9/12/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9753

15 New Messages

Digest #9753
1a
Yahoo Problems by denverdan22180
1b
Re: Yahoo Problems by "HAL9000" jrswebhome
1c
Re: Yahoo Problems by "Tony" tdale@xtra.co.nz
1d
Re: Yahoo Problems by "N.A. Nada"
2a
Re: MAC mail not working all the time on my Gmail account by "Charles Carroll" charlesmarkcarroll
3b
Re: EDIT previous senders/recipients file by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
3c
Re: EDIT previous senders/recipients file by "Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger
4
Mac OS X 10.8.5 released by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
5.1
Re: Mac vs PC by "Daly Jessup" dalyjessup
6
Pages change case for Jim S by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
7
New iPhone 5S features by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
8
iPhone 5S Touch ID technology by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
9
iPhone 5S A7 and M7 Chips by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
10a
Re: Bluetooth query by "Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger

Messages

Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:52 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

denverdan22180

Howdy.

Yahoo seems to be having problems with messages. I'm not sure
what the problem is. We'll try to find out.

I'm posting this while logged in to the group via a web browser
rather than via email so I hope it gets posted.

Denver Dan

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:35 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

It's been sporadic posting for three days now for me. I post and it posts several hours later, or it posts the next day, or it never posts.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:57 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Tony" tdale@xtra.co.nz

I get that too. Also spontaneous re appearances of deleted emails

________________________________
From: HAL9000 <jrswebhome@yahoo.com>
To: macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, 13 September 2013 1:35 PM
Subject: [macsupport] Re: Yahoo Problems


 
It's been sporadic posting for three days now for me. I post and it posts several hours later, or it posts the next day, or it never posts.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:16 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Yeap, seeing the same thing.

On Sep 12, 2013, at 6:35 PM, HAL9000 wrote:

It's been sporadic posting for three days now for me. I post and it posts several hours later, or it posts the next day, or it never posts.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:37 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Charles Carroll" charlesmarkcarroll

Try Mailplane or Zimbra Desktop.
On Sep 12, 2013 9:25 PM, "Jann" <jannsmailinglists@yahoo.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> I am having problems with my MAC mail. I have had my Gmail account set up
> in MAC mail since getting my MAC computer. Recently I read that Gmail was
> making some changes and was dividing up your mail into three mailbox
> folders. When I stopped getting my Gmail through MAC mail I thought this
> was why I stopped getting my mail. I read up and Google told how to change
> it back to the old way, so I did. I got my mail, but only for a short time.
> So I went in and changed it back to the three folders. Again I got mail
> sometimes, but not others. I got my Gmail on Sep 9th and haven't had any
> since! At this point I don't know where I am at. Apparently whatever is set
> up works, then does not work. I get my Gail just fine on my iPhone and my
> iPad. It is just the computer that is not always getting it. I also thought
> signing out of Google might help, but it didn't. Any ideas??
>
> I am afraid of loosing my saved mail if I delete the account and set up a
> new one. I also have several folders I file mail into if it is things like
> signup mail, certain genealogy mail or other such things.
>
> It just makes no sense since it works sometimes and sometimes it does not.
>
> Jann
>
>

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:31 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

fussyoldfart

How do I edit the list of previous contacts (in or out) that is
stored in "Mail". If I begin to type in an address Mail throws
up suggestions but I find that my computer now holds many
hundreds of these most of which I don't need or want because they
result from a single email exchange sometime in the past.


I am not talking about my address book, these must be stored
somewhere else for "Mail" to make the suggestions. I would like
to do some weeding of this overgrown list.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:01 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

In Mac OS X 10.2 and higher,

1. Launch Mail
2. Click the Window menu
3. Choose Address History or Previous Recipients.
4. Select the address or addresses to remove, then click Remove from
History.

I think you can also do this in some versions of Mail by doing a right
click on a recipient's name that is in the To field in a message but
this is basically for single previous addresses.

