4/30/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8882

Mac Support Central

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

1.
Snow Leopard for Free, with a catch of course From: Tod Hopkins
2a.
Re: PDF and  OCR From: Anna Larson
2b.
Re: PDF and  OCR From: Anna Larson
2c.
Re: PDF and  OCR From: Josephine Bacon
2d.
Re: PDF and  OCR From: Keith Whaley
2e.
Re: PDF and  OCR From: Joan B. Sax, Ph.D.
3a.
Re: Why can't I print this? From: Forrest Leedy
4a.
Re: MobileMe Replacement From: Jay Abraham
5a.
Re: Last Will program? From: Jay Abraham
6a.
Re: Old shows in iTunes format From: N.A. Nada
6b.
Re: Old shows in iTunes format From: Robert Buscaglia
6c.
Re: Old shows in iTunes format From: Terry Pogue
6d.
Re: Old shows in iTunes format From: Harry Flaxman
6e.
Re: Old shows in iTunes format From: Jim Saklad
7.
Apple might split?? From: Earle Jones
8.
Mac viruses? From: Louise Stewart
9a.
Re: Your privacy and the Cloud. From: Bekah
10a.
BSOD on Old G4 Tower From: Eric
10b.
Re: BSOD on Old G4 Tower From: N.A. Nada
10c.
Re: BSOD on Old G4 Tower solved From: Eric
10d.
Re: BSOD on Old G4 Tower From: Denver Dan
11a.
Re: Your Privacy and the Cloud #2 From: N.A. Nada
12.
Drive Format Question From: Tod Hopkins
13.
Cover Flow From: HAL9000
14a.
Re: Quick question From: Cherie Beauton

Messages

1.

Snow Leopard for Free, with a catch of course

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:43 am (PDT)



Well, sort of. For a limited time, Apple is offering the Snow Leopard upgrade to MobileMe users for free. This article has some details. Whether this will work for 10.4 users (Tiger), I don't know.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57416169-37/apple-gives-away-snow-leopard-to-boost-icloud-migration/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=MacFixIt

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: PDF and  OCR

Posted by: "Anna Larson" pix@maksimo.de   yovard@ymail.com

Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:59 am (PDT)




On 30.04.2012, at 02:40, Randy B. Singer wrote:

>
>
> The best OCR program for the Mac currently is:
>
> ABBYY FineReader Pro

If I'm right, then ABBYY FineReader Pro is the Windows version. The Mac version is called ABBYY FineReader Express.

http://www.scanstore.com/display_frame.asp?DisplayItem=22223&ShowURL=http%3A%2F%2Ffinereader%2Eabbyy%2Ecom%2Fprofessional&LastURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Escanstore%2Ecom%2FScanning%5FSoftware%2FOCR%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FITEM%5FID%3D22223

Seems to be "very crippled compared to the full fledged windows version" …

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32172/abbyy-finereader-express

I started with Readiris Pro 11.6. Did not like it; it was slow and inaccurate so I moved to ABBYY FineReader Express which was better. Now I mostly use OCRKit.

OCRKit

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33376/ocrkit

Anna

2b.

Re: PDF and  OCR

Posted by: "Anna Larson" pix@maksimo.de   yovard@ymail.com

Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:00 am (PDT)




On 30.04.2012, at 08:29, Josephine Bacon wrote:

> Are there any decent OCR programs (…) that support right-
> to-left languages?

The ABBYY FineReader (for Windows) supports both Hebrew and modern standard Arabic. I don't know about the Mac version.

http://finereader.abbyy.com/recognition_languages/

Anna

2c.

Re: PDF and  OCR

Posted by: "Josephine Bacon" bacon@langservice.com   baconandeggs_2001

Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:40 am (PDT)



Brilliant!

On 30 Apr 2012, at 13:59, Anna Larson wrote:

>
> On 30.04.2012, at 08:29, Josephine Bacon wrote:
>
>> Are there any decent OCR programs (…) that support right-
>> to-left languages?
>
> The ABBYY FineReader (for Windows) supports both Hebrew and modern
> standard Arabic. I don't know about the Mac version.
>
> http://finereader.abbyy.com/recognition_languages/
>
>
> Anna
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

2d.

Re: PDF and  OCR

Posted by: "Keith Whaley" keith_w@dslextreme.com   keith9600

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:12 am (PDT)



Randy B. Singer wrote:
>
> On Apr 29, 2012, at 11:29 PM, Josephine Bacon wrote:
>
> > Thanks, that's very useful Randy. Are there any decent OCR programs
> > for a)recent versions of the Mac
>
> ABBYY FineReader Pro $100
> http://www.abbyy.com/FineReader_for_Mac
>
> Note that ABBYY is the best of a field of applications that are not
> all that great. OmniPage Pro was by far the best for the Mac, and it
> is a shame that it was purchased by Caere/Nuance and then never
> updated again. I still maintain a Mac that runs OS X 10.4, in part
> because it runs OmniPage Pro perfectly and nothing else can touch
> OmniPage Pro.

I bought a copy of OmniPage Pro some years ago. and my need for it's
capability went away, so I didn't use it. I have kept it tho' because of
it's reputation.
I'm wondering if I might still be used with OS 10.6.8. I don't know who
else to ask...

Many thanks, keith whaley

2e.

Re: PDF and  OCR

Posted by: "Joan B. Sax, Ph.D." jsax@me.com   joan05061

Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:03 pm (PDT)



Thanks, Randy, for the tip about ABBYY. I did have the version that comes with my scanner and couldn't get it to do a thing. I will get the ABBYY FineReader Pro. The price is not prohibitive for a feature that I really need for productivity.

Joan in Vermont where I think, hope, suspect that spring may be on its way (no hard frosts for the next few days), touch wood and, just for good measure, tocca ferro (as they say in Italy where wood is more scarce).

3a.

Re: Why can't I print this?

Posted by: "Forrest Leedy" f.leedy@comcast.net   forrkazu

Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:25 am (PDT)



It is strange and somewhat confusing. One of my service companies (natural gas) does the same thing and I sometimes forget about it and end up having an argument with them about it until later when I accidentally find this disappearing bar. I never had problems in the past with this as any Adobe reader would print it off, but sometime in the last few years, some businesses are using this flavor of PDF or the PDF reader has change in the many upgrades that I have received which I personally do not understand and it only works the way I pointed out. I have only run across it in this one situation with my Natural Gas provider. However, I have to say, I don't run across that many PDF files that I have to open either.

Maybe somebody else on this list can explain this Adobe phenomenon. It definitely is a mystery to me that you can only print off using this method.

Forrest

On Apr 30, 2012, at 8:30 AM, James Robertson wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2012, at 8:10 AM, Forrest Leedy wrote:
>
>> This is a PDF file and I ran into the same problem as you did because I did not notice that the PDF program shows options at the bottom of the page. If you chose any other print other than this one, you will get a blank page. Run your curser down to the bottom of the page and see if that does not bring up the option menu. It will fade away if you do not keep it active.
>
> Thanks so much! That was exactly my problem. Curious that Safari handles some .pdf links like this and that other browsers apparently do not.
>
> Thanks to everyone else who suggested other ways to get a hard copy printout as well.
>
> (The ride was beautiful, by the way).
>
>
> --
> Jim Robertson
> __o
> _-\<,_
> (*)/ (*)
> ```````````````````````````````````````````````````````

4a.

Re: MobileMe Replacement

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:48 am (PDT)



Looks good Randy but I would quibble about a complete replacement. The feature I used the most was the MobileMe Gallery for which I can't find an adequate replacement - they don't mention Gallery support on their web-site.

I know the feature is available on other services but not as secure as MobileMe Gallery was. I used to share my pictures securely (password protected for different groups) through the Gallery - other services can't do that unless all people accessing are members of the service.

Jay

On Apr 29, 2012, at 10:31 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> If you have been using MobileMe for webpages, iDisk and some of the
> other features that are being curtailed or dropped, there is an
> article at MacWorld about a company that is putting together a full
> substitute for it you can find it here:
>
> http://www.macworld.com/article/1166565/
> macmate_offers_replacement_service_for_mobileme.html
>
> or
>
> http://macw.us/Ic7FoA
>
> I know some have talked about losing their iWeb sites, and asking
> about alternatives. Pricing looks good assuming it works well. The
> service is in beta, but they want people to know before they start
> piecing out their MobileMe stuff.
>
> MacMate
> http://www.macmate.me/
> $89 for the first 15 months.
>
> ___________________________________________
> Randy B. Singer
> Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
>
> Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
> http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
> ___________________________________________
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Re: Last Will program?

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:55 am (PDT)



We spent around $1500 - $2000 getting our wills, trusts and other ancillary (heath care power of attorney, etc) set up about 10 years ago in the Chicago area.

Jay
On Apr 28, 2012, at 11:07 AM, Jim Saklad wrote:

> > Most attorneys charge very reasonable fees for writing wills.
>
> Approximately what is a very reasonable fee for writing a will?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6a.

Re: Old shows in iTunes format

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:25 am (PDT)



Some of the popular classics like Bogart can be found in almost any format. Terry was looking for Shogun. That was not as popular. Try and find that in a format other than VHS and DVD.

So you found Bogart and I can find Buster Keaton's "The General" on youtube, that does not help Terry.

Most older titles are not available in downloadable format. Before the remakes, you could not find the original "The Thomas Crown Affair" or the original "Ocean's Eleven", in streaming or downloadable. And thankfully you still can not find the original of "You've Got Mail", even if you know the original name. (Made in 1940, it is probably the worst film Jimmy Steward has ever been in.)

I would love to find the book, "The R Document" by Irving Wallace in audio format. Great book, I highly recommend reading it, if you would like a scenario predicting the Patriot Act, twenty years early. There were only 2 or 3 printings of it, and those used to be very hard to track down. I would prefer it downloadable, but I am interested in obtaining it in any audio format. It is not available. I have looked and checked with a couple of publishers that have owned the rights in the past. It has never been published in audio format.

And counter to the point of Terry's question, besides being able to find older titles in downloadable format, which would you prefer to buy, a huge HD or individual DVDs? You lose a DVD and you lose one title, you lose a 1TB HD and you lose about 150 titles. And I kinda remember a couple of threads on failed HD around here.

I hear someone is thinking of renting movies from vending machines like Redbox, but on thumb-drives. Sounds like an interesting business plan. When the titles slow down, change the movie on the drive to a newer title. Change the license and reuse the physical media.

On Apr 30, 2012, at 3:01 AM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> On 4/29/2012 4:48 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:
> > Try Qwikster, I mean Netflix DVD service. I doubt you will ever find it on streaming.
> >
> > Why not just buy an external DVD player for your Mac. I know mine in my MBP is pick as all get out about home burned DVD.
> >
>
> Depends upon your definition of 'old'. I've been able to find most of
> Bogart's old stuff online, Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, etc. Depends
> upon where you look.
>
> Harry

6b.

Re: Old shows in iTunes format

Posted by: "Robert Buscaglia" rbuscag@yahoo.com   rbuscag

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:59 am (PDT)



The Jimmy Stewart movie is Shop Around the Corner which is why Meg Ryan refers to her bookstore in that way in the remake.

Bob

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 30, 2012, at 12:25 PM, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> Some of the popular classics like Bogart can be found in almost any format. Terry was looking for Shogun. That was not as popular. Try and find that in a format other than VHS and DVD.
>
> So you found Bogart and I can find Buster Keaton's "The General" on youtube, that does not help Terry.
>
> Most older titles are not available in downloadable format. Before the remakes, you could not find the original "The Thomas Crown Affair" or the original "Ocean's Eleven", in streaming or downloadable. And thankfully you still can not find the original of "You've Got Mail", even if you know the original name. (Made in 1940, it is probably the worst film Jimmy Steward has ever been in.)
>
> I would love to find the book, "The R Document" by Irving Wallace in audio format. Great book, I highly recommend reading it, if you would like a scenario predicting the Patriot Act, twenty years early. There were only 2 or 3 printings of it, and those used to be very hard to track down. I would prefer it downloadable, but I am interested in obtaining it in any audio format. It is not available. I have looked and checked with a couple of publishers that have owned the rights in the past. It has never been published in audio format.
>
> And counter to the point of Terry's question, besides being able to find older titles in downloadable format, which would you prefer to buy, a huge HD or individual DVDs? You lose a DVD and you lose one title, you lose a 1TB HD and you lose about 150 titles. And I kinda remember a couple of threads on failed HD around here.
>
> I hear someone is thinking of renting movies from vending machines like Redbox, but on thumb-drives. Sounds like an interesting business plan. When the titles slow down, change the movie on the drive to a newer title. Change the license and reuse the physical media.
>
> On Apr 30, 2012, at 3:01 AM, Harry Flaxman wrote:
>
> > On 4/29/2012 4:48 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:
> > > Try Qwikster, I mean Netflix DVD service. I doubt you will ever find it on streaming.
> > >
> > > Why not just buy an external DVD player for your Mac. I know mine in my MBP is pick as all get out about home burned DVD.
> > >
> >
> > Depends upon your definition of 'old'. I've been able to find most of
> > Bogart's old stuff online, Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, etc. Depends
> > upon where you look.
> >
> > Harry
>
>
>
>
> TODAY(Beta) ̢ۢ Powered by Yahoo!
> NBA player's historic performance
> Privacy Policy
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6c.

Re: Old shows in iTunes format

Posted by: "Terry Pogue" tpogue@comcast.net   terrypogue_2000

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:00 pm (PDT)



I have a couple if DVD burners but I don't think they play DVDs. I'll have to try.
Do you think that is the way computers are going? Sans DVD slots I mean. Maybe I'm worrying to much.
Terry

Sent from my iPadHD

On Apr 30, 2012, at 1:59 PM, Robert Buscaglia <rbuscag@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>>
>>>> Why not just buy an external DVD player for your Mac. I know mine in my MBP is pick as all get out about home

6d.

Re: Old shows in iTunes format

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:50 pm (PDT)



On 4/30/2012 1:25 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:
> Some of the popular classics like Bogart can be found in almost any
> format. Terry was looking for Shogun. That was not as popular. Try
> and find that in a format other than VHS and DVD.
>
//docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>

I believe I had the mini-series Shogun in file format at one point. It
starred Richard Chamberlain, right?

Can't recall where I got it right now though.

Harry

6e.

Re: Old shows in iTunes format

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:51 pm (PDT)



> I have a couple if DVD burners but I don't think they play DVDs.

I would be surprised if a DVD *burning* device was not capable also of DVD *reading*.

> Do you think that is the way computers are going? Sans DVD slots I mean. Maybe I'm worrying to much.
> Terry

DEFINITELY the way things are going.
What is NOT clear is *how fast*.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7.

Apple might split??

Posted by: "Earle Jones" earle.jones@comcast.net   earlejones501

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:37 am (PDT)



This is from yesterday's Barrons:

***
Barron̢۪s: Apple could join Dow index, would have to split shares
Posted: 29 Apr 2012 02:54 PM PDT
A new report from business weekly Barron̢۪s (via Reuters) claimed The Dow Jones Industrial Average stock index could potentially replace stocks from Alcoa, Bank of America, or Hewlett-Packard with Apple or Google. There̢۪s no exact timeframe for the overhaul of the Dow index, but Barron̢۪s said Apple would have to split its shares to guarantee a spot.Reuters explained getting Apple would be difficult because the Dow weighs the absolute price of shares:

Apple, whose shares on Friday closed at $603, would overwhelm the index with a 26 percent weighting. That is double the influence of current Dow component IBM, whose $207 stock price gives it a 12 percent weighting in the index, Barron̢۪s said.

Barron̢۪s said the heavy weighting that Apple would command at its current share price could prove a barrier to becoming a Dow component. To guarantee a Dow spot, Barron̢۪s said, Apple would have to split its shares by five-for-one or 10-to-one. But Barron̢۪s noted that Apple has not split its stock since 2005.
***

earle
*
_______________________
Earle Jones 
501 Portola Road #8008
Portola Valley CA 94028
Home: 650-424-4362
Cell: 650-269-0035
earle.jones@comcast.net

8.

Mac viruses?

Posted by: "Louise Stewart" veggie236@earthlink.net   pudgybulldog

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:54 am (PDT)



I heard something on the radio about a Mac virus then went to the site of the man who spoke of it, www.clarkhoward.com, and found this as a site where we can test for one ourselves. But I'm afraid to try it in case this site would GIVE me the virus. https://github.com/jils/FlashbackChecker/wiki What can you tell me about this? Should I test for a virus, and if so, what's the best way to do that? Keep in mind that I am NOT very technical at all, so speak slowly and use small words. :-))

Louise

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

9a.

Re: Your privacy and the Cloud.

Posted by: "Bekah" bekah0176@sbcglobal.net   bekalex

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:37 pm (PDT)



This is a direct link to a tinyurl page (on the tiny site) which shows how to set up a "preview" page. I do this. When I click on a tiny url redirect link I get to this page which shows where the tiny goes to.

http://tinyurl.com/preview.php

So Ardell's tiny link:
http://tinyurl.com/7cb5l77
goes to
http://tinyurl.com/preview.php?num=7cb5l77

where I see the long address of where the link goes.

It's quite helpful in times of doubt.

Bekah

On Apr 29, 2012, at 11:04 AM, OBrien wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 13:02:52 -0500, OBrien wrote:
>> I prefer full URLs, too...don't like Tiny URLs...too opaque.
>
> Placing a < with no space at the beginning, and a > with no space at the end of a URL will often keep it from breaking. If it +does+ break, it's easy to re-assemble it.
>
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
>
> O'Brien ––– –... .-. .. . -.
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

10a.

BSOD on Old G4 Tower

Posted by: "Eric" emanmb@yahoo.com   emanmb

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:50 pm (PDT)



Of course just before I dump this G4 and finish off some OS 9 work which will never be needed by me again ever hopefully, my G4 starts up with the chime but the screen remains black. Running 10.4.11.
I've cleaned off the contacts of the monitor and keyboard as the thing was dusty.
Upon startup I've tried to zap the pram w/no success. No multiple chimes.
I've inserted 10.4 intall DVD and I don't hear the disk spinning up.
Tried booting to the DVD holding down the C key w/no luck and no noise from the dvd drive.

I'll reseat the video card next but was wondering, since the boot drive is backed up to an external FW drive, is there a way to tell the machine to boot to that?

That is despite the fact that it seems to be ignoring my keyboard commands for the PrAM and booting to dvd.

This issue came about on a machine that was working just fine until I had to disconnect everything to sell the desk it was sitting on. Fortunately the Mac Pro is none the worse for wear after the tear down!

Eric

10b.

Re: BSOD on Old G4 Tower

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:01 pm (PDT)



Try reseating the RAM and the graphic card if possible?

You need to hold the keys down before the chime before the chime if resetting the PRAM.

Have you tried another monitor?

Just going down a couple more basics.

On Apr 30, 2012, at 1:50 PM, Eric wrote:

> Of course just before I dump this G4 and finish off some OS 9 work which will never be needed by me again ever hopefully, my G4 starts up with the chime but the screen remains black. Running 10.4.11.
> I've cleaned off the contacts of the monitor and keyboard as the thing was dusty.
> Upon startup I've tried to zap the pram w/no success. No multiple chimes.
> I've inserted 10.4 intall DVD and I don't hear the disk spinning up.
> Tried booting to the DVD holding down the C key w/no luck and no noise from the dvd drive.
>
> I'll reseat the video card next but was wondering, since the boot drive is backed up to an external FW drive, is there a way to tell the machine to boot to that?
>
> That is despite the fact that it seems to be ignoring my keyboard commands for the PrAM and booting to dvd.
>
> This issue came about on a machine that was working just fine until I had to disconnect everything to sell the desk it was sitting on. Fortunately the Mac Pro is none the worse for wear after the tear down!

10c.

Re: BSOD on Old G4 Tower solved

Posted by: "Eric" emanmb@yahoo.com   emanmb

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:08 pm (PDT)



Thanks, that what I did previously with the PRAM but after reseating the USB card for the keyboard and AGP card for the monitor, all is well. The reseating of the cards or voodoo cured it.
It's a sure sign in any case that it's time to pull the drives and recycle the carcass SOON.
Eric

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@...> wrote:
>
> Try reseating the RAM and the graphic card if possible?
>
> You need to hold the keys down before the chime before the chime if resetting the PRAM.
>
> Have you tried another monitor?
>
> Just going down a couple more basics.

10d.

Re: BSOD on Old G4 Tower

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:33 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

You may have a depleted on board battery on the G4.

Some Macs with a depleted battery will boot but show a blank screen.

A trick that can sometimes work is to do a standard cold boot and after
things get up and running (it's assumed) even with a blank screen, you
can do a restart (not a shutdown but a restart).

I don't recall the Mac OS 9 keyboard restart command but it might be
Command Control Eject.

If you do have a Mac OS 9 machine with an exhausted battery, after
getting it to boot, check Date and Time and mouse tracking to see if
they need to be reset to correct settings.

Denver Dan

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 20:50:40 +0000, Eric wrote:
> Of course just before I dump this G4 and finish off some OS 9 work
> which will never be needed by me again ever hopefully, my G4 starts
> up with the chime but the screen remains black. Running 10.4.11.
> I've cleaned off the contacts of the monitor and keyboard as the
> thing was dusty.
> Upon startup I've tried to zap the pram w/no success. No multiple chimes.
> I've inserted 10.4 intall DVD and I don't hear the disk spinning up.
> Tried booting to the DVD holding down the C key w/no luck and no
> noise from the dvd drive.
>
> I'll reseat the video card next but was wondering, since the boot
> drive is backed up to an external FW drive, is there a way to tell
> the machine to boot to that?
>
> That is despite the fact that it seems to be ignoring my keyboard
> commands for the PrAM and booting to dvd.
>
> This issue came about on a machine that was working just fine until I
> had to disconnect everything to sell the desk it was sitting on.
> Fortunately the Mac Pro is none the worse for wear after the tear
> down!
>
> Eric

11a.

Re: Your Privacy and the Cloud #2

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:11 pm (PDT)



Yes, but why?

And I do occasionally verify them, when I am curious, but again why? Be polite to your readers, don't use tiny URLs.

As a great American, former Vice President Spiro T. Agnew, (giggle) once said, "Eschew obfuscation!" (Loosely translated as avoid confusion, or the dark and hidden.)

Brent

On Apr 30, 2012, at 3:02 AM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> On 4/29/2012 7:11 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:
> > Since they are not human readable, and too many people use them, sometimes to directing people to bad sites. I want to be able to read the URL and then if I decide I want to type it or a portion of it into the address bar or search field, I can.
> >
> >
>
> It IS possible to verify the tinyURL prior to navigating there, however.
>
> Harry
>
>

12.

Drive Format Question

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:26 pm (PDT)



So I'm shifting a lot of drives to the ExFAT file system for cross platform compatibility. I've run into a small hitch and wondering if anyone has more insight. Good info on using ExFAT cross platform is scarce.

Here's my... puzzle?

It appears that an ExFAT partition using GUID (made by OSX 10.6) is not recognized by Windows 7. An ExFAT partition using MBR seems to work fine on both Win7 and Mac.

This surprises me because I thought Windows had switched from MBR to GUID with Windows 7 (or maybe before).

I also thought that I had used ExFAT with GUID with Win 7 successfully, so I'm wondering if something might have changed or this was just an oversight on my part.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

13.

Cover Flow

Posted by: "HAL9000" jrswebhome@yahoo.com   jrswebhome

Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:40 pm (PDT)



I posted this at Apple Forums and no one seems to be able to explain.

Through iTunes 10.6.1 (7) on my 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac I trashed all movies and music on my iPhone4. Then manually reloaded one by one, to my iPhone 4/5.1. On the iPhone in Cover Flow, I cannot get all the covers to load their cover artwork. Is this an issue of TIME to allow the iPhone4 to locate and display album covers? It's been over 24 hours.

I tried shutting down the iPhone4 completely, then restarting. Still missing covers.

Anyone know why the cover art is not returning?

John R

14a.

Re: Quick question

Posted by: "Cherie Beauton" apple_mac_icat@yahoo.com   apple_mac_icat

Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:03 pm (PDT)





Thanks everyone.
 
Yes, I'm just going to purchase the wifi card for the G4 tower. It was just a thought, since I have the extra airport card.
 
New hobby here: Making Frankenputers out of old Windows boxes, and refurbishing old Macs.

________________________________
From: Michael P. Stupinski <mpstupinski@snet.net>
To: macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2012 10:17 PM
Subject: Re: [macsupport] Quick question

Why not go to eBay and try to get the right card for the MDD G4?  I 
did that for my daughter's MDD G4 several years ago and it worked out 
fine.

.......Mike

On Apr 29, 2012, at 4:44 PM, Cherie Beauton wrote:

> Thanks. I think I'll just connect it and give it a try. Not for 
> resale. Just want to make the old G4 wireless if possible. 
> Attempting to break ties with expensive DSL provider.
>
> On Apr 29, 2012, at 4:03 PM, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I haven't tried it, Jon, but isn't the difference going to be 
>> whether or not it has a case or just a raw circuit board? And 
>> whether or not the is room if it fits the connector?
>>
>> They are both about the same age, so they would have the same level 
>> of WiFi performance. Where the laptop probably had a raw board and 
>> unlikely, but maybe a carrier board, the Desktop probably had one 
>> in a case for user installation.
>>
>> If you are using it for yourself and you don't mind taking a minor 
>> risk, i'd try it. If you are planning on selling it or charging for 
>> the repair, I wouldn't.
>>
>> I have taken apart a couple of Airport Base Stations and pulled a 
>> few cards from older Apple Desktops and have found all kinds of 
>> configurations, including a Lucient branded WaveLAN card.
>>
>> Brent
>>
>>
>> On Apr 29, 2012, at 11:42 AM, Jon Kreisler wrote:
>>
>>> The search terms you need to use are "Mac service parts"
>>> The iBook G4 uses an intermal airport card, part # 661-3692, while 
>>> the
>>> mirror-door G4 has an AirPort card slot, for the Apple accessory 
>>> AirPort
>>> Card, M7600LL/C. These are two different cards, sorry.
>>>
>>> Jon
>>>
>>> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Cherie Beauton <apple_mac_icat@yahoo.com
>>> >wrote:
>>>
>>>> **
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> In the interest of saving time, can an old iBook airport card be
>>>> configured to use in an old G4 mirrored doors tower?
>>>>
>>>> Sort of rebuilding old Macs here. Google the ?, but didn't find 
>>>> an answer.
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Group FAQ:
>> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>>
>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

------------------------------------

Group FAQ:
<http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>

Yahoo! Groups Links

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web