10/20/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 9185

1 New Message

Digest #9185
1
Weird display bug by "James Robertson" jamesrob328i

Message

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:48 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"James Robertson" jamesrob328i

The other day, I was exploring a bit in

OS X 10.8.2> System Preferences>Desktop & Screen Saver,

in the Screen Saver panel.

I don't recall ever using the "Shifting Tiles" panel before. I set it to start after 10 minutes of inactivity. That all works, but when I return to my Mac and wake up the blanked screen by clicking my mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard, all I see is the slideshow (the log in dialog doesn't appear). If I move the mouse, what happens is bizarre: a square area encompassing the area required to paint all the pixels of my cursor appears and moves with the mouse, and almost like the original MacPaint erasor, it eliminates pixels of the screen to gradually make Apple's default gray linen screen background and the icons for my account login choices appear.

I've rebooted my Mac Pro a few times, and that doesn't eliminate this weird behavior. I have two monitors set up as an extended desktop, and the "pixel erasing" occurs on both of them. I also have a rMacBook Pro, and the odd behavior does NOT appear there.

Anyone seen this before? Is it likely a problem with my graphics card? (Early 2008 Mac Pro Dual Quad Core with ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB graphics processor).

Any excorcism worth trying?

Thanks so much,

--
Jim Robertson

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE