4/24/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8868

Messages In This Digest (20 Messages)

1a.
Re: DVD won't work From: HAL9000
1b.
Re: DVD won't work From: neelie
1c.
Re: DVD won't work From: Tod Hopkins
2a.
Re: USB Wireless Problem From: Debbi McNeer
3a.
Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac From: Jim Hamm
3b.
Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac From: Keith Whaley
3c.
Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac From: Keith Whaley
3d.
Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac From: Keith Whaley
3e.
Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac From: N.A. Nada
3f.
Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac From: Jim Saklad
3g.
Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac From: Jim Saklad
3h.
Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac From: Daly Jessup
3i.
Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac From: Randy B. Singer
3j.
Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac From: Daly Jessup
3k.
Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac From: Randy B. Singer
4a.
Re: Syncing Notes on iPod Touch? From: DaveC
5.
Where did the files go? (iTunes) From: DaveC
6a.
Re: airbook From: Josephine Bacon
7.
App Store in the academic environment From: Advanced Web results
8a.
Re: What About this Reported Trojan? From: Randy B. Singer

Messages

1a.

Re: DVD won't work

Posted by: "HAL9000" jrswebhome@yahoo.com   jrswebhome

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:41 pm (PDT)



Googling, I see that one solution was to ARCHIVE the item from within iDVD. Does it work? jr

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "neelie" <neeliec2000@...> wrote:
>
> A few years ago (2007) I created and burned a DVD (using iDVD) on my iMac 24" (2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo). I don't recall what version OS I would have had on the iMac at that time, but I am currently using 10.6.8.
>
> In the time since, I had a hard drive failure and now have a 1TB HD - not sure if any of this makes any difference.
>
> I recently got the DVD out in preparation for taking it on a trip with me. When I inserted it in my drive to view it, I got this message:
>
> "File Not Writable - an error occurred while loading the project. This project seems to be write-protected and can't be opened."
>
> I went into "get info" and unlocked the file, tried again, and it still will not work.
>
> What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do to view this DVD on my computer?
>

1b.

Re: DVD won't work

Posted by: "neelie" neeliec2000@yahoo.com   neeliec2000

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:54 pm (PDT)



Hello Hal,

To tell you the truth, I have no idea what that means, but I will google it and see if I can figure how to go about trying that.

Thanks for the suggestion!

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "HAL9000" <jrswebhome@...> wrote:
>
> Googling, I see that one solution was to ARCHIVE the item from within iDVD. Does it work? jr
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "neelie" <neeliec2000@> wrote:
> >
> > A few years ago (2007) I created and burned a DVD (using iDVD) on my iMac 24" (2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo). I don't recall what version OS I would have had on the iMac at that time, but I am currently using 10.6.8.
> >
> > In the time since, I had a hard drive failure and now have a 1TB HD - not sure if any of this makes any difference.
> >
> > I recently got the DVD out in preparation for taking it on a trip with me. When I inserted it in my drive to view it, I got this message:
> >
> > "File Not Writable - an error occurred while loading the project. This project seems to be write-protected and can't be opened."
> >
> > I went into "get info" and unlocked the file, tried again, and it still will not work.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do to view this DVD on my computer?
> >
>

1c.

Re: DVD won't work

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:00 am (PDT)



You may be faced with a basic file ownership problem. This is why I HATE ownership in OS's. The old file may be "owned" by a user that no longer exists. Do "Get Info" on the file and down at the bottom, you'll see sharing and permissions. Click the "unlock" and enter an administrative user and password and you should be able to change this so that your current user is authorized to read and write. If you can't make the change, you made need to use Terminal and someone else will have to help with that one (or you can Google it).

Or it might be that the file is "locked" by another user. This is a more complicated problem. It means the file was not properly "closed" and released by iDVD the last time it was open. This is a bigger problem for which I don't have an easy solution. But what I would try is copying the files off the DVD. If you still can't open the copy, try copying to a FAT 32 (if smaller than 4GB) or ExFAT drive then copying back. With luck, this will force the file to lose track of both permissions and file locking.

Finally, it might just be corrupt and all the messages are simply misleading.

Cheers,
tod

On Apr 23, 2012, at 4:06 PM, neelie wrote:

> A few years ago (2007) I created and burned a DVD (using iDVD) on my iMac 24" (2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo). I don't recall what version OS I would have had on the iMac at that time, but I am currently using 10.6.8.
>
> In the time since, I had a hard drive failure and now have a 1TB HD - not sure if any of this makes any difference.
>
> I recently got the DVD out in preparation for taking it on a trip with me. When I inserted it in my drive to view it, I got this message:
>
> "File Not Writable - an error occurred while loading the project. This project seems to be write-protected and can't be opened."
>
> I went into "get info" and unlocked the file, tried again, and it still will not work.
>
> What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do to view this DVD on my computer?
>
>

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: USB Wireless Problem

Posted by: "Debbi McNeer" shrinkingknitter@gmail.com   wvdjyknits

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:45 pm (PDT)



I think I should probably open a tech support business. KIDDING! I ended up unplugging the modem and then plugging it back in, reinstalling the antenna drivers and saying a few magic words. After a couple frustrating hours, it's working again. I really am impressed with the product, but nearly all the reviews I've read have mentioned that support was less-than-perfect. Thank you for your reply N.A. Nada.

Debbi

3a.

Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac

Posted by: "Jim Hamm" machamm@gmail.com   jimhamm90

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:55 pm (PDT)



Take a look at this....Jim

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

3b.

Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac

Posted by: "Keith Whaley" keith_w@dslextreme.com   keith9600

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:06 pm (PDT)



Jay Abraham wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> You can just go to System Profiler, then look at Software:Applications.
> Look at column Kind - you can sort by that column. Any app that doesn't
> have Intel or Universal won't work on Lion and you will need to get the
> newer version to run on your new iMac.
>
> Jay

Fair enough.
Providing that's the only criteria...
I had gathered the opinion there was a little more to it than that. More
insidious...
Might be wrong.

In any case, eventually, I'll have little to no choice. I will have to
go to Lion and whatever cat's beyond that.I know that. Might as well get
to it. Sighhh.

I know. There are those who will say I can stay with 10.6.8 almost
literally forever. But even they know that's not really true. At some
point certain apps will simply not work, for whatever reason, and
they'll be forced to make a quantum jump to a new OS. No point in
arguing, is there.

Thanks for your pointers.

keith

3c.

Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac

Posted by: "Keith Whaley" keith_w@dslextreme.com   keith9600

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:25 pm (PDT)



Jay Abraham wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> You can just go to System Profiler, then look at Software:Applications.
> Look at column Kind - you can sort by that column. Any app that doesn't
> have Intel or Universal won't work on Lion and you will need to get the
> newer version to run on your new iMac.
>
> Jay
>
There's gotta be an easier way.
I went to print Profiler, and there were well over 180 pages of file. I
decided not to.

Observation number two, I tried to delete some of my really old files
that were "Classic" and Delete didn't work.

what do I have to do, find and enter each and every one of those
addresses and delete them by hand?

To say that's cumbersome is ridiculously simple.

As I said above, there's gotta be a better way. Surely Apple has not
hung users of older OS's (prior to 10.7.0) out to dry!

What shall I try next, please?

keith whaley

3d.

Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac

Posted by: "Keith Whaley" keith_w@dslextreme.com   keith9600

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:31 pm (PDT)



Jim Hamm wrote:
> Take a look at this....Jim
>
> http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

Most excellent! Many thanks for the informative list.
More than 28 pages of apps titles! Is it _really_ going to be that
difficult and time consuming to clean things up for the inauguration of
Lion?

keith

3e.

Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:11 pm (PDT)




On Apr 23, 2012, at 3:25 PM, Keith Whaley wrote:

> Jay Abraham wrote:
> > Hi Keith,
> >
> > You can just go to System Profiler, then look at Software:Applications.
> > Look at column Kind - you can sort by that column. Any app that doesn't
> > have Intel or Universal won't work on Lion and you will need to get the
> > newer version to run on your new iMac.
> >
> > Jay
> >
> There's gotta be an easier way.
> I went to print Profiler, and there were well over 180 pages of file. I
> decided not to.
>
> Observation number two, I tried to delete some of my really old files
> that were "Classic" and Delete didn't work.

The easier way. While in System Profiler, sort the list by Kind.

If you have 180 pages of just Applications under Software, I suggest you make a bootable clone of your drive, and then erase and do a clean install to your Mac HD, then upgrade to Lion. You're overdue for some serious house cleaning.

If you really don't like Lion, you can put the clone back on the drive. It also give you a way to access 10.6.8 if you don't replace all your critical software before moving to Lion. It will make it a little less overwhelming a change, also.

>
> what do I have to do, find and enter each and every one of those
> addresses and delete them by hand?
>
> To say that's cumbersome is ridiculously simple.

There are apps that will delete stubborn files, you just have to look for them. I use CanMan.
>
> As I said above, there's gotta be a better way. Surely Apple has not
> hung users of older OS's (prior to 10.7.0) out to dry!

Lion was released to the public in July of 2011, that is 8 months ago and it was announced almost a year before that. And in that time you never suspected you might someday have to move to Lion. So you never paid any attention.

Apple didn't hang anyone out to dry, but some people walked to the edge of a cliff, and the only thing holding them back was a rope (lack of planning) wrapped around their neck. If you want to stay with 10.6.8, that is fine. It should work perfectly well for years to come, but if you want all the new bells and whistles, then I would suggest they take the rope off their necks and using it to scale down the cliff.

Brent, aka the grumpy old fart

3f.

Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:18 pm (PDT)



>> Take a look at this....Jim
>> http://roaringapps.com/apps:table
>
> Most excellent! Many thanks for the informative list.
> More than 28 pages of apps titles! Is it _really_ going to be that difficult and time consuming to clean things up for the inauguration of Lion?
> keith

Keep in mind that all that will happen to apps that don't work under Lion is just that: they won't work. Or even start up.

They won't cause any other problems with the computer or with the OS, they just won't work.

You could eve leave them alone entirely, and ignore them. Or delete them only when you happen to run across one that doesn't work.

I would think it possible that an Automator script could be created that searched for such apps, and moved them all to the same directory for you, but I haven't a clue how to do that.

My own task was made easier by my habit of segregating all 3rd-party applications to a separate directory from the Apple applications.

That said, what I did was create a list of the non-Intel, non-Universal apps using System Information, edited it down to just name and path, and slogged through the list, deleting.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3g.

Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:26 pm (PDT)



>> There's gotta be an easier way.
>> I went to print Profiler, and there were well over 180 pages of file.
>> I decided not to.
>
> The easier way.
> While in System Profiler, sort the list by Kind.

Next, in the right pane, select all the ones you want to remove (or at least make a list of).

Then click in the BOTTOM pane, press <command><a> to select all of it, copy that, paste it into TextEdit.

This gives you a list with more information than you need just to find them, but it does give you name and path.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3h.

Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com   dalyjessup

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:03 pm (PDT)




On Apr 23, 2012, at 3:31 PM, Keith Whaley wrote:

> Jim Hamm wrote:
>> Take a look at this....Jim
>>
>> http://roaringapps.com/apps:table
>
>
> Most excellent! Many thanks for the informative list.
> More than 28 pages of apps titles! Is it _really_ going to be that
> difficult and time consuming to clean things up for the inauguration of
> Lion?

My goodness, what a load of "Attitude!"

Yes, you are going to have to do some work. We all do. In preparation for Lion, I found the applications that were Classic PowerPC and did the research to find out what could replace them, and slowly did the replacements, converted documents as needed, and deleted the defunct Classic and PowerPC applications.

There is no magic one-button solution.

But at least you could click the heading in the "Kind" column so the applications get sorted by kind, and so would group the PowerPC and Classic applications so you didn't have to look at your entire list of apps.

Then maybe you could do a Command-Shift-4 screen shot of the list of Classic and PPC applications, and begin your own preparation for Lion, using your printed screen shots as a "checklist" as you proceed.

Daly
3i.

Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:18 am (PDT)




On Apr 23, 2012, at 3:31 PM, Keith Whaley wrote:

> More than 28 pages of apps titles! Is it _really_ going to be that
> difficult and time consuming to clean things up for the
> inauguration of
> Lion?

You can check *all* of your applications simultaneously by opening
System Profiler (in the /Applications/Utilities folder; or in:
Apple menu --> About This Mac --> More Info)
click on the disclose triangle next to Software, choose Applications,
then click on the Kind column to sort by kind.

An application that has a Kind of "Universal" or "Intel" will most
likely run fine in Lion. Any application that is "Classic" or
"PowerPC" won't.

If you would like to generate a text file that lists all of the
PowerPC applications on your hard drive, complete with the path to
get to each of these applications, copy and paste this line into the
Terminal application (in your ~/Applications/Utlities folder), hit
return, and then be patient and let it run for a few minutes before
opening the text file that will instantly be generated on the desktop.

system_profiler SPApplicationsDataType | grep -A4 PowerPC > ~/Desktop/
Applications_Report.txt

Note that the lack of support for PowerPC applications means that
AppleWorks and Eudora, two much-loved (but discontinued and
unsupported) applications that many are clinging to, won't run in
10.7. It also means that Office v. X and Office 2004 won't run in
10.7. Nor will Quicken 2007.

If you use Quicken:
Quicken Mac 2007 OS X Lion compatible
$15
http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-software/quicken-2007-osx-
lion.jsp

PPCtoTrash 1.0
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40880/ppctotrash
Tells you which of your applications are PowerPC-only and thus will
not run under Lion.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

3j.

Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com   dalyjessup

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:46 am (PDT)




On Apr 24, 2012, at 5:18 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> If you would like to generate a text file that lists all of the
> PowerPC applications on your hard drive, complete with the path to
> get to each of these applications, copy and paste this line into the
> Terminal application (in your ~/Applications/Utlities folder), hit
> return, and then be patient and let it run for a few minutes before
> opening the text file that will instantly be generated on the desktop.

system_profiler SPApplicationsDataType | grep -A4 PowerPC > ~/Desktop/ Applications_Report.txt

Randy, I ran this command (eliminating the line break, of course) and got this message in Terminal, followed by the prompt:

SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for vers ID 1 (pBase = 0x7fd16232f1b0, p = 0x7fd16232f1e5, pEnd = 0x7fd16232f1e6)

SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for vers ID 1 (pBase = 0x7fd16237c6f0, p = 0x7fd16237c709, pEnd = 0x7fd16237c70a)

SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for DLOG ID 5025 (pBase = 0x7fd163c8c880, p = 0x7fd163c8c898, pEnd = 0x7fd163c8ca40)

CoreEndianFlipData: error -4940 returned for rsrc type DITL (id 134, length 125, native = no)
SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for vers ID 1 (pBase = 0x7fd163c85d60, p = 0x7fd163c85d8f, pEnd = 0x7fd163c85d90)

SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for vers ID 1 (pBase = 0x7fd163d30260, p = 0x7fd163d30295, pEnd = 0x7fd163d30296)

Do you have any idea what it is talking about and what the problem might be? This sounded like a really handy thing to know about, if it will work.

Daly
3k.

Re: 2007 iMac to 2012 iMac

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:50 am (PDT)




On Apr 24, 2012, at 5:46 AM, Daly Jessup wrote:

> Do you have any idea what it is talking about and what the problem
> might be?

Not a clue. Sorry.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

4a.

Re: Syncing Notes on iPod Touch?

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:30 pm (PDT)



Solved!

My goal is to get my Notes data from an iPod Touch (Gen 1, iOS 3.1.3)
onto na iPod 3Gs (iOS 5.0.1).

The problem was that iTunes refused to sync Notes data from my iPod
Touch (it kept un-checking the "Sync Notes" check-box).

Someone told me that sometimes using a different computer can solve
the problem.

Well, I tried using the same version of iTunes (10.6.1) under the
same version of OS X (10.6.8) and this time it synced.

I then connected the iPhone 3Gs and synced that from the Mac and the
Notes data is now all on the iPhone.

Live and learn...

Thanks for "listening".

Dave

5.

Where did the files go? (iTunes)

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:39 pm (PDT)



I wouldn't ask but I have no idea where they went.

I dragged a dozen .m4a audio files from Finder into the main iTunes
window. There appeared a small window with small progress bar and the
file name currently being copied. Each of the file names appeared in
the box as iTunes apparently worked its way through the list,
copying(?) them.

Then... nothing.

I do not see the files anywhere. I typed the names in the search
field in the upper right corner of the main window. No results.

I do not see them listed in alphabetical order. Nor if I list by date
(looking for today's date). They are not in any of the subfolders
(pod casts, etc.).

I trashed the 3 iTunes prefs files and restarted. No joy.

I trashed iTunes and installed a copy downloaded from Apple. No joy.

I rebooted and ran AppleJack (normally a weekly task). No joy.

I hope it's something simple...

Thanks,
Dave
--
2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 / 4 GB / 750 GB
OS X 10.6.8 (yes, Snow Leopard)
iTunes 10.6.1

6a.

Re: airbook

Posted by: "Josephine Bacon" bacon@langservice.com   baconandeggs_2001

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:56 am (PDT)



Would anyone happen to have a Mac airbook that they want to sell? We
need one urgently.

Josephine Bacon

7.

App Store in the academic environment

Posted by: "Advanced Web results" advancedwebresults@yahoo.co.uk   advancedwebresults

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:31 am (PDT)





At my College we're beginning to think about how best to go about buying Apps via the App Store for staff. The problem we have is primarily licensing - if we purchase some software and let the user install it on their College Mac via their own Apple ID, we won't own the license, and we'd have a problem if that member of staff left..... 

How do other Colleges/Universities handle this? Do you have College specific Apple IDs that you'd enter onto those machines when purchasing software? What about when the software needs to be updated?

Our Account Manager's solution is to go out and buy gift certificates and hand them to users :(

I'd love to hear your experiences.

Thanks,

Ian

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8a.

Re: What About this Reported Trojan?

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:08 am (PDT)




On Apr 23, 2012, at 6:13 AM, mpstupinski@snet.net wrote:

>
> DNS Changer can infect both Windows and Mac systems. Linux users
> are safe, as are those using iPhones, iPads, Android devices and
> other systems."
>
> I haven't heard a word about this one, and the dire warning
> surprises me. Any info that anyone here can share on this?

This Trojan Horse DNSChanger is also known as OSX.RSPlug.A, OSX/
Puper, and OSX/Jahlav-C.
It used to pose as a pop-up for a video codec that you could download
to view various pornographic websites while surfing the Web.

This trojan is protected against by the built-in anti-malware program
in Mac OS X 10.6 or later:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1142457/snowleopard_malware.html

There is a free tool that you can download that can detect this
Trojan, and if it is found it can clean it from your Mac:
http://macscan.securemac.com/files/DNSChangerRemovalTool.dmg

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web