10/26/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 9196

5 New Messages

Digest #9196
1a
Re: Password program by "N.A. Nada"
2a
2b
2c
Re: iPad for a Windows user? by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
2d

Messages

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:09 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

I've been using CallPod Keeper for several years now and I am generally happy. I do not use the iCloud feature, though.

On Oct 25, 2012, at 7:33 PM, Jann wrote:

Can anyone suggest a password program for my iPad/iPhone and MAC? My son suggested one to me which I downloaded. It required another program be installed, and I could not get it to install. My son tried too. (I am thinking Password Keeper or something like that)

Thanks,
Jann

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:50 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"bj" jblair44

I certainly had no trouble learning to use an iPod Touch, coming from XP.
I then got the iPad1 as a sort of giant size Touch. :-)

I was 65 at the time.

Does he want *only* to surf & email or do you think he may also want to
download/store/play videos & music, read ebooks, etc. that would be so easy
from the comfort of the living room sofa/chair? It doesn't sound like you
think he's going to want to write & number crunch (i.e. "work") out of the
office -- you *can* do that on a tablet but it's not as easy or comfortable
to do. I do the "work" in my office (which isn't a dark corner!) and the fun
part in the living room/bedroom/rec-room....

5-6 years is too far out to even think what might by then be available!
And Windows is changing a lot too, so no matter what he does <whenever>
may mean a lot of adapting.

Maybe now that so many of the new tablets are out he could go to Best Buy &
actually look them over, try out the different types (iOS, Android, Windows)
to see what he might like.
bj

-----Original Message-----
From: Denver Dan
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:59 PM
To: macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [macsupport] iPad for a Windows user?

Millions of Windows users have bought iPads.

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 19:01:16 +0000, Ken wrote:
> Neither my brother or I, both in our 60s, have any experience with
> tablets or iPads. Neither one of us use smartphones, either. I'm a
> Mac user, he's only been a Windows user. His one complaint about his
> desktop PC is that he's confined to his dark, computer room when
> using it.
>
> With Christmas coming, I'm wondering if an iPad would be appropriate
> for him, to get him out of that dark office while he surfs the web
> and does his emails.
>
> Or, would it be better to get him an Android or Windows tablet, based
> on his history with PCs? Or should I just wait and let him get a
> Windows laptop when he upgrades in 5 or 6 more years!
>
> I reiterate that he'd like to get out of that dark office when he's
> computing, and my limited understanding of tablets is that he would
> be able to. I just don't know if an iPad is the best choice for a
> Windows Vista user.
>
> Any advice is appreciated, Merry Christmas, and thanks.
> Ken S.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:03 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Ken" avliska


> Does he want *only* to surf & email or do you think he may also want to
> download/store/play videos & music, read ebooks, etc. that would be so easy
> from the comfort of the living room sofa/chair? It doesn't sound like you
> think he's going to want to write & number crunch (i.e. "work") out of the
> office -- you *can* do that on a tablet but it's not as easy or comfortable
> to do. I do the "work" in my office (which isn't a dark corner!) and the fun
> part in the living room/bedroom/rec-room....
>
> 5-6 years is too far out to even think what might by then be available!
> And Windows is changing a lot too, so no matter what he does <whenever>
> may mean a lot of adapting.
>
He just upgraded from Windows 98 this year, so he keeps computers a looooong time.

I like the suggestion of buying a lamp, but I think he wants a window view, too!

I don't really understand what a tablet offers someone like me who has a laptop. Seems that having a SS drive makes the laptop light enough to carry around, and having a keyboard is essential for typing emails. However, for someone stuck with a desktop, I'm thinking that the portability of a tablet would be a lot cheaper than a full-blown laptop.
Ken S.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:42 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

Get him the iPad.

I received one in June as a gift.

It is astonishing. I cart it around the house.

I have some vision issues that see my eyesight changing from morning to
evening, from far sighted to more normal. It makes it almost
impossible to read a newspaper in the morning. I use special eye drops
that help.

I had really seen my amount of book reading drop significantly over the
past years.

Reading books on the iPad has been great. In all of the book programs
that I've tried the feature of adjusting font style and font size and
the ability to go from a normal daytime black text on white/sepia
background to the nighttime white text on a black background has been
just great.

I'm back to reading a lot of books again.

I've now read books in these apps:

Apple's iBooks.
Amazon's Kindle app.
Barnes & Nobel's Nook app.
Google's Playbook app.

I also have the Apple PodCasts app for iPad.

Without a doubt the Apple iBooks app is superior for many reasons.
Better text quality on screen, ability to buy a book or download a
podcast directly in the app. Features for underlining, highlighting,
marking passages, notes, and definitions of words and terms.

The Kindle app has a large selection of digital books but you have to
buy/activate them via your web browser. The Kindle app is not quite as
good at text quality as the Apple iBooks.

I use the iPad for a lot of other things, too.

Note that you should check the different types of iPad available.

The "standard" type has storage capacity choices and has WiFi.

A more expensive model has both WiFi and cell data. You can activate
the cell data feature when you want to and don't have to have a long
term plan. It can be month by month or kept off when not activated.
So if you take a vacation away from a WiFi link but near cell phone
towers you can use the cell data feature.

And yes, the new Apple Maps app is sometimes squirrelly. I tested it
by checking places where I have lived and was dismayed to see that all
the roads on the tiny island of Craig, Alaska (about 60 miles west of
Ketchikan, Alaska), were in the Pacific Ocean. Terrible thing. But
most other places were OK. I think Apple's Maps will improve rapidly.
BTW there is in Apple's Maps a button for reporting problems and
errors.

Denver Dan

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 19:01:16 +0000, Ken wrote:
> Neither my brother or I, both in our 60s, have any experience with
> tablets or iPads. Neither one of us use smartphones, either. I'm a
> Mac user, he's only been a Windows user. His one complaint about his
> desktop PC is that he's confined to his dark, computer room when
> using it.
>
> With Christmas coming, I'm wondering if an iPad would be appropriate
> for him, to get him out of that dark office while he surfs the web
> and does his emails.
>
> Or, would it be better to get him an Android or Windows tablet, based
> on his history with PCs? Or should I just wait and let him get a
> Windows laptop when he upgrades in 5 or 6 more years!

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:54 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Bekah" bekalex

But wouldn't the trouble with an iPad be that you need a computer to sync it to? Perhaps he should simply have a nice little laptop -

Bekah

On Oct 26, 2012, at 7:42 AM, Denver Dan <denver.dan@verizon.net> wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> Get him the iPad.
>
> I received one in June as a gift.
>
> It is astonishing. I cart it around the house.
>
> I have some vision issues that see my eyesight changing from morning to
> evening, from far sighted to more normal. It makes it almost
> impossible to read a newspaper in the morning. I use special eye drops
> that help.
>
> I had really seen my amount of book reading drop significantly over the
> past years.
>
> Reading books on the iPad has been great. In all of the book programs
> that I've tried the feature of adjusting font style and font size and
> the ability to go from a normal daytime black text on white/sepia
> background to the nighttime white text on a black background has been
> just great.
>
> I'm back to reading a lot of books again.
>
> I've now read books in these apps:
>
> Apple's iBooks.
> Amazon's Kindle app.
> Barnes & Nobel's Nook app.
> Google's Playbook app.
>
> I also have the Apple PodCasts app for iPad.
>
> Without a doubt the Apple iBooks app is superior for many reasons.
> Better text quality on screen, ability to buy a book or download a
> podcast directly in the app. Features for underlining, highlighting,
> marking passages, notes, and definitions of words and terms.
>
> The Kindle app has a large selection of digital books but you have to
> buy/activate them via your web browser. The Kindle app is not quite as
> good at text quality as the Apple iBooks.
>
> I use the iPad for a lot of other things, too.
>
> Note that you should check the different types of iPad available.
>
> The "standard" type has storage capacity choices and has WiFi.
>
> A more expensive model has both WiFi and cell data. You can activate
> the cell data feature when you want to and don't have to have a long
> term plan. It can be month by month or kept off when not activated.
> So if you take a vacation away from a WiFi link but near cell phone
> towers you can use the cell data feature.
>
> And yes, the new Apple Maps app is sometimes squirrelly. I tested it
> by checking places where I have lived and was dismayed to see that all
> the roads on the tiny island of Craig, Alaska (about 60 miles west of
> Ketchikan, Alaska), were in the Pacific Ocean. Terrible thing. But
> most other places were OK. I think Apple's Maps will improve rapidly.
> BTW there is in Apple's Maps a button for reporting problems and
> errors.
>
> Denver Dan
>
>
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 19:01:16 +0000, Ken wrote:
>> Neither my brother or I, both in our 60s, have any experience with
>> tablets or iPads. Neither one of us use smartphones, either. I'm a
>> Mac user, he's only been a Windows user. His one complaint about his
>> desktop PC is that he's confined to his dark, computer room when
>> using it.
>>
>> With Christmas coming, I'm wondering if an iPad would be appropriate
>> for him, to get him out of that dark office while he surfs the web
>> and does his emails.
>>
>> Or, would it be better to get him an Android or Windows tablet, based
>> on his history with PCs? Or should I just wait and let him get a
>> Windows laptop when he upgrades in 5 or 6 more years!
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE