2/17/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8745

Messages In This Digest (20 Messages)

1a.
Network Monitor From: Jim Smith
1b.
Re: Network Monitor From: Harry Flaxman
1c.
Re: Network Monitor From: Jim Smith
2a.
Re: Apple's iCloud Is No Dropbox Killer (It's Much More) From: ed-reiff
3a.
Re: Internal Hard Drives From: D. Brett Woods
4a.
Re: Safari/IP Scanner(off topic?) From: us2forever
5a.
Re: Apple Mail From: Tom Guenthner
5b.
Re: Apple Mail From: John Engberg
6a.
Re: Apple’s iCloud Is No Dropbox Killer (It From: Jurgen Richter
6b.
Re: [macsupport] Apple’s iCloud Is No Dropbox Killer (It From: randydeckerca
7a.
iMac not waking up From: bobbystar
7b.
Re: iMac not waking up From: Otto Nikolaus
8a.
Re: Next OS Announced/released to developers! From: jayant m
8b.
Re: Next OS Announced/released to developers! From: Harry Flaxman
8c.
Re: Next OS Announced/released to developers! From: randydeckerca
8d.
Re: Next OS Announced/released to developers! From: Harry Flaxman
9.1.
Re: Finder alternative From: Andrew Buc
9.2.
Re: Finder alternative From: Daly Jessup
10a.
Snow Leopard leap to Mountain Lion? From: Ian Gillis
10b.
Re: Snow Leopard leap to Mountain Lion? From: Jon Kreisler

Messages

1a.

Network Monitor

Posted by: "Jim Smith" jas1931@gmail.com   jimmacsmith

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:58 pm (PST)



I have a local network with my iMac, my wife's Mini Mac, an iPad(1), iPhone 4, a HP wifi printer, and sometime a PC laptop. At home my internet connection is RR cable, which does not have a data limit.

I spend a few months at a time in a RV where my connection is Hughes Network, satellite, which has a daily data limit of 425MB. They monitor your bandwidth and if you go over you are throttle back the thru put for 24 hours. I have written a program that monitors the modem and warns me when I get close, so that I can stop whatever I'm downloading.

Today then alarm with off, I had it set at 40%. I had checked it a few minutes early and it was at 86% so I was surprised. My wife was playing Angry Bird and I was reading eMail so I don't know what was down/uploading.

So I am looking for something that will tell me task and how much up/download.

I am trying Net Monitor, I don't think it will help. Also have Little Snitch, it show's network activity but it does not help either.

Any recommendations?

 Jim Smith 
www.rvcarelogbook.com
iMac 27 (2011), 3.4GHz Core i7. 8GB,OS X 10.7.2
iMac 21.5 (Late 2009), Memory 8GB,OS X 10.6.7
Mac Mini (Early 2009), Memory 4GB,OS X 10.6.7(wife)
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), 64GB; iPad WF+G3, 64GB
iPhone4 32GB Verizon
HP EX495 WHS; HP tx2 TouchSmart

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1b.

Re: Network Monitor

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:05 pm (PST)



On 2/16/2012 6:57 PM, Jim Smith wrote:
> I have a local network with my iMac, my wife's Mini Mac, an iPad(1), iPhone 4, a HP wifi printer, and sometime a PC laptop. At home my internet connection is RR cable, which does not have a data limit.
>
> I spend a few months at a time in a RV where my connection is Hughes Network, satellite, which has a daily data limit of 425MB. They monitor your bandwidth and if you go over you are throttle back the thru put for 24 hours. I have written a program that monitors the modem and warns me when I get close, so that I can stop whatever I'm downloading.
>
> Today then alarm with off, I had it set at 40%. I had checked it a few minutes early and it was at 86% so I was surprised. My wife was playing Angry Bird and I was reading eMail so I don't know what was down/uploading.
>
> So I am looking for something that will tell me task and how much up/download.
>
> I am trying Net Monitor, I don't think it will help. Also have Little Snitch, it show's network activity but it does not help either.
>
> Any recommendations?

There are several:

Private Eye (free)

http://radiosilenceapp.com/private-eye

Lithium (comprehensive) ($)

http://lithium5.com/

Basically, if you Google 'network monitor os x' you'll get an
impressive list.

Harry

1c.

Re: Network Monitor

Posted by: "Jim Smith" jas1931@gmail.com   jimmacsmith

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:07 pm (PST)





On Feb 16, 2012, at 7:03 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> On 2/16/2012 6:57 PM, Jim Smith wrote:
>> I have a local network with my iMac, my wife's Mini Mac, an iPad(1), iPhone 4, a HP wifi printer, and sometime a PC laptop. At home my internet connection is RR cable, which does not have a data limit.
>>
>> I spend a few months at a time in a RV where my connection is Hughes Network, satellite, which has a daily data limit of 425MB. They monitor your bandwidth and if you go over you are throttle back the thru put for 24 hours. I have written a program that monitors the modem and warns me when I get close, so that I can stop whatever I'm downloading.
>>
>> Today then alarm with off, I had it set at 40%. I had checked it a few minutes early and it was at 86% so I was surprised. My wife was playing Angry Bird and I was reading eMail so I don't know what was down/uploading.
>>
>> So I am looking for something that will tell me task and how much up/download.
>>
>> I am trying Net Monitor, I don't think it will help. Also have Little Snitch, it show's network activity but it does not help either.
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>
> There are several:
>
> Private Eye (free)
>
> http://radiosilenceapp.com/private-eye
>
> Lithium (comprehensive) ($)
>
> http://lithium5.com/
>
> Basically, if you Google 'network monitor os x' you'll get an
> impressive list.
>
> Harry
>

Thanks Harry

Everyone should use Private Eye as part of their maintenance procedure.

Have not found my problem but did find that I had some app that were doing lots of unnecessary web activity.

Snagit was checking for update every 10 seconds. Turned off auto checking for update and it stopped.

Chronories was doing a connection to acc-wether every second. Uninstalled it.

Developers (and Apple) need to realize that we don't all have a big wide internet pipe.

Jim Smith

2a.

Re: Apple's iCloud Is No Dropbox Killer (It's Much More)

Posted by: "ed-reiff" ed@reiff.com   ed-reiff

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:09 pm (PST)





--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Bill Boulware <bill.boulware@...> wrote:
>
> http://www.google.com/gwt/x?source=reader&u=http%3A%2F%2Ffeedproxy.google.com%2F~r%2FTechcrunch%2F~3%2FI9c5cwnlDw4%2F
> Sent to you via Google ReaderApple's iCloud Is No Dropbox Killer (It's Much
> More) <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Techcrunch/~3/I9c5cwnlDw4/>[image:
> icloud-logo]
>
> With today's reveal of the next version of OS
> X<http://www.google.com/gwt/x?source=reader&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftechcrunch.com%2F2012%2F02%2F16%2Fmountain-lion-os-x-ios%2F>
> -
> OS X 10.8, aka Mountain Lion – Apple is more deeply integrating its iCloud
> service into the operating system itself. No longer will storing your
> documents in the cloud feel like an extra, value-added feature – it will
> feel like part of the OS itself. The cloud is just another drive, Apple
> seems to say, and saving to the cloud should look and feel no different
> than saving to your Documents folder or your Desktop.
>
> The idea, of course, is not novel. It's what startups like
> Dropbox<http://www.google.com/gwt/x?source=reader&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbox.com>are
> doing today: making a drive that appears like any other, but that can
> be accessed from any machine. While on the surface, it's easy to dub iCloud
> "Apple's version of Dropbox," the truth is actually more complex: it's
> about building a new computing paradigm.
>
> In testing the new iCloud integration in Mountain Lion, a file could be
> open in multiple locations – say, your Mac, iPad and iPhone – and when a
> change was made, it would appear almost instantly across all three devices
> in real time. You don't have to wait for a notification, or reload the
> file. It just appears. While the immediate thought is that iCloud is
> rapidly turning into Apple's own, improved version of Dropbox, it's also a
> fierce competitor to Google Docs, and the long-rumored Google Drive.
>
> With Google, however, the philosophy is that file creation itself can
> migrated to the cloud. An online office suite is "good enough," if not as
> good, as a native one. And "good enough" will win due to ease of use. With
> almost a completely opposing view, Apple's iCloud is doing the reverse:
> bringing the capabilities of the cloud to the richer, more robust native
> apps. This includes not just office apps in iWork, but through the use of
> developer APIs, it will extend to any apps that need to be iCloud-enabled.
> Although today, iCloud support is more limited for third-parties, the APIs
> will improve in time. Eventually, any app running on the Apple platform
> (desktop or mobile), will have the tools to move data between its different
> installations.
>
> To make the transition to the cloud seamless, Apple has embedded the cloud
> deep into new version of OS X, right down to the "Open" and "Save" dialog
> boxes. Mac Store Apps will be able to immediately save to either the local
> file system or iCloud. The iCloud is also baked into the Finder, showing a
> realtime list of files, sorted by application. And managing those files has
> an iOS-like flare: you drag and drag them on top of each other to make a
> fo...
>
>
> Sent from a mobile device, please ignore any auto corrected or
> typographical errors.
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

One of the big differences with Drop Box (DB) is each computer you have on the account has a local copy of the files in DB so if you have four computers attached to one account the files are stored on DB and each of the four computer files. This gives you four five copies of them on 5 different storage media. ICloud basically does the same thing with a couple of exceptions. SugarSync is mainly an automatic backup with a lot of features that allow you to look at, share, download to other computers on the account. Mosey is a basic cloud storage right now.
There are lots of different flavors out there and many are no cost for a couple of gigs of storage.
Ed

3a.

Re: Internal Hard Drives

Posted by: "D. Brett Woods" brettlyw@mac.com   brettlyw

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:37 pm (PST)



Thanks!

On Feb 16, 2012, at 7:36 AM, Tod Hopkins wrote:

> An "array" is a logically connected collection of drives. Loosely defined it can simply refer to a collection of drives in a chain, but in this context we mean multiple drives installed in a single enclosure and acting in concert.
>
> Any device that you see that contains more than 2TB will be an array, since a single drive mechanism is currently limited to 2TB. The point of arrays is to organize and coordinate the use of multiple drives. The level of coordination offered can be quite low, simply collecting the hardware in one enclosure, know as JBOD ("Just A Bunch of Drives) or very high where all drives function as a single logical unit (RAID Arrays).
>
> Cheers,
> tod
>
> On Feb 15, 2012, at 9:10 PM, D. Brett Woods wrote:
>
> > Generally speaking, what do you all mean by arrays?
> >
> > Just wondering.
> >
> > Brett
> >
> >
> > On Feb 15, 2012, at 11:59 AM, Jim Saklad wrote:
> >
> >>> This may be a stupid question but, do all the externals have to be connected at all times or can they be stored and used when needed just like floppy diskettes back in the day?
> >>> Bob
> >>
> >> 'Taint any stupid questions.
> >>
> >> Use 'em when you need 'em. Like floppies.
> >>
> >> --
> >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com
> >>
> >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Group FAQ:
> > <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> Tod Hopkins
> Hillmann & Carr Inc.
> todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

Re: Safari/IP Scanner(off topic?)

Posted by: "us2forever" us2forever@frontiernet.net   rksangelkayann

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:59 pm (PST)



Thank you all for the help. I have one camera connected wireless to the computer. And I learnt a lot about http://.

Kay
MacBook Air
Mac OS X 10.7
1.8 GHz Intel Core i7
4GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
MacBook Pro 1.1
Mac OS X 10.6.8
1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo
1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
MacBook
Mac OS X 10.6.7
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Re: Apple Mail

Posted by: "Tom Guenthner" tom@aye.net   tomguenthner

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:06 pm (PST)



i think it is Apple set at a max of 100....

On Feb 14, 2012, at 8:36 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

On Feb 14, 2012, at 4:59 PM, Tom Guenthner wrote:

> Does anyone know if Apple Mail has a limit on how many one can send
> a mass mail messagr to.
> I used to be able to send about 110 , now I can't.

Probably an ISP limitation.

I use this to send out my newsletter to over 9,000 subscribers at one
time. It bypasses my ISP's mail server:

Direct Mail
http://directmailmac.com/

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

Tom Guenthner 
Louisville, KY
Modeling The L&N
L&N Historical Society
NMRA #142730 00
www.div8-mcr-nmra.org
www.lnrr.org
www.TomGuenthner.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5b.

Re: Apple Mail

Posted by: "John Engberg" mrbyte@earthlink.net   mrbyte

Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:37 am (PST)



I send out a message to 334 addressees each month using my Apple Mail, via Earthlink. Sometimes I send the message via gmail.

John Engberg

On Feb 16, 2012, at 10:06 PM, Tom Guenthner wrote:

> i think it is Apple set at a max of 100....
>
>
> On Feb 14, 2012, at 8:36 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
>
>
> On Feb 14, 2012, at 4:59 PM, Tom Guenthner wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if Apple Mail has a limit on how many one can send
>> a mass mail messagr to.
>> I used to be able to send about 110 , now I can't.
>
> Probably an ISP limitation.
>
> I use this to send out my newsletter to over 9,000 subscribers at one
> time. It bypasses my ISP's mail server:
>
> Direct Mail
> http://directmailmac.com/
>
> ___________________________________________
> Randy B. Singer
> Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
>
> Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
> http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
> ___________________________________________
>
>
>
>
> Tom Guenthner 
> Louisville, KY
> Modeling The L&N
> L&N Historical Society
> NMRA #142730 00
> www.div8-mcr-nmra.org
> www.lnrr.org
> www.TomGuenthner.com
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

6a.

Re: Apple’s iCloud Is No Dropbox Killer (It

Posted by: "Jurgen Richter" yahoo-1@sympatico.ca   epsongroups

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:40 pm (PST)



What I guess is implied and no one has mentioned, is the fact that all
this cloud stuff is going to consume your internet bandwidth quota -
every file you upload , download and sync presumably is not free. So
those who have constrained data packages will wake up to a surprise at
the end of the month. Please - do correct me if I am mistaken. I too
have production machines and such requirements and that is a cost of
doing business... and is built into my billables... but for those on
dial-up (still) and satellite service in remote areas, I'm not sure it's
that much of a benefit over eventual cost... is it? Will this cloud
phenomenon run on free airwaves, or what? Still under OS10.6.8... and no
hurry to move to lion, mountain lion, sea lion, ant lion, or?

6b.

Re: [macsupport] Apple’s iCloud Is No Dropbox Killer (It

Posted by: "randydeckerca" randydecker@telus.net   randydeckerca

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:49 pm (PST)



My feeling is, go with the cloud and let the ISPs figure out how to charge. I would not hesitate to upgrade based on what my ISP charges for Data. If my ISP charged me for my cloud usage, I'd switch to another. At the moment it's a non-issue.

You talk about dial-up users. Are there any dial-up users?

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jurgen Richter <yahoo-1@...> wrote:
>
> What I guess is implied and no one has mentioned, is the fact that all
> this cloud stuff is going to consume your internet bandwidth quota -
> every file you upload , download and sync presumably is not free. So
> those who have constrained data packages will wake up to a surprise at
> the end of the month. Please - do correct me if I am mistaken. I too
> have production machines and such requirements and that is a cost of
> doing business... and is built into my billables... but for those on
> dial-up (still) and satellite service in remote areas, I'm not sure it's
> that much of a benefit over eventual cost... is it? Will this cloud
> phenomenon run on free airwaves, or what? Still under OS10.6.8... and no
> hurry to move to lion, mountain lion, sea lion, ant lion, or?
>

7a.

iMac not waking up

Posted by: "bobbystar" bobbystar@yahoo.com   bobbystar

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:01 pm (PST)



For about the past month my iMac model 10,1 is not waking up when I try to use it. Running Mac OS X 1-.7.3 . Usually I touch any key and it wakes up but a few times a week I have to hold the on button or unplug it and then restart. Moving or clicking the mouse does not help.

Is there a key combination that I can use? Other than that is there anything else I should check or investigate?

TIA,

Bobby

7b.

Re: iMac not waking up

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:10 am (PST)



Does it start up if you force a shutdown (hold down the power key for 10*
seconds), then press the power key again?

* I don't have the exact time, but I think it's more than 5.

Otto

On 17 February 2012 04:01, bobbystar <bobbystar@yahoo.com> wrote:

> For about the past month my iMac model 10,1 is not waking up when I try to
> use it. Running Mac OS X 1-.7.3 . Usually I touch any key and it wakes up
> but a few times a week I have to hold the on button or unplug it and then
> restart. Moving or clicking the mouse does not help.
>
> Is there a key combination that I can use? Other than that is there
> anything else I should check or investigate?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8a.

Re: Next OS Announced/released to developers!

Posted by: "jayant m" jmurthy@yahoo.com   jmurthy

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:03 pm (PST)





--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Harry Flaxman <harry.flaxman@...> wrote:
>
> On 2/16/2012 12:21 PM, Rob Frankel wrote:
> > At 12:08 PM -0500 2/16/12, Harry Flaxman wrote thusly:
> >> >On 2/16/2012 12:00 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:
> >>> >> OS 10.8, Mountain Lion, was announced this morning and released for
> >>> >> testing to developers!
> >> >
> >> >Just watched the video on Apple's site re 10.8. Getting to look more
> >> >and more like iOS on a desktop.
> >> >
> >> >Don't know if I'll go this route. It also brings Message Center to OS
> >> >X, which might seriously put a dent in the Growl system. I love Growl
> >> >and it's flexibility. Probably keep it even if I do up to Mountain Lion.
> >> >
> > Yep. If I do choose to go this route, I'll probably end up with two
> > machines: one to do serious work (10.6.8) and some smaller toy for
> > all the toys and shiny things. :D
>
> Good point! I still like versions under 10.7. That, for me, is still
> part of a 'serious' machine right now.
>
> Harry
>

One of the reasons I switched to OSX when I had to leave OS/2 was because of the Unix core. It has made it easy for astronomers to use and share unix/linux programs. I worry that the increasing consumer focus will lead to a loss in the flexibility that I need. I was happy with Snow Leopard and less so with Lion.

Jayant

8b.

Re: Next OS Announced/released to developers!

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:29 pm (PST)



On 2/17/2012 12:02 AM, jayant m wrote:
> One of the reasons I switched to OSX when I had to leave OS/2 was because of the Unix core. It has made it easy for astronomers to use and share unix/linux programs. I worry that the increasing consumer focus will lead to a loss in the flexibility that I need. I was happy with Snow Leopard and less so with Lion.

I use Unix quite a bit myself and it has been my experience that Apple
has rarely removed from the kernel, and has added to it occcasionally.
When I have found a command removed/replaced, there has always been a
link to the replacement command/routine and they have always seemed to
remain compatible/consistent.

Harry

8c.

Re: Next OS Announced/released to developers!

Posted by: "randydeckerca" randydecker@telus.net   randydeckerca

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:13 am (PST)



I'm not sure why you might feel that Lion or Mountain Lion might impact your use of Unix apps. Please explain.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "jayant m" <jmurthy@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Harry Flaxman <harry.flaxman@> wrote:
> >
> > On 2/16/2012 12:21 PM, Rob Frankel wrote:
> > > At 12:08 PM -0500 2/16/12, Harry Flaxman wrote thusly:
> > >> >On 2/16/2012 12:00 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:
> > >>> >> OS 10.8, Mountain Lion, was announced this morning and released for
> > >>> >> testing to developers!
> > >> >
> > >> >Just watched the video on Apple's site re 10.8. Getting to look more
> > >> >and more like iOS on a desktop.
> > >> >
> > >> >Don't know if I'll go this route. It also brings Message Center to OS
> > >> >X, which might seriously put a dent in the Growl system. I love Growl
> > >> >and it's flexibility. Probably keep it even if I do up to Mountain Lion.
> > >> >
> > > Yep. If I do choose to go this route, I'll probably end up with two
> > > machines: one to do serious work (10.6.8) and some smaller toy for
> > > all the toys and shiny things. :D
> >
> > Good point! I still like versions under 10.7. That, for me, is still
> > part of a 'serious' machine right now.
> >
> > Harry
> >
>
> One of the reasons I switched to OSX when I had to leave OS/2 was because of the Unix core. It has made it easy for astronomers to use and share unix/linux programs. I worry that the increasing consumer focus will lead to a loss in the flexibility that I need. I was happy with Snow Leopard and less so with Lion.
>
> Jayant
>

8d.

Re: Next OS Announced/released to developers!

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:43 am (PST)



On 2/17/2012 3:13 AM, randydeckerca wrote:
> I'm not sure why you might feel that Lion or Mountain Lion might impact your use of Unix apps. Please explain.

Easy enough! Apple has modified the Unix command set over the years.
They have added commands as well as antiquated certain command sets. I
cannot give you an example at this point as my machine is in for service
at the moment. I know that I have run across this in the past. I will
cite an example as soon as I can.

Remember, Apple OWNS the sole rights to the kernel it uses, the Darwin
kernel, so they may implement it as they see fit.

Harry

9.1.

Re: Finder alternative

Posted by: "Andrew Buc" andrewbuc@staxman.net   andrewbuc

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:47 am (PST)



On Feb 14, 2012, at 5:16 AM, Chris Jones wrote:

> > It has been a while since I gave up on Finder (except for where
> the OS forces its use), but as I recall my primary difficulties
> were lack of Explorer-like side-by-side windows (for dragging and
> dropping),
>
> Just open two Finder windows, and place them side by side.... Or am I
> missing something here ...

I say this as someone who could probably use some Finder pilot
training myself. But on my Windows computers, both at home and at
work, I have a couple of file managers that have 2 or more panes. I
see a couple of advantages to them:

1) If I give the focus to the file manager, I have my 2 panes right
there, with no need to select/position/size 2 separate windows.
2) At least under Windows, file managers usually let you move or copy
a file from one pane to the other, using a function key.

ForkLift is supposed to be a good file manager, but since it requires
a newer version of OS X than I have, I can't speak from experience:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24467/forklift

9.2.

Re: Finder alternative

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:43 am (PST)



On Feb 16, 2012, at 6:13 PM, Andrew Buc wrote:
>
> I say this as someone who could probably use some Finder pilot
> training myself. But on my Windows computers, both at home and at
> work, I have a couple of file managers that have 2 or more panes. I
> see a couple of advantages to them:
>
> 1) If I give the focus to the file manager, I have my 2 panes right
> there, with no need to select/position/size 2 separate windows.
> 2) At least under Windows, file managers usually let you move or copy
> a file from one pane to the other, using a function key.

There is a small freeware program that gives you a little landing pad for items you want to move. You drag a file to the landing pad, then navigate to where you want to move the item, then drag it off the pad. It's called XShelf, and I recommend that you have a look.

<http://homepage.mac.com/khsu/Projects/Projects.html>

Daly
10a.

Snow Leopard leap to Mountain Lion?

Posted by: "Ian Gillis" tessel.bas@gmail.com   ianjgillis

Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:54 am (PST)



Currently running OS 10.6.8 on my Mac Mini, I've been weeding out the
PPC applications and waiting for the fur to settle before moving to
Lion.

Now I hear that Mountain Lion is crouched ready to pounce -

a) Should I go to Lion now or wait for Mountain Lion?
b) Will I be able to upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion?

I can't get too excited about some of the extra features of Mountain
Lion, like Notifications and Messaging, but I would hope that any Lion
bugs would be fixed in Mountain Lion.

I came back into the Mac fold relatively recently and stayed with
non-Mac products like GMail and Picasa, so synchronising contacts,
calendars and photos is already a muddle. My wife uses the iPad mostly
but we should have synchronised calendar and contact details - but I
set her up as a separate profile on my Mac so I don't share my
Gigabytes of iTunes music with her iPad, so it doesn't sync over the
network when on charge unless I leave the Mac running her profile. I
rather hoped that using iCloud space might help - and I'd like an
iPad3 and an iPhone when we get mobile network coverage here in the
French countryside.

My first Apple was a Lisa and I was impressed then with how the Lisa
software was integrated and cross-compatible. It seems that
system-wide thinking is still a major attribute of Apple - except when
people like me try to fit in the pieces of another jigsaw!

regards
--
 Ian Gillis C Eng MIET
_______________________
Mac Mini 2010 OS 10.6.8
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
4GB RAM 500GB HD
Samsung Syncmaster 226BW
2 TB ext HD

iPad 1 16GB WiFi only iOS 5.0.1

10b.

Re: Snow Leopard leap to Mountain Lion?

Posted by: "Jon Kreisler" jonkreisler@gmail.com   jonkreisler

Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:09 am (PST)



Since you are already running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) the App Store
application is available to you. Distribution will be via App Store so you
should be able to download the Mountain Lion installer app from there and
run it. Apple has not yet announced the pricing for Mountain Lion, so that
may be the deciding factor as to go Lion or Mountain Lion. Personally,
nothing jumps out at me, so far, as desirable new features in Mountain
Lion, so I am going to take a wait-and-see approach.

Jon

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 5:54 AM, Ian Gillis <tessel.bas@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Currently running OS 10.6.8 on my Mac Mini, I've been weeding out the
> PPC applications and waiting for the fur to settle before moving to
> Lion.
>
> Now I hear that Mountain Lion is crouched ready to pounce -
>
> a) Should I go to Lion now or wait for Mountain Lion?
> b) Will I be able to upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion?
>
> I can't get too excited about some of the extra features of Mountain
> Lion, like Notifications and Messaging, but I would hope that any Lion
> bugs would be fixed in Mountain Lion.
>
> I came back into the Mac fold relatively recently and stayed with
> non-Mac products like GMail and Picasa, so synchronising contacts,
> calendars and photos is already a muddle. My wife uses the iPad mostly
> but we should have synchronised calendar and contact details - but I
> set her up as a separate profile on my Mac so I don't share my
> Gigabytes of iTunes music with her iPad, so it doesn't sync over the
> network when on charge unless I leave the Mac running her profile. I
> rather hoped that using iCloud space might help - and I'd like an
> iPad3 and an iPhone when we get mobile network coverage here in the
> French countryside.
>
> My first Apple was a Lisa and I was impressed then with how the Lisa
> software was integrated and cross-compatible. It seems that
> system-wide thinking is still a major attribute of Apple - except when
> people like me try to fit in the pieces of another jigsaw!
>
> regards
> --
>  Ian Gillis C Eng MIET
> _______________________
> Mac Mini 2010 OS 10.6.8
> Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
> 4GB RAM 500GB HD
> Samsung Syncmaster 226BW
> 2 TB ext HD
>
> iPad 1 16GB WiFi only iOS 5.0.1
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web