Denver Dan

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 19:31:00 -0700, fussyoldfart@gmail.com wrote:
>
>
> How do I edit the list of previous contacts (in or out) that is
> stored in "Mail". If I begin to type in an address Mail throws up
> suggestions but I find that my computer now holds many hundreds of
> these most of which I don't need or want because they result from a
> single email exchange sometime in the past.
>
>
> I am not talking about my address book, these must be stored
> somewhere else for "Mail" to make the suggestions. I would like to do
> some weeding of this overgrown list.
>

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:29 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger


On Sep 12, 2013, at 7:31 PM, <fussyoldfart@gmail.com> <fussyoldfart@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do I edit the list of previous contacts (in or out) that is stored in "Mail". If I begin to type in an address Mail throws up suggestions but I find that my computer now holds many hundreds of these most of which I don't need or want because they result from a single email exchange sometime in the past.

In Mail:
Window menu --> Previous Recipients

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

Apple just released Mac OS X 10.8.5 and one of the bug it may fix is a problem displaying messages in Apple's Mail program.

It seems several group members have mentioned this problem.
- - - - -
This update:
• Fixes an issue that may prevent Mail from displaying messages
• Improves AFP file transfer performance over 802.11ac Wi-Fi
• Resolves an issue that may prevent a screen saver from starting automatically
• Improves Xsan reliability
• Improves reliability when transferring large files over Ethernet
• Improves performance when authenticating to an Open Directory server
• Addresses an issue that prevented a smart card from unlocking preference panes in System Preferences
• Contains the improvements included in MacBook Air (Mid 2013) Software Update 1.0

Read more at http://macdailynews.com/2013/09/12/apple-releases-os-x-mountain-lion-10-8-5/#F7VCewfIuZvTIrpV.99

Denver Dan

[|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|]
iSent from iDan's iPad

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:11 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Daly Jessup" dalyjessup


On Sep 12, 2013, at 4:41 AM, Otto Nikolaus wrote:

> hows that even (?) in Windows, it's easy to avoid closing apps unless you really want to, especially if you use keyboard shortcuts. Which Windows version is that, BTW?
>

Windows 7. Thought I think this behavior has been forever.

Daly

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:13 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy. I'm copy/pasting some responses that seem to have gotten lost
in the Yahoo world.

This is a weird issue in Pages and a significant feature that is
missing or doesn't work.

Fortunately there are multiple work arounds for changing case and other
editing functions.

Try WordService first and see what you think of it.

WordService

This a a great free Service utility.

Download from: <https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10523/wordservice>
and visit the maker's web site also.

WordService provides 37 editing functions such as changing case,
sentence case, Initial caps, straight and smart quotes, removing line
endings and beginnings and attachments and links , sorting lines,
various date and time formats, paths, and more.

WordService works with a variety of Macintosh programs as a Service
including TextEdit, Pages, Mail, Stickies, Safari, and more.

After downloading, decompress the downloaded file and add the utility
within named

WordService.service

to your User Account/Library/Services folder.

Then restart your Mac or log out of your user account and log back in.

You may need to check something and turn on some of the 37 features by
checking on the check boxes in

System Preferences >Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts tab, then select
Services in left column.

Then scroll through the items in the right window pane and check on
some or all of the new Services added by WordService.

The reason for this is that some of these services may have shortcut
commands that conflict with other shortcut commands. You may need to
experiment with changing the shortcut if you use one that you need that
conflicts.

Then open Pages, open a document with text, select some text, choose
the Pages menu and pick Services and you should see the WordService
items you checked to turn on in Keyboard Shortcuts.

Same Services will work in many applications including the GyazMail
email program I'm using to write this message.

Good luck.

Denver Dan

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 12:02:58 -0400, Jim Saklad wrote:
>> I have a fairly simple question regarding Pages and formatting text.

Where text is all in capitals is there a way to then highlight all
the text in all-caps and change it to all small letters?

I tried what Pages help advises but that doesn't change anything.
>

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:15 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy. Repeated response

I think there are some significant new things in the iPhone 5S.

64-bit A7 processor AND 64-bit OS 7 lay the groundwork for use of more
than 4 GB of RAM in the future. In turn this will mean faster apps and
apps that can do a lot more.

Just as the iPhone 5 model really improved the camera the 5S takes it
farther. This is important because iPhones are now the more frequently
used camera in the world or very close to that mark. A better camera
in low and mixed lighting conditions is a good thing.

The Fingerprint sensor does more than just unlock the phone. It also
lets the owner authenticate App Store and iTunes purchases with a touch
instead of typing in passwords. I hope it also means a major reduction
in stolen iPhones. On the Washington, D.C. regional Metro subway
system the iPhone is the most frequently stolen thing.

I'm looking forward to trying the new feature of iOS 7 and have read
several long reviews with video demos of it. The new Control Center
looks good.

With the two new phones, Apple stock dropped more than 5% today because
the market is always disappointed when Apple doesn't announce a new
magic ray gun, or a beam-me-up-Scotty transporter.

Denver Dan

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 22:58:04 +0000, Tony wrote:
> Underwhelming.

Faster CPU and 64 bit? You will see little real world difference
Camera upgrade, very good
Fingerprint Sensor? Yawn

iOS7, yes a great upgrade but we get that free for iPhone 4 and up.

As board told TC to innovate, next year will be the year that Apple's
iPhone takes the world by storm, there will be the larger option and
real innovation. I hope for useful and reliable gestures

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:15 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy. Another repeated response

According to several articles on the technology of the Fingerprint
Touch ID technology the iPhone 5S does not store an image of the
fingerprint but rather stores a mathematical set of coordinates for the
"ridges and valleys" and other aspects of fingerprint ID technology.

According to Apple the data for a fingerprint is stored only on the
iPhone 5S and not on an Apple server or on iCloud.

Here's an article on the topic that "touches" on other efforts to make
fingerprint ID work.

<http://readwrite.com/2013/09/11/goodbye-swipe-to-unlock-hello-touch-id#awesm=~oheARWZmVYuxYa>

Denver Dan

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 10:40:30 -0400, Jim Saklad wrote:
>>> How are 3rd-parties prevented from storing, re-using, or selling
your fingerprint?
>>
Thats a good point, particularly where Androids are susceptible to
malware.

The Fingerprint sensor is just a gimmick, adds a minor efficiency
gain to those that lock phones. Its good marketing, and for some, a
nice feature, so it is a nice wee innovation.
>
As at least one publication has pointed out, solid fingerprint
technology make a device much more useful in business/government use.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:16 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy. Again a repeated response

We've seen several posts on the new iPhone 5S A7 64-bit chip.

There is another chip in the new iPhone 5S that should be investigated.

The M7 chip (Motion 7 chip) is described as:

"Apple describes the M7 as a sidekick to the A7 chip. It's there to
lighten the workload of the A7 by measuring the motion data from the
accelerometer, gyroscope, and compass. It continuously measures motion
data and grabs this information without relying on the A7 chip. "

One of the benefits of this M7 chip is that it is a low power consumer
and uses a lot less battery juice than the A7 chip.

This could mean better battery life for the iPhone 5S as developers
releases more apps that use the several motion sensors without having
to use the A7 chip. Several articles on this topic have talked about a
new generation of sports, exercise, off road, and gymnastic apps that
should be forthcoming.

Denver Dan

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:27 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger


On Sep 12, 2013, at 2:12 PM, HAL9000 wrote:

> I was asking too much of bluetooth. I wondered if I could surf the web from my iPhone bluetooth connection to the iMac rather than surf through my ATT connection. Apparently not.

Yes, you can.

However, you do it via Wi-Fi/Airport, rather than via Bluetooth. See:
http://is.gd/UUQ3rA

Of course, if you already have a wireless router set up in your house/office, you just connect to that via Wi-Fi.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________