4/14/2012

[apple-iphone] Digest Number 2966

Messages In This Digest (5 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Is it worth getting an iPad 1?

Posted by: "halfhoff" gerrysair@shaw.ca   halfhoff

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:25 am (PDT)



This is a difficult question to answer.

If you are new to Apple and you are going to be using the iPad 1 to read books, watch streaming like NetFlix, browse the internet and play games, the iPad 1 will seem amazing. That said, now that I have the third generation iPad with its super fast browswer and high resolution screen, I would not want to go back.

I sold my iPad 1 to my work colleague. He and his kids love it. The games play pretty much the same and he watches NetFlix on it. He has nothing to compare it to in terms of his experience so it kicks butt for him.

For the price and needs of someone who is really undecided or lacks a lot of funds, it is still a viable option.

Moving forward, I expect that when the next generation of iPad comes out, it may seem like the iPhone 3G does to those who have it - in need of replacing.

1b.

Re: Is it worth getting an iPad 1?

Posted by: "Julie Goucher" juliegoucher@gmail.com   jdg122000

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:57 am (PDT)



Hello Whiterabbit32!

I have just re-read my post and I I did not say there was no difference in
iPads.
I am still using my iPad 1 and will update to the 3 at some point this year.
I can not compare to the 2, as neither I or my husband have one. I did find
your
observations of the differences interesting though.

Julie

This is what I wrote:
" Hello Alice,
>>
>> I have my iPad 1 and like you debated should I, shouldn't I for ages.
Then
>> I bought one and decided to go with the 3G+WiFi 64GB and was delighted
>> with
>> it. It has really come into its own in the last 6 months as I have been
>> ill with a bad back - walking upstairs, and I have lots of them, was
>> tiresome and even though I have a laptop, which is portable, I like
>> sitting
>> at my desk with it.
>>
>> The iPad has been brilliant. I can read on it, although I do have a
>> kindle.
>> I can read, delete and reply to emails, blog and play some games - I like
>> words for friends and the screen is a little small on my iPhone, although
>> if I had my glasses on it might help! Not to mention Facebook, twitter.
Do
>> the Sainsburys grocery delivery. I love it!!
>>
>> I would recommend it and although I will probably update at some point, I
>> am happy with my iPad 1 for now. Purchasing from eBay is OK. I would
>> really
>> look around for the best deal - the most flexibility and space the money
>> can buy and pay via Paypal then you have at least the insurances for the
>> purchase. What sort of capacity can you get for £120?
>>
>> Regards
>> Julie (also in the UK!) "

On 12 April 2012 20:51, whiterabbit <whiterabbit32@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Julie, I have to disagree with you that there is no difference in iPads.
> The biggest difference I see are speed and screen clarity. From the
> original iPad to the iPad 2 I noticed the speed difference when editing
> photos. Between the iPad 2 and the new iPad, I notice the speed difference
> in everything I do on the new iPad. With screen clarity, I notice it most
> looking at photos and reading. Anyway, it's just my opinion :-)
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1c.

Re: Is it worth getting an iPad 1?

Posted by: "Alice" alicex@adventuresunderground.co.uk   djalice

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:31 am (PDT)



Thanks to all for your informative posts. I think I'll go for it it.
I don't want a camera or 3G ( I can tether it to my iPhone if I really need it while out and about)

I'll be getting the cheapest deal I can find on eBay and se how it goes.

Thanks

Alice

On 13 Apr 2012, at 17:51, Julie Goucher wrote:

> Hello Whiterabbit32!
>
> I have just re-read my post and I I did not say there was no difference in
> iPads.
> I am still using my iPad 1 and will update to the 3 at some point this year.
> I can not compare to the 2, as neither I or my husband have one. I did find
> your
> observations of the differences interesting though.
>
> Julie
>
> This is what I wrote:
> " Hello Alice,
> >>
> >> I have my iPad 1 and like you debated should I, shouldn't I for ages.
> Then
> >> I bought one and decided to go with the 3G+WiFi 64GB and was delighted
> >> with
> >> it. It has really come into its own in the last 6 months as I have been
> >> ill with a bad back - walking upstairs, and I have lots of them, was
> >> tiresome and even though I have a laptop, which is portable, I like
> >> sitting
> >> at my desk with it.
> >>
> >> The iPad has been brilliant. I can read on it, although I do have a
> >> kindle.
> >> I can read, delete and reply to emails, blog and play some games - I like
> >> words for friends and the screen is a little small on my iPhone, although
> >> if I had my glasses on it might help! Not to mention Facebook, twitter.
> Do
> >> the Sainsburys grocery delivery. I love it!!
> >>
> >> I would recommend it and although I will probably update at some point, I
> >> am happy with my iPad 1 for now. Purchasing from eBay is OK. I would
> >> really
> >> look around for the best deal - the most flexibility and space the money
> >> can buy and pay via Paypal then you have at least the insurances for the
> >> purchase. What sort of capacity can you get for £120?
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Julie (also in the UK!) "
>
> On 12 April 2012 20:51, whiterabbit <whiterabbit32@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > Julie, I have to disagree with you that there is no difference in iPads.
> > The biggest difference I see are speed and screen clarity. From the
> > original iPad to the iPad 2 I noticed the speed difference when editing
> > photos. Between the iPad 2 and the new iPad, I notice the speed difference
> > in everything I do on the new iPad. With screen clarity, I notice it most
> > looking at photos and reading. Anyway, it's just my opinion :-)
> >
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: Newsstand app

Posted by: "halfhoff" gerrysair@shaw.ca   halfhoff

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:26 am (PDT)



The Zinio app works great on the iPad as well. I read my Hockey News on both platforms and it is fantastic.

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, lwr32 <whiterabbit32@...> wrote:
>
> Yes, using Zinio https://www.zinio.com/account/download-reader-page.jsp
>
> On Apr 12, 2012, at 6:27 PM, Allan wrote:
>
> > Is there anyway to read some of these magazines on your desktop or are they only available for reading on the iphone or iPad ?

3a.

Re: How do I unlock a locked iPhone? Restore?

Posted by: "Bill" kernos@gmail.com   kernos501

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:28 pm (PDT)



At 9:18 AM -0500 4/12/12, Mike Rodgers wrote:
Locked usually refers to the carrier to keep you from jumping to another carrier.

Silly mistake-- it's an iPod Touch. Sorry

Bill

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Y! Groups blog

The place to go

to stay informed

on Groups news!

Yahoo! Groups

Parenting Zone

Tips for family,

kids and living

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Bi-polar disorder

Find support

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web