4/29/2012

[apple-iphone] Digest Number 2983

Messages In This Digest (12 Messages)

1.1.
Re: AT&T declares war on unlimited data users From: 9jou8y7yify uifuyi9879
2.1.
Re: iPhone battery From: MD
3a.
Re: aps for maps From: halfhoff
4a.
Re: New lap top From: N.A. Nada
4b.
Re: New lap top From: Sanjaya Kanoria
5.
Very Useful Gadgets for my iPhone and iPad From: Carl Brooks
6a.
update not accessable From: Robert Poland
6b.
Re: update not accessable From: N.A. Nada
6c.
Re: update not accessable From: Robert Poland
7a.
Re: Turn By Turn App? From: Andrew Davies
7b.
Re: Turn By Turn App? From: Carol Corley
8a.
Re: Synching iPhone 4S to my former Iphone 4? From: Andrew Piantanida

Messages

1.1.

Re: AT&T declares war on unlimited data users

Posted by: "9jou8y7yify uifuyi9879" hanafy_001000@yahoo.com   hanafy_001000

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:34 am (PDT)





________________________________
From: Donald <xlnt74@sbcglobal.net>
To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:22 PM
Subject: [apple-iphone] Re: AT&T declares war on unlimited data users


 

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "AnneL" <shadow484@...> wrote:
>
> > If unlimited users are getting this message, are throttled because
> > of congestion in their region....how does going to a tiered plan relieve
> > the
> > congestion?
>
> My understanding is that AT&T lets tiered plan users get higher up in data
> before they start throttling. For example, unlimited users have started
> getting throttled as early as 1.5G, but were apparently actually TOLD that
> if they switched to the 3G tiered plan instead, they wouldn't start getting
> throttled until they actually were approaching 3G. Again, just my
> understanding from a local news program.
>
> Anne
>

All that does is punish those still on the "Unlimided" data plan. It does nothing to reduce congestion!!

Just my $0.02 worth......

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2.1.

Re: iPhone battery

Posted by: "MD" mickeydoyle13@gmail.com   mdoyle13

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:34 am (PDT)



Not sure if the developer has any way of fixing it. The problem with the shortcuts to the settings is Apple disabled that ability in 5.1. Yet the developer is still selling a $0.99 app that promises something Apple will not let him deliver. Hence, a lot of angry customers. Why did Apple disable this shortcut trick? Maybe they have plans for their own app to do the same? Wish we could get it back though. It's much simpler to make one click to get to a commonly used setting than having to dive through the layers to get to it.

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, David Morganstein <drm0223@...> wrote:
>
> I can not use their suggested "URLs" to create short cuts to settings options. When I enter any of them, like the WiFi one, something sends a message that it is not a correct URL. I can create a shortcut to say a contact. Clicking it, however, doesn't dial the person immediately. A windows appears with their number and a 2nd click is required before the call is made, unlike using a Favorite.
>
> Hoping they 'fix' the use of the paths needed to create a short cut to settings.
>
>
> >
> > I was just checking this out in the app store and there are a lot of unhappy customers. It seems 5.1 did disable the ability to go to the settings with this. from the comments it seems that it worked perfectly before 5.1.
> >
> > --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, lwr32 <whiterabbit32@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes it works in iOS 5.1.
> > >
> > > 🐰 Alice
> > >
> > > On Apr 25, 2012, at 11:53 PM, "MD" <mickeydoyle13@> wrote:
> > >
> > > > Does this work in iOS 5.1? I thought Apple disabled the ability to make shortcuts with the latest OS update. Makes no sense why either. I have a folder with about 8-10 shortcuts that became disabled upon the update. I used the WiFi one quite often and a VPN one occasionally. I now have Bluetooth headphones that the shortcut would be preferable rather than navigating down 3-4 levels in settings to turn on and off.
> > > >
> > > > --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, lwr32 <whiterabbit32@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > Here is an app that might help. It allows you to create shortcuts to different things in your settings. Icon Project http://lifehacker.com/5859499/icon-project-creates-quick-ios-home-screen-shortcuts-to-contacts-settings-and-more
> > > > >
> > > > > I use it on my iPhone and iPad.
> > > > >
> > > > > 🐰 Alice
> > > > >
> > > > > On Apr 25, 2012, at 4:03 AM, Otto Nikolaus <otto.nikolaus@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > My 3GS is running iOS 5.1. I haven't noticed any obvious change in battery
> > > > > > life, but one thing that continues to drain the battery quite quickly, even
> > > > > > when I'm not using it, is 3G. I try to keep it OFF whenever I don't
> > > > > > actually need it, but this is a pain because it's 3 levels down in Settings
> > > > > > (unlike Wi-Fi, which is at the top level).
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Otto
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

3a.

