3/09/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8779

Messages In This Digest (21 Messages)

1a.
Re: Disk From: Oneal Neumann
2a.
Re: Mail saving too many duplicates. From: Oneal Neumann
3.1.
Re: Google privacy: should we be worried? From: Oneal Neumann
3.2.
Re: Google privacy: should we be worried? From: Tod Hopkins
4a.
Re: XiphQT From: Oneal Neumann
4b.
Re: XiphQT From: Harry Flaxman
4c.
Re: XiphQT From: Otto Nikolaus
5a.
Free banking software for Lion? From: halboye18
5b.
Re: Free banking software for Lion? From: N.A. Nada
5c.
Re: Free banking software for Lion? From: Gijzette Strickland
5d.
Re: Free banking software for Lion? From: Daly Jessup
5e.
Re: Free banking software for Lion? From: Bob Cook
5f.
Re: Free banking software for Lion? From: N.A. Nada
5g.
Re: Free banking software for Lion? From: Randy B. Singer
6.
tracking internet data usage From: N.A. Nada
7.
Excel/Word for Mac 2008 Question From: Guy Kudlemyer
8a.
Ghostery From: us2forever
9a.
Quicken Info From: pat412255
9b.
Re: Quicken Info (X-POSTED) From: Rob Frankel
9c.
Re: Quicken Info (X-POSTED) From: Daly Jessup
10.
Bug in iTunes 10.6 From: Larson

Messages

1a.

Re: Disk

Posted by: "Oneal Neumann" wardell.h.s@gmail.com   newalander

Thu Mar 8, 2012 8:37 am (PST)




> On 2012 February 29 (at 12:21) Advanced Web results wrote:
>
>> From: Harry Flaxman <harry.flaxman@me.com>
>> To: macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com
>> Sent: Wednesday, 29 February 2012, 17:02
>>
>> It's a good idea to consider a larger external drive in addition to your
>> existing internal drive. I use a chain of external Firewire drives
>> along with an internal 500gb drive. I don't care to lose all of my
>> data in one fell swoop.
>>
>> It seems to be safe practice for me to keep my system drive on the
>> smaller size and store media and data externally.
>>
>> I think if you look back through the threads, there was an extensive
>> discussion of this not too long ago.
>>
>> I mean, how much data do you want to lose at one time?
>
> Well, I work in multiple locations so I need access to my data during the day without having to lug an external disk around :-)
>
> When I return home I have a large external drive that I make Time Machine backups to. Andy

I carry my 17" ProBook with me all the time in my backpack. Don't need no iPad.

At home I hook up (amongst others) a couple of portable external drives for backup. One of them, a 1 TB Western Digital, is about the size of my wallet.

If you need backup assurance, Andy, then carry a portable with you. Should not be much of a hindrance, certainly not a 'lug'.

Harry's point about backing up to more than one drive is well-taken. You might consider a second backup at home.

I've accumulated four backup drives, all of which I use to some extent. I have Time Machine backing up to two Western Digitals. My two LaCies do specialized duty. The portable one contains a SuperDuper! clone of my startup drive. The other has movies and stuff on it.

The two portables will travel with me to Europe. Oneal

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: Mail saving too many duplicates.

Posted by: "Oneal Neumann" wardell.h.s@gmail.com   newalander

Thu Mar 8, 2012 8:37 am (PST)




> On 2012 February 29 (at 20:33) Denver Dan wrote:
>
> Apple's Mail program has a preference setting to save sent messages.
>
> See Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox Behaviors.
>
> Check the Sent section for the check box.
>
> You may want to use your browser and login to your Google Gmail
> online, then check the gear symbol and settings and then Forwarding
> and POP/IMAP settings.
>
> I also log in to Gmail online about once a week and just go through
> the Sent, Junk and Trash folders and delete stuff manually. It's a
> good idea to check the junk-filter actions in Gmail occasional and
> do it manually to be sure something isn't being junk tagged that
> you want to receive. Denver Dan
>
>> On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 16:32:23 +0000, fussyoldfart wrote:
>> > This seems a simple problem but I don't know how to solve it.
>>
>> > I have my Gmail set up to forward automatically to Mail in OS X. As
>> > a result I need to look only one place for my messages but --it seems
>> > to save a version of each message I compose too often! I want only
>> > the completed/sent message but I get another copy every couple of
>> > lines or words if I am distracted while writing. I am then obliged
>> > to go into Mail and delete all but the last one.
>>
>> > I don't know if this is a Mail problem or if it is caused by gmail.
>> > Does anyone else have this problem?
>>
>> > Darrell McDonald
>>

Your advice only pertains to actions being done in Mail, Dan. From the sounds of this, the problem that Darrell has is of Gmail's making.

My Gmail accounts all funnel to Mail when I click the Get Mail button on Message Viewer's toolbar. I never compose in Gmail, so I am not aware of Gmail's intricacies.

The advice about checking Gmail's junk folder is a good one. I recall that I (quite by chance) found a legit email that had been sent to me by a person who was emailing me for the first time. Her very proper email ended up, for some reason, in Gmail's junk pile.

It was a total fluke that I found that particular email.

I often wonder how many other legitimate emails have been deepsixed by Gmail over the months and years because I have not regularly (read: almost not at all) checked my Gmail-account homepages for misdirections. Possibly more than zero.

Oneal

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3.1.

Re: Google privacy: should we be worried?

Posted by: "Oneal Neumann" wardell.h.s@gmail.com   newalander

Thu Mar 8, 2012 8:37 am (PST)




On 2012 March 4 (at 13:26) Tod Hopkins wrote:

... ... ...

... ... ...

In addition, the new 'privacy' policy has been simplified dramatically. The most significant 'simplification' is that it no longer excludes much behavior other than the distribution of 'personal information'. It does not say they WILL use such personal info (such as the content of your Google Docs) but it also clearly does not say that they will not. In other words, there are few limits on what Google can do 'internally' with any data you entrust to their system.

http://www.google.com/policies/privacy

It's not a very difficult read, but it is very difficult to forecast the implications.

... ... ...

... ... ...

Cheers, tod

I read the whole (3-dozen-plus) batch of posts around this topic in one (fell ???) swoop. My overarching sense is one of witnessing rampant commies-under-every-bed hystericism.

I get the concern over privacy, such as it may/should exist in many minds, however (so far) what's the big deal? Anybody who has not lived in a cave for the last half century has some amount of personal idee that someone else can access.

So far, this discussion has mostly had a lot of conjecture. As someone who's been screwed by the 'system' --don't ask-- I'm more than a little cognizant of how one can be caught up in difficulties from which it is exceedingly problematic to extricate oneself.

Every convenience store has security cameras. Most public buildings are likewise equipped. England may have more CCTVs (per capita) than China. We are monitored in so many ways that, to fully ponder it, it would make one's head spin.

I'm sympathetic, but aren't the Google-privacy worriers just pissing into the wind?

Thanx. Oneal

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3.2.

Re: Google privacy: should we be worried?

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Thu Mar 8, 2012 4:04 pm (PST)



On Mar 7, 2012, at 7:30 AM, Oneal Neumann wrote:

> I‚m sympathetic, but aren‚t the Google-privacy worriers just pissing into the wind?

Google needs me far more than I need Google, at least at the moment.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com

4a.

Re: XiphQT

Posted by: "Oneal Neumann" wardell.h.s@gmail.com   newalander

Thu Mar 8, 2012 10:30 am (PST)




> On 2012 March 4 (at 08:58) Otto Nikolaus wrote:
>
> Could you give us the Wikipedia link so we can try it?
>
> Otto
>
>> On 4 March 2012 01:42, Oneal Neumann <wardell.h.s@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I couldn‚t play an audioclip on Wikipedia and I was directed to download
>> XiphQT, which I did. I chose to download the larger-size one, not the
>> version described as 'only decoders'.
>>
>> I still can‚t get the Wikipedia audioclip to play. How do I get my plugin
>> to work?

I was checking out an E Presley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis) and tried to access one of the audio files, however they are all Ogg Vorbis sound files, for which I had downloaded XiphQT, which ultimately did not work, hence my group post. Thanx. Oneal

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4b.

Re: XiphQT

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Thu Mar 8, 2012 11:35 pm (PST)



On 3/8/2012 1:29 PM, Oneal Neumann wrote:
> I was checking out an E Presley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis) and tried to access one of the audio files, however they are all Ogg Vorbis sound files, for which I had downloaded XiphQT, which ultimately did not work, hence my group post. Thanx. Oneal
>

Every clip on that Wikipedia page played without a download, for me.
They were embedded and I wasn't prompted for anything extra.

I used Chrome at the time.

Harry

4c.

Re: XiphQT

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Fri Mar 9, 2012 3:41 am (PST)



On 9 March 2012 07:35, Harry Flaxman <harry.flaxman@me.com> wrote:

>
> Every clip on that Wikipedia page played without a download, for me.
> They were embedded and I wasn't prompted for anything extra.
>
> I used Chrome at the time.
>

I tried those clips in Safari and they played without problem. I don't know
what was used, however. I didn't install anything for this.

Otto

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Free banking software for Lion?

Posted by: "halboye18" hal.horwitz@comcast.net   halboye18

Thu Mar 8, 2012 11:40 am (PST)



I need Simple, Simple stuff ... only to keep two checking acct registers. No need to track investments, etc.

Anyone have experience here?

TIA for your help,

hal
hal.horwitz@comcast.net


5b.

Re: Free banking software for Lion?

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Thu Mar 8, 2012 1:25 pm (PST)



You can do this with any spreadsheet application like Excel or Numbers, or with most database applications. Many have templates for this.

You probably already own one of these. Of course there is no download feature, but you should be able to enter data in either Excel or csv format.

Brent

On Mar 8, 2012, at 11:40 AM, halboye18 wrote:

> I need Simple, Simple stuff ... only to keep two checking acct registers. No need to track investments, etc.
>
> Anyone have experience here?

5c.

Re: Free banking software for Lion?

Posted by: "Gijzette Strickland" gsstrickland@gmail.com   gijzette

Thu Mar 8, 2012 6:51 pm (PST)



Hal,

I tried this program, its fairly basic. Was too basic for my needs but
might be just right for you http://www.splasm.com/checkbookpro/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gijzette Strickland - Elfin Bears™ -
OOAK Miniature Bears and Friends
http://www.elfinbears.com
http://twitter.com/ElfinBears
"It is astonishing how many thoroughly mature, well-adjusted grown-ups
harbor a teddy bear - which is perhaps why they are thoroughly mature and
well-adjusted." ~~Joseph Lempa.

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM, halboye18 <hal.horwitz@comcast.net> wrote:

> I need Simple, Simple stuff ... only to keep two checking acct registers.
> No need to track investments, etc.
>
> Anyone have experience here?
>
> TIA for your help,
>
>
> hal
> hal.horwitz@comcast.net
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5d.

Re: Free banking software for Lion?

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Thu Mar 8, 2012 6:58 pm (PST)



On Mar 8, 2012, at 11:40 AM, halboye18 wrote:

> I need Simple, Simple stuff ... only to keep two checking acct registers. No need to track investments, etc.
>
> Anyone have experience here?
Excel! And if you don't have Office then OpenOffice, Neu, or LibreOffice. A well-done spreadsheet should meet your needs handily.

Daly

5e.

Re: Free banking software for Lion?

Posted by: "Bob Cook" cookrd1@discoveryowners.com   cookrd1

Thu Mar 8, 2012 7:34 pm (PST)



On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM, halboye18 <hal.horwitz@comcast.net> wrote:

> **
>
>
> I need Simple, Simple stuff ... only to keep two checking acct registers.
> No need to track investments, etc.
>
> Anyone have experience here?
>
> Hal,

Why not give Mint.com a try? Works across all platforms (all you need is a
web browser) and also on all mobile platforms, so I can review all my
accounts no matter where I am. I highly recommend it. I no longer have to
go to any financial site and download my info, it is all consolidated in
Mint, and it has amazing capabilities.

Bob

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5f.

Re: Free banking software for Lion?

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Thu Mar 8, 2012 9:31 pm (PST)




On Mar 8, 2012, at 7:34 PM, Bob Cook wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM, halboye18 <hal.horwitz@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > I need Simple, Simple stuff ... only to keep two checking acct registers.
> > No need to track investments, etc.
> >
> > Anyone have experience here?
> >
> > Hal,
>
> Why not give Mint.com a try? Works across all platforms (all you need is a
> web browser) and also on all mobile platforms, so I can review all my
> accounts no matter where I am. I highly recommend it. I no longer have to
> go to any financial site and download my info, it is all consolidated in
> Mint, and it has amazing capabilities.

Yeah, give all you account numbers and passwords for all your finances to a branch of Intuit.

What could be wrong with that? Why would a hacker go after Mint, people only leave all their financial information there? One-stop shopping for hackers.

the other Brent
5g.

Re: Free banking software for Lion?

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Fri Mar 9, 2012 1:00 am (PST)




On Mar 8, 2012, at 11:40 AM, halboye18 wrote:

> I need Simple, Simple stuff ... only to keep two checking acct
> registers. No need to track investments, etc.

You can get some really excellent personal finance programs for only
about $30.

However, you asked for *free*, so have a look at:

Bankbook FREE
http://www.robertzprojects.com/programs.php

Pig Money FREE
http://homepage.mac.com/sweetcocoa/pigmoney/

Conto FREE
http://users.dimi.uniud.it/~nicola.vitacolonna/home/content/conto-mac-
os-x

GnuCash (via Fink and X11) FREE and open source
http://www.gnucash.org/
http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSXInstallation

Hold-Up FREE, open source
http://www.polhosting.info/web-archives/hold_up/

jGnash FREE and open source
http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/jgnash/index.php?title=Main_Page

JCash FREE and open source
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jcash/

Cash Forecaster (donations requested)
http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/macosxutils/cashforecaster.html

Buddi FREE
http://buddi.digitalcave.ca/

Balance FREE
http://martin.davidssons.com/
http://martin.davidssons.com/cs193e/balance.html

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

6.

tracking internet data usage

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Thu Mar 8, 2012 1:57 pm (PST)



With all this talk about internet data usage and AT&T throttling on other lists. I went to check my data usage for my Macs. I want to track this usage for background history.

I installed an app called SurplusMeter to try and track this, but it does not work for that. It tracks all the data usage, in and out of my MBP on my LAN and out to the internet. All I want to track is my internet data usage, up and down.

I have it to an monitor the Connection type: Airport, if I set it to PPP modem it does not seem to be able to monitor that.

My set up is Comcast <cable> Linksys/Cisco CM100 <Ethernet> Airport Extreme <WiFi> MacBook Pro.

With SurplusMeter and it's current settings I am seeing total usage of up to 85 GB, but from the Comcast website, they are only reporting total usage of up to 16 GB.

Comcast says that the user can not get the monthly usage from the bridge/modem and I can not find a way to access the info.

I tried an experiment by sending a 1.7MB attachment by email from my iPhone over WiFi. SurplusMeter did not see this, and it tracks down to the Byte.

Can anyone suggest a way to track this?

Brent
7.

Excel/Word for Mac 2008 Question

Posted by: "Guy Kudlemyer" gwkuddles@comcast.net   truckersroost

Thu Mar 8, 2012 2:14 pm (PST)



Hello:

PPC Mac
10.4.11‹Tiger
Office for Mac 2008

Apparently I just don¹t understand... I used to be able to do this in
earlier versions of this software, but I can¹t seem to figure it out now.
Perhaps someone can help me.

I¹d like to open 2 or 3 Excel Spreadsheets, and maybe 1 or 2 Word documents.
And then save them all as a ³Workspace², or ³Workbook², or whatever it¹s
called. I¹d like one Icon. I double-click on the Icon and all of those 4 or
5 Excel and Word documents will automatically open to the exact state that I
had left them. Excel automatically opens all associated documents, and Word
automatically opens all associated documents. All with on simple
double-click on an Icon.

It used to be so simple. Is this still possible? What am I missing...?

Thanks in advance!

--Guy
Thurston, OR
USA

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8a.

Ghostery

Posted by: "us2forever" us2forever@frontiernet.net   rksangelkayann

Thu Mar 8, 2012 3:25 pm (PST)



Not only did I change to Duckduckgo but I also installed Ghostery and blocked everything on the list. However, I still get a cookie from google.

I quit everything that I know is connected to google and I closed my accounts using google dashboard as suggested. I do not go to Utube. Could I be unknowingly going to a site connected to google? Is there somewhere I can find all the sites that are related to google, so I can avoid them?

Thank you,
Kay
MacBook Air
Mac OS X 10.7
1.8 GHz Intel Core i7
4GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
MacBook Pro 1.1
Mac OS X 10.6.8
1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo
1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
MacBook
Mac OS X 10.6.7
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

9a.

Quicken Info

Posted by: "pat412255" pat412@mac.com   pat412255

Thu Mar 8, 2012 4:45 pm (PST)



Thought this might be of interest to some of our members:

<http://tidbits.com/article/12852?rss>

9b.

Re: Quicken Info (X-POSTED)

Posted by: "Rob Frankel" rob@robfrankel.com   robfrankeldotcom

Thu Mar 8, 2012 9:26 pm (PST)



At 12:45 AM +0000 3/9/12, pat412255 wrote thusly:
>Thought this might be of interest to some of our members:
>
><http://tidbits.com/article/12852?rss>
>

Well, I bought it (Quicken 2007S the Lion compatible version) and
exported data out of Essentials with no problem. But for the life of
me, I cannot get the data to import into Quicken 2007S .

Quicken chat support was abysmally unhelpful.

Anyone else having this issue? It should be totally simple. What am
I missing?

--
Rob Frankel, Branding Expert
Twitter: @brandingexpert http://www.RobFrankel.com
http://www.PeerMailing.com http://www.i-legions.com
http://www.FrankelAnderson.com
Yes, there's an RSS feed blog, if you can handle it:
http://www.robfrankelblog.com

9c.

Re: Quicken Info (X-POSTED)

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Fri Mar 9, 2012 5:48 am (PST)



On Mar 8, 2012, at 9:25 PM, Rob Frankel wrote:

> Well, I bought it (Quicken 2007S the Lion compatible version) and
> exported data out of Essentials with no problem. But for the life of
> me, I cannot get the data to import into Quicken 2007S .
>
> Quicken chat support was abysmally unhelpful.
>
> Anyone else having this issue? It should be totally simple. What am
> I missing?

I'm not having THAT issue, but I bought the new Quicken as well. I exported all accounts from SEEFinance, and imported them into the new Quicken. Unfortunately, the balances in all accounts were WAY off. I'll have to find time this weekend to study it out, but it wasn't a happy introduction to the new Quicken.

Daly
10.

Bug in iTunes 10.6

Posted by: "Larson" pix@maksimo.de   yovard@ymail.com

Fri Mar 9, 2012 1:37 am (PST)




After updating to iTunes 10.6 I can not play videos in Full Screen if "in Separate Window" is activated (View Menu > Video Playback > in Separate Window). Trying to do so will always crash iTunes.

This is very bad because I always play "in Separate Window".

Anna
OS X 10.6.8
MacBook Pro 17''

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web