10/24/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 9191

4 New Messages

Digest #9191
1b
2a
Re: SuperDrive will not burn by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
3a
Re: SL update causes log-in problem by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Messages

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:18 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"T Hopkins" todhop

If you look at the disc itself, do you see a bunch of odd "windows" looking filenames? In particular, "autoexec.bat"? Do you see where I'm going with this? If so, check those names on a quick Google search as see if they are standard Windows or Linux OS files.

My working theory is that this is a Linux boot disc. Linux boot discs can boot Macs, but my recent experience is that they don't always. I have no idea why.

My other idea is that the disc is using a format that the Mac can't mount. For instance, some UDF versions simply don't work on some Macs. Even though the discs mounts on the desktop, it might not work as a boot disc.

Try using Toast (or similar) to copy the entire contents of the disc you made. Don't do a "disk copy" but drag the whole disc into the data disc window. Make sure the new disc is set to "Mac and PC". That would might work around the possibility of a problematic disc format. I don't think using the OSX "Burn Disc" method will work unless it really is a Linux disc. If it's a Mac format, "Burn Disc" will ignore the hidden files.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

On Oct 22, 2012, at 2:44 AM, Nick Andriash wrote:

> I recently purchased a new Crucial M4 512GB SSD for my 2011 MacBook Pro, and the other day Crucial sent an email saying that there was a new firmware update available for the drive. I downloaded the firmware in the form of a 3.4 MB iso file. Crucial Tech Support told me to burn it to a blank DVD, insert it, press and hold the C key while re-starting the Mac, and then simply follow the instructions to update the firmware.
>
> > To update the firmware on your SSD, follow the steps below. Please also ensure you are using an internal SuperDrive as externally connected drives don't always allow the update process to complete.
> >
> > 1. Download the most suitable SSD firmware
> > 2. Unzip the ISO by double-clicking on it
> > 3. Start Disk Utility (Utilities -> Disk Utility)
> > 4. In the list of drives in Disk Utility, select the ISO
> > 5. Insert a blank CD in the drive
> > 6. Ensure "Verify burned data" is checked
> > 7. Click "Burn"
> > 8. Once burn is complete, restart the Mac
> > 9. Press and hold C when powering on to boot from the CD
> > 10. Follow the steps to update FW
>
> Turns out that simply does not work, as my Mac ignores the fact I have a CD inserted, and simply booted off my main drive. On Crucial's forum, there appears to be a lot of Mac Users having trouble updating their SSD's firmware.
>
> Any suggestions as to what my next move is? I have sent a reply off to Crucial Tech Support.
>
> --
>  Nick Andriash 
> andriash@telus.net
> 17" MacBook Pro, 2.3GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 16 GB, OS X 10.8.2
> AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
> iPad2 WiFi & 3G, 64GB
> iPhone4S 32GB
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:35 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

>> I recently purchased a new Crucial M4 512GB SSD for my 2011 MacBook Pro, and the other day Crucial sent an email saying that there was a new firmware update available for the drive. I downloaded the firmware in the form of a 3.4 MB iso file. Crucial Tech Support told me to burn it to a blank DVD, insert it, press and hold the C key while re-starting the Mac, and then simply follow the instructions to update the firmware.
>
> If you look at the disc itself, do you see a bunch of odd "windows" looking filenames? In particular, "autoexec.bat"? Do you see where I'm going with this? If so, check those names on a quick Google search as see if they are standard Windows or Linux OS files.
>
> My working theory is that this is a Linux boot disc. Linux boot discs can boot Macs, but my recent experience is that they don't always. I have no idea why.

Perhaps this will help:
<http://www.storagereview.com/how_upgrade_crucial_ssd_firmware>

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:04 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

Good for you for having the fortitude to open things up and do what you
did. I hope that worked and keeps working!

Just a note on caned air. I buy it at Costco warehouse where a 6 can
shrink package costs about the same as 2 cans at computer stores. (For
group members outside the US, Costco is a large chain of membership
shopping warehouses that specializes in good quality and low prices.
Costco has stores in the USA, Canada, and Mexico. I don't know about
other countries. For example, I saw a 100 disc cake box of DVD-R Sony
brand discs last week for .24 cents USD each.)

I've tried caned air blasts on my optical drives just by opening the
door and blasting it in a bunch of time. Sometimes with a vacuum
cleaner running to catch dust and pull it out. This combined with a
disc cleaner kit with the brushes has often worked for me.

Denver Dan

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:05:03 -0700, DaveC wrote:
> Success!
>
> I pulled the HD out of this old Mini (2006) so it was open anyway. So
> I removed the optical Superdrive and took off the top of the drive.
> (The manufacturer surely doesn't want users opening this: tiny
> screws, some hidden beneath labels.)
>
> The lens is easily accessible once the top is removed. A few
> judicious blasts of canned air on and around the lens, and then
> careful cleaning of the lens itself with alcohol and a Q-tip.
>
> I burned one disc without any errors. Not a huge test case, but
> that's much better than the previous experience. I think it's fixed.
>
> To reiterate: the drive had burned fewer than 50 discs in its life,
> so I suspected that the problem was accumulation of dust. I think my
> success here bears out that theory.
>
> FYI...
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:16 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

I don't know what the problem is but are you aware that Snow Leopard
removes/discontinues the Rosetta capability? if your "migration"
included something as a login item that required Rosetta, you need to
find that and remove it.

I suggest downloading the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Combo updater file itself and
upgrading from that rather than via Software Update.

You may need to boot the Mini from an OS X system install DVD and do a
re-install of the system and THEN download the 10.6.8 combo updater.

I rarely use Software Update for system software because I think I have
a better chance of a good and reliable update/install by downloading
the combo updater disk image file and using that.

i do use Software Update for all of the other Apple programs.

Denver Dan

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 01:39:23 -0700, Dave C wrote:
> Installed 10.6 onto newly configured mini.
>
> After migrating from old drive, used Software Update to apply 10.6.8
> combo updater. All went as expected.
>
> After reboot, the usual log-in screen comes up (with 3 users'
> identities listed -- migrated from old system).
>
> No matter which user I choose and enter the password, the result is
> the same: the password is accepted, the blue screen appears (the
> usual first step toward launching the finder, etc.), and then... the
> log-in screen comes back up.
>
> Repeat ad infinitum.
>
> I rebooted in safe boot mode (shift key held down), but the symptoms
> are the same.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
> --
> Mac Mini 2006 1.83 GHz / 2 GB / 80 GB
> OS X 10.6.8 (I think... it won't boot so I can't verify)

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE