4/15/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8851

Messages In This Digest (20 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Another term question

Posted by: "Tim O'Donoghue" tjod@drizzle.net   timodonoghue

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:20 am (PDT)



Yep! A bit obscure to most folks I'd say - not a reference many would get. There's also a "deirdre" in the house.

On Apr 13, 2012, at 10:54 PM, paul smith wrote:

> Given your family name, it was pretty clear to me where the "cuchalain" was coming from. ;)
> --
> PSmith
> MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.7.3 iPhone 4S 64 GB, iOS 5.1
>
>

1b.

Re: Another term question

Posted by: "Marc Reavis" shirasagi@earthlink.net   seitsaman

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:41 am (PDT)



On Apr 14, 2012, at 4:32 AM, Jon Kreisler wrote:
> They appear to be standard Unix executables:
>
> $ which cpmac mvmac
> /usr/bin/cpmac
> /usr/bin/mvmac
>
> $ ls -l /usr/bin/cpmac /usr/bin/mvmac
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 25408 Nov 3 17:55 /usr/bin/cpmac
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 19104 Nov 3 17:55 /usr/bin/mvmac
>
> $ file /usr/bin/cpmac /usr/bin/mvmac
> /usr/bin/cpmac: Mach-O executable i386
> /usr/bin/mvmac: Mach-O executable i386
>
> $ cpmac ?
> usage: cpmac [-r] [-p] <source-path> <dest-path>
> cpmac [-r] [-p] <source-path>... <dest-dir>
> $ mvmac ?
> usage: mvmac <source-path>... <dest-dir>
>
> Jon

I still can't find them on my Mac. Are these commands available only to those who've installed the Developer package? That's what my online searches indicate.

Marc
1c.

Re: Another term question

Posted by: "Jon Kreisler" jonkreisler@gmail.com   jonkreisler

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:02 am (PDT)



Marc,
You are correct. After further research, it appears cpmac and mvmac are
installed as a result of installing the Xcode Tools (Developer Toolkit.)
The description of these commands indicate that as of Mac OS X 10.4 the cp
and mv commands have been updated to preserve "metadata and resource forks
of files on Extended HFS volumes."
So, if you are running 10.4 or later, cpmac and mvmac are not necessary any
longer.
Hmm, I learned something new today.
Jon

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Marc Reavis <shirasagi@earthlink.net>wrote:

> **
>
>
> On Apr 14, 2012, at 4:32 AM, Jon Kreisler wrote:
> > They appear to be standard Unix executables:
> >
> > $ which cpmac mvmac
> > /usr/bin/cpmac
> > /usr/bin/mvmac
> >
> > $ ls -l /usr/bin/cpmac /usr/bin/mvmac
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 25408 Nov 3 17:55 /usr/bin/cpmac
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 19104 Nov 3 17:55 /usr/bin/mvmac
> >
> > $ file /usr/bin/cpmac /usr/bin/mvmac
> > /usr/bin/cpmac: Mach-O executable i386
> > /usr/bin/mvmac: Mach-O executable i386
> >
> > $ cpmac ?
> > usage: cpmac [-r] [-p] <source-path> <dest-path>
> > cpmac [-r] [-p] <source-path>... <dest-dir>
> > $ mvmac ?
> > usage: mvmac <source-path>... <dest-dir>
> >
> > Jon
>
> I still can't find them on my Mac. Are these commands available only to
> those who've installed the Developer package? That's what my online
> searches indicate.
>
> Marc
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: Quicken 2007 (Lion) can't print checks

Posted by: "Harriet Lord" hlord1@me.com   hlordhlord

Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:44 am (PDT)



Daly Jessup asked
"Did you upgrade to the Lion version of Quicken?"

Yes. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

I was using it for about 3 or 4 days before attempty to print a check.

I spent a few hours working on this last night and found a suggestion to check the preferences. The numbers on the printing preferences were weird, and I found the preferences an older nonlion version (on another computer) and fixed them. Now when I try to print Quicken doesn't crash - it just prints blanks!

After another hour I managed to import my file into Quicken Essentials and print a check. But I really don't like quicken essentials at all.

3a.

Re: Transferring e books from iPad to Computer

Posted by: "mrfearless47" mrfearless47@yahoo.com   mrfearless47

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:47 am (PDT)





--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Paul Cartwright <paul@...> wrote:
>
>
> Perhaps use dropbox?
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 13, 2012, at 6:27, "halboye18" <hal.horwitz@...> wrote:
>
> > My daughter has a bunch of ebooks on her iPad and I want to copy them to my MacBook ... When I connect her iPad to my computer I can copy them but not paste the files to my computer. Under Get Info ... it says files are locked.
> >
> > Is there a way to do what I want?
> >
> > I would be happy to take your suggestions off line
> >
> > Thanks very much for your assistance,
> >
> > hal
> >
> > hal.horwitz@...
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

You can move them anywhere you want via Dropbox, but opening them is another matter. If your daughter purchased them with her account, and you have a different account, then her books are all tied to her user name (either Kindle or Apple). They are only openable on devices registered to the same person who purchased the books.

mrf

3b.

Re: Transferring e books from iPad to Computer

Posted by: "Bekah" bekah0176@sbcglobal.net   bekalex

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:57 am (PDT)



On Apr 14, 2012, at 8:47 AM, mrfearless47 wrote:

>> On Apr 13, 2012, at 6:27, "halboye18" <hal.horwitz@...> wrote:
>>> My daughter has a bunch of ebooks on her iPad and I want to copy them to my MacBook ... When I connect her iPad to my computer I can copy them but not paste the files to my computer. Under Get Info ... it says files are locked.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to do what I want?
>>>
>>> I would be happy to take your suggestions off line
>>>
>>> Thanks very much for your assistance,
>
> You can move them anywhere you want via Dropbox, but opening them is another matter. If your daughter purchased them with her account, and you have a different account, then her books are all tied to her user name (either Kindle or Apple). They are only openable on devices registered to the same person who purchased the books.

Exactly as I understand it. The content of e-books is generally not transferable to other parties - this is Amazon, Barnes & Noble, IBooks ( Mac). This is one of the main miffs from anti-ebook folks.

Bekah
3c.

Re: Transferring e books from iPad to Computer

Posted by: "halboye18" hal.horwitz@comcast.net   halboye18

Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:16 pm (PDT)



OK, so that's interesting. We do share an account at iTunes ... so how do I get them from her iPad to my iPad? That was the plan all along.

thanks, hal

hal.horwitz@comcast.net

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@...> wrote:
>
> You're right, bummer. They won't play on any Mac. They could be read on an iDevice, but you would have to share an account.
>
> Brent
>
>
> On Apr 13, 2012, at 12:55 PM, halboye18 wrote:
>
> > thanks, Brent ... It's a bummer, 'cause she bought them thru iTunes
> >
> > hal
> > hal.horwitz@...
> >
> > --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > On Apr 13, 2012, at 6:27 AM, halboye18 wrote:
> > >
> > > > My daughter has a bunch of ebooks on her iPad and I want to copy them to my MacBook ... When I connect her iPad to my computer I can copy them but not paste the files to my computer. Under Get Info ... it says files are locked.
> > > >
> > > > Is there a way to do what I want?
> > > >
> > > > I would be happy to take your suggestions off line
> > >
> > > Leave it on the list, as others can learn from the answers, too.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Hal,
> > >
> > > it depends on the ebooks, the format, the copy protection and where they were purchased or gotten from.
> > >
> > > Give us this information so we can help you.
> > >
> > > If they are ebooks that she purchased from Apple's iBook, they they can not be transferred to a Mac. Yeah, bummer.
> > >
> > > If they are opened with Adobe Digital Editions, they may not be able to be read with any device with a different MAC number, machine access code number or unique identifier. This usually is used for text or reference books in my experience, but I have seen it on a book of fiction.
> > >
> > > If it is a library book from Overdrive, there might be a way, but it would be easier to just check it out yourself.
> > >
> > > You might be able to share an account for some readers, like Kindle or Nook, and read it on your Mac.
> > >
> > > Some ebooks may be able to be transferred if you have the correct software on the Mac.
> > >
> > > So as you can see, until you tell us more, there are too many variables for us to guess.
> > >
> > > Brent
> > >
> >
> >
>

3d.

Re: Transferring e books from iPad to Computer

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:13 pm (PDT)



Aw, that is different from the subject line and what you said initially.

While you are signed into the shared iTunes account, I think in Settings > Store > turn on Books, and it should automatically down load any purchases on that account.

I don't have an iPad and so if you need further help, someone else will have to help. If you need more help repost with a better subject line.

Brent

On Apr 14, 2012, at 12:16 PM, halboye18 wrote:

> OK, so that's interesting. We do share an account at iTunes ... so how do I get them from her iPad to my iPad? That was the plan all along.

3e.

Re: Transferring e books from iPad to Computer

Posted by: "Mr & Mrs Alma & Colin Lane" clan1623@bigpond.net.au   lightning532001

Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:45 am (PDT)



Hal if you both share the same iTunes account then you can have the books on both iPads ,, my husband & I do. As she has bought the books from apple then they are in iTunes , you get them on your iPad by sync after choosing the books you wish to have on your iPad.

Sent from my iPad . Alma 

On 15/04/2012, at 4:46 AM, "halboye18" <hal.horwitz@comcast.net> wrote:

> OK, so that's interesting. We do share an account at iTunes ... so how do I get them from her iPad to my iPad? That was the plan all along.
>
> thanks, hal
>
> hal.horwitz@
>

4.

Been making 'Terminal' progress

Posted by: "Jim" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   jimpurcell2001

Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:35 pm (PDT)



I CDed up and down the path from ~/ to bottom and from bottom to ~/
created file using cat > from ~/ down to firstdir/seconddir/tst tst was filename
Then I opened the file also from ~/
then rm file from ~/ then rmdir two dirs, also from ~/
Wow! Progress!!!

Jim
Not bad for an old fart!

5a.

WTF? Why are all my apps launching themselves one-by-one?

Posted by: "Michael Grant" mgrant@gmail.com   maclingua

Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:52 pm (PDT)



Well, maybe not all of them, but all of the browsers on my system,
plus DevonThink, System Prefs, NetNewsWire, Daylite, OmniGraffle...?
Is my computer haunted?

Anyone seen this? Activity Monitor shows the parent process as
launched(270), which doesn't help much, at least at my skill level.

Thanks,
Michael

--
There's really no such thing as translating. It's all a scam. We
basically just make stuff up and try to make it sound plausible.

5b.

Re: WTF? Why are all my apps launching themselves one-by-one?

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:14 pm (PDT)



What OS are yo running?

On Apr 14, 2012, at 1:52 PM, Michael Grant wrote:

> Well, maybe not all of them, but all of the browsers on my system,
> plus DevonThink, System Prefs, NetNewsWire, Daylite, OmniGraffle...?
> Is my computer haunted?
>
> Anyone seen this? Activity Monitor shows the parent process as
> launched(270), which doesn't help much, at least at my skill level.

5c.

Re: WTF? Why are all my apps launching themselves one-by-one?

Posted by: "Michael Grant" mgrant@gmail.com   maclingua

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:11 pm (PDT)



Lion (10.7.3). I seem to be seeing a lot of Spotlight indexing
activity too, could be related. Nothing in the logs that looks
relevant, as far as I can tell.

I did also notice that several of the apps that launched, besides the
ones I mentioned earlier, were from Apple — all three iWork apps,
TextEdit.

Thanks,
Michael

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM, N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:
> What OS are yo running?
>
> On Apr 14, 2012, at 1:52 PM, Michael Grant wrote:
>
>> Well, maybe not all of them, but all of the browsers on my system,
>> plus DevonThink, System Prefs, NetNewsWire, Daylite, OmniGraffle...?
>> Is my computer haunted?
>>
>> Anyone seen this? Activity Monitor shows the parent process as
>> launched(270), which doesn't help much, at least at my skill level.
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
>  Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

--
There's really no such thing as translating. It's all a scam. We
basically just make stuff up and try to make it sound plausible.

5d.

Re: WTF? Why are all my apps launching themselves one-by-one?

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:42 pm (PDT)



Michael,

That is a feature of 10.7. Read the dialog box that pops up when you shut your Mac down. There is a default that you can uncheck that says, "Reopen windows when logging back in". That also includes re-starting the Mac.

It is part of the resume where you left off feature of 10.7.

Answer to the next question you are about to ask, "Can you change the default?" No you can't, but I which you could.

No, the indexing is not related in any way. Have you limited what is indexed? Or do you just ask questions and then look for settings afterwards?

Clean up your acromyns while you are at it.

Brent

On Apr 14, 2012, at 4:10 PM, Michael Grant wrote:

> Lion (10.7.3). I seem to be seeing a lot of Spotlight indexing
> activity too, could be related. Nothing in the logs that looks
> relevant, as far as I can tell.
>
> I did also notice that several of the apps that launched, besides the
> ones I mentioned earlier, were from Apple � all three iWork apps,
> TextEdit.

5e.

Re: WTF? Why are all my apps launching themselves one-by-one?

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:30 am (PDT)



On 4/14/2012 11:40 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:
> Michael,
>
> That is a feature of 10.7. Read the dialog box that pops up when you shut your Mac down. There is a default that you can uncheck that says, "Reopen windows when logging back in". That also includes re-starting the Mac.
>
> It is part of the resume where you left off feature of 10.7.
>
> Answer to the next question you are about to ask, "Can you change the default?" No you can't, but I which you could.
>
> No, the indexing is not related in any way. Have you limited what is indexed? Or do you just ask questions and then look for settings afterwards?
>
>
There is a terminal command one can issue to stop programs from
launching automatically, regardless of the 'checkmark' upon restart or
log off.

See this article:

<http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/25/disable-reopen-windows-when-logging-back-in-in-mac-os-x-lion-completely/>

Note, this site allows one to download a script that will run on your
Mac, and download the appropriate commands to disable auto open in Lion.
I"ve done it, so I know it works and is safe. There is also an
alternate manual script mentioned that can be executed instead.

Harry

6a.

MS Office for mac 2011 (home edition)

Posted by: "Doug Yelmen" dougyelmen@earthlink.net   dougyelmen

Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:52 pm (PDT)



finally! MS Outlook is included with Office!
still will stick with Mail. but i like Outlook too.

Doug Yelmen
dougyelmen@earthlink.net

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
― Robert A. Heinlein

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6b.

Re: MS Office for mac 2011 (home edition) Part II

Posted by: "Doug Yelmen" dougyelmen@earthlink.net   dougyelmen

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:15 pm (PDT)



Apparently not. Reminds me why I hate M$.
word and Powerpoint excepted.

doug
Doug Yelmen Photography
dougyelmen@earthlink.net

On Apr 14, 2012, at 7:52 PM, Doug Yelmen wrote:

> finally! MS Outlook is included with Office!
> still will stick with Mail. but i like Outlook too.
>
>
> Doug Yelmen
> dougyelmen@earthlink.net
>
> "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
> ― Robert A. Heinlein
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7.

Skype portrait only on iPad

Posted by: "caribsea@bellsouth.net" caribsea@bellsouth.net   caribsea@bellsouth.net

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:16 pm (PDT)



Can't figure out why Skype is only in portrait view on my iPad2. It won't move, no matter what I do, yet tonight it seemed to forget itself and opened in landscape, then quickly went to portrait. Other apps are fine.

Willi
iPad2
iMac
G4PBs

8a.

TRANSFERING VIDEO FILES

Posted by: "Michael Moloney" moloney.icloud@gmail.com   moloney_mj

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:57 pm (PDT)



Hello

Any ideas on the best way to transfer large movie file using an iMac? The movie file is under 5 minutes in total.

Any help is much appreciated.

Michael Moloney
moloney.icloud@gmail.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8b.

Re: TRANSFERING VIDEO FILES

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:26 am (PDT)



On 4/14/2012 9:06 PM, Michael Moloney wrote:
> Hello
>
> Any ideas on the best way to transfer large movie file using an iMac? The movie file is under 5 minutes in total.
>

Depends upon where the source is and where the target is. There are
various ways of moving large files that are public and free.

Harry

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web