PDT)



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnsVFomvwCg

Can't trash the folder, but I can successfully hide it out of sight. Hooray!!!! jr

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "HAL9000" <jrswebhome@...> wrote:
>
> On my iPhone how can I trash this app? I don't use it nor see any use for it as I visit whoever I want to read. jr
>

1b.

Re: How can I trash Newstand?

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:05 pm (PDT)



Like the guy who posted it to youtube, if you try to run in there it will crash your iDevice. I'll pass and suggest you just move it to the last desktop and forget it.

On Apr 18, 2012, at 4:31 PM, HAL9000 wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnsVFomvwCg
>
> Can't trash the folder, but I can successfully hide it out of sight. Hooray!!!! jr
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "HAL9000" <jrswebhome@...> wrote:
> >
> > On my iPhone how can I trash this app? I don't use it nor see any use for it as I visit whoever I want to read. jr
> >

2a.

Re: Rotating through Safari's windows (...or not)

Posted by: "Jon Kreisler" jonkreisler@gmail.com   jonkreisler

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:33 pm (PDT)



I prefer windows over tabs because there is a WIndow menu, so I can quickly
see all the sites I have open. There is no tab menu to see all the tabs to
select from.

Jon

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Otto Nikolaus <otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com
> wrote:

> **
>
>
> On 18 April 2012 19:04, DaveC <davec2468@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >
> > >24 separate browser windows???
> >
> > The sign of an inquisitive mind? ;-)
> >
>
> Inquisitive minds might wonder why you have so many separate windows
> instead of a much smaller number, each with a number of tabs ...;)
>
> Otto
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> _
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3a.

Re: How change my Mac Machine name?

Posted by: "OldTechie" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   exdetroiter

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:37 pm (PDT)



Otto,

Nope,

Jim

> Your Computer Name is something like
> Old Techie's Mac Computer
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

Re: OS X warns of "out of disk space", but lies!

Posted by: "paul smith" kullervo@nycap.rr.com   waldonny

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:30 pm (PDT)



And tod's comment did not deal with how the statement was received. He gave an opinion on the spirit in which it was offered.
--
PSmith
MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.7.3 iPhone 4S 64 GB, iOS 5.1

On Apr 18, 2012, at 2:01 PM, DaveC wrote:

I think each of us is the best judge of how a statement was received,
not a 3rd party.

5a.

Re: Networked Color Laser Printers

Posted by: "Arjun Singhal" arjunsinghal@yahoo.com   arjunsinghal

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:22 am (PDT)



Got the HP Laserjet CP 1525n

On 18-Apr-2012, at 5:05 PM, John Ross wrote:

> I use a Dell 1350 wireless, good prints, fast enough, well pleased.
>
> On 18 Apr 2012, at 08:59, Arjun Singhal wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > We need to buy a medium grade color printer for our educational support venture - Quotient 1 Learning (www.quotient1.com)
> >
> > So far we were using the HP DesktJet 6500 Wireless Multi-function Print/Copy/Scan/Fax for printing our material. However, the per page printing cost is high using a DeskJet as we need to print 30-40 pages per day in color.
> >
> > We are looking to purchase a medium duty color laser printer - that can be connected to the network by either ethernet or wireless and can be accessed by both Macs and PCs with good support. I like the HP Brand for the life of their printers and general availability of consumables.
> >
> > Can anyone please suggest a good printer which we can buy? I currently have a list of two printers available with my vendor
> >
> > These are model numbers 1525 and 1515 which are both in the range of INR 20,000 to INR 25,000 (USD 400-500)
> >
> > Request an early response.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Arjun
> > blowtrumpet.com
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Group FAQ:
> > <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
> TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
> The largest games in the world
> Privacy Policy
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6a.

Saving a bunch of photos as a single PDF file?

Posted by: "George Barker" lynxster@ihug.com.au   four46

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:13 am (PDT)



Hi

The title pretty much sums it up.

A have a group of scanned photos which I would like to just pour into
some app which I could then save as a single PDF file.

I'm then wanting to annotate these pictures - within the file - using Preview.

Preview would seem to be the obvious candidate for creating the file
in the first place, however it only saves the currently open "page"
to a file; and not the other images available in the sidebar. I can
understand why this happens, but it's very frustrating - a case of
so near yet so far...

With Apple's Print to PDF there must be a way of doing this?
Whatever app I drop the initial photos into would need to
automatically place them in a column - similar in appearance to
Preview's sidebar.

I've tried dropping them into Pages, but with the number of pics I'm
facing it would take way too long - and too much effort - to drag and
place each image individually.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

George
--
----------------------------------------------------------
George Barker
----------------------------------------------------------

6b.

Re: Saving a bunch of photos as a single PDF file?

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com   dalyjessup

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:05 am (PDT)




On Apr 19, 2012, at 2:13 AM, George Barker wrote:

> The title pretty much sums it up.
>
> A have a group of scanned photos which I would like to just pour into
> some app which I could then save as a single PDF file.
>
> I'm then wanting to annotate these pictures - within the file - using Preview.

Well, I don't know how many you are talking about. But I just opened the lovely free text editor called Bean, and in the Finder, opened a folder of photos, selected all of them in the folder, then dragged the selected photos onto a blank page in Bean.

I saved the Bean document. Then "printed" it to PDF. Opened the PDF in Preview and started annotating.

Is your problem that you just have too many so that your computer chokes on the size of the job? If so, how about dragging them into a document 20 at a time or splitting them into several PDFs?

Daly
6c.

Re: Saving a bunch of photos as a single PDF file?

Posted by: "George Barker" lynxster@ihug.com.au   four46

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:38 am (PDT)



>On Apr 19, 2012, at 2:13 AM, George Barker wrote:
>
>> The title pretty much sums it up.
>>
>> A have a group of scanned photos which I would like to just pour into
>> some app which I could then save as a single PDF file.
>>
>> I'm then wanting to annotate these pictures - within the file -
>>using Preview.
>
>Well, I don't know how many you are talking about. But I just opened
>the lovely free text editor called Bean, and in the Finder, opened a
>folder of photos, selected all of them in the folder, then dragged
>the selected photos onto a blank page in Bean.
>
>I saved the Bean document. Then "printed" it to PDF. Opened the PDF
>in Preview and started annotating.
>
>Is your problem that you just have too many so that your computer
>chokes on the size of the job? If so, how about dragging them into a
>document 20 at a time or splitting them into several PDFs?
>
>Daly

Thanks Daly

That's just what I needed. Bean automatically arranges the photos
(fantastic!) whereas Pages just leaves them in an overlapping heap
all on the one page, requiring me to select each one individually and
drag it to where I want it.

I've had Bean on my Macs for as long as I can remember, but I'd never
found a use for it. Maybe I should explore its potential even further.

George
--
----------------------------------------------------------
George Barker
----------------------------------------------------------

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web