9/30/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 9146

3 New Messages

Digest #9146
2a
"MAIL" handling of Gmail by "fussyoldfart" fussyoldfart
2b
Re: "MAIL" handling of Gmail by "Forrest Leedy" forrkazu

Messages

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:45 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Vickie" nyskater

I just got a notice that Time Warner is going to raise their rate to $4 a month for renting their router. Their router is currently hooked up to my Airport Extreme.

I do not want to rent from them anymore. Can someone suggest a router to purchase? Is the Airport Extreme considered a router?

Thanks.

Vickie
Sent from my iPad's big sister

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:21 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"fussyoldfart" fussyoldfart

Mail, on my iMac has set up all my normal contacts including those that I have filed under the names of friends, family, or other contacts, however if I scroll down the bar at the left of the page I see what appears to be a complete set of duplicates under the heading "gmail".

Some of the stored messages are as much as 7 years old but I can't delete them! If I highlight a message and click delete it obediently disappears, if I use "select all" and then "delete" all of them vanish. However - the next time I open mail I can find the same messages exactly as they were before I tried to get rid of them.

What is happening here?

Mail that I receive I normally read and delete, storing only those personal messages that are important to me. When I look into this other file I find what appears to be everything that has ever hit my in-box including all the spam and junk.

Perhaps I should clarify here; all this seems to relate to gmail although there is so much of it that I have not tried to sort it, don't know how to sort it, to see if normal POP mail is also displayed in this enormous collection. Is it true that Google keeps everything, forever? When I delete a message I expect to see it move to the trash. When I empty the trash I want to see it GONE.

Darrell (fussyoldfart) McDonald

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:35 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Forrest Leedy" forrkazu


On Sep 30, 2012, at 11:21 AM, "fussyoldfart" <fussyoldfart@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mail, on my iMac has set up all my normal contacts including those that I have filed under the names of friends, family, or other contacts, however if I scroll down the bar at the left of the page I see what appears to be a complete set of duplicates under the heading "gmail".
>
> Some of the stored messages are as much as 7 years old but I can't delete them! If I highlight a message and click delete it obediently disappears, if I use "select all" and then "delete" all of them vanish. However - the next time I open mail I can find the same messages exactly as they were before I tried to get rid of them.
>
> What is happening here?
>
> Mail that I receive I normally read and delete, storing only those personal messages that are important to me. When I look into this other file I find what appears to be everything that has ever hit my in-box including all the spam and junk.
>
> Perhaps I should clarify here; all this seems to relate to gmail although there is so much of it that I have not tried to sort it, don't know how to sort it, to see if normal POP mail is also displayed in this enormous collection. Is it true that Google keeps everything, forever? When I delete a message I expect to see it move to the trash. When I empty the trash I want to see it GONE.
>
> Darrell (fussyoldfart) McDonald

From what you describe above, I would say that this is a Gmail problem. I don't use Gmail as my mail provider so really do not know how Gmail is set up, however, have you actually signed on to your Gmail web site and tried deleting them from there? Surely they have a way of doing that, but I am just guessing here.

Forrest
GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE