10/15/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 9176

11 New Messages

Digest #9176
1
OS X system font by "DaveC" davec2468
3a
Re: Deleting one of 2 disk partitions by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
3c
Re: Deleting one of 2 disk partitions by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
4a
5a
startup from sleep by "yash@aol.com" dalepavlicek
5b
Re: startup from sleep by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
6a
Re: Mail program on Macs by "bobbystar" bobbystar

Messages

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:05 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"DaveC" davec2468

I'm a latecomer to the Lion party, skipping Lion and going right to ML.

Has there been any options (from Apple or a 3rd party) to make the
system font a greater contrast than it is right out of the box?
(Using the "Increase contrast" control in the System Preferences >
Universal Access pane doesn't count.)

Thanks,
Dave
--
2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 / 4 GB / 750 GB
OS X 10.8.2

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:19 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Eric" emanmb

I have an old iMovie project and if I open the project file in Textedit I see this at the top of the page:
iMovie Project File

External Version: 2.0
Version: 0.9

If I were to guess I'd say I made this project with iMovie version 2.0.

Presently I have iMovie app versions 3,4, and 9. IIRC, opening an old project in a new version will change the project file in some way creating all kinds of issues, so I'm holding off opening this project in any version I presently have.
Going back to iMovie 2 isn't possible as I think it is OS 9 only and I no longer have an OS 9 capable machine.
To add further confusion to this situation is the naming of this app as it seems to have 2 names: the iLife name as in '06 etc, and the actual version # that the finder will give me (command I). I can ONLY go by what the finder tells me as far as the version # as opposed to the '06, etc monikers frequently used for this app.

So my question is, and I've seen it many times via google without an answer, is there a way to import this iMovie 2 project INTACT w/transitions effects etc., into iMovie 3.0.3 or 4.0.1 or 9.0.4? There's many hours of work synching music to video, effects, cuts and transitions that I want to keep intact.
Many of these projects were made before I had a DVD burner so I never made a full resolution copy and that's basically all I want to do. The worst case scenario is to use the source files and remake the videos that way, but that's close to starting over.

Thanks!

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:40 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

Not with Disk Utility unless it's changed recently. iPartition can do it
though.
<http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php>

You *will* take a full clone backup first, of course? ;)

Otto

On 15 October 2012 07:01, DaveC <davec2468@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have 2 partitions on the main boot drive. I want to delete the
> first one (appears uppermost in the image in the Disk Utililty >
> Partition pane.
>
> Once the first one is removed, can I expand the second (lower)
> partition to take over the now-free space without initializing &
> restoring data?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:50 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"DaveC" davec2468

Thanks Otto!

Cheers,
Dave

-=-=-=-

>Not with Disk Utility unless it's changed recently. iPartition can do it
>though.
><http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php>
>
>You *will* take a full clone backup first, of course? ;)
>
>Otto
>
>On 15 October 2012 07:01, DaveC <davec2468@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I have 2 partitions on the main boot drive. I want to delete the
>> first one (appears uppermost in the image in the Disk Utililty >
>> Partition pane.
>>
>> Once the first one is removed, can I expand the second (lower)
>> partition to take over the now-free space without initializing &
> > restoring data?

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:00 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

Dave, I think that using Disk Utility you can resize a partition to a
smaller size and do it non destructively but you can't resize to a
larger size.

Otto mentioned iPartition which should do this job but has a price.

There should also be a way to resize a partition non destructively
using Terminal commands at the Unix prompt.

<<<Terminal commands are not my area of expertise so I can only say to
be very CAREFUL, read and LEARN FIRST before using a command like this
in Terminal, and BACKUP first.>>>

You can also use the "man" command in Terminal to display Unix manual
information.

Here's an article on several aspects of resizing partitions in OS X.

<http://ideasarehere.net/2010/09/resizing-volumes-changing-partitions-mac-os-x-disk-utility-terminal/>

A final note is that the Boot Camp utility can resize a partition non
destructively but you can't access that function outside of Boot Camp
without using 3rd party utilities or Terminal.

Denver Dan

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 23:01:37 -0700, DaveC wrote:
> I have 2 partitions on the main boot drive. I want to delete the
> first one (appears uppermost in the image in the Disk Utililty >
> Partition pane.
>
> Once the first one is removed, can I expand the second (lower)
> partition to take over the now-free space without initializing &
> restoring data?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
> --
> 2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 / 4 GB / 750 GB
> OS X 10.8.2

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:24 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"titnaw" titnaw

Thanks to all for your help. But nothing worked. I will head for the Apple Store later today to see if they can assist me.
Thanks agi, I appreciate all the relpies

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@...> wrote:
>
> Howdy.
>
> 1. The Recovery partition is only available in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and
> Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
>
> 2. It's a normally invisible partition, created when you install Lion
> or Mountain Lion, and with a special version of OS X installed on this
> partition. It's for troubleshooting, re-installing the OS, doing a
> Disk Utility repair, and more.
>
> 3. Two easy ways to boot from the recovery partition.
>
> A. Restart and press Command and the "r" key. "r" for "recovery."
> B. Restart and press the Option key and then use the arrow keys to
> pick the Recovery partition system.
>
> After booting into the Recovery OS X you can use Disk Utility to check
> the HD and possibly repair problems. You can also just re-install the
> OS without erasing the normal hard drive partition but I suggest
> starting with Disk Utility.
>
> After using something in Recovery partition, you just quit the program
> and you should be presented with the option of picking the normal boot
> partition to restart from.
>
> Note for the future. After downloading Lion or Mountain Lion, you can
> use a special disk image file that is part of the download and burn
> your own Mac OS X Lion (or ML) boot/install DVD disc. You can

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:52 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"yash@aol.com" dalepavlicek

Every time my mac mini comes out of sleep mode,it asks for my password. Is there a way to eliminate this ? Iam running Lion.
thanks
dale

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:06 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

Try this:

1. Go to System Preferences.

2. Open Users & Groups.

3 Click Login Options (the house icon). You may have to first click
the gold padlock and provide your Admin user password.

4. In Login Options, note what is selected in the Automatic login
popup menu. Change to your user account name.

Next.

5. Click the Show All button to return to System Preferences.

6. Click the Security & Privacy panel and open it. You may need to
click the gold padlock and authentic again.

Check and, if necessary, change the settings here. Is Require password
for sleep and screen saver checked? Is Disable automatic login
checked?

That should do the trick.

Denver Dan

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 09:51:55 -0400 (EDT), yash@aol.com wrote:
> Every time my mac mini comes out of sleep mode,it asks for
> my password. Is there a way to eliminate this ? Iam running Lion.
> thanks
> dale

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:14 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"bobbystar" bobbystar

Thanks. The address icon was not in the tool bar, fixed that. I don't know if this is related but now when I type in the group name the addresses appear in the proper place.

You saved me a good deal of hassle.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Buc <andrewbuc@...> wrote:
>
> On Oct 14, 2012, at 8:31 PM, bobbystar wrote:
>
> > However, I can't figure out how to get the addresses of the members
> > of a group into the address field in mail without starting to type
> > each one individually.
>
> A couple of approaches:
>
> 1) Click on the Addresses button on the Mail toolbar to bring up
> Address Book. Highlight the desired group in Address Book and click
> on the To button.
>
> 2) Start typing the name of the group in the To field in the email
> you're composing, and the rest of the name will be filled in.
>

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:45 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Nick Andriash" andriash2005

I was just wondering what the difference is between using Parallels 8 vs Bootcamp to run Windows on my MacBook Pro? Are they not both creating 'Virtual Machines'?

The reason I ask is that I just purchased VMOptimizer from Coriolis-Systems, but when I run the Program, I am told it cannot find a Virtual Machine.

Would iDefrag take care of any defragmentation with respect to my 'Parallels Partition' which contains Win 7?

--
 Nick Andriash 
andriash@telus.net
17" MacBook Pro, 2.3GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 16 GB, OS X 10.8.2
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
iPad2 WiFi & 3G, 64GB
iPhone4S 32GB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:00 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

No. When you run an OS under Boot Camp, you are running it natively, so
running Windows under Boot Camp on a Mac effectively makes the Mac a
"real", not virtual PC.

Otto

On 15 October 2012 17:44, Nick Andriash <medic65@telus.net> wrote:

> I was just wondering what the difference is between using Parallels 8 vs
> Bootcamp to run Windows on my MacBook Pro? Are they not both creating
> 'Virtual Machines'?
>
> The reason I ask is that I just purchased VMOptimizer from
> Coriolis-Systems, but when I run the Program, I am told it cannot find a
> Virtual Machine.
>
> Would iDefrag take care of any defragmentation with respect to my
> 'Parallels Partition' which contains Win 7?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE