10/21/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 9187

15 New Messages

Digest #9187
1a
2a
Re: OWC bargain by "keith_w" keith9600
2b
Re: OWC bargain by "bj" jblair44
2c
Re: OWC bargain by "Ken" avliska
2d
Re: OWC bargain by "Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger
3a
What to put on boot drive? by "DaveC" davec2468
3b
Re: What to put on boot drive? by "Barry Austern" barryaus
3c
3d
Re: What to put on boot drive? by "Barry Austern" barryaus
3e
Re: What to put on boot drive? by "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01
3f
Re: What to put on boot drive? by "Dave C" davec2468
3g
Re: What to put on boot drive? by "Barry Austern" barryaus
5
How Do You Create a Bootable CD? by "Nick Andriash" andriash2005

Messages

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:57 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"John Mills" jsm5320432

Dave:

I don't know what your problem is either. Have you called Apple Tech Support (wireless) and asked them to walk you through the process. When I got mine (upgrading from the old UFO base stations) they walked me through the complete setup and testing.

Mine is like yours: a base station hooked to a router by ethernet and then relays the network from one building to another to a second base station. Works fine but the set up was not as intuitive as some would have you believe.

I recommend you call Apple tech support.

John

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:42 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"DaveC" davec2468

>I don't know what your problem is either. Have you called Apple Tech
>Support (wireless) and asked them to walk you through the process.
>When I got mine (upgrading from the old UFO base stations) they
>walked me through the complete setup and testing.
>
>Mine is like yours: a base station hooked to a router by ethernet
>and then relays the network from one building to another to a second
>base station. Works fine but the set up was not as intuitive as some
>would have you believe.
>
>I recommend you call Apple tech support.
>
>John

Thanks for your reply John.

These Airports are both out of warranty, so it will be $$ to talk to
Apple on the phone.

Someone mentioned taking them into an Apple store and asking the
experts what is wrong. I think this will be no charge.

But one thing I didn't do is reset (push the tiny button on the back)
these Airports. I'll try that before taking down the network to get
these diagnosed by Apple experts.

Cheers,
Dave

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:57 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"keith_w" keith9600

Learned a new word today. Spudger. Sort of instinctively, i knew what it
was but Google confirmed it!
I have three or more of various shapes and lengths, and never knew what to
call them. Didn't matter, because I never had to as my wife to bring me
one...
Hahahah. Thanks.

keith whaley

"Count the day lost if you don't learn a new word." ~ Anon?

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 5:31 AM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@me.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> We've mentioned OWC (macsales.com) as a source, particularly of RAM.
>
> As a regular, if infrequent, customer, I am on their mailing list, and
> recently saw what appeared to be an incredible bargain.
>
> They already sell multiple models of SSD's -- flash RAM hard drives --
> both in standard 2.5 hard drive configuration, and in versions designed to
> be compatible with the storage in MBAirs. They have "3G" (i.e., SATA-2) and
> "6G" (SATA-3) versions, in a variety of sizes.
>
> I had been contemplating upgrading my almost-4-year-old MBPro with a 3G
> SSD (480 GB for $492) to fill in the time until I can afford to replace the
> computer with a Retina Display 2012 MBPro.
>
> Until a recent mailing informed me that they now have for sale Toshiba 512
> GB SSD's -- the same make and model that Apple has been selling in various
> build-to-order Macs -- at $237 for 512 GB.
>
> I have now been running on the upgraded MBPro for 2-3 days, and am 100%
> pleased and satisfied with the upgrade. I also bought one of their
> bus-powered portable cases to put the drive that I removed from the machine
> into, and a Torx, tiny Phillips, spudger, etc. tool kit, and am also
> pleased with those.
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:24 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"bj" jblair44

I had to Google spudger since I've never heard the word.

It looks like a sort of electronic version of a crochet hook (which is also
useful for pulling bread-machine paddles out of the loaves they get baked
into).
bj

-----Original Message-----
From: keith_w
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2012 11:57 AM
To: macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [macsupport] OWC bargain

Learned a new word today. Spudger. Sort of instinctively, i knew what it
was but Google confirmed it!
I have three or more of various shapes and lengths, and never knew what to
call them. Didn't matter, because I never had to as my wife to bring me
one...
Hahahah. Thanks.

keith whaley

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:24 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Ken" avliska

My guess was someone who harvests potatoes. My instincts are different.
Ken S.

> Learned a new word today. Spudger. Sort of instinctively, i knew what it
> was but Google confirmed it!


Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:49 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger


On Oct 21, 2012, at 5:31 AM, Jim Saklad wrote:

> Until a recent mailing informed me that they now have for sale Toshiba 512 GB SSD's -- the same make and model that Apple has been selling in various build-to-order Macs -- at $237 for 512 GB.

Sadly, they are already out of stock:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Toshiba/HNSNC512GBSJ/

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:34 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"DaveC" davec2468

I'm creating a dual-boot system with Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard.
The boot drive is the fastest of the 2 drives, although smaller (250
GB vs. 750 GB), so I want to choose carefully what I put on the boot
drive.

When installing OS X on a new drive and migrating files from another
drive, you are given the options of bringing users, applications,
data files, etc (I forget exactly what the choices are -- maybe
someone can refresh my memory) to the new drive.

What are the pros and cons of bringing each of these choices to the
boot drive? I know that it's good to have applications on a separate
drive from system files (each can take data as needed from a separate
drive, making overall performance better), for example.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Dave
--
2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 / 4 GB / 750 GB
OS X 10.6.8, soon to add 10.7.2

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:01 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Barry Austern" barryaus

At 11:33 AM -0700 10/21/12, DaveC wrote:

>
>
>I'm creating a dual-boot system with Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard.
>The boot drive is the fastest of the 2 drives, although smaller (250
>GB vs. 750 GB), so I want to choose carefully what I put on the boot
>drive.
>
>When installing OS X on a new drive and migrating files from another
>drive, you are given the options of bringing users, applications,
>data files, etc (I forget exactly what the choices are -- maybe
>someone can refresh my memory) to the new drive.

Here's an idea that just hit me. As long as you are willing to have
both drives mounted at all times, maybe you can put aliases of the
/Applications and /Users folders from one drive onto the other,
smaller drive. Possibly in this case aliases won't work and you might
have to use symbolic links (something that I admit confuses me.
--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:18 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"DaveC" davec2468

> >I'm creating a dual-boot system with Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard.
>>The boot drive is the fastest of the 2 drives, although smaller (250
>>GB vs. 750 GB), so I want to choose carefully what I put on the boot
>>drive.
>>
>>When installing OS X on a new drive and migrating files from another
>>drive, you are given the options of bringing users, applications,
>>data files, etc (I forget exactly what the choices are -- maybe
>>someone can refresh my memory) to the new drive.
>
>Here's an idea that just hit me. As long as you are willing to have
>both drives mounted at all times, maybe you can put aliases of the
>/Applications and /Users folders from one drive onto the other,
>smaller drive. Possibly in this case aliases won't work and you might
>have to use symbolic links (something that I admit confuses me.
>--
>Barry Austern

-=-=-=-

Hi Barry. Thanks for your reply.

Both drives will be mounted all the time -- they are both internal to the Mini.

I don't see an advantage of using aliases. Regardless where the
applications actually reside, if the icon is in the dock, clicking
that will run the app from whatever drive it is on.

Or am I misunderstanding (again) your suggestion...?

Dave

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:31 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Barry Austern" barryaus

At 12:17 PM -0700 10/21/12, DaveC wrote:

>
>
> > >I'm creating a dual-boot system with Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard.
>>>The boot drive is the fastest of the 2 drives, although smaller (250
>>>GB vs. 750 GB), so I want to choose carefully what I put on the boot
>>>drive.
>>>
>>>When installing OS X on a new drive and migrating files from another
>>>drive, you are given the options of bringing users, applications,
>>>data files, etc (I forget exactly what the choices are -- maybe
>>>someone can refresh my memory) to the new drive.
>>
>>Here's an idea that just hit me. As long as you are willing to have
>>both drives mounted at all times, maybe you can put aliases of the
>>/Applications and /Users folders from one drive onto the other,
>>smaller drive. Possibly in this case aliases won't work and you might
>>have to use symbolic links (something that I admit confuses me.
>>--
>>Barry Austern
>
>-=-=-=-
>
>Hi Barry. Thanks for your reply.
>
>Both drives will be mounted all the time -- they are both internal
>to the Mini.
>
>I don't see an advantage of using aliases. Regardless where the
>applications actually reside, if the icon is in the dock, clicking
>that will run the app from whatever drive it is on.
>
>Or am I misunderstanding (again) your suggestion...?

But won't it then put its preferences in the other drive, where it
is, not where you are booted? Maybe I too don't understand. However,
an alias or symbolic link of the home folder or even the whole /Users
folder might be the way to go, even if you don't need to do that for
the /Applications folder. As I said, I've never tried it, but I also
intend eventually to make a similar dual-boot system, so let us know
how it worked out.
--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:56 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

> But won't it then put its preferences in the other drive, where it is, not where you are booted? Maybe I too don't understand.
>
> However, an alias or symbolic link of the home folder or even the whole /Users folder might be the way to go, even if you don't need to do that for the /Applications folder.

Keep in mind that some software, notably Mail, changed their data storage format between Snow Leopard and Lion.

If you want to be able to read and send mail from both boots, a SINGLE overall alias/symlink won't work.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:47 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Dave C" davec2468

Sez Jim S.:
> Keep in mind that some software, notably Mail, changed their data storage format between Snow Leopard and Lion.
>
> If you want to be able to read and send mail from both boots, a SINGLE overall alias/symlink won't work.

Is there a solution such that Mail under both OS's can have access to the same data files?

Thanks,
Dave

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:51 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Barry Austern" barryaus

At 4:56 PM -0400 10/21/12, Jim Saklad wrote:

>
>
> > But won't it then put its preferences in the other drive, where
>it is, not where you are booted? Maybe I too don't understand.
>>
>> However, an alias or symbolic link of the home folder or even the
>>whole /Users folder might be the way to go, even if you don't need
>>to do that for the /Applications folder.
>
>Keep in mind that some software, notably Mail, changed their data
>storage format between Snow Leopard and Lion.
>
>If you want to be able to read and send mail from both boots, a
>SINGLE overall alias/symlink won't work.

Good point. However, has anyone ever tried running the older version
of the application on the newer OS? (I doubt that the reverse would
work). I believe that address book (or contacts) is another one that
was changed between OS's.
--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:22 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

If I shoot a picture on my iPhone4 horizontally the Camera App or the iPhone itself embeds a color profile of "sRGB IEC61966-2.1". If I turn the iPhone4 to portrait or vertical the Camera App or iPhone4 assigns a color profile of "Camera RGB Profile". This happens on every shot I take.

I do nothing to the images but download/import them into iPhoto9. Only do I see the difference when I open any of the images from iPhoto9 into CS5. CS5 sees the different profiles and opens either RAW or Photoshop.

Called Apple. They are not aware of the issue. They do not offer a way to correct the profile embedding issue. So I have to manually change the profile in Photoshop or RAW. I wasn't charged for the call.

I placed a folder in our groups Photos Section entitled 102112 Profile Issue for anyone to see the Apple+I info on the two files. I have done no conversions or saving or "saving as" to the images in question, only opened them in CS5, then immediately closed them unsaved from iPhoto9.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, John R <jrswebhome@...> wrote:
>
> Interesting situation. Maybe I can find out on a CS forum. Just thought someone who uses an iPhone might have experienced this.
>
> John R
>
>
>
> __________
>
> All books are divisible into two classes,
>
> the books of the hour,
>
> and the books of all time.
>
> John Ruskin
>
>
>
> 27" iMac10,1
>
> 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
>
> 12gig RAM/OSX10.6.8/1 TBHD
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:44 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Nick Andriash" andriash2005

I recently purchased a new Crucial M4 512GB SSD for my 2011 MacBook Pro, and the other day Crucial sent an email saying that there was a new firmware update available for the drive. I downloaded the firmware in the form of a 3.4 MB iso file. Crucial Tech Support told me to burn it to a blank DVD, insert it, press and hold the C key while re-starting the Mac, and then simply follow the instructions to update the firmware.

> To update the firmware on your SSD, follow the steps below. Please also ensure you are using an internal SuperDrive as externally connected drives don't always allow the update process to complete.
>
> 1. Download the most suitable SSD firmware
> 2. Unzip the ISO by double-clicking on it
> 3. Start Disk Utility (Utilities -> Disk Utility)
> 4. In the list of drives in Disk Utility, select the ISO
> 5. Insert a blank CD in the drive
> 6. Ensure "Verify burned data" is checked
> 7. Click "Burn"
> 8. Once burn is complete, restart the Mac
> 9. Press and hold C when powering on to boot from the CD
> 10. Follow the steps to update FW

Turns out that simply does not work, as my Mac ignores the fact I have a CD inserted, and simply booted off my main drive. On Crucial's forum, there appears to be a lot of Mac Users having trouble updating their SSD's firmware.

Any suggestions as to what my next move is? I have sent a reply off to Crucial Tech Support.

--
 Nick Andriash 
andriash@telus.net
17" MacBook Pro, 2.3GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 16 GB, OS X 10.8.2
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
iPad2 WiFi & 3G, 64GB
iPhone4S 32GB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE