9/16/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 9120

11 New Messages

Digest #9120
1a
Re: Add memory (RAM) by "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01
2a
Re: help with streaming Netflix by "Gijzette Strickland" gijzette
2b
Re: help with streaming Netflix by "pat412255" pat412255
3a
4
Time and Materials by "Richard Prokopchuk" wizardofaz2002
5a
Re: SuperDuper! and Finder "Get Info" by "James Robertson" jamesrob328i
5b
Re: SuperDuper! and Finder "Get Info" by "David Brostoff" dcbrostoff
5c
Re: SuperDuper! and Finder "Get Info" by "James Robertson" jamesrob328i
5d
Re: SuperDuper! and Finder "Get Info" by "Michael P. Stupinski" mstupinski

Messages

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:47 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

> The Mac is a MBP SSD 10.8.1 Core i7 with 4GB. Installation should be easy.

FYI:
This (Core i7 with 4GB) could still describe at least 10 distinct Macbook Pro models, dating back to 2010.

>> Since you don't specify which Macbook Pro, the answer is "It depends."
>>
>> For future reference, when you post questions like this, go to:
>> Apple Menu -- About This Mac -- More Info -- System Report -- Hardware
>> and include information like Model Identifier, Processor Speed, and Memory.
>> Hard drive size wouldn't hurt, either.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:58 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Gijzette Strickland" gijzette

Joan,

Not sure why the link doesn't work for you. I'm sending again
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/powerline-and-coax/high-performance/XAVB5004.aspx#If
it still doesn't work, go to
http://www.netgear.com then click on for home, then products, then
powerline and coax, high performance and it is then the 2nd one on the left
says for home entertainment HD.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gijzette Strickland - Elfin Bears™ -
OOAK Miniature Bears and Friends
http://www.elfinbears.com
http://twitter.com/ElfinBears
"It is astonishing how many thoroughly mature, well-adjusted grown-ups
harbor a teddy bear - which is perhaps why they are thoroughly mature and
well-adjusted." ~~Joseph Lempa.

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Joan B. Sax, Ph.D. <jsax@me.com> wrote:

> Gijzette, the link you gave about the power line adapters didn't work.
> Could you check it? I will be upgrading my TV to HD sometime soon and
> wanted to get Apple TV and look at movies in my living room that is about
> 75 feet away from my router (our house goes sideways rather than up) so I
> know the signal won't be good enough. Your power adapter solution seems
> like it would work for me, when I get around to making all those changes.
>
> Joan
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:18 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"pat412255" pat412255


I use a Time Capsule as my main router & added an Airport Express to extend my network from my thick-walled house to my office (a trailer) which is over 100 feet away & it has worked flawlessly for a couple of years.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "Joan B. Sax, Ph.D." <jsax@...> wrote:
>
> Gijzette, the link you gave about the power line adapters didn't work. Could you check it? I will be upgrading my TV to HD sometime soon and wanted to get Apple TV and look at movies in my living room that is about 75 feet away from my router (our house goes sideways rather than up) so I know the signal won't be good enough. Your power adapter solution seems like it would work for me, when I get around to making all those changes.
>
> Joan
>

Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:49 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Banksia" banksia02

Thanks for all the replies. The solution was the rebuilding of each mailbox - started with the inboxes for my 2 email addresses and now working through the 80 other boxes I have but it works very fast - select Rebuild under Mailbox in menu as was suggested. All the old emails now open easily.

Ruth in Australia

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:05 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Richard Prokopchuk" wizardofaz2002

Hi,

I build guitars. I have since I was in the Air Force in 1994. We had may cases of where we had to log every job and the steps taken. I've always built electrics, but I've started a new phase of building acoustics. I'm wondering if there is an app that will let me document time spent, materials purchased and their costs, perhaps letting me even include photos of a particular step or event. Is there anyone in the group who can suggest an appropriate app for both the iMac and the iBook?

Rick
iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:50 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"James Robertson" jamesrob328i


On Sep 15, 2012, at 3:18 PM, LouisD <lou@loudina.com> wrote:

> Just for yuks, I manually copied a file to my OSX backup drive to see if it changed the modified date. Finder accurately shows the modified time and date.

I'm just an end user, but I wonder if the way SuperDuper! (and perhaps CCC as well) work is outside the "usual" Mac file system so that the Finder doesn't really get a CHANCE to record changes made by these programs.

--
Jim Robertson

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:04 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"David Brostoff" dcbrostoff

On Sep 15, 2012, at 15:18 , LouisD wrote:

> I just check the SD backup log occasionally to make sure everything is working.

What do you look for?

David

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:38 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"James Robertson" jamesrob328i


On Sep 15, 2012, at 7:56 PM, David Brostoff <davbro@earthlink.net> wrote:

> What do you look for?

I checked my log for the first time yesterday morning just BECAUSE Finder's "Get Info" said nothing had happened to my Boot Clone volume the night before. The log is long, readable by mere mortals, and tells you what SuperDuper has been up to and when. You can see how long it took to do its work, see that it ran all the way to completion, etc.

--
Jim Robertson

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:38 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Michael P. Stupinski" mstupinski

Lou,

I guess I hadn't checked my 'Smart Copy' timing since upgrading from my 2.3GHz G5 with 6.5 GB RAM to my 2.8GHz i7 iMac with 8GB RAM.

I just timed this week's SD backup and it took 3 minutes to finish permissions repair and 17 minutes overall for backup of my 500GB (non-SSD) boot drive. That seems to be in the right ballpark.

.............Mike

On Sep 15, 2012, at 5:20 PM, LouisD <lou@loudina.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Repair permissions will vary with processor speed, RAM, etc. I have 16GB RAM and a 240GB SSD in my computer, so that probably helps. A typical smart incremental backup of my SSD boot drive (OSX and programs) takes about 10-12 minutes total, including permission repair.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:01 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"LouisD" ldina

> What do you look for?

David,

Pretty much the same as what Jim said. I open SD and look at the SD log file for each backup script. When you open the log, it shows when the backup started, when it completed, what tasks it performed in sequence and a fair amount of detail, and at the end it says it completed successfully. If I really want to be thorough, I take a quick look at the backup drive to see if files that were recently created or modified now backed up.

I don't check very often, since SD always seems to work fine for me. I just did that at first to make sure all was working properly, and I do a quick check every once in awhile to verify that my backups are working.

Lou

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:09 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Kathleen Cercone"

I have macbook pro retina display. My apple mail has the problem. My email accounts are emails that I migrated from another macbook pro.I can not send from 2 accounts. I did connection dr since I can not send emails from the optimum.net accounts. I can receive email from all accounts.

When I did the connection dr. it shows that it has 2 setting for each account = pop and smtp. The dot that indicated it is okay turns green for the pop email but it shows I also have smtp for the same accounts and they are red. They should not even have stmp as pop is how I added them.
I have no clue what to do or how to fix this. I have a feeling it is a problem with the library but that is something I do not fix unless I know what to do.
I tried deleting the account and re-inputting into mail- still no help.
I did a search but could not find anything.
I hope someone can help me.
Thanks!!
Kathy

Kathleen Cercone PT, PhD
onlineprof@drcercone.com

On Sep 16, 2012, at 8:38 AM, "Michael P. Stupinski" <mpstupinski@snet.net> wrote:

> Lou,
>
> I guess I hadn't checked my 'Smart Copy' timing since upgrading from my 2.3GHz G5 with 6.5 GB RAM to my 2.8GHz i7 iMac with 8GB RAM.
>
> I just timed this week's SD backup and it took 3 minutes to finish permissions repair and 17 minutes overall for backup of my 500GB (non-SSD) boot drive. That seems to be in the right ballpark.
>
> .............Mike
>
> On Sep 15, 2012, at 5:20 PM, LouisD <lou@loudina.com> wrote:
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > Repair permissions will vary with processor speed, RAM, etc. I have 16GB RAM and a 240GB SSD in my computer, so that probably helps. A typical smart incremental backup of my SSD boot drive (OSX and programs) takes about 10-12 minutes total, including permission repair.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE