2/24/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8758

Messages In This Digest (18 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Free or Inexpensive Shipping Label Software

Posted by: "missladybee" beadedimages@earthlink.net   missladybee

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:53 pm (PST)



FYI, Swordfish Express was the name of the free software that Endicia finally incorporated into their mailing system several years ago. To my surprise the software still exists and work quite well on OS X 10.2.8 or Greater (not sure if that includes Lion as I am still in the Snow Leopard mode).

http://www.buyolympia.com/software/products/swordfishexpress/v1/

Its main drawback is that it can only print to a printer and not to a label printer like Zebra. The best part about it is it generates a free "delivery confirmation" number that allows the user to track their package through the postal service. And it verifies postal addresses.

I have tried many of the suggestions. SoHo looks good, although I'm not into designer labels. Using the Mac Addressbook works if as suggested you use the Envelope option to have the return address option and then resize to the label size you want. This will in fact print to the Zebra labeler, if you have the Zebra EPL 2 label printer driver installed in the Print & Fax Preferences.

Barbara E

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Daly Jessup <jessup@...> wrote:
>
> On Feb 21, 2012, at 3:04 PM, missladybee wrote:
>
> > I have an online business and use Endicia software for my shipping labels. It's a great program with a monthly fee and integrated into the postal service system for purchasing postage.
> >
> > Before Endicia for Mac there used to be a free software program named after some sort of a fish (Shark or something like that). I can't remember the name and it probably doesn't exist any longer. Anybody remember such a program?
> >
> > What I am looking for is a simple, free or very inexpensive program that will print 4 x 6 labels with both sender and receiver address information, no postage. I have messed with the label printing feature that is built into Mac's, but it only printed the receivers address, no return address option.
> >
> > Anybody know of any such shipping label software for Mac's?
>
>
> I would suggest SOHO Labels & Envelopes.
> <http://www.amazon.com/Soho-Labels-Envelopes-Chronos-L-C/dp/B00030IEJ6>
>
> Daly
>

2a.

Re: MacBook Pro 8.2; OS X 10.7.3: 3 beeps from gray screen awakening

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:16 pm (PST)



Howdy.

Listen to your wife.

Don't stack.

I don't know what happened. Maybe it got too hot when stacked?

The beeps could indicate a RAM problem.

Read here:

- - - - -
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2341#>

Intel-based Mac Power On Self Test RAM error codes

Summary

Intel-based Macs such as the iMac, Mac mini, MacBook, MacBook Pro, and
Mac Pro rely on a combination of tones and blinking LEDs to display
Power On Self Test (POST) error codes. Note that some newer Macintosh
models only use tones to indicate error conditions. See this article
for more information.

Products Affected: Mac Pro, Mac mini, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook
Pro, iMac
- - - - -

The Power On Self Test is also called the POST.

You might try reseating the RAM.

You might also try a SMC reset.

I would also try a cold boot. Boot from shut down instead of a restart
from already running.

Denver Dan

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 09:19:49 -0800, James Robertson wrote:
> Couldn't find an explanation for this on the support section of
> Apple's website:
>
> Early this morning I set my sleeping MacBook Pro (early 2011, 8 GB
> RAM, 10.7.3) directly on top of my wife's sleeping MacBook Pro and
> plugged her MagSafe power adapter into my laptop to charge its
> battery.
>
> When I came back a few hours later the LED on the MagSafe plug was
> green, but when I opened the display/lid, the screen stayed black. I
> assumed this meant that the computer had entered a "deep sleep" mode
> because of near-exhaustion of its battery before I recharged it. I
> pressed the power button briefly, got the expected "uhh-uhh" noise
> (which I think comes from the DVD drive), then a gray screen with a
> "dash-dash-dash" type progress bar that slowly filled in (all of
> which seemed normal).
>
> HOWEVER, the progress bar never completely filled in. Instead, after
> filling in about 80%, it stopped, and a repeating pattern of 3
> monotone beeps, at about 1 per second, occurred. I stopped this by
> pressing and HOLDING the power switch, which caused the machine to
> reboot (also as expected).
>
> Fortunately, (although it booted into my 10.6.8 partition first),
> when I restarted with the option key held down it allowed me to
> select my Lion partition and booted into it successfully. At the
> completion of boot, it relaunched the apps that were running before I
> put it to sleep last night, but the bottom third or so of the
> Mail.app main window was scrambled (looked like random horizontal
> scan lines on a TV monitor). Mail quit without me doing anything (and
> without any notifications from the OS), and when I launched it again,
> all seemed well.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. What's the significance of the 3 tones? I found several articles
> on Apple's website that reference power management issues on older
> (G4 PPC) computers, as well as a few that talk about incompletely
> installed firmware updates on Intel MacBook Pro machines, but none
> that seemed to address what just happened to me.
>
> 2. My wife (who's almost afraid of her laptop) said "don't stack them
> on top of one another." I dismissed her suggestion until I found
> articles on Apple's website that say "don't stack them on top of one
> another" (!). However, these articles seem to apply to older machines
> (the issue is that the way the computer "knows" that the lid is
> closed is because of a magnetic proximity switch that is triggered
> when the lid/screen meets Jony Ive's "single machined billet of solid
> al-u-MIN-i-um." However, what goes wrong here is that the computer on
> top decides it's asleep when it's not and can't finish waking up when
> the screen is opened. I infer from the models that appear to be
> affected that this isn't an issue with the recent machines, but I'm
> not so sure about this. Any have experiences with this?
>
> thanks,
>
>
> --
> Jim Robertson
>
>

2b.

Re: MacBook Pro 8.2; OS X 10.7.3: 3 beeps from gray screen awakening

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:15 pm (PST)




On Feb 23, 2012, at 2:16 PM, Denver Dan wrote:

> I don't know what happened. Maybe it got too hot when stacked?

I don't think so. My wife's MacBook Pro was powered off, and mine was sleeping, just recharging its battery. The freeze on awakening may have had nothing to do with the stacking. Neither computer was hot when I tried to wake mine up.

Thanks for the pointer to the support article.

As far as the RAM is concerned, I've not had troubles with it before or since; I've restarted (both power off and by "Restart" from the Apple menu several times since this happened, and haven't had any recurrences. Guess I'll just wait for a next occurrence. I don't have Apple RAM in the computer, but it's lifetime warranty RAM from OWC. I didn't notice when the three tones were repeating whether the power LED was blinking at the same time.

Being confused by the magnetic screen lid open/close sensor of the computer underneath it when the lid of the upper one was open may really be the answer, but that's so obscure that I'll bet only some hardware engineers would have a clue about that.

--
Jim Robertson

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3a.

Re: External wifi adapter for iMac G5

Posted by: "Steve B." macosx@xebrawerx.com   xebrawerx

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:23 pm (PST)



I tried the After The Mac external wifi unit last Fall on an old iMac. It seemed competent even if the driver seemed about as advanced as System 7. Now when I go to afterthemac.com it comes up "Server not found."

Time to try another external adapter. This time on a old G5 tower.

Randy at the time chimed in with Bear Extender. Is that the best option going these days for old Macs without built-in wifi?

Steve B.

4a.

Re: Window display messed up - fixed

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:02 pm (PST)



On Feb 23, 2012, at 9:42 AM, Keith Whaley wrote:
>
> just an addition to Todd's and your posts: I have heard about Eudora for
> so long, but had no idea what it really was, so (typical of my brain
> these days) I Googled it.
>
> Seems Qualcomm is NOT out of business, and altho' they may well have
> decided to not continue with SOME versions of Eudora, apparently that's
> not totally true!

It's completely true. Qualcomm is most definitely NOT out of business. But they are a semiconductor company. They bought Eudora years ago, then recognized that an email program was not their line of business, and they put it out to the open source community.

They supported the open source community for years (maybe they still do, I don't know) but "Eudora" is now a couple of versions of open source email programs that bear little resemblance to the original program. And it does NOT belong to Qualcomm any more.

> Do Google "Eudora" and look at some of the entries, see what you can find.

You won't find the original Eudora. You will find open source programs that are attempting to look and behave sort of like the original Eudora.

Daly
(very happy Qualcomm employee)

_________________________________________________________
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 27" screen, OS X 10.6.8,
AMD Radeon HD 6970M video, wired Apple mouse and keyboard. Partition: GUID Partition Table.

4b.

Re: Window display messed up - fixed

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:05 pm (PST)



On Feb 23, 2012, at 12:32 PM, Denver Dan wrote:

> I have a soft spot for corporations that support the performing arts.
> A number of years ago Qualcomm (based in San Diego) donated one million
> dollars to the broke San Diego Symphony and saved it. Why didn't they
> donate Eudora to the San Diego Symphony and have them continue
> development???

The San Diego Symphony is no more in the email software business than Qualcomm is.
And Qualcomm (or Irwin Jacobs) donated, not $1,000,000, but $100,000,000 to save the San Diego Symphony.

Daly
5a.

Re: Installing software for use without disc

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:08 pm (PST)



On Feb 23, 2012, at 1:01 PM, Denver Dan wrote:
> I do this with Sim City so I don't
> have to insert the DVD.

Many games are copy protected discs (at least on Windows). A simple image often won't work. It does not copy the "protection" information correctly or doesn't copy properly at all. Some of these schemes are devious. The copy appears to work, but the game becomes buggy and unstable because there is built in corruption. The copy protection tells the game to ignore the corrupt data, but this info is lost when you copy.

All this is from PC experience and not all games have sophisticated protection. There are many utilities out there for cracking this protection, though some discs simply can't be copied in a standard burner. They require "overburning" which not all burners can do.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6a.

Minidisplayport (or Thunderbolt) to HDMI adapters

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:19 pm (PST)



I've downloaded some HD movies to my laptop, and it would be nice to watch them on the HD TV in hotel rooms instead of paying more than theater prices to watch low-res versions provided by the hotel video services.

I've found two Minidisplayport to HDMI adapters, one from Griffin (apparently not sold at the Apple Store), another from Moshi, which has > 90% "this is a POS" reviews on the vendor's own website. Does anyone have any experience with the Griffin product?

Thanks,

--
Jim Robertson

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6b.

Re: Minidisplayport (or Thunderbolt) to HDMI adapters

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:51 pm (PST)



On 2/23/2012 9:19 PM, James Robertson wrote:
> I've downloaded some HD movies to my laptop, and it would be nice to watch them on the HD TV in hotel rooms instead of paying more than theater prices to watch low-res versions provided by the hotel video services.
>
> I've found two Minidisplayport to HDMI adapters, one from Griffin (apparently not sold at the Apple Store), another from Moshi, which has> 90% "this is a POS" reviews on the vendor's own website. Does anyone have any experience with the Griffin product?

I use a Griffin mini-displayport to DVI adapter, which I connect a DVI
to HDMI cable.

I've not had any problems with the Griffin adapter.

If you don't need to pass audio via the HDMI cable, if your machine is
capable of it, I'd recommend this route.

Harry

6c.

Re: Minidisplayport (or Thunderbolt) to HDMI adapters

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:04 am (PST)




On Feb 23, 2012, at 6:19 PM, James Robertson wrote:

> I've found two Minidisplayport to HDMI adapters, one from Griffin
> (apparently not sold at the Apple Store), another from Moshi, which
> has > 90% "this is a POS" reviews on the vendor's own website

I've been recommending this:

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter
$6.65
http://is.gd/hrjeP5
Reviews:
http://is.gd/BhBiy4

You will also need an HDMI cable to go with the adapter. I recommend
this premium one:

4 ft HDMI cable
$5.67
http://is.gd/XgjQI2

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

6d.

Re: Minidisplayport (or Thunderbolt) to HDMI adapters

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:33 am (PST)




On Feb 23, 2012, at 6:50 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> I use a Griffin mini-displayport to DVI adapter, which I connect a DVI
> to HDMI cable.
>
> I've not had any problems with the Griffin adapter.
>
> If you don't need to pass audio via the HDMI cable, if your machine is
> capable of it, I'd recommend this route.
>
> Harry

Thanks, Harry.

Never having considered doing this sort of thing before, I assumed that all one would need would be the right cables and an unoccupied HDMI port on the TV in a hotel room. However, last night after dinner I set out to watch the Ayrton Senna documentary I'd rented from Apple (downloaded to my iPad2 - I already have the correct adapter and cable for that - and discovered that the TV in my hotel room is somehow "locked" to an interface driven by a Phillips-Zenith remote that is common in many hotels, so that I have no access to the ports on the TV.

I've never tried to watch my own movies on a hotel flatscreen HD-TV before (this one is a Panasonic 46" plasma). I can see that there are LOTS of reasons hotels don't want guests messing with the myriad of color balance/aspect ratio/contrast/sound output configuration options on contemporary televisions, but I'm wondering also if I've encountered a simple technique the hotels use to maximize their revenue stream - don't let the guest bring his own content on his laptop, iOS device, or other mobile device. If so, at least I figured it out before spending the money on the Minidisplayport adapter.

--
Jim Robertson

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6e.

Re: Minidisplayport (or Thunderbolt) to HDMI adapters

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:44 am (PST)




On Feb 24, 2012, at 1:04 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> I've been recommending this:
>
> Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter
> $6.65

The tenor of the reviews of this product couldn't be more of a polar opposite from those that scream in unison about the apparent fragility of the Moshi adapter. The most remarkable thing about those reviews is that they cry out from Moshi's own web store <http://store.moshimonde.com/hdmi-adapter-1.html>.

However, as I noted in my message to Harry Flaxman, the whole notion of enjoying content loaded onto an iPad, iPhone, or laptop on a hotel HD flatscreen TV with a bevvy of HDMI ports may be moot, since the hotels seem to lock the guest out of any access to the television's own configuration interface.

--
Jim Robertson

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6f.

Re: Minidisplayport (or Thunderbolt) to HDMI adapters

Posted by: "Jim Harry" jim.harry@harryfamily.com   jnharry

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:46 am (PST)



On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Randy B. Singer <randy@macattorney.com> wrote:
> I've been recommending this:
>
> Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter
> $6.65
> http://is.gd/hrjeP5
> Reviews:
> http://is.gd/BhBiy4
>
> You will also need an HDMI cable to go with the adapter.  I recommend
> this premium one:
>
> 4 ft HDMI cable
> $5.67
> http://is.gd/XgjQI2

I've been using Monoprice's thunderbolt/mini displayport to hdmi
adapter with great success:
$6.65
http://bit.ly/5ldeX

Jim H.

7a.

Re: Question on Mail Filters - Rule not working consistently

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:15 pm (PST)



Without looking at that specific rule and and the all the others and the order in which you have them.

My best wild guess is move that rule further up in the order of rules.

The rules are acted upon in the order in which they appear, and once they move an email they stop further actions.

After that, you would have to study the spam to figure out how they are getting around your rules.

Brent

On Feb 23, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Jay Abraham wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've set up filters for Mail so that all Mail that doesn't come from people who are in my Address book, or some specific domains are automatically sent to the Junk Mail folder.
>
> Recently, I've been receiving a number of spam messages that are somehow bypassing the Mail Rule and ending up in my inbox. On the other hand, the Rule isn't completely broken a lot of messages are still being sent to the Junk Mail folder.
>
> Is there some preference file I need to trash so that the Rule works all the time or is this some new Junk Mail trick that is circumventing the rule?

7b.

Re: Question on Mail Filters - Rule not working consistently

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:51 am (PST)



Hi Brent,

Thanks for the suggestion. I only have this rule and the standard Apple rule that is installed by default. This rule is the first. In looking at the messages that are getting by the rule the only pattern I see is that the message have no content, they seem to be purely an image and other message that arrive at the same time from the same e-mail address are routed to the junk folder.

Jay

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 24, 2012, at 1:15 AM, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> Without looking at that specific rule and and the all the others and the order in which you have them.
>
> My best wild guess is move that rule further up in the order of rules.
>
> The rules are acted upon in the order in which they appear, and once they move an email they stop further actions.
>
> After that, you would have to study the spam to figure out how they are getting around your rules.
>
> Brent
>
> On Feb 23, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Jay Abraham wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've set up filters for Mail so that all Mail that doesn't come from people who are in my Address book, or some specific domains are automatically sent to the Junk Mail folder.
> >
> > Recently, I've been receiving a number of spam messages that are somehow bypassing the Mail Rule and ending up in my inbox. On the other hand, the Rule isn't completely broken a lot of messages are still being sent to the Junk Mail folder.
> >
> > Is there some preference file I need to trash so that the Rule works all the time or is this some new Junk Mail trick that is circumventing the rule?
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7c.

Re: Question on Mail Filters - Rule not working consistently

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:44 am (PST)



On Feb 24, 2012, at 2:15 AM, N.A. Nada wrote:
> The rules are acted upon in the order in which they appear, and once they move an email they stop further actions.

This behavior puzzled me a few days ago. If Mail automatically stops processing after a rule, then there is no need for the "Stop evaluating rules" criterion, and there clearly is one. I was having trouble with this the other day.

My end results suggested that Mail stops evaluating rules for a specific email when that email is removed from the Inbox OR when it hit's the Stop Eval criterion. Can anyone confirm as I am too lazy right now to do the research myself. ;)

In either case, you want to move your "junk" rules to the top of the list. You might also add the Stop Eval criterion just for good measure.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8a.

Re: Tip: Repair without your Install Disks

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:52 am (PST)




On Feb 23, 2012, at 7:14 AM, Tod Hopkins wrote:

> You don't need Installation disks to "repair" your system drive.
> Booting into "Safe Mode" includes an automatic Disk Utility
> "repair" of the system drive.

I talk about this on my Web site:

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
Item #5

Apple has a tech note about it here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

9a.

Re: Tip:  Clear lots of space!

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:58 am (PST)




On Feb 23, 2012, at 10:40 AM, DaveC wrote:

> Is this something performed by a maintenance utility (if so, which?),
> or a task best done manually (if so, how?)?

Yes. You can learn about which utility to use, and the upside and
downside of clearing caches at:

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
Item #3
Cache Out X is a free program specifically designed to give you
control over clearing your caches:
http://www.trilateralsystems.com/CacheOutX/

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Sell Online

Start selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web