9/22/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9778

2 New Messages

Digest #9778
1a
Re: iTunes upgrades by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
1b
Re: iTunes upgrades by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

Messages

Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:50 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

From what you say, you don't need iTunes at all. Yes, it's a library app
that makes it easy to import and play music from CD and elsewhere, but you
*could* import your CDs using Finder and play the files using QuickTime or
VLC (iTunes actually uses QT to play media files; VLC is a free app that
plays just about anything).

Otto

On 22 September 2013 00:34, Patsy Price <beyondwords@shaw.ca> wrote:

> From now on, how can I know which of the frequent iTunes upgrades I
> need, especially for security reasons? If I upgrade iTunes, do I have
> to take the bad with the good? (I've heard a lot of negatives about
> the latest upgrade, but they may not be relevant to me.) Should I
> just keep accepting upgrades as long as they're available for my
> setup?
>
> I barely use iTunes on my mid-007 iMac with Snow Leopard 10.6.8
> (where I'll stay as long as I can in order to keep Eudora). I now
> have iTunes 11.0.5. I don't have a smartphone of any kind or an iPad
> or iPod or even a laptop (except one with Windows 97, which I use
> only for my accounts in Excel so I can work in a different room from
> my iMac).
>
> (I still have a G4 tower with Snow Leopard, which I fire up only
> occasionally, mainly to access old files. I have no idea what version
> of iTunes is on it.)
>
> I have a total of 9 albums in iTunes on my iMac hard drive, all saved
> from CDs. I occasionally listen to a CD without saving it. I don't
> think I've ever listened to Internet radio. I don't remember ever
> playing a podcast. I have never bought any music via the Internet. I
> have never bought anything from the Apple Store. I don't even know
> what else iTunes can do. I might someday want to learn how to play
> music from the website of CBC (our beloved national radio network).
>
> I do watch occasional YouTube videos. I don't even know if iTunes has
> anything to do with those.
>
> And on all the Mac discussion lists I belong to I have
> deleted--almost always without reading--all the messages about iTunes
> (and other topics) because I assumed they weren't relevant to me.
>
> Now I'm humbly asking--what IS relevant to me?
>

Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:53 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

Patsy doesn't have any iOS devices.

Otto

On 22 September 2013 09:32, Christopher Collins <
maclist@analogdigital.com.au> wrote:

>
>
> One must upgrade iTunes to v11.1 to be able to see iOS7 in iTunes.
>