9/20/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9774

15 New Messages

Digest #9774
1a
Re: New IOS by "TimeFramePhoto"
1b
Re: New IOS by "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01
1c
Re: New IOS by "Regina Camargo" rmccamargo
3a
Re: what I PAD to buy by "Patti A Robertson" parpiano
3b
Re: what I PAD to buy by "yash@aol.com" dalepavlicek
3c
Re: what I PAD to buy by "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01
3d
Re: what I PAD to buy by "Patti A Robertson" parpiano
4a
Re: YouTube comments issues by "Dave C" davec2468
5a
Re: Lock Screen Vulnerability by "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01
8
Control Center drag to open by "Tim O'Donoghue" timodonoghue

Messages

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:48 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"TimeFramePhoto"

Nope, that gesture just "hides" the app, similar to pressing the home button. The app will remain running in the background.

Dane

On Sep 20, 2013, at 12:56 PM, Carol Corley wrote:

> You can also use 4 fingers to close apps. And folders close just by touching the screen, which is cool.
> Carol
>
>
> Denver Dan wrote:
> To close any app on any iDevice just press the Home button once which
> is how it has always been done.
>
> Sent from my iPad Mini
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/macsupportcentral/files/faq.htm>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:10 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

> I guess not on the double-click of Home. Feeling a bit chagrined.
>
> It's odd to have missed something like that for years but then I bet
> I'm not the only one to have missed it.
>
> Denver Dan

On the other hand, it's gratifying for us to teach the old dog a new trick....

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@icloud.com

Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:26 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Regina Camargo" rmccamargo

I'm in...

---
Regina Camargo

On 20/09/2013, at 14:45, Denver Dan <denver.dan@verizon.net> wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> Regina and Denver Dan will join in a special group of those who feel
> chagrined about missing this.
>
> :-)
>
> Denver Dan
>
> On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:07:44 -0300, Regina Camargo wrote:
> > Me too.
> >
> > ---
> > Regina Camargo
> >
> > On 20/09/2013, at 07:27, Denver Dan <denver.dan@verizon.net> wrote:
> >> Howdy.
> >>
> >> I guess not on the double-click of Home. Feeling a bit chagrined.
> >>
> >> It's odd to have missed something like that for years but then I bet
> >> I'm not the only one to have missed it.
>

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:59 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"J." epsongroups

Jennifer wrote:
I use Safari for my default browser but am trying to find out if there
is a way to set a different default browser for Mac Mail only.
Does that make sense?

I don't believe you can set the default browser to anything app-specific
such as Mail, etc. But you can set another browser to be the default one
(this you have to set through Safari > Preferences > General and select
there.).

Then you can set your other browser's default opening screen/page to
your Mail login page, though that is somewhat "permanent&quot; each time you
launch that browser. This is also set through the Preferences. If you
don't use that browser for anything else, then that would really not be
an issue. You could for instance, use Firefox to get your Mail only, and
use Safari for everything else. You can of course type in a new URL and
use it like any other browser, just that your opening or home page is
the Mail login; nothing else is cobbled by that setting.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:24 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Patti A Robertson" parpiano

Get either the iPad 4 or the mini depending on how you think you'll use it. I have both the iPad 2 and the mini and find the iPad 2 to be too heavy to hold to read for long periods of time. The mini is much lighter. But some people say that the mini is too small for them.

Just get the newest version. You might want to wait a month - I've heard rumors that the new generation of iPads is about to come out (in October), and then the price for the iPad 4 will be a bit less.

Patti
On Sep 20, 2013, at 8:13 AM, yash@aol.com wrote:

>
> I have a samsung tablet, 7.2, which is a pure headache to get to perform as it should. I looked at a friends I Pad, a early one, and it seemed much better performer than the samsung. It had both 4g and wi fi. which I would wand considering when traveling wi fi is often very poor. I will use it for email 99% of the time. If looking on say Ebay, what would be the best series of the I pad to look for? ,or stay away from. Better to look at I pad mini?
> thanks
> dale wt4t
>
>

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:35 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"yash@aol.com" dalepavlicek

Patti
thanks for the info.
dale

-----Original Message-----
From: Patti A Robertson <pattiandken@charter.net>
To: macsupportcentral <macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Fri, Sep 20, 2013 2:24 pm
Subject: Re: [macsupport] what I PAD to buy

Get either the iPad 4 or the mini depending on how you think you'll use it. I have both the iPad 2 and the mini and find the iPad 2 to be too heavy to hold to read for long periods of time. The mini is much lighter. But some people say that the mini is too small for them.

Just get the newest version. You might want to wait a month - I've heard rumors that the new generation of iPads is about to come out (in October), and then the price for the iPad 4 will be a bit less.

Patti

On Sep 20, 2013, at 8:13 AM, yash@aol.com wrote:

I have a samsung tablet, 7.2, which is a pure headache to get to perform as it should. I looked at a friends I Pad, a early one, and it seemed much better performer than the samsung. It had both 4g and wi fi. which I would wand considering when traveling wi fi is often very poor. I will use it for email 99% of the time. If looking on say Ebay, what would be the best series of the I pad to look for? ,or stay away from. Better to look at I pad mini?
thanks
dale wt4t

Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:25 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

> I have a samsung tablet, 7.2, which is a pure headache to get to perform as it should. I looked at a friends I Pad, a early one, and it seemed much better performer than the samsung. It had both 4g and wi fi. which I would wand considering when traveling wi fi is often very poor.

If it had 4G (LTE), it was no older than March 2012 (3rd generation).

> I will use it for email 99% of the time. If looking on say Ebay, what would be the best series of the I pad to look for? ,or stay away from. Better to look at I pad mini?

To decide between full-size iPad and Mini, you *really* need to go to a store and actually handle them, and type on them, because that choice is very individual.

The Mini is essentially an iPad2 in a smaller package (same number of pixels as an iPad2 squeezed into a smaller screen, and uses the same processor chip, A5, as the iPad2). Except that the Mini also has 4G/LTE.

If you are going to look for used, I would suggest the iPad 3 rather than the 2 -- cost more but significantly better value.

And although you intend to use it mostly for email, I will bet that you will expand your usage fairly quickly....

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@icloud.com

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:00 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Patti A Robertson" parpiano

You're welcome - let us know what you get!

Patti

On Sep 20, 2013, at 11:35 AM, "yash@aol.com" <yash@aol.com> wrote:

> Patti
>
> thanks for the info.
> dale
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Patti A Robertson <pattiandken@charter.net>
> To: macsupportcentral <macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com>
> Sent: Fri, Sep 20, 2013 2:24 pm
> Subject: Re: [macsupport] what I PAD to buy
>
>
> Get either the iPad 4 or the mini depending on how you think you'll use it. I have both the iPad 2 and the mini and find the iPad 2 to be too heavy to hold to read for long periods of time. The mini is much lighter. But some people say that the mini is too small for them.
>
> Just get the newest version. You might want to wait a month - I've heard rumors that the new generation of iPads is about to come out (in October), and then the price for the iPad 4 will be a bit less.
>
> Patti
> On Sep 20, 2013, at 8:13 AM, yash@aol.com wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> I have a samsung tablet, 7.2, which is a pure headache to get to perform as it should. I looked at a friends I Pad, a early one, and it seemed much better performer than the samsung. It had both 4g and wi fi. which I would wand considering when traveling wi fi is often very poor. I will use it for email 99% of the time. If looking on say Ebay, what would be the best series of the I pad to look for? ,or stay away from. Better to look at I pad mini?
>> thanks
>> dale wt4t
>>
>
>
>

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:28 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Dave C" davec2468

Solved.

The comment ended with "How much $$?" I removed the characters "$$" and I was able to post the comment. I also tried replacing them with "AA" and that also worked.

For some future list member to benefit from ...

Thanks,
Dave

Firefox 23.0.1
OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
2011 Mini 2.7 GHz dual i7 / 16 GB / 250 GB & 750 GB

-=-=-=-

> Sometimes when I want to post a comment on a YouTube video page I get an "Error, try again" message.
>
> I've restarted Firefox (my default browser), removed all add-ons, deleted all cookies (and then restarted), tried both Safari and Chrome browsers. I get the same error.
>
> But sometimes I have no problems at all (with all add-ons installed).
>
> Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a solution?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:34 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

>> I just saw this on the news and googled for the information. Looks like we will be seeing a fix soon for this soon. Here it is:
>> <http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/19/ios-7-lock-screen-vulnerability-discovered-gives-access-to-photos-and-social-sharing/>
>> Tony
>
> Apple has just released iOS 7.0.1 which may be a fix for the lock screen issue.
> iOS 7.0.1 has to do with a Touch ID and purchase "vulnerability."
> Denver Dan

<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/19/ios-7-lock-screen-vulnerability-reported-and-heres-how-to-fix/>

> iOS 7 lock screen vulnerability reported, and here's how to fix it
>
> It took less than 24 hours for someone to find a way to break through iOS 7's passcode feature, and wouldn't you know it: the new Control Center is to blame. By going through a rather simple series of swipes and taps, a user can bypass the lock screen on some iOS 7 devices. You start in the Control Center, switch to the Timer, then double-tap the home button which lets you access the multitasking feature, allowing you to browse apps without having to unlock the device.
>
> I say "some" because there's a rather simple tweak you can perform that will prevent someone from using this nasty trick on your own iPhone or iPad: Simply go to Settings -> Control Center and toggle the "Access on Lock Screen" option to "off." Ta-da! You're safe!

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@icloud.com

Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:08 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

> Again this morning Time Machine reported "Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder." When this occurred a couple of days ago Disk Utility Repair reported a good disk. This morning I tried a "Repair Disk" and it stopped quickly saying "Error: Couldn't unmount disk." So now I am running a verify.
>
> Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong aside from a bad drive?

Presuming the TM drive appears on your desktop, click on it and do a "Get Info:.
Perhaps it has little or no free space.

If you own another drive utility, like Drive Warrior, you could attck it with that.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@icloud.com

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:39 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim McGarvie" jgarv2002

Thanks for all the great info!

Best,

Jim
Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 20, 2013, at 10:27, Denver Dan <denver.dan@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> Howdy.
>
> Difficult to know whether you have a hard drive that has become corrupt
> in a software sense or has developed a hardware problem.
>
> Drive cases from Western Digital and Seagate that are part of their
> very cheap MyBook and FreeAgent series are notorious for the case/ports
> and the bridge chip in the case to go bad. I've experienced this with
> both brands. The issue is usually with the case components and less
> often with the drive itself.
>
> I have an OWC Mercury external HD for Time Machine via FireWire 800 and
> it's worked reliably for years.
>
> Some types of Repair can take a long time to finish on a Time Machine
> drive so stick with it
>
> A good program, owned by a number of group members including myself, is
> Disk Warrior. It is aimed squarely at resurrecting a hard drive that
> has experienced directory problems and it usually does a very good
> job.
>
> If you get a new external backup drive, I'd suggest looking at the OWC
> online people and their Mercury series of hard drives. The cases are
> well made and they have multiple ports such as USB, FireWire, eSATA
> which makes for better flexibility.
>
> Buffalo makes a "mini" portable HD with Thunderbolt and USB.
>
> Some Mac users are investigating a lot of new Thunderbolt products now
> on the market such as the Sonnet Echo 15 dock adapter that is really
> interesting and which has space for you to add your own DVD/BD burner,
> your own HD, and has a bunch of ports for USB, FireWire, eSATA,
> Thunderbolt, and audio and video.
>
> For a good introduction to current Thunderbolt products of all kinds
> check here:
>
> <https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products>
>
> A suggestion if you get a new external HD is to also get an inexpensive
> drive dock such as the Thermaltake BlacX. The basic model has USB.
> You can then remove the problematic HD and insert it in the drive dock,
> reformat it, and see if it works in a different "case," or, in this
> case a drive dock.
>
> If looking for Thunderbolt drive docks, they are still more expensive
> but dropping in price, and one to check is the RocketStor 5212 by
> HighPoint. It's very similar to the BlacX but has only a Thunderbolt
> port.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Denver Dan
>
> On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 07:04:12 -0700, Jim McGarvie wrote:
> > Again this morning Time Machine reported "Unable to complete backup.
> > An error occurred while creating the backup folder." When this
> > occurred a couple of days ago Disk Utility Repair reported a good
> > disk. This morning I tried a "Repair Disk" and it stopped quickly
> > saying "Error: Couldn't unmount disk." So now I am running a verify.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong aside from a bad drive? I
> > am about ready to order a new drive, and looking for recommendations.
> > I would go for Thunderbolt but for the fact I might need to restore
> > files to my mid-2010 MBP. Can that machine use a USB 3.0 drive? With
> > 2.0 speed of course.
> >
> > Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.
> >
> > Jim
>

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:45 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim McGarvie" jgarv2002

Thanks Jim. I did that and don't remember how much was free but it was something over 100 GB as I recall. As you know TM deletes old backups to make room for new but I don't know if the free space it maintains is adequate.

Best,

Jim
Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 20, 2013, at 12:08, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@icloud.com> wrote:
>
> > Again this morning Time Machine reported "Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder." When this occurred a couple of days ago Disk Utility Repair reported a good disk. This morning I tried a "Repair Disk" and it stopped quickly saying "Error: Couldn't unmount disk." So now I am running a verify.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong aside from a bad drive?
>
> Presuming the TM drive appears on your desktop, click on it and do a "Get Info:.
> Perhaps it has little or no free space.
>
> If you own another drive utility, like Drive Warrior, you could attck it with that.
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@icloud.com
>
>

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:00 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

What is this feature in the new iTunes? What changes are they talking about? Is it just a list of recent plays? Is it a list of songs that have changed in iCloud storage?

If I manually change some ID3 data in song files, is something going to change my ID3 data if it's stored in the iCloud someday?

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:38 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Tim O'Donoghue" timodonoghue

I upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS 7 yesterday. No issues at al with the
process via WiFi.

One thing that didn't seem to work as described was the Control Center.
Supposedly dragging from the bottom of the screen does the trick, but I
could only get it to work in about 1 out of 10 tries. I have the phone
in an OtterBox Defender case, and thought maybe it was affecting the
operation, so I removed it. No real difference.

I finally figured out that the Control Center needs only a short
distance for the drag - sometimes only a distance of 1/2 to 3/4 of an
inch - not the longer one of 1/3 to 1/2 the screen height.

I'm passing this along in case anyone else has the same issue.

Tim