9/22/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 9130

15 New Messages

Digest #9130
1a
Re: This is about the new 'EarPods' by "Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger
1c
Re: This is about the new 'EarPods' by "Lynn Voedisch" bastetmax
1d
Re: This is about the new 'EarPods' by "Patti A Robertson" parpiano
1e
Re: This is about the new 'EarPods' by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
1f
Re: This is about the new 'EarPods' by "paul smith" waldonny
2a
Re: Time and Materials by "Jurgen Richter" epsongroups
3a
Re: MacUpdate.com by "John Engberg" mrmacbyte
4a
5a

Messages

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:53 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger


On Sep 21, 2012, at 6:17 PM, James Robertson wrote:

> The left one falls out of my ear. They're more comfortable than the old standard issue ear buds, and they do sound better, but clearly they didn't scan my ears before making their molds.

Allow me to recommend a pair of earbud headphones that you might like. And if you don't like them, they are so inexpensive that you won't feel too bad.

Koss earphones
under $11
<http://www.amazon.com/Koss-Plug-In-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B00001P4XA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348281994&sr=8-1&keywords=koss+sparkplug+earphones>
or
http://is.gd/IpNHXR

These earphones (no microphone, these are for listening to music only) have a foam tip that is pretty amazing. Squeeze the foam and it compacts into next to nothing. After squeezing the foam, you put the headphones in your ear and the foam expands to provide a perfect fit. It's like getting a custom fit set of headphones for next to nothing! They sound great too!

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:12 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Bekah" bekalex

Thank you muchly! I've been needing some new cheapos. :-)

Bekah

On Sep 21, 2012, at 7:53 PM, Randy B. Singer <randy@macattorney.com> wrote:

>
> On Sep 21, 2012, at 6:17 PM, James Robertson wrote:
>
>> The left one falls out of my ear. They're more comfortable than the old standard issue ear buds, and they do sound better, but clearly they didn't scan my ears before making their molds.
>
> Allow me to recommend a pair of earbud headphones that you might like. And if you don't like them, they are so inexpensive that you won't feel too bad.
>
> Koss earphones
> under $11
> <http://www.amazon.com/Koss-Plug-In-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B00001P4XA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348281994&sr=8-1&keywords=koss+sparkplug+earphones>
> or
> http://is.gd/IpNHXR
>
> These earphones (no microphone, these are for listening to music only) have a foam tip that is pretty amazing. Squeeze the foam and it compacts into next to nothing. After squeezing the foam, you put the headphones in your ear and the foam expands to provide a perfect fit. It's like getting a custom fit set of headphones for next to nothing! They sound great too!
>
> ___________________________________________
> Randy B. Singer
> Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
>
> Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
> http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
> ___________________________________________
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:13 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Lynn Voedisch" bastetmax

I can't wear the standard earbuds because I have small ears and the earbuds hurt my ears. For a whole Apple sort some custom ear buds that you could fit with small, average, and large ear coverings. But they quit making them. (I bought a ton of them to stock up.) But my supply is dwindling and I have no idea if this new ear bud will fit me or not. Probably not.

I have some ancient clipping of David Pogue's article on earpieces for the New York Times. I'll consult it for names of good brands that fit people with non-standard ears.

Lynn

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:16 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Patti A Robertson" parpiano

I love etymotic. I'm 5" tall with small ears. But they're not cheap.

Patti.
Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 21, 2012, at 9:13 PM, Lynn Voedisch <stet@drbrad.org> wrote:

> I can't wear the standard earbuds because I have small ears and the earbuds hurt my ears. For a whole Apple sort some custom ear buds that you could fit with small, average, and large ear coverings. But they quit making them. (I bought a ton of them to stock up.) But my supply is dwindling and I have no idea if this new ear bud will fit me or not. Probably not.
>
> I have some ancient clipping of David Pogue's article on earpieces for the New York Times. I'll consult it for names of good brands that fit people with non-standard ears.
>
> Lynn
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:08 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

Etymotic are very good, but I've found the Sennheiser CX300 to be nearly as
good for a fraction of the price.

For those who don't know, these are all "canalphones". They fit in your ear
like earplugs, which means that external noise is excluded and you don't
annoy other people. The Sennheisers come with 3 sizes of seal to ensure a
good fit.

Otto

On 22 September 2012 05:49, Patti A Robertson <pattiandken@charter.net>wrote:

> I love etymotic. I'm 5" tall with small ears. But they're not cheap.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:47 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"paul smith" waldonny

I have a pair of NuForce's now-discontinued NE-700X earphones, which have simply extraordinary sound. These are their next less expensive model, which come with 3 sizes of interchangeable tips:
<http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/ne770x/index.php>
--
PSmith
MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.8.2 iPhone 4S 64 GB, iOS 6.0

On Sep 22, 2012, at 12:13 AM, Lynn Voedisch <stet@drbrad.org> wrote:

> can't wear the standard earbuds because I have small ears and the earbuds hurt my ears. For a whole Apple sort some custom ear buds that you could fit with small, average, and large ear coverings. But they quit making them. (I bought a ton of them to stock up.) But my supply is dwindling and I have no idea if this new ear bud will fit me or not. Probably not.
>
> I have some ancient clipping of David Pogue's article on earpieces for the New York Times. I'll consult it for names of good brands that fit people with non-standard ears.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:58 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Vixpix" nyskater

Wow, you really are small! Being only 5 inches tall is like the Geico gecko.

Vickie 

Sent from a spoiled little iPad

On Sep 22, 2012, at 12:49 AM, Patti A Robertson <pattiandken@charter.net> wrote:

> I'm 5" tall with small ears.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:54 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jurgen Richter" epsongroups

http://www.mupromo.com/
Has a 50% off sale this weekend for MacJournal for $19.95
Worth a look at least, and don't forget to look at and try out others. I
personally like and use Circus Ponies Notebook, but everyone has their
own favorites I'm sure.
Try them out first and then buy that which works for you...

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:54 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"John Engberg" mrmacbyte


On Sep 21, 2012, at 6:15 PM, Michael Moloney <moloney.icloud@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello group,
>
> Has anyone downloaded and used MacUpdate.com before?
>
> If so, what are your thoughts on it?
>
> Michael Moloney
> moloney.icloud@gmail.com
>

You mean the MacUpdate Desktop app, of course. I've been using it for quite a while, and I find it's very useful. It keeps track of all your apps, your preference panes, plugins, widgets, etc. I've experienced a few minor issues, but nothing significant. The only thing I don't like about it is how slowly it loads up when you boot. I especially like the download and install feature, and the ability to go instantly to any app on your system without having to traipse through my apps or utility folders to find locate it. I also get email notifications when any of my software has been updated. It's not free, though. It's $20 a year, but I think it's well worth it.

Regarding Macupdate.com, it's a goldmine. I use it all the time. I used to use VersionTracker (a paid subscription), but I got sick of that after C|Net took it over. I'll still go there occasionally, but MacUpdate is my location of choice. You can download from Macupdate.com free - you don't need a subscription to do that.

John Engberg

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:01 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

A hearty concurrence with Randy on Tex-Edit Plus (from Trans Tex).

I've had it for years. It had not been updated for years either until
recently when a new version was released.

It can remove everything from tab command to extra spaces to formatting
to smart quotes and much more with a single click.

And it has a proper Save As… command. I stopped using Apple's Text
Edit.

Denver Dan

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 02:02:40 -0700, Randy B. Singer wrote:
> On Sep 20, 2012, at 1:43 PM, HAL9000 wrote:
>
>> When using Text Edit, I capture text from various sources. I go back
>> into the newly created document and try to tidy up the formatting of
>> the newly created document, but I find it difficult to overcome
>> certain hidden formatting. The offending formatting remains hidden
>> in this newly created document. Do any of you guy's know how to
>> REVEAL these pasted formatting commands in a newly created Text Edit
>> document? Deleting text does not delete formatting most time.
>
> Apple's Text Edit isn't a text editor. Rather, it is a lightweight
> word processor.
>
> A real text editor will allow you to quickly clean up text. For this
> I really like:
>
> Tex-Edit Plus ($15)
> http://www.tex-edit.com/
>
> Tex-Edit Plus can instantly cleanup an entire document with one
> keyboard shortcut!
>
> If you'd prefer a free text editor:
>
> TextWrangler (free)
> http://www.barebones.com/products/TextWrangler/
>
> which can do most of the same things as Tex-Edit Plus, but it will
> take more steps to get there.
>
> ___________________________________________
> Randy B. Singer

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:08 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

Hi, Dan. My original question was, what app will allow me to open a RichText doc and strip out what I want, not strip out EVERYTHING automatically. Text-Edit Plus strips out everything automatically when I open a RichText doc. Nice, but not what I want. SmartWrap seems to do the same thing.

I want to open a RichText doc and see the formatting codes left from web cut and paste. Then SELECT codes to delete, save and close the RT doc.

I like that RT maintains formatting from web clips, it's just difficult to change if I can't see the hidden formatting within the RT doc.

I'd rather not use InDesign to create a document. RT is simple and beautiful. The clipped formatting codes are hidden though. jr

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@...> wrote:
>
> Howdy.
>
> A hearty concurrence with Randy on Tex-Edit Plus (from Trans Tex).
>
> I've had it for years. It had not been updated for years either until
> recently when a new version was released.
>
> It can remove everything from tab command to extra spaces to formatting
> to smart quotes and much more with a single click.
>
> And it has a proper Save As¡Ä command. I stopped using Apple's Text
> Edit.
>
> Denver Dan
>
>
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 02:02:40 -0700, Randy B. Singer wrote:
> > On Sep 20, 2012, at 1:43 PM, HAL9000 wrote:
> >
> >> When using Text Edit, I capture text from various sources. I go back
> >> into the newly created document and try to tidy up the formatting of
> >> the newly created document, but I find it difficult to overcome
> >> certain hidden formatting. The offending formatting remains hidden
> >> in this newly created document. Do any of you guy's know how to
> >> REVEAL these pasted formatting commands in a newly created Text Edit
> >> document? Deleting text does not delete formatting most time.
> >
> > Apple's Text Edit isn't a text editor. Rather, it is a lightweight
> > word processor.
> >
> > A real text editor will allow you to quickly clean up text. For this
> > I really like:
> >
> > Tex-Edit Plus ($15)
> > http://www.tex-edit.com/
> >
> > Tex-Edit Plus can instantly cleanup an entire document with one
> > keyboard shortcut!
> >
> > If you'd prefer a free text editor:
> >
> > TextWrangler (free)
> > http://www.barebones.com/products/TextWrangler/
> >
> > which can do most of the same things as Tex-Edit Plus, but it will
> > take more steps to get there.
> >
> > ___________________________________________
> > Randy B. Singer
>

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:29 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"t.curtis" tcurtis83

Does TextWrangler do what you want? I only use it for text editing, but it may work for you as it can show everything (show invisibles) and it's free.
t

Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB DDR3
Mountain Lion Mac OS X 10.8.1 (12B19)

On 22 Sep 2012, at 8:08 AM, "HAL9000" <jrswebhome@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi, Dan. My original question was, what app will allow me to open a RichText doc and strip out what I want, not strip out EVERYTHING automatically. Text-Edit Plus strips out everything automatically when I open a RichText doc. Nice, but not what I want. SmartWrap seems to do the same thing.
>
> I want to open a RichText doc and see the formatting codes left from web cut and paste. Then SELECT codes to delete, save and close the RT doc.
>
> I like that RT maintains formatting from web clips, it's just difficult to change if I can't see the hidden formatting within the RT doc.
>
> I'd rather not use InDesign to create a document. RT is simple and beautiful. The clipped formatting codes are hidden though. jr
>
>
>
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@...> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy.
>>
>> A hearty concurrence with Randy on Tex-Edit Plus (from Trans Tex).
>>
>> I've had it for years. It had not been updated for years either until
>> recently when a new version was released.
>>
>> It can remove everything from tab command to extra spaces to formatting
>> to smart quotes and much more with a single click.
>>
>> And it has a proper Save As¡Ä command. I stopped using Apple's Text
>> Edit.
>>
>> Denver Dan
>>
>>
>> On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 02:02:40 -0700, Randy B. Singer wrote:
>>> On Sep 20, 2012, at 1:43 PM, HAL9000 wrote:
>>>
>>>> When using Text Edit, I capture text from various sources. I go back
>>>> into the newly created document and try to tidy up the formatting of
>>>> the newly created document, but I find it difficult to overcome
>>>> certain hidden formatting. The offending formatting remains hidden
>>>> in this newly created document. Do any of you guy's know how to
>>>> REVEAL these pasted formatting commands in a newly created Text Edit
>>>> document? Deleting text does not delete formatting most time.
>>>
>>> Apple's Text Edit isn't a text editor. Rather, it is a lightweight
>>> word processor.
>>>
>>> A real text editor will allow you to quickly clean up text. For this
>>> I really like:
>>>
>>> Tex-Edit Plus ($15)
>>> http://www.tex-edit.com/
>>>
>>> Tex-Edit Plus can instantly cleanup an entire document with one
>>> keyboard shortcut!
>>>
>>> If you'd prefer a free text editor:
>>>
>>> TextWrangler (free)
>>> http://www.barebones.com/products/TextWrangler/
>>>
>>> which can do most of the same things as Tex-Edit Plus, but it will
>>> take more steps to get there.
>>>
>>> ___________________________________________
>>> Randy B. Singer
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:47 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

I drug the RT doc to Textwrangler and TW opens into a blank window.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "t.curtis" <t.curtis.forums@...> wrote:
>
> Does TextWrangler do what you want? I only use it for text editing, but it may work for you as it can show everything (show invisibles) and it's free.
> t
>
> Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB DDR3
> Mountain Lion Mac OS X 10.8.1 (12B19)
>
> On 22 Sep 2012, at 8:08 AM, "HAL9000" <jrswebhome@...> wrote:
>
> > Hi, Dan. My original question was, what app will allow me to open a RichText doc and strip out what I want, not strip out EVERYTHING automatically. Text-Edit Plus strips out everything automatically when I open a RichText doc. Nice, but not what I want. SmartWrap seems to do the same thing.
> >
> > I want to open a RichText doc and see the formatting codes left from web cut and paste. Then SELECT codes to delete, save and close the RT doc.
> >
> > I like that RT maintains formatting from web clips, it's just difficult to change if I can't see the hidden formatting within the RT doc.
> >
> > I'd rather not use InDesign to create a document. RT is simple and beautiful. The clipped formatting codes are hidden though. jr
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@> wrote:
> >>
> >> Howdy.
> >>
> >> A hearty concurrence with Randy on Tex-Edit Plus (from Trans Tex).
> >>
> >> I've had it for years. It had not been updated for years either until
> >> recently when a new version was released.
> >>
> >> It can remove everything from tab command to extra spaces to formatting
> >> to smart quotes and much more with a single click.
> >>
> >> And it has a proper Save As¡Ä command. I stopped using Apple's Text
> >> Edit.
> >>
> >> Denver Dan
> >>
> >>
> >> On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 02:02:40 -0700, Randy B. Singer wrote:
> >>> On Sep 20, 2012, at 1:43 PM, HAL9000 wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> When using Text Edit, I capture text from various sources. I go back
> >>>> into the newly created document and try to tidy up the formatting of
> >>>> the newly created document, but I find it difficult to overcome
> >>>> certain hidden formatting. The offending formatting remains hidden
> >>>> in this newly created document. Do any of you guy's know how to
> >>>> REVEAL these pasted formatting commands in a newly created Text Edit
> >>>> document? Deleting text does not delete formatting most time.
> >>>
> >>> Apple's Text Edit isn't a text editor. Rather, it is a lightweight
> >>> word processor.
> >>>
> >>> A real text editor will allow you to quickly clean up text. For this
> >>> I really like:
> >>>
> >>> Tex-Edit Plus ($15)
> >>> http://www.tex-edit.com/
> >>>
> >>> Tex-Edit Plus can instantly cleanup an entire document with one
> >>> keyboard shortcut!
> >>>
> >>> If you'd prefer a free text editor:
> >>>
> >>> TextWrangler (free)
> >>> http://www.barebones.com/products/TextWrangler/
> >>>
> >>> which can do most of the same things as Tex-Edit Plus, but it will
> >>> take more steps to get there.
> >>>
> >>> ___________________________________________
> >>> Randy B. Singer
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Group FAQ:
> > <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:20 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Bill B." kernos501

I use BBEdit for such things. TextWrangler, a subset of BBEdit may do and it's free. I've not used it since I know BBEdit.

I just downloaded it. TextWrangler displays RTF as ASCII with commands and unicode character codes.

Bill Blank

At 2:08 PM +0000 9/22/12, HAL9000 wrote:
>Hi, Dan. My original question was, what app will allow me to open a RichText doc and strip out what I want, not strip out EVERYTHING automatically. Text-Edit Plus strips out everything automatically when I open a RichText doc. Nice, but not what I want. SmartWrap seems to do the same thing.
>
>I want to open a RichText doc and see the formatting codes left from web cut and paste. Then SELECT codes to delete, save and close the RT doc.
>
>I like that RT maintains formatting from web clips, it's just difficult to change if I can't see the hidden formatting within the RT doc.
>
>I'd rather not use InDesign to create a document. RT is simple and beautiful. The clipped formatting codes are hidden though. jr
>
>
>
>
>--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@...> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy.
>>
>> A hearty concurrence with Randy on Tex-Edit Plus (from Trans Tex).
>>
>> I've had it for years. It had not been updated for years either until
>> recently when a new version was released.
>>
>> It can remove everything from tab command to extra spaces to formatting
>> to smart quotes and much more with a single click.
>>
>> And it has a proper Save As¡Ä command. I stopped using Apple's Text
>> Edit.
>>
>> Denver Dan
>>
>>
>> On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 02:02:40 -0700, Randy B. Singer wrote:
>> > On Sep 20, 2012, at 1:43 PM, HAL9000 wrote:
>> >
>> >> When using Text Edit, I capture text from various sources. I go back
>> >> into the newly created document and try to tidy up the formatting of
>> >> the newly created document, but I find it difficult to overcome
>> >> certain hidden formatting. The offending formatting remains hidden
>> >> in this newly created document. Do any of you guy's know how to
>> >> REVEAL these pasted formatting commands in a newly created Text Edit
>> >> document? Deleting text does not delete formatting most time.
>> >
>> > Apple's Text Edit isn't a text editor. Rather, it is a lightweight
>> > word processor.
>> >
>> > A real text editor will allow you to quickly clean up text. For this
>> > I really like:
>> >
>> > Tex-Edit Plus ($15)
>> > http://www.tex-edit.com/
>> >
>> > Tex-Edit Plus can instantly cleanup an entire document with one
>> > keyboard shortcut!
>> >
>> > If you'd prefer a free text editor:
>> >
>> > TextWrangler (free)
>> > http://www.barebones.com/products/TextWrangler/
>> >
>> > which can do most of the same things as Tex-Edit Plus, but it will
>> > take more steps to get there.
>> >
>> > ___________________________________________
>> > Randy B. Singer
>>
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------------
>
>Group FAQ:
><http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:24 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"pat412255" pat412255



--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Daly Jessup <jessup@...> wrote:
>
>
> On Sep 21, 2012, at 3:38 PM, joan05061 wrote:
>
> > I bought a Linksys router from Cisco the beginning of June. I noticed that the internet was very slow a few weeks ago and asked support for help. The woman told me to change a setting in the software (before I had upgraded to Mountain Lion) and that seemed to improve things a little, though I still could not get a decent signal at the other end of the house, about 60 feet away.
> > I noticed within the past few days (after upgrading to 10.8) that the download speed was once again very slow. It appears that the router software is not compatible with OX 10.8 and they give no help in updating the firmware after ninety days nor do they notify you that a firmware update is necessary.
> > I want nothing further to do with them. Any suggestions for a different router? We have two desktop computers (one still using 10.6 and one upgraded to 10.8.2(when it finishes downloading) and a laptop using 10.8. I would like to be able to use the laptop at the other end of the house but the signal is very weak and of course I would like to have the download speed I am entitled to from my IP.
>
> The most dependable router I have ever used is the Airport Extreme from Apple. It's also the easiest to use.
>
> Daly
>
I've used the Airport Extreme & Time Capsule for several years with no problems. Three of my family members also use the Extreme in their homes.

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE