4/22/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8865

Messages In This Digest (15 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Been   trying start up key shortcuts,  none works

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:10 am (PDT)



Hmmm... haven't seen that. You are holding the key, right? You need to hold the key down until you can see it change the systems behavior. You can also hold it before the chime. You don't have to wait, though I generally do.

Others startups you can try. Holding "C" starts from disc (like the install disc). Holding Option gets you to boot selection screen (for multi-boot). Holding "V" is the quickest to see because this launches "Verbose" mode where you will see the actual "unix" boot messages during boot instead of the OSX cover screens. Very useful for troubleshooting startup.

And some of these can be combined, like shift and v for Verbose Safe Mode start.

You can also try "zapping the PRAM" which is done by holding CMD-option-P-R all at the same time. Hold until you get a second boot chime, then let go. Basically, it will keep rebooting until you let go. In the old days, it was recommended that you hold for at least three chimes but I don't see that recommended much any more. One reboot should do. This flushes out all of your pre-boot settings. Useful trouble-shooting step when stuff is not behaving, especially startup issues like this.

Cheers,
tod

On Apr 20, 2012, at 9:52 PM, exdetroiter wrote:

> I can't get any shortcuts to work.
> Tried D startup mgr, F12 eject media, SHFT safe mode. OS X just runs normally. Pressed keys as soon s chime dings, continue well into rotating gear.
>
> Jim
>
>

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1b.

Re: Been   trying start up key shortcuts,  none works

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:13 am (PDT)



I think Apple discontinued D or diagnosis mode when they moved to OS X. Not really certain. If you go to the Apple Store they will connect an external HD to run diagnostics. fsck runs every time you boot up. If you go to System Report or System Profiler> Hardware> Diagnostics, you will see they are run when you last started up.

A simple search in the Apple Support came up with the following:

"Mac OS X: How to start up in single-user or verbose mode"

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1492

the "v" key for verbose mode. (Command-V), and

"OS X Lion: Shortcuts for starting up"

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4394

On Apr 21, 2012, at 6:10 AM, Tod Hopkins wrote:

> Hmmm... haven't seen that. You are holding the key, right? You need to hold the key down until you can see it change the systems behavior. You can also hold it before the chime. You don't have to wait, though I generally do.
>
> Others startups you can try. Holding "C" starts from disc (like the install disc). Holding Option gets you to boot selection screen (for multi-boot). Holding "V" is the quickest to see because this launches "Verbose" mode where you will see the actual "unix" boot messages during boot instead of the OSX cover screens. Very useful for troubleshooting startup.
>
> And some of these can be combined, like shift and v for Verbose Safe Mode start.
>
> You can also try "zapping the PRAM" which is done by holding CMD-option-P-R all at the same time. Hold until you get a second boot chime, then let go. Basically, it will keep rebooting until you let go. In the old days, it was recommended that you hold for at least three chimes but I don't see that recommended much any more. One reboot should do. This flushes out all of your pre-boot settings. Useful trouble-shooting step when stuff is not behaving, especially startup issues like this.
>
> Cheers,
> tod
>
> On Apr 20, 2012, at 9:52 PM, exdetroiter wrote:
>
>> I can't get any shortcuts to work.
>> Tried D startup mgr, F12 eject media, SHFT safe mode. OS X just runs normally. Pressed keys as soon s chime dings, continue well into rotating gear.
>>
>> Jim

1c.

Re: Been   trying start up key shortcuts,  none works

Posted by: "OldTechie" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   exdetroiter

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:32 am (PDT)




N.A. Nada

TNX for your reply, I saved most of it for later to try each item.

Jim

> I think Apple discontinued D or diagnosis mode when they moved to OS X. Not really certain. If you go to the Apple Store they will connect an external HD to run diagnostics. fsck runs every time you boot up. If you go to System Report or System Profiler> Hardware> Diagnostics, you will see they are run when you last started up.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1d.

Re: Been   trying start up key shortcuts,  none works

Posted by: "exdetroiter" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   exdetroiter

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:34 am (PDT)



I tried the mouse button to eject the optical disk and that worked, only one that did.
I tried cmd +v for verbose, just went to standard ;log in. Actually the other ones in the Lion startup key table don't look like I'd ever use any. Stat as single user, I am in both ways. I'm the only users and since my wife died I am also single in the other way.

ANOTHER PROBLEM. USSING Safari on Yahoo, I can't get the compose font any large than very tiny. I right clicked in the msg window, chose fonts, open fonts, nothing happened, I wonder whether that is a Yahoo problem Never needed to change compose fonts on my PC.

I guess I can do without the startup stuff, other than ejecting an optical disk. I may have to use my PC for Yahoo if I plan to send msgs.

Jim

1e.

Re: Been   trying start up key shortcuts,  none works

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:46 pm (PDT)



None work? Are you using a BlueTooth or USB keyboard? BT is not recognized until after start up.

Try using another Browser if you need larger fonts to use Yahoo web email.

On Apr 21, 2012, at 11:34 AM, exdetroiter wrote:

> I tried the mouse button to eject the optical disk and that worked, only one that did.
> I tried cmd +v for verbose, just went to standard ;log in. Actually the other ones in the Lion startup key table don't look like I'd ever use any. Stat as single user, I am in both ways. I'm the only users and since my wife died I am also single in the other way.
>
> ANOTHER PROBLEM. USSING Safari on Yahoo, I can't get the compose font any large than very tiny. I right clicked in the msg window, chose fonts, open fonts, nothing happened, I wonder whether that is a Yahoo problem Never needed to change compose fonts on my PC.
>
> I guess I can do without the startup stuff, other than ejecting an optical disk. I may have to use my PC for Yahoo if I plan to send msgs.

1f.

Re: Been   trying start up key shortcuts,  none works

Posted by: "OldTechie" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   exdetroiter

Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:41 pm (PDT)



N.A.,

No, a regular USB Mac keyboard. I tried using my KVM switched to the Mac, since that failed I plugged a Mac KBD plugged into the Mac USB port. It works fine when the Mac has already running, in fact both keyboards work then.
I also tried removing the KVM USB cable from the Mac in case it was interfering, so dice.
> None work? Are you using a BlueTooth or USB keyboard? BT is not recognized until after start up.
>
Which other browsers are there for the Mac?
> Try using another Browser if you need larger fonts to use Yahoo web email.
>
TNX for replying.

Jim

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1g.

Re: Been   trying start up key shortcuts,  none works

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:59 pm (PDT)




On Apr 21, 2012, at 1:41 PM, OldTechie wrote:

> N.A.,
>
> No, a regular USB Mac keyboard. I tried using my KVM switched to the Mac, since that failed I plugged a Mac KBD plugged into the Mac USB port. It works fine when the Mac has already running, in fact both keyboards work then.
> I also tried removing the KVM USB cable from the Mac in case it was interfering, so dice.
> > None work? Are you using a BlueTooth or USB keyboard? BT is not recognized until after start up.
> >
> Which other browsers are there for the Mac?
> > Try using another Browser if you need larger fonts to use Yahoo web email.

KVMs often won't work until after the Mac is booted. Disconnect the KVM and try the other USB ports, if still nothing then try another USB KB.

Other browsers, FireFox, Chrome, iCab, and I am sure there are more.

Brent
2a.

Saving email attachments for archive purposes

Posted by: "Metaksa Tanya" tanya.metaksa@gmail.com   tmetaksa@att.net

Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:43 am (PDT)



I get emails everyday from this one person and I want to be able to save the attachment in another place for archival purposes. I have several years of these emails and want to go back through the old ones to save the attachments as well. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Tanya

2b.

Re: Saving email attachments for archive purposes

Posted by: "Alan Fry" ajf@afco.demon.co.uk   alanjohnfry

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:02 am (PDT)




On 21 Apr 2012, at 16:43, Metaksa Tanya wrote:

> I get emails everyday from this one person and I want to be able to save the attachment in another place for archival purposes. I have several years of these emails and want to go back through the old ones to save the attachments as well. Any suggestions?
>

I have an AppleScript which extracts attachments from selected emails into a specified location. If you can collect the relevant emails together in one (or more) folders this script will probably do what you want.

If you are comfortable with AppleScript I will be happy to send you a copy of the script (circa 33kB).

Alan Fry

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3.1.

Re: Resetting startup disk

Posted by: "Andrew Buc" andrewbuc@staxman.net   andrewbuc

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:48 am (PDT)



At some point I took this up with the author of SuperDuper, and when
he learned that my OWC external was relatively new, he said OWC has
changed suppliers, and their drives are no longer necessarily
bootable. If this is true, I'll be very disappointed with OWC.

When I spoke to OWC earlier, the support guy said I could send the
drive back, and they could look into it. I held off on doing this
because it would have left me without a backup drive. However, after
thinking about it, I've more or less decided to get a Wiebetech drive
dock and a couple of external drives--I'll be placing the order
sometime this coming week. Once I'm up and going with the dock, I'll
send this drive back to OWC.

4a.

Re: Samsung display - need better calibration

Posted by: "t.curtis" t.curtis.forums@gmail.com   tcurtis83

Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:28 pm (PDT)



I may be way off here from the original post. Please bear with me.
I recently purchased a Samsung monitor (TV) and was having great trouble with the picture connecting via HDMI.
I read somewhere to give the HDMI setting a name. Once I did that, I had a great picture.
Worked for me.

Thayne
Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB DDR3
Lion Mac OS X 10.7.3

On 18 Apr 2012, at 9:35 AM, Denver Dan wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> 2nd response.
>
> I don't know why the monitor would be looking pixelated.
>
> Check also the Spyder from ColorVision.
> <http://spyder.datacolor.com/> (Well, it used to be ColorVision I
> think)
>
> You may be very aware of the following info but just in case this is a
> newish topic . . . . .
>
> When you calibrate a computer monitor for use with printed output the
> result should be a darker and even a bit of a muddy looking picture on
> the monitor.
>
> The electronic RGB technology of a monitor can produce millions of
> colors, shades, and hues and in a great brightness.
>
> The CMYK technology of printing, color off set press, can only produce
> perhaps 5,000 colors, shades, and hues and that's on a good day with an
> experienced press operator who even takes account of the humidity, and
> of course type of paper, type of ink, and even the condition of the
> press.
>
> So doing a monitor calibration for print work means, so to speak,
> dumbing down the monitor to try to match the much smaller color space
> of print work so you see on the monitor a more accurate representation
> of what the printed result will be. To reduce nasty printing
> surprises!
>
> LaCie used to sell a large, expensive CRT monitor with a fold out light
> hood that fit on top of the monitor to reduce stray light reflecting
> off the screen and it even came with a neutral (50% gray) smock for the
> monitor user to wear to reduce reflection from clothing. I mention it
> just to indicate the complexity of the topic. :-)
>
> Denver Dan
>
>
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 19:12:50 +0000, klondike12345 wrote:
>> Any help would be appreciated in making this display look better, as
>> it's a little dark and pixelated now. - I feel like I'm only getting
>> 80% out of it - - THANKS
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

5a.

Re: Syncing Notes on iPod Touch?

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:05 pm (PDT)



>On Apr 20, 2012, at 1:37 PM, DaveC wrote:
>
>> I see that Notes sync is hiding under the tab for "Info".
>>
>> I think it's straightforward now.
>
>Did you get it working?
>
>But my reading of the article you quoted,
><http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4191>, says,
>
>"To sync Notes over the air you need one of the following devices
>with iOS 4 installed:
>
> € iPhone 3GS or later
> € iPod touch (3rd generation or later)
>
>But you say you have:
>
>iPod Touch first gen, iOS 3.1.3
>---
>iPhone 3Gs, iOS 5.0.1
>
>The first gen iPod Touch does not seen to have the needed iOS.

-=-=-=-

It's true. But sync via wifi is not the only option. Via USB is
another, and doesn't seem to have the strict iOS requirements.

But for some reason iTunes un-checks all the "Sync Notes" options I
check, once the syncing begins.

There is another possibility to sync Notes via a mail account, and
I'm currently exploring that avenue.

Dave

-=-=-=-

The "Mail" settings on the iPod Touch do not have a Sync Notes
option. This is due to iOS 3.1.3 (the latest version possible on the
iPod Touch gen 1. This feature can be found on iOS 4 & 5.

Stymied

Dave
I'm stumped how to get this Notes data onto the iPhone 3Gs.

6a.

Siri's location-based reminders

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:33 pm (PDT)



I've found some multi-page threads on Apple Support pages expressing exasperation from attempts to get these to work with the Reminders app in iOS 5.x and the iPhone 4S.

Here are a few conversations I've had with Siri:

Me: Remind me to... when I get to the Airport Club (my health club; I have a contact for this company in my iCloud contacts).

Siri: I found one item. It's fairly close to you (shows me the map, with a Pin at the Airport Club's address.

(so, what am I supposed to tell Siri now?) How do I actually create the reminder?)

On other occasions, I'll say exactly the same thing, e.g., "remind me to x when I get to the airport club."

Siri will respond "when would you like me to remind you?" or "I can't search near businesses."

Some threads on the Apple Support pages tell me to put "gym" in the "nickname" field for the business. I tried that, and Siri responded to the identical question "I don't see an address for your gym. Click your name to enter it" and the "My contact" contact opens. I don't want to add addresses for everywhere I go to my own contact to get this to work!

Other web posts say that it won't work unless the name of the business is entered in the firstname field in contacts.

Does anyone know where there's a comprehensive and understandable discussion of this issue?

Thanks,

--
Jim Robertson

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6b.

Re: Siri's location-based reminders

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:38 pm (PDT)



It has to be a contact to save the address and "geo fence" it - Siri learns
what is "home", "work", "gym", etc but you have to have the actual contact
with address in your contacts and the first time you say something like,
"remind me to call home when I get to work" you will have to assign "home"
and "work' to existing contacts. Also, using location based reminders
means the GPS is active 24/7 until all geo-location based reminders are
completed and drains the battery very rapidly. It does work but it takes
some time to "teach" Siri...

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 19:33, James Robertson <jamesrob@sonic.net> wrote:

> **
>
>
> I've found some multi-page threads on Apple Support pages expressing
> exasperation from attempts to get these to work with the Reminders app in
> iOS 5.x and the iPhone 4S.
>
> Here are a few conversations I've had with Siri:
>
> Me: Remind me to... when I get to the Airport Club (my health club; I have
> a contact for this company in my iCloud contacts).
>
> Siri: I found one item. It's fairly close to you (shows me the map, with a
> Pin at the Airport Club's address.
>
> (so, what am I supposed to tell Siri now?) How do I actually create the
> reminder?)
>
> On other occasions, I'll say exactly the same thing, e.g., "remind me to x
> when I get to the airport club."
>
> Siri will respond "when would you like me to remind you?" or "I can't
> search near businesses."
>
> Some threads on the Apple Support pages tell me to put "gym" in the
> "nickname" field for the business. I tried that, and Siri responded to the
> identical question "I don't see an address for your gym. Click your name to
> enter it" and the "My contact" contact opens. I don't want to add addresses
> for everywhere I go to my own contact to get this to work!
>
> Other web posts say that it won't work unless the name of the business is
> entered in the firstname field in contacts.
>
> Does anyone know where there's a comprehensive and understandable
> discussion of this issue?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Jim Robertson
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6c.

Re: Siri's location-based reminders

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:32 am (PDT)




On Apr 21, 2012, at 4:37 PM, Bill Boulware wrote:

> It has to be a contact to save the address and "geo fence" it - Siri learns
> what is "home", "work", "gym", etc but you have to have the actual contact
> with address in your contacts and the first time you say something like,
> "remind me to call home when I get to work" you will have to assign "home"
> and "work' to existing contacts. Also, using location based reminders
> means the GPS is active 24/7 until all geo-location based reminders are
> completed and drains the battery very rapidly. It does work but it takes
> some time to "teach" Siri...

Thanks for confirming that. I'm still confused, though:

How does Siri "learn" these things? What's the universe of "etc" places "she" can learn, and how do I facilitate that? One example I gave in my first question was Siri telling me she didn't have an address for my Gym, offering to add it for me, but instead of bringing up the contacts browser, bringing up my own contact as though I was supposed to add a "gym" address there.

Are you aware of detailed instructions for this anywhere?

Thanks so much,

--
Jim Robertson
__o
_-\<,_
(*)/ (*)
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
My other car is an S-Works Roubaix

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web