Re: aps for maps

Posted by: "halfhoff" gerrysair@shaw.ca   halfhoff

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:34 am (PDT)



I love Tom Tom. I got it on sale. It provides voice turn by turn instructions. I live in Canada and recently went to Seattle I turned off my roaming and data function. It still worked fine.

Youneedamap is a storage pig but it gives you updated full maps of every city in the US (and Canada I think) so that you don't need to use data. It just uses GPS.

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, Brent <flapdoodle@...> wrote:
>
> It is hard to beat Google maps app that is preloaded on the iPhone.
> Sometimes I use Bing maps, mainly on the computer for their birdseye view.
> I have looked a Nokia maps but do not like them as well as Google maps.
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:29 PM, ttta62 <ttta62@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > what is the best aps to get good maps?
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

4a.

Re: New lap top

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:35 am (PDT)



All Sanjaya asked for was music, but it Sanjaya wants to move more then use PhoneView from eccam.com.

I use it mostly to save the phone call logs, but it will move most things from the iPhone to a Mac.

On Apr 26, 2012, at 11:48 PM, lwr32 wrote:

> Though I've never used Senuti, it looks like it will only let you move music. iRip will do everything on your device, just choose what you want it to do.
>
> 🐰 Alice
>
> On Apr 26, 2012, at 11:01 AM, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Look for an app called Senuti. It will move music off your iPhone and allow you to put it back into iTunes, in a case like yours.
> >
> > I had a similar problem once and that is what I used to save having to reload all that music.
> >
> > Note the name Senuti is iTunes spelled backwards, and that is what it does, it moves music in the other direction of iTunes.
> >
> > Brent
> >
> > On Apr 26, 2012, at 10:43 AM, Sanjaya Kanoria wrote:
> >
> > > What if the music is not a purchase but downloaded into the mac via a c d and thence to the iPhone. I've got a new mac and I want to use it. Will I lose all my music the moment I sync?
> > >
> > > On 26-Apr-2012, at 8:14 PM, "jrosen82" <jrosen82@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > > In iTunes, under the "File" menu, there is a selection near the bottom of the menu to transfer purchases from iPhone to iTunes.
> > > >
> > > > --- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "rstadin" <rstadin@...> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > I just purchased a new lap top as my old one crashed badly and has a bad keyboard. Now, all my music is on my iphone. If I try to sync it with my new computer I will lose everything. How do I get my music on it without having to start from scratch? Can I import a library?
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

4b.

Re: New lap top

Posted by: "Sanjaya Kanoria" wsbunter@gmail.com   zixxwr

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:35 am (PDT)



Wow this sounds neat! Will it work on a mac?

On 27-Apr-2012, at 4:19 PM, "Dave Skolnick" <dskolnick@gmail.com> wrote:

> For a few dollars you can get a case for the hard drive of your old laptop and plug it into a USB port on your new laptop. Drag and drop or import your old library to the new one and you are done.
>
> dave
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5.

Very Useful Gadgets for my iPhone and iPad

Posted by: "Carl Brooks" carl@iamthereforeipad.com   cwbrooks

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:35 am (PDT)



"Jeffrey" wrote: �I was looking at the Wahoo Fitness Run Pack and
thought that was pretty neat. Is this the best Fitness monitor out
there? What else is available that works well with the iPhone 4S? I
know there are tons for gadgets on the market for the iPhone. I know
of the "NEST" Thermostat, even IGRILL works with monitoring
temperatures on the grill as you cook. What else is out there pretty
cool?�

I love fact that so many companies make such great products that are
either specifically made for the Apple products or work well with
them. I have the Jawbone Jambox Bluetooth portable speaker that I
enjoy listening to my music and Podcast via Stitcher Radio. I use
this when I am at home or traveling. This things sounds nice and
fills the entire room and can be heard quite well as I go between
rooms getting ready. I often leave my iPhone on the charge and take
this from room to room instead. This is also great when I am watching
a movie with my kids or they are watching the iPad in the rear seat of
the car. They can hear the iPad content�s sound and we can enjoy the
radio in the front (typically my iPhone�s audio stream via Bluetooth
to my auto�s speakers. You probably can gather that I love Bluetooth
(Finally after many years of hating it).

