4/13/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8849

Mac Support Central

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Transferring e books from iPad to Computer

Posted by: "halboye18" hal.horwitz@comcast.net   halboye18

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:27 am (PDT)



My daughter has a bunch of ebooks on her iPad and I want to copy them to my MacBook ... When I connect her iPad to my computer I can copy them but not paste the files to my computer. Under Get Info ... it says files are locked.

Is there a way to do what I want?

I would be happy to take your suggestions off line

Thanks very much for your assistance,

hal

hal.horwitz@comcast.net

1b.

Re: Transferring e books from iPad to Computer

Posted by: "Paul Cartwright" paul@mactechservices.com   mactechservices

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:04 am (PDT)




Perhaps use dropbox?
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 13, 2012, at 6:27, "halboye18" <hal.horwitz@comcast.net> wrote:

> My daughter has a bunch of ebooks on her iPad and I want to copy them to my MacBook ... When I connect her iPad to my computer I can copy them but not paste the files to my computer. Under Get Info ... it says files are locked.
>
> Is there a way to do what I want?
>
> I would be happy to take your suggestions off line
>
> Thanks very much for your assistance,
>
> hal
>
> hal.horwitz@comcast.net
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1c.

Re: Transferring e books from iPad to Computer

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:08 am (PDT)




On Apr 13, 2012, at 6:27 AM, halboye18 wrote:

> My daughter has a bunch of ebooks on her iPad and I want to copy them to my MacBook ... When I connect her iPad to my computer I can copy them but not paste the files to my computer. Under Get Info ... it says files are locked.
>
> Is there a way to do what I want?
>
> I would be happy to take your suggestions off line

Leave it on the list, as others can learn from the answers, too.

Hal,

it depends on the ebooks, the format, the copy protection and where they were purchased or gotten from.

Give us this information so we can help you.

If they are ebooks that she purchased from Apple's iBook, they they can not be transferred to a Mac. Yeah, bummer.

If they are opened with Adobe Digital Editions, they may not be able to be read with any device with a different MAC number, machine access code number or unique identifier. This usually is used for text or reference books in my experience, but I have seen it on a book of fiction.

If it is a library book from Overdrive, there might be a way, but it would be easier to just check it out yourself.

You might be able to share an account for some readers, like Kindle or Nook, and read it on your Mac.

Some ebooks may be able to be transferred if you have the correct software on the Mac.

So as you can see, until you tell us more, there are too many variables for us to guess.

Brent
1d.

Re: Transferring e books from iPad to Computer

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:26 am (PDT)



Paul, I think the key is that they are locked.

On Apr 13, 2012, at 11:04 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:

>
> Perhaps use dropbox?
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 13, 2012, at 6:27, "halboye18" <hal.horwitz@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > My daughter has a bunch of ebooks on her iPad and I want to copy them to my MacBook ... When I connect her iPad to my computer I can copy them but not paste the files to my computer. Under Get Info ... it says files are locked.
> >
> > Is there a way to do what I want?

1e.

Re: Transferring e books from iPad to Computer

Posted by: "halboye18" hal.horwitz@comcast.net   halboye18

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:55 pm (PDT)



thanks, Brent ... It's a bummer, 'cause she bought them thru iTunes

hal
hal.horwitz@comcast.net

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@...> wrote:
>
>
> On Apr 13, 2012, at 6:27 AM, halboye18 wrote:
>
> > My daughter has a bunch of ebooks on her iPad and I want to copy them to my MacBook ... When I connect her iPad to my computer I can copy them but not paste the files to my computer. Under Get Info ... it says files are locked.
> >
> > Is there a way to do what I want?
> >
> > I would be happy to take your suggestions off line
>
> Leave it on the list, as others can learn from the answers, too.
>
>
>
> Hal,
>
> it depends on the ebooks, the format, the copy protection and where they were purchased or gotten from.
>
> Give us this information so we can help you.
>
> If they are ebooks that she purchased from Apple's iBook, they they can not be transferred to a Mac. Yeah, bummer.
>
> If they are opened with Adobe Digital Editions, they may not be able to be read with any device with a different MAC number, machine access code number or unique identifier. This usually is used for text or reference books in my experience, but I have seen it on a book of fiction.
>
> If it is a library book from Overdrive, there might be a way, but it would be easier to just check it out yourself.
>
> You might be able to share an account for some readers, like Kindle or Nook, and read it on your Mac.
>
> Some ebooks may be able to be transferred if you have the correct software on the Mac.
>
> So as you can see, until you tell us more, there are too many variables for us to guess.
>
> Brent
>

2a.

Re: Yet another dead drive!

Posted by: "Peter Gold" peter@knowhowpro.com   idmacguy

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:42 am (PDT)



I think it was a mailing from Small Dog 'way back where I read that
SuperDrives in pre-unibody models are prone to damage because picking them
up by a front corner bends the flexible chassis which deforms the drive's
case. It's possible the same can happen when picking up by the drive-side
corner. I have a bad SuperDrive now on my MBP early 2008, and I had one on
my G4 Titanium PowerBook just because of dumbly picking up by the
right-front corner and feeling great about the power of my thumb's ability
to leverage the whole thing!

Regards,

Peter
_______________________
Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2b.

Re: Yet another dead drive!

Posted by: "Dane Robison" macdane@mac.com   macdane1

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:49 pm (PDT)



Thanks for the input, Paul (and James, Tod, Jim, etc.).

I stopped at Best Buy to check on a few things yesterday and noticed they had one of the 15" MBPs on sale for $100 off. So right off the bat they're matching my academic discount. The guy was unusually forward about the fact that their 30-day return policy was completely no-questions-asked with no restocking fee, and he suggested giving it a test drive to see if I thought the upgrade was worth the substantial investment. If so, cool. If not, return it.

The icing on the cake was when I asked him to check on stock while I thought about it…he came back with an open box at an additional $150 discount. So that's what I bought.

Migrated my files this morning and now begins the long painful process of adapting to Lion -- why in the world is it soooo sloooooow? OS X 10.7.3, 2.66GHz core i7, 4GB RAM and darn near everything I do -- from opening a finder window to opening an email message to switching apps -- seems to come after a 1-3 second delay.

Nothing urgent to resolve as I have my hands full just relearning how to use a Mac…oh, and I've got to research how to prevent iCloud from splattering my stuff in places I don't anticipate while simultaneously NOT allowing me to do the things I found so useful in MobileMe (gallery, idisk).

Wish me luck!
Dane

On Apr 12, 2012, at 2:53 PM, paul smith wrote:

> Two things to consider:
> 1. Apple refurbs are literally "good as new" with regard to warranty coverage and condition when you get them.
> 2. There are strong indications that Apple is about to update the MacBook Pro, and multiple rumors that the new ones will be Air-like and available with 15-inch screens.
> --
> PSmith

3a.

Another term question

Posted by: "Jim" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   jimpurcell2001

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:49 am (PDT)



Experimenting with MV to actually move a file I want to move the file to a dir above the one I am in, which is new. is this correct 'mv /new/filename' [no quotes?

Jim

3b.

Re: Another term question

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:02 am (PDT)



> Experimenting with MV to actually move a file I want to move the file to a dir above the one I am in, which is new. is this correct 'mv /new/filename' [no quotes?
> Jim

Can I ask why you don't want to accomplish this simple task using the normal, standard graphical user interface?

Have you considered, since you seem to be in a terminal shell, type "man mv" ?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3c.

Re: Another term question

Posted by: "OldTechie" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   jimpurcell2001

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:28 am (PDT)



Jim,

> Can I ask why you don't want to accomplish this simple task using the normal, standard graphical user interface?
>
Since I am trying to learn Terminal, [asin Unix] I want to as much as I can using terminal.
> Have you considered, since you seem to be in a terminal shell, type "man mv" ?
>

I have tried using 'man' but the display in term is not very easy for me to read. Especially since letter spacing tends to be awkward even using monospace fonts. Actually I am not certain when a font is monospaced since they do not seem to be grouped that way when I am choosing a font.

I do 'cheat' sometimes and use the GUI, especially to do something I haven't learned to do in Term, mainly to save time and frustration,

TNX for your reply,

Jim

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3d.

Re: Another term question

Posted by: "Tim O'Donoghue" tjod@drizzle.net   timodonoghue

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:41 am (PDT)



Oldtech -

You can redirect the output to a file like so:

In Terminal, change to Desktop ort other convenient location, and pipe the screen to a text file:

e.g.

cuchalain:~ abc$ cd Desktop
cuchalain:Desktop abc$ man mv >mv.txt

Then look on the Desktop for mv.txt which will contain all the output.

Tim O

On Apr 13, 2012, at 9:28 AM, OldTechie wrote:

> Jim,
>
>> Can I ask why you don't want to accomplish this simple task using the normal, standard graphical user interface?
>>
> Since I am trying to learn Terminal, [asin Unix] I want to as much as I can using terminal.
>> Have you considered, since you seem to be in a terminal shell, type "man mv" ?
>>
>
> I have tried using 'man' but the display in term is not very easy for me to read. Especially since letter spacing tends to be awkward even using monospace fonts. Actually I am not certain when a font is monospaced since they do not seem to be grouped that way when I am choosing a font.
>
> I do 'cheat' sometimes and use the GUI, especially to do something I haven't learned to do in Term, mainly to save time and frustration,
>
>
> TNX for your reply,
>
> Jim
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

3e.

Re: Another term question

Posted by: "OldTechie" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   jimpurcell2001

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:56 am (PDT)



Tim,

I just started experimenting with redirecting the output of man mv.
I figured I could change the font of the resulting file. But even that is a chore. The caps were bright orange so I highlighted the whole doc and set the font and color. It is still a bit tricky to understand. Like most help files it seems to be a memory jogger, not written for anyone but those who 'already' know… more or less.

I have no idea what cuchlain:~ abc$ is. And given the fact that the slightest syntax error results in failure in Linux, Unix, MS DOS, etc. I will try to lumber along with the file that I created and will edit so that it is more legible [to me].

TNX for your reply,

Jim [AKA Old Techie]
> Oldtech -
> You can redirect the output to a file like so:
> In Terminal, change to Desktop ort other convenient location, and pipe the screen to a text file:
> e.g.
>
> cuchalain:~ abc$ cd Desktop
> cuchalain:Desktop abc$ man mv >mv.txt
>
> Then look on the Desktop for mv.txt which will contain all the output.
>
> Tim O
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3f.

Re: Another term question

Posted by: "Tim O'Donoghue" tjod@drizzle.net   timodonoghue

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:06 am (PDT)



The abc$ and cuchalain are specific to my machine

Try this (I omitted the standard prompts...)

Open Terminal

Type cd Desktop (and press Enter key)
Type man mv >mv.txt (and press Enter key)

A new file, mv.txt will appear on your Desktop. Open it.

On Apr 13, 2012, at 9:56 AM, OldTechie wrote:

> Tim,
>
> I just started experimenting with redirecting the output of man mv.
> I figured I could change the font of the resulting file. But even that is a chore. The caps were bright orange so I highlighted the whole doc and set the font and color. It is still a bit tricky to understand. Like most help files it seems to be a memory jogger, not written for anyone but those who 'already' know… more or less.
>
> I have no idea what cuchlain:~ abc$ is. And given the fact that the slightest syntax error results in failure in Linux, Unix, MS DOS, etc. I will try to lumber along with the file that I created and will edit so that it is more legible [to me].
>
> TNX for your reply,
>
> Jim [AKA Old Techie]
>> Oldtech -
>> You can redirect the output to a file like so:
>> In Terminal, change to Desktop ort other convenient location, and pipe the screen to a text file:
>> e.g.
>>
>> cuchalain:~ abc$ cd Desktop
>> cuchalain:Desktop abc$ man mv >mv.txt
>>
>> Then look on the Desktop for mv.txt which will contain all the output.
>>
>> Tim O
>>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3g.

Re: Another term question

Posted by: "OldTechie" oldtechie@wi.rr.com   jimpurcell2001

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:51 am (PDT)



Tim,

> CD Desktop (and press Enter key)
> Type man mv >mv.txt (and press Enter key)
> A new file, mv.txt will appear on your Desktop. Open it.

Yep, an empty one. I tried again and put a space after > but same result.
It did result in an abreviated [ two lines ] syntax list.

mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source target
mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source ... dir

Do include the brackets and the pipes? The list above is the synopsis in the full man page, which I have managed to edit so that it is legible.
But nothing explains explains the -n option except to say that it is non standard and should not be used in scripts.

TNX again,

Jim

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3h.

Re: Another term question

Posted by: "Tim O'Donoghue" tjod@drizzle.net   timodonoghue

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:56 am (PDT)



using man mv >mv.txt, I get a file on the desktop containing:

(not sure why there are some doubled characters, but I suspect it has to do with the ECHO setting in terminal...)

MV(1) BSD General Commands Manual MV(1)

NNAAMMEE
mmvv -- move files

SSYYNNOOPPSSIISS
mmvv [--ff | --ii | --nn] [--vv] _s_o_u_r_c_e _t_a_r_g_e_t
mmvv [--ff | --ii | --nn] [--vv] _s_o_u_r_c_e _._._. _d_i_r_e_c_t_o_r_y

DDEESSCCRRIIPPTTIIOONN
In its first form, the mmvv utility renames the file named by the _s_o_u_r_c_e
operand to the destination path named by the _t_a_r_g_e_t operand. This form
is assumed when the last operand does not name an already existing direc-
tory.

In its second form, mmvv moves each file named by a _s_o_u_r_c_e operand to a
destination file in the existing directory named by the _d_i_r_e_c_t_o_r_y oper-
and. The destination path for each operand is the pathname produced by
the concatenation of the last operand, a slash, and the final pathname
component of the named file.

The following options are available:

--ff Do not prompt for confirmation before overwriting the destination
path. (The --ff option overrides any previous --ii or --nn options.)

--ii Cause mmvv to write a prompt to standard error before moving a file
that would overwrite an existing file. If the response from the
standard input begins with the character `y' or `Y', the move is
attempted. (The --ii option overrides any previous --ff or --nn
options.)

--nn Do not overwrite an existing file. (The --nn option overrides any
previous --ff or --ii options.)

--vv Cause mmvv to be verbose, showing files after they are moved.

It is an error for either the _s_o_u_r_c_e operand or the destination path to
specify a directory unless both do.

If the destination path does not have a mode which permits writing, mmvv
prompts the user for confirmation as specified for the --ii option.

As the rename(2) call does not work across file systems, mmvv uses cp(1)
and rm(1) to accomplish the move. The effect is equivalent to:

rm -f destination_path && \
cp -pRP source_file destination && \
rm -rf source_file

DDIIAAGGNNOOSSTTIICCSS
The mmvv utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs.

The command "mv dir/afile dir" will abort with an error message.

LLEEGGAACCYY DDIIAAGGNNOOSSTTIICCSS
In legacy mode, the command "mv dir/afile dir" will fail silently,
returning an exit code of 0.

For more information about legacy mode, see compat(5).

SSEEEE AALLSSOO
cp(1), rm(1), symlink(7)

CCOOMMPPAATTIIBBIILLIITTYY
The --nn and --vv options are non-standard and their use in scripts is not
recommended.

The mmvv utility now supports HFS+ Finder and Extended Attributes and
resource forks. The mmvv utility will no longer strip resource forks off
of HFS files. For an alternative method, refer to cp(1).

SSTTAANNDDAARRDDSS
The mmvv utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compati-
ble.

HHIISSTTOORRYY
A mmvv command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX.

BSD July 9, 2002 BSD

On Apr 13, 2012, at 10:51 AM, OldTechie wrote:

> Tim,
>
>> CD Desktop (and press Enter key)
>> Type man mv >mv.txt (and press Enter key)
>> A new file, mv.txt will appear on your Desktop. Open it.
>
> Yep, an empty one. I tried again and put a space after > but same result.
> It did result in an abreviated [ two lines ] syntax list.
>
> mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source target
> mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source ... dir
>
> Do include the brackets and the pipes? The list above is the synopsis in the full man page, which I have managed to edit so that it is legible.
> But nothing explains explains the -n option except to say that it is non standard and should not be used in scripts.
>
> TNX again,
>
> Jim
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

4a.

Can't send MacMail emails w/ attachments with Javascript disabled by

Posted by: "anitaionanina" adm@anitamcclellan.com   anitaiona

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:23 am (PDT)



Anyone else find this happening? I just installed Noscript http://noscript.net/?ver=2.3.6 and ever since I have not been able to attach a document to my email messages.

4b.

Re: Can't send MacMail emails w/ attachments with Javascript disable

Posted by: "Jon Kreisler" jonkreisler@gmail.com   jonkreisler

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:45 am (PDT)



You want Java disabled. Javascript is usually OK to leave running.
Jon

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 1:23 PM, anitaionanina <adm@anitamcclellan.com>wrote:

> **
>
>
> Anyone else find this happening? I just installed Noscript
> http://noscript.net/?ver=2.3.6 and ever since I have not been able to
> attach a document to my email messages.
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Question for "old timers" re Clarisworks!

Posted by: "neelie" neeliec2000@yahoo.com   neeliec2000

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:37 am (PDT)



I still have a fair amount of older documents/files created by ClarisWorks from some years ago.

These are things I don't retrieve often, but when I do, the .cwk in the file name always opens "Keynote." I then get a message telling me that the document I'm trying to open is not a presentation. Well, I know it's not! :-)

First, why would the .cwk open Keynote?

Second, is there some way to do a mass edit to convert all the old docs created with ClarisWorks to Pages docs?

neelie

5b.

Re: Question for "old timers" re Clarisworks!

Posted by: "Barry Austern" barryaus@fuse.net   barryaus

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:54 am (PDT)



At 5:37 PM +0000 4/13/12, neelie wrote:

>
>
>I still have a fair amount of older documents/files created by
>ClarisWorks from some years ago.
>
>These are things I don't retrieve often, but when I do, the .cwk in
>the file name always opens "Keynote." I then get a message telling
>me that the document I'm trying to open is not a presentation. Well,
>I know it's not! :-)
>
>First, why would the .cwk open Keynote?

All it knows is that it is a .cwk file. ClarisWorks (or AppleWorks as
it was later called) has six modules. The presentation is one of
them, and the system does not know which one to open. You could
always open it from within the application you want it to use (such
as Pages) or drag it onto the icon for that program.

>
>Second, is there some way to do a mass edit to convert all the old
>docs created with ClarisWorks to Pages docs?

Yes. Do a get info on one of them (command-I is a handy way to do
that.) Choose "open with" and there is a box that then says "change
all."
--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

5c.

Re: Question for "old timers" re Clarisworks!

Posted by: "Keith Whaley" keith_w@dslextreme.com   keith9600

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:23 am (PDT)



Barry Austern wrote:
> At 5:37 PM +0000 4/13/12, neelie wrote:
>
> >
> >
> >I still have a fair amount of older documents/files created by
> >ClarisWorks from some years ago.
> >
> >These are things I don't retrieve often, but when I do, the .cwk in
> >the file name always opens "Keynote." I then get a message telling
> >me that the document I'm trying to open is not a presentation. Well,
> >I know it's not! :-)
> >
> >First, why would the .cwk open Keynote?

> All it knows is that it is a .cwk file. ClarisWorks (or AppleWorks as
> it was later called) has six modules. The presentation is one of
> them, and the system does not know which one to open. You could
> always open it from within the application you want it to use (such
> as Pages) or drag it onto the icon for that program.

> >Second, is there some way to do a mass edit to convert all the old
> >docs created with ClarisWorks to Pages docs?

> Yes. Do a get info on one of them (command-I is a handy way to do
> that.) Choose "open with" and there is a box that then says "change
> all."
> --
> Barry Austern

Okay, and what does one enter in the "Open With" slot?
Will Pages open ClarisWorks documents?

keith

5d.

Re: Question for "old timers" re Clarisworks!

Posted by: "John Engberg" mrbyte@earthlink.net   mrbyte

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:48 am (PDT)




On Apr 13, 2012, at 2:23 PM, Keith Whaley wrote:

> Barry Austern wrote:
>> At 5:37 PM +0000 4/13/12, neelie wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I still have a fair amount of older documents/files created by
>>> ClarisWorks from some years ago.
>>>
>>> These are things I don't retrieve often, but when I do, the .cwk in
>>> the file name always opens "Keynote." I then get a message telling
>>> me that the document I'm trying to open is not a presentation. Well,
>>> I know it's not! :-)
>>>
>>> First, why would the .cwk open Keynote?
>
>> All it knows is that it is a .cwk file. ClarisWorks (or AppleWorks as
>> it was later called) has six modules. The presentation is one of
>> them, and the system does not know which one to open. You could
>> always open it from within the application you want it to use (such
>> as Pages) or drag it onto the icon for that program.
>
>>> Second, is there some way to do a mass edit to convert all the old
>>> docs created with ClarisWorks to Pages docs?
>
>> Yes. Do a get info on one of them (command-I is a handy way to do
>> that.) Choose "open with" and there is a box that then says "change
>> all."
>> --
>> Barry Austern
>
> Okay, and what does one enter in the "Open With" slot?
> Will Pages open ClarisWorks documents?
>
> keith
>

Yes, indeed.

John Engberg

5e.

Re: Question for "old timers" re Clarisworks!

Posted by: "Jon Kreisler" jonkreisler@gmail.com   jonkreisler

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:09 pm (PDT)



Pages will open Claris/AppleWorks word processing documents. Numbers will
open Claris/Appleworks spreadsheets.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Keith Whaley <keith_w@dslextreme.com>wrote:

> **
>
>
>
> Okay, and what does one enter in the "Open With" slot?
> Will Pages open ClarisWorks documents?
>
> keith
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5f.

Re: Question for "old timers" re Clarisworks!

Posted by: "Barry Austern" barryaus@fuse.net   barryaus

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:46 pm (PDT)



At 11:23 AM -0700 4/13/12, Keith Whaley wrote:

>
>
>Barry Austern wrote:
>> At 5:37 PM +0000 4/13/12, neelie wrote:
> >
> > >
>> Yes. Do a get info on one of them (command-I is a handy way to do
>> that.) Choose "open with" and there is a box that then says "change
>> all."
>> --
>> Barry Austern
>
>Okay, and what does one enter in the "Open With" slot?
>Will Pages open ClarisWorks documents?

ClarisWorks (or later AppleWorks) has six modules. If you are
referring to the word processor part of the older program then the
answer is yes.
--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

6a.

iCloud

Posted by: "Mr X" x255075@gmail.com   x255075

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:53 am (PDT)



Hey guys:

I am looking on the internet but cannot find any explanations.

How do I move a file from my iMac to iCloud so I can use it on my iPad? I want to move some files created in Pages or Numbers so I can have access to them where ever I am on the the road.

Thanks,
Azim
7a.

Re: Mac mail sending from wrong email account

Posted by: "Paul Cartwright" paul@mactechservices.com   mactechservices

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:31 pm (PDT)



Look in the mail preferences for outgoing servers, make sure you have the correct server selected and then toggle the "only use this server" setting for each account

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 12, 2012, at 5:59, Tod Hopkins <hoplist@hillmanncarr.com> wrote:

> When you hit "reply" the email should automatically be "From" the account that received it. The pulldown to change this is at the bottom of the Compose mail dialog, right under subject. As far as I know, this behavior cannot be changed in any way. The only default you can set is the default account for a new composition.
>
> A reply should always be "From" the account that received the email to which you are replying. If you are certain this is not happening, there may be a bug, but I've never seen that.
>
> What is common is confusion about what account actually received the email is this is not necessary easy to see. For instance, my GMail mail is forwarded automatically to my POP account. If I hit "reply" in Mail while reading the forwarded mail, the reply will be "From" my POP account, not my GMail account. If I am reading the GMail copy (both appear in Mail), then it will be From the GMail account.
>
> If I want it to be From another account, I need to manually change the From setting when I compose the Mail.
>
> Cheers,
> tod
>
>
> On Apr 12, 2012, at 4:56 AM, oscarpoppyuk wrote:
>
>> I am hoping you good people can help me with this irritation.
>> I have 3 gmail accounts, 1 for everyday use, 1 for potential spam and 1 that I use solely for my World of Warcraft account (so it can't get picked up and hacked)
>>
>> Recently I received the offer of an update from one of my Kindle books but I obviously had to reply from the right email account. I hit reply and typed "yes" as requested (from the same, correct email account) but I got a reply to my WoW email address saying they didn't have an account with that email address so couldn't help.
>> I looked at the details under All Headers and Raw Source and there was no mention of this address.
>> My accounts are all imap and are listed in the order above. I cannot see how to tell mail to reply using the address I received a mail on nor can I set a default sending account.
>> I have no idea where this WoW email address got caught up in the reply, but now when my husband emails me on account number 1 my replies go out from account number 3.
>>
>> I hope this makes sense to you and I don't want to cut down these 3 addresses as that doesn't solve the mystery, but I know I am missing something obvious, I just can't find it. I would be okay with never sending from address number 3 (with the option to actually send from it if Blizzard need me to)
>>
>> Lyn
>>
>>
>
> Tod Hopkins
> Hillmann & Carr Inc.
> todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web