10/14/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 9174

4 New Messages

Digest #9174
1a
Re: mac lap top restore button? by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
1b
2a
Re: question about mac on/off by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
3.1

Messages

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:21 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

Do the usual. Boot from the Mac OS X DVD install disc that came with
the laptop, or, if running Lion or Mountain Lion, boot from the
recovery partition.

Denver Dan

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 12:41:49 +0000, titnaw wrote:
> I have a Mac laptop that has not been used in months. Now when I turn
> it on all I get is the apple logo and the circle that looks like it
> is trying to open but it never does.
> Any idea what I should do?
> Titnaw

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:51 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"titnaw" titnaw


Thanks Dan,
I do not know how to boot from the recovery partition. Can you explain how I do it please
Titnaw
--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@...> wrote:
>
> Howdy.
>
> Do the usual. Boot from the Mac OS X DVD install disc that came with
> the laptop, or, if running Lion or Mountain Lion, boot from the
> recovery partition.
>
> Denver Dan
>
>
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 12:41:49 +0000, titnaw wrote:
> > I have a Mac laptop that has not been used in months. Now when I turn
> > it on all I get is the apple logo and the circle that looks like it
> > is trying to open but it never does.
> > Any idea what I should do?
> > Titnaw
>

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:27 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

The power button is for doing a cold boot and for doing a forced shut
down if necessary or when something freezes (press and hold for about
10 seconds to force a shut down).

The standard way to shut down is to use the Shut Down command found
under the Apple menu.

There is also a Sleep command under the Apple menu and the power
button, if pressed briefly, should put the computer to sleep . Check
the Energy Saver panel in System Preferences for options on computer
and monitor sleep and for hard disk sleep.

There is no standard and recommended preference for Sleep or for Shut
Down. My personal preference is to shut down my Mac but if it stays on
and goes to sleep during the night it's not a big deal.

I think a shut down cleans out junk and stuff and some cache files that
creep in during normal operation.

Denver Dan

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 14:47:20 +0000, dalepavlicek wrote:
> I just acquired a new mac mini after being away from Mac
> for a long time. I was very surprised to see no on/off key on the
> matching keyboard. I had remembered years ago ,Mac had tis feature.
> The tiny button on the back of the mini is a pain.
> Would I be just as well off the put the mini to sleep and
> not worry about on/off?
> thanks
> dale

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:56 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"neelie" neeliec2000

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Gijzette Strickland <gsstrickland@...> wrote:
>
> Neelie,
>
> Try this:
> http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/change-program-used-open-email-links
>
> --Gijzette

Thanks so much, Gijzette! I've re-set the preference and that will hopefully solve my issue! I appreciate the information and suggested fix!
neelie

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE