10/31/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 9205

14 New Messages

Digest #9205
2
Windows 8 Bootcamp by "Douglas Neale" djneale
4a
iPhoto problem by "clr42uk" clr42uk
4b
Re: iPhoto problem by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
4c
Re: iPhoto problem by "clr42uk" clr42uk

Messages

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:52 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Carol" were_koala

Yes, but the only options are the "carol@myisp" edress or "Account of selected mailbox." There's no place to type in the edress I want to use.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Otto Nikolaus <otto.nikolaus@...> wrote:
>
> I assume you set this in Mail > Preferences > Composing > Addressing > Send
> new mail from.
>
> Does that not work or is the option no longer there?
>
>
> On 30 October 2012 16:08, Carol <botteron@...> wrote:
>
> > I have a similar question. My account botteron@... is a
> > permanent forwarding edress that redirects my mail to what I'll call
> > carol@...
> >
> > Mail makes all my messages say "From: carol@..." But for several
> > reasons I want my messages to say "From: botteron@..." In
> > Eudora I could do that. (I miss Eudora! But OS 10.7 won't let me use it.)
> >
> > (1) Using Mail, is there a way to do that?
> >
> > (2) If not, is there another mail program in which I can?

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:49 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

Do you have that account set up in Mail?

Otto

On 30 October 2012 19:52, Carol <botteron@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Yes, but the only options are the "carol@myisp" edress or "Account of
> selected mailbox." There's no place to type in the edress I want to use.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:23 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Carol" were_koala

Mail only knows about the "myisp" edress, not the one I want to use. If by "that account" you mean the one I want to use, how would I set it up in Mail?

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Otto Nikolaus <otto.nikolaus@...> wrote:
>
> Do you have that account set up in Mail?
>
>
> On 30 October 2012 19:52, Carol <botteron@...> wrote:
>
> > Yes, but the only options are the "carol@myisp" edress or "Account of
> > selected mailbox." There's no place to type in the edress I want to use.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:16 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Daly Jessup" dalyjessup


On Oct 30, 2012, at 6:23 PM, Carol wrote:

> Mail only knows about the "myisp" edress, not the one I want to use. If by "that account" you mean the one I want to use, how would I set it up in Mail?
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Otto Nikolaus <otto.nikolaus@...> wrote:
>>
>> Do you have that account set up in Mail?
>>
>> On 30 October 2012 19:52, Carol <botteron@...> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, but the only options are the "carol@myisp" edress or "Account of selected mailbox." There's no place to type in the edress I want to use.

Unless I misunderstand, you should just go to the Mail menu, choose Preferences, then click the Accounts tab. In there/*, click the "+" sign at the bottom of the right-hand column and fill in the info for your preferred account.

Daly

Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:51 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

Yes, the one you want to use. If Mail doesn't have the account for that
address set up, it can't use that address. When you set up an account in
Mail, it is checked. If you could simply type in any address as the From
address, how would Mail know which account settings to use, and how would
you figure out what was wrong if you mistyped that address?

Otto

On 31 October 2012 01:23, Carol <botteron@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Mail only knows about the "myisp" edress, not the one I want to use. If
> by "that account" you mean the one I want to use, how would I set it up in
> Mail?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:57 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

On 31 October 2012 02:16, Daly Jessup <jessup@san.rr.com> wrote:

>
> Unless I misunderstand, you should just go to the Mail menu, choose
> Preferences, then click the Accounts tab. In there/*, click the "+" sign at
> the bottom of the right-hand column and fill in the info for your preferred
> account.
>

Yes, that's what's needed. The settings should be the ones for alum.mit.edu.

Otto

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:58 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Douglas Neale" djneale

Hi,

Anyone out there tried Windows 8 as a Bootcamp partition yet?

I have got it installed and running on my old Macpro but the audio only
seems to work in one direction, so I can record but not play back to my
audio kit using the Realtek ports, not the optical ones.

The Device manager doesn't show up any driver problems, so I'm not sure
what the problem is yet.

There's probably quite a few other problems I have yet to find.

Regards,

Doug Neale

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:29 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Nick Andriash" andriash2005

I want to take out my CD Drive in my MB Pro, and replace it with another brand new 480GB SSD from OWC, and was wondering if I could use my wife's USB CD drive that I bought separately for her. I tried plugging it in but it does not show up in either Finder or Disk Utilities.

Is there something I have to do to configure the drive to use with my MacBook Pro? It doesn't appear to be powered through the USB port. I wonder if the USB port on her MBAir is different than on my MBPro?

--
 Nick Andriash 
andriash@telus.net
17" MacBook Pro, 2.3GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, OS X 10.8.2
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
iPad2 WiFi & 3G, 64GB
iPhone4S 32GB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:08 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

If this is the Apple drive for the MB Air,

"the Apple USB SuperDrive connects to your MacBook Pro with Retina display,
MacBook Air or Mac mini with a single USB cable"

I find this incomprehensible and infuriating!

Otto

On 31 October 2012 05:29, Nick Andriash <medic65@telus.net> wrote:

> I want to take out my CD Drive in my MB Pro, and replace it with another
> brand new 480GB SSD from OWC, and was wondering if I could use my wife's
> USB CD drive that I bought separately for her. I tried plugging it in but
> it does not show up in either Finder or Disk Utilities.
>
> Is there something I have to do to configure the drive to use with my
> MacBook Pro? It doesn't appear to be powered through the USB port. I wonder
> if the USB port on her MBAir is different than on my MBPro?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:40 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Tim O'Donoghue" timodonoghue

This works well:

http://www.hardturm.ch/luz/2011/10/how-to-make-the-macbook-air-superdrive-work-with-any-mac/

>
>
> On 31 October 2012 05:29, Nick Andriash <medic65@telus.net> wrote:
>
>> I want to take out my CD Drive in my MB Pro, and replace it with another
>> brand new 480GB SSD from OWC, and was wondering if I could use my wife's
>> USB CD drive that I bought separately for her. I tried plugging it in but
>> it does not show up in either Finder or Disk Utilities.
>>
>> Is there something I have to do to configure the drive to use with my
>> MacBook Pro? It doesn't appear to be powered through the USB port. I wonder
>> if the USB port on her MBAir is different than on my MBPro?
>>
>

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:14 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

Thanks. Good to know there's any easy fix, but why is it even needed? Why
restrict the market for a product in this way? It's a very nice unit that
would sell even to PC owners, I think.

Although this looks pretty good too. Has anyone tried it?
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proxima-Direct
®-External-DVD±RW-MacBook/dp/B008NVWCIG/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1351692595&sr=8-11>
or <http://amzn.to/ScybhV>

Otto

On 31 October 2012 13:40, Tim O'Donoghue <tjod@drizzle.net> wrote:

> This works well:
>
>
> http://www.hardturm.ch/luz/2011/10/how-to-make-the-macbook-air-superdrive-work-with-any-mac/

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:35 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"clr42uk" clr42uk

Almost 3000 pictures (about half my collection) are not displaying in my iPhoto 08. I haven't changed anything on the computer so I don't know why this should happen.

After recovering from the shock I started looking around and in the Pictures Folder :iPhoto: iPhoto package contents I found the Originals and Modified folders and they appear to be still in there.

I have done the rebuild thing, repair permissions etc in iPhoto but that didn't recover them.

My question is how do I get them back into the iPhoto library. I don't want to lose them so I''m a bit reluctant to play around without asking for help.

I have done a SuperDuper backup before I messed with the rebuild as it said, but this backup will have replaced the previous backup and the photos will be in the Originals file now.

There is also a Folder called Modified, I'm not sure what this is but it does have some photos in there so do I have to collect these into iPhoto too?

I hope someone can help me please.

Cynthia in UK

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:57 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

When you import photos into iPhoto they go in the Originals folder.
Modified copies appear in Modified if, and only if, you have altered/edited
them in some way.

You can simply add photos back into iPhoto using File > Add to library or
by dragging the folder(s) into the app's icon. The problem here is that you
might end up with lots of duplicate entries. Is there some way you select
the missing ones, by date perhaps?

Another option would be to delete *all* photos from iPhoto, but *NOT* the
files. You can then add the entire iPhoto Library folder back in without
duplicates. Of course, I would take another backup before doing this (I
would do a manual copy and not rely on TM).

Otto

On 31 October 2012 14:35, clr42uk <cynread@live.com> wrote:

> Almost 3000 pictures (about half my collection) are not displaying in my
> iPhoto 08. I haven't changed anything on the computer so I don't know why
> this should happen.
>
> After recovering from the shock I started looking around and in the
> Pictures Folder :iPhoto: iPhoto package contents I found the Originals and
> Modified folders and they appear to be still in there.
>
> I have done the rebuild thing, repair permissions etc in iPhoto but that
> didn't recover them.
>
> My question is how do I get them back into the iPhoto library. I don't
> want to lose them so I''m a bit reluctant to play around without asking for
> help.
>
> I have done a SuperDuper backup before I messed with the rebuild as it
> said, but this backup will have replaced the previous backup and the photos
> will be in the Originals file now.
>
> There is also a Folder called Modified, I'm not sure what this is but it
> does have some photos in there so do I have to collect these into iPhoto
> too?
>
> I hope someone can help me please.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:33 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"clr42uk" clr42uk

Hello Otto, Using the date isn't an option as the missing ones don't seem to have disappeared in any sequence, and if I had to check them all individually it would take forever. I would rather have duplicates and delete those.

When you say delete all the photos but not the Files - so I select the photos in each event and delete like that but I don't know which files you mean not to delete. When you say move the entire iPhoto library do you mean the folder called Originals as the Library6.iPhoto is the file which the photos are missing from.

I can cut Cds of the Originals and the Library6.iPhoto. I don't use Time Machine

I see there is a New Album option, if I do that could I get the Originals into that, check if they show up in iphoto before deleting the others. I have plenty of space on the disc.

I'm really scared!

Cynthia

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Otto Nikolaus <otto.nikolaus@...> wrote:
>
> When you import photos into iPhoto they go in the Originals folder.
> Modified copies appear in Modified if, and only if, you have altered/edited
> them in some way.
>
> You can simply add photos back into iPhoto using File > Add to library or
> by dragging the folder(s) into the app's icon. The problem here is that you
> might end up with lots of duplicate entries. Is there some way you select
> the missing ones, by date perhaps?
>
> Another option would be to delete *all* photos from iPhoto, but *NOT* the
> files. You can then add the entire iPhoto Library folder back in without
> duplicates. Of course, I would take another backup before doing this (I
> would do a manual copy and not rely on TM).
>
> Otto

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE