9/21/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 9128

5 New Messages

Digest #9128
1c
Re: Text Edit Question & New Maps App Stinks Bad by "Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger
2a
Re: Time and Materials by "Daly Jessup" dalyjessup

Messages

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:43 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

When using Text Edit, I capture text from various sources. I go back into the newly created document and try to tidy up the formatting of the newly created document, but I find it difficult to overcome certain hidden formatting. The offending formatting remains hidden in this newly created document. Do any of you guy's know how to REVEAL these pasted formatting commands in a newly created Text Edit document? Deleting text does not delete formatting most time.

Just updated my iPhone4 to iOS6. Apple Maps stink badly. Very slow. Info is too minimal.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:36 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"George Barker" four46

>When using Text Edit, I capture text from various sources. I go back
>into the newly created document and try to tidy up the formatting of
>the newly created document, but I find it difficult to overcome
>certain hidden formatting. The offending formatting remains hidden
>in this newly created document. Do any of you guy's know how to
>REVEAL these pasted formatting commands in a newly created Text Edit
>document? Deleting text does not delete formatting most time.

It's a painful workaround, but I find this sometimes gets the result
you're after:

1. copy a word (that is formatted the way you want) to the clipboard
2. paste it just before (or after) the text you wish to reformat
3. copy the text you wish to reformat (Cut it if you're feeling lucky...)
4. select the previously pasted word and paste the clipboard (from
action 3) into it.
5. delete the original text (if you were wise enough not to cut it
at action 3)

By no means a silver bullet, and in fact I'd be happy to know a
better way myself.

George
--
----------------------------------------------------------
George Barker
----------------------------------------------------------

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:02 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger


On Sep 20, 2012, at 1:43 PM, HAL9000 wrote:

> When using Text Edit, I capture text from various sources. I go back into the newly created document and try to tidy up the formatting of the newly created document, but I find it difficult to overcome certain hidden formatting. The offending formatting remains hidden in this newly created document. Do any of you guy's know how to REVEAL these pasted formatting commands in a newly created Text Edit document? Deleting text does not delete formatting most time.

Apple's Text Edit isn't a text editor. Rather, it is a lightweight word processor.

A real text editor will allow you to quickly clean up text. For this I really like:

Tex-Edit Plus ($15)
http://www.tex-edit.com/

Tex-Edit Plus can instantly cleanup an entire document with one keyboard shortcut!

If you'd prefer a free text editor:

TextWrangler (free)
http://www.barebones.com/products/TextWrangler/

which can do most of the same things as Tex-Edit Plus, but it will take more steps to get there.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:39 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Daly Jessup" dalyjessup


On Sep 18, 2012, at 11:10 PM, Richard Prokopchuk wrote:

> After further assessment of what I want, I guess what I am looking for is a photo and text journal that I can document work photographically with text, include costs and materials too. I don't build for sale anymore. My health is too poor and I don't think I could do a project within a reasonable time anymore. My quality hasn't suffered, just my work speed.

Perhaps a diary type of program such as MacJournal? You can put pictures and text into the journal entries. I don't know if you need a spreadsheet function, or just a way to note amounts spent. MacJournal does allow you to enter tables, though I can't see that it does calculations.

Or really, you could use Word or Excel (or Open Office or NeoOffice, if you don't have Microsoft Office) because you can tpye text into a spreadsheet page, drag in photos, AND do calculations there.

Or you could use Pages. It lets you insert text, pictures, AND tables with calculation functions for tracking expenses.

Daly
GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE