4/26/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8872

Messages In This Digest (4 Messages)

Messages

1.1.

Re: What About this Reported Trojan?

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:55 pm (PDT)




On Apr 25, 2012, at 6:47 AM, Ian Gillis wrote:

> However I have to report that I did get the Flashback Trojan infection

Interesting. Out of about 20,000 users I've been in contact with,
you are only the third first-hand report I've had of an infection.

> - ClamXAV reported it and the last Apple Java Update 8 removed it. I
> realise that this isn't strictly a MacOS infection but a Sun
> vulnerability.
>
> https://github.com/jils/FlashbackChecker/wiki now gives me a clean
> bill of health.
>
> Looking back I think I was fooled by an Adobe Update message which
> looked authentic and I loaded without double checking, which is unlike
> me.

The version of Flashback that arrived via a bogus Flash update was a
true Trojan Horse and it is not the more recent version that took
advantage of a security hole in Java. I'm pretty sure that Apple's
Java update would not rid you of that version, since that version has
nothing to do with Java, but I can't tell you that with absolute
certainty.

> It reappeared briefly the other day, then disappeared - should I have
> an executable called "Ad

I think that if you run ClamXav, and it says that you have no
infection, that you are in good shape.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

2a.

Re: iMac doesn't automatically rejoin Wifi if on a standard or manag

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:34 am (PDT)



Can't *they* simply click on the AirPort icon, switch off AirPort, then
switch it back on, or this not available in a non-admin account?

Otto

On 26 April 2012 01:05, Jay Abraham <jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net> wrote:

> The kids don't get mad, we just have to go over and manually reconnect. I
> can understand the connection dropping occasionally as the signal
> attenuates for various reasons. What I don't understand is why the
> connection doesn't pick up automatically from the non administrative
> accounts.
>
> I think the problem is likely to be a preference file or something else
> like that but wanted to check if someone else had this particular problem.
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3a.

Re: Taking ATT iPhone 4s-es to France?

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:19 am (PDT)




On Apr 25, 2012, at 6:16 PM, Jay Abraham wrote:

> The data costs from e-mail and other apps are what really add up. I reset my phone when we were in London and forgot to change back to data roaming off and rang up over $150 in data charges over 8 hours.
>
> I would suggest 2 options.
>
> 1.) look at Orange or one of the other providers sites and see if they have coverage in the route you are looking to ride and then get their version of a Mii ( mobile wireless device). You pay for the data connection at the in-country rate and then hook both of your phones to it using Wi-Fi. You can then keep the phones in airplane mode with Wifi turned on. iMessage should work, your apps should work and you can make phone calls over Skype.
>
> 2) alternatively you can sign up for a Wifi plan like Boingo in the US that has good coverage in the areas of France you will be in. Will work like above but won't likely have coverage while biking. Should be a lot cheaper though.
>
> I haven't heard of anything like Dan suggest below.
>
> Jay
>

Thanks for your suggestions!

OUCH! ($150 data charges in 8 hours without even thinking much about it).

Connecting through a mobile wireless device sounds like a good idea.

The GPS issue has been discussed in this group and elsewhere in the past. As I understand it, there's a "real" GPS chip in the phone, but Apple has firmware in the phones that uses cell tower triangulation to "assist" the GPS in making a position fix when it's turned on (other GPS devices I use take much longer than my iPhone to "lock on" to the GPS system). I'm hoping to come up with a solution that will allow me to use my mapping application while we're bicycling, but I may decide it's actually cheaper to buy a dedicated GPS-capable bike computer!

Dan's "quotes" are what I was told at ATT yesterday, but for the $5 all you get is the $0.30/min voice discount, and for the data plans a fairly limited quota at pretty high cost.

--
Jim Robertson

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

Re: Seagate GoFlex Desk Thunderbolt Adapter & external HD case

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:26 am (PDT)



On 4/25/2012 9:22 PM, Denver Dan wrote:
> Howdy.
>
> A new product from Seagate.
>
> Seagate GoFlex Desk Thunderbolt Adapter
>
> The Storage Review item is a bit confusing about what this product
> does.
>
> <http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_goflex_desk_thunderbolt_adapter_review>
>
> I found a video from CNET TV that does a much better job showing what
> this device does and how you use it.
>
> <http://cnettv.cnet.com/seagate-goflex-desk-thunderbolt-adapter/9742-1_53-50121697.html>
>

Saw this podcast when it first came out. Believe I posted it here a
couple of weeks ago?
The device does look pretty impressive.

Harry

>

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web