I also have the LG Tone Wireless Bluetooth headset that I use for
phone calls, music and Podcast via Stitcher Radio while out and about.
These things last all day, I can usually persuade Siri to take care
of things without touching the phone (see is a stubborn assistant). I
can control all aspects of my phone call and even control the podcast,
music, movie or video playback. The ear buds snap into place to the
magnetic holders when not in use. They are light as a feather and I
don�t have to keep anything in my ear until I need one or two of the
ear buds. I don�t understand how people use the traditional Bluetooth
single ear piece or pretend that the Apple stock ear buds are great.
If anything needs a redo, the white Apple iPhone ear buds.

I hate to be without power, so I have a few portable backup battery
sources for my iPhone\iPad. I have the Sprint Travel Charger PLUS.
It has built-in plug thongs so it plugs directly into the wall. I can
charge the battery and the iPhone or iPhone Case at the same time. It
has a standard USB port that I can charge the iPhone or iPad with the
Apple cable. It also has a built-in Micro-USB cable that I can
recharge any device that has that type of port. It has a status button
that reveals how much power is stored in the device; how lights means
it is fully charge - four to one if it is almost empty and ready for a
charge. It has a 1800mAh Lithium Polymer Internal Battery.

I have two Mophie products. The first is an iPhone case that is also
a battery. It is called a mophie juice pack air� - iPhone 4 & 4S
Battery Case. It has a status button that reveals how much power is
stored in the device; how lights means it is fully charge - four to
one if it is almost empty and ready for a charge. It has an off\on
switch that allows you to choose when the recharge starts. You can
either let it use the case first and then use the iPhone's battery or
vice versa. The good thing is that it is always with the iPhone and
does not have to be carried separately. The bad thing is that it is
only has a 1500 mAh battery capacity.

Finally I have a Mophie Juice Pack Powerstation. It is about the size
of the iPhone. It has a 4000mAh external battery and charges the
iPhone 4s in about 2 hours. You can get two charges with this baby.
It also has a status button that reveals how much power is stored in
the device; four lights means it is fully charge - down to one if it
is almost empty and ready for a charge. It has a full USB port for
charging the iPhone\iPad. It has a Micro-USB port that is used to
charge the device. It comes with the Micro-USB cord, but not a power
brick to plug into the wall. You must charge with your PC or use the
adapter that came with your iPad or iPhone (or similar USB equipment
device, like my old Palm Pre adapter). The other wacky thing is that
cannot charge itself and another device at once; it is one or the
other.

As you can imagine, I am never without the ability to change my
gadgets. Mophie just enough a new Mophie Juice Pack Powerstation PRO
that packs 6000mAh and a real rugged case, but I have enough now. If
I didn't this one would have done the trick for me.

My AppleTV is a great accessory to my iPhone, iPad and my iMac. I
resisted this purchase, but finally gave in when AirPlay was release.
I use this to display my iOS content on the 50" HD TV or the bedroom
HD TV. It also gave my wife Netflix viewing ability in the bedroom
(away from our small children's ears and eyes - she loves Horror
movies). I jailbroke it and now can surf directly from my TV and can
watch and listen to any format (not just Apple's formats) on my TVs.

Kickstarter is such an addictive place to discover new gadgets to use
with your iPhone or iPad.
I love the CloudFTP device. It make ANY USB Storage Device Wireless!
The easiest way to share any USB data with Apple iPad, iPhone, & the
Cloud. Just connect and share with up to 3 iDevices at the same time.
I don�t have this yet, but I will a soon as my wife stops watching the
bank account like a hawk, LOL.

More info at http://www.hypershop.com/CloudFTP-p/cftp-black.htm

Currently I am a backer for the Pebble Watch and the Slingshot.
Neither of these are ready to be purchased, but I�ll get mine before
they are available to the public.

The Pebble is a new E-Paper wristwatch that will interact with my
iPhone. It's customizable, with downloadable watchfaces and useful
internet-connected apps. Pebble connects to iPhone and Android
smartphones using Bluetooth, alerting you with a silent vibration to
incoming calls, emails and messages.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android

The Slingshot is a stablizers and tripod for my iPhone. I take tons
of pictures and video with my iPhone. The SlingShot(tm) allows you to
shoot one-handed, turns into an instant table-top tripod, and allows
you to mount your phone on any tripod.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1651425602/slingshot-stabilizes-smartphone-video-and-more

What accessries you guys and gals love to use with your iOS devices.

Share this post and/or site with someone you know whom has an IPad or iPhone.

Thanks,

Carl Brooks
http://www.iamthereforeipad.com

6a.

update not accessable

Posted by: "Robert Poland" rpoland@usa.net   rpoland

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:35 am (PDT)



Hi,

In iTunes I see from the menu on the left that there is one app that I need to download.

However when I click on the "1 Update Available" nothing happens.

Any clues on what might be going on???

TIA,

Robert Poland
2.7 GHz Intel Core I5, 27� iMac
12 GB Ram, 1TB HD, OS 10.7.3
iPad 2, 32 GB, iOS 5.1

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6b.

Re: update not accessable

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:48 am (PDT)



What happen when you click on the iTunes store?

On Apr 27, 2012, at 8:33 PM, Robert Poland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In iTunes I see from the menu on the left that there is one app that I need to download.
>
> However when I click on the "1 Update Available" nothing happens.
>
> Any clues on what might be going on???
>
> TIA,
>
> Robert Poland
> 2.7 GHz Intel Core I5, 27� iMac
> 12 GB Ram, 1TB HD, OS 10.7.3
> iPad 2, 32 GB, iOS 5.1
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

6c.

Re: update not accessable

Posted by: "Robert Poland" rpoland@usa.net   rpoland

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:14 am (PDT)



Solved.

I was replacing tne glass on the iPad so it was turned off.

After getting it back together and turned on everything worked as it should.

Not sure why iTunes wouldn't do the download without the iPad.

On Apr 28, 2012, at 9:44 AM, N.A. Nada wrote:

> What happen when you click on the iTunes store?
>
>
> On Apr 27, 2012, at 8:33 PM, Robert Poland wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In iTunes I see from the menu on the left that there is one app that I need to download.
>>
>> However when I click on the "1 Update Available" nothing happens.
>>
>> Any clues on what might be going on???

7a.

Re: Turn By Turn App?

Posted by: "Andrew Davies" davies.andrew1@sky.com   anddav23

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:35 am (PDT)



Navfree is just about as close to Satnav on your phone without paying alot
for it

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Jeffrey <n9mxtham@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Just wondering what do you all recommend for the best turn by turn
> application on the market?
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7b.

Re: Turn By Turn App?

Posted by: "Carol Corley" floridabouvs@gmail.com   floridabouvs

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:35 am (PDT)



Mapquest has voice turn x turn, I just used it for the first time and it got me there.
Carol

Sent from my iPad

8a.

Re: Synching iPhone 4S to my former Iphone 4?

Posted by: "Andrew Piantanida" piantanida31@yahoo.com   piantanida31

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:53 am (PDT)



You know, I tried that, but iTunes told me the software on my new iPhone was outdated. So it made me update it, & now I have Andy-Siri. Am wondering if it is possible to switch it back to X-Man now? Any help is welcome!

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, archiegrapa@... wrote:
>
> When you first plugged your new 4S (Andy-Siri), you should have been presented with options to either setup as new or restore from a backup. If you choose the latter, then choose the backup from X-Man, Andy-Siri would look the same as X-Man.
> Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: "Andrew Piantanida" <piantanida31@...>
> Sender: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 22:47:59
> To: <apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com>
> Reply-To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [apple-iphone] Synching iPhone 4S to my former Iphone 4?
>
> I have done a synch on my iPhone 4S & updated the software, but now I wish to synch it with the settings on my former iPhone4.
> To put it simply, my iPhone 4 was nicknamed "X-Man" on iTunes.
> My iPhone 4S is nicknamed "Andy-Siri".
> How do synch my X-Man settings/photos/playlists for X-Man onto my new iPhone on iTunes?
>
> Thanks, -Andy P.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Y! Groups blog

the best source

for the latest

scoop on Groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Dog Zone

Connect w/others

who love dogs.

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Find support for

Mental illnesses

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web