2/27/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8765

Messages In This Digest (10 Messages)

Messages

1.1.

Re: OS X Mountain Lion to be download-only, USB stick going the way

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:41 pm (PST)




On Feb 26, 2012, at 2:33 PM, OBrien wrote:

> I'm just amazed that so many people are willing to jump through all
> kinds of hoops to try to download a download-only operating system
> just because Apple chooses (if they do) to not sell it on a disc,
> forcing people to try to download it using, evidently, not ready
> for primetime methods to do this. I bet if a lot of people refused
> to buy the new system, if it IS download-only, it would take Apple
> long to decide to send it out on disc.

But that's just it. Apple correctly surmised that the vast majority
of Mac users now have high speed access to the Internet. Lion was
successfully downloaded by a huge number of users. The USB flash
drive option was not purchased in overwhelming numbers by users and
Apple Stores weren't flooded by users looking to download Lion in-store.

Apple has a history of making this kind of calculated paradigm
shift. It seems to have worked out wonderfully for them every single
time...with the rest of the industry soon following. Yes, there will
always be some users who are inconvenienced, but that is outweighed
by the vast majority of users who are fine with it. You aren't going
to find enough Mac users to cause an insurrection over this.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

1.2.

Re: OS X Mountain Lion to be download-only, USB stick going the way

Posted by: "Bob Cook" cookrd1@discoveryowners.com   cookrd1

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:19 pm (PST)



Ok, so you get your new OS X from Apple on USB or DVD.....what are you
going to do for UPDATES? The last Lion update was 1.2 GB as I recall.

Don't get me wrong, I sympathize, but that is not the way the world is
going.

-Bob

>
> > I'm just amazed that so many people are willing to jump through all
> > kinds of hoops to try to download a download-only operating system
> > just because Apple chooses (if they do) to not sell it on a disc,
> > forcing people to try to download it using, evidently, not ready
> > for primetime methods to do this. I bet if a lot of people refused
> > to buy the new system, if it IS download-only, it would take Apple
> > long to decide to send it out on disc.
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: can't play DVD copy

Posted by: "Oneal Neumann" wardell.h.s@gmail.com   newalander

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:57 pm (PST)




> On 2012 February 26 (at 12:29) Denver Dan wrote:
>
> Howdy. How did you make the copy of the DVD?
>
> You just can't 'copy' many commercial-video DVDs, the kinds with a
> Video_TS folders that contain actual video contents, commands,
> links, menus and more.
>
> Try RIPping the contents of the DVD to your harddrive first. Do this
> with a program like Handbrake, MacTheRipper or RipIt.
>
> MacTheRipper free version requires Rosetta and won't work on Lion.
>
> Then you can play this RIPped video with a program like VLC (free to
> download).
>
> You can also convert the video into other file formats for convenience
> if you wish to keep them on a hard drive.
>
> If you wish to burn a new DVD with the movie you have RIPped, you can
> with a program like Roxio Toast (and others).
>
> These all have to do with a variety of copy-protection schemes and
> antipiracy schemes even if you have purchased the original DVD
> video and just want to have a copy for yourself.
>
> The several 'schemes' are called:
>
> 1. MacroVision: makes a VHS video skip or flutter if copied.
> 2. Region coding: the world of DVDs and DVD players is divided in
> several number-coded regions.
> 3. copy protection of several kinds.
>
> Apple's DVD Player adheres to some of these copy schemes and won't
> play some kinds of videos as a result. Try VLC. Denver Dan
>

I just dropped the DVDs into folders to copy them, Dan. That was my first instinct. Each disc contains an AUDIO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS folder, which were copied.

I take it that I can't use the newly copied folders to burn new discs. Or can I? I have VLC, but I've never used it for anything other than downloading an .m3u playlist.

I've copied 6 discs so far to a LaCie 250 GB drive, which I plan to leave behind. It was a later thought that I would leave the originals here and take copies with me so that I don't have to take more stuff than necessary with me. I think that the 10 discs will set me back about 80 GB of harddrive space, which I would like to store just on my backup drive. (I plan to take two backup drives with me to Europe.)

I just downloaded the most recent VLC version. I'll try your suggestion, Dan. Anything else?

Thanx. Oneal

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3.

Some VPN questions and observations

Posted by: "Tight Guy" jcrowe@jcrowe.net   jcrowe1950

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:34 pm (PST)



Hi Folks,

I finally bit the bullet and have started using VPN for reasons of security and privacy protection. I am using faceless.me as a service, which is in Amsterdam, and I use Viscosity as a VPN client. What VPN does is to provide a secure tunnel between your computer and whatever network you are accessing. This means that you can have an encrypted pipeline regardless of whatever insecure network you are using. I would never, for instance, use a public wireless network without VPN. Another advantage of VPN is that your browsing cannot be tracked when you are using VPN because it makes your IP address look different than the IP address assigned to your computer/router. Because my VPN server is in Amsterdam, it looks to Google or whatever might track me as if I'm over there. This does present a problem with streaming Netflix, but I can get another U.S. based VPN if I want to stream Netflix. The other advantage of this particular VPN service is that they don't track your usage, so, even if any government agency wants to track your habits, they can't. I'm a real stickler for privacy so this appeals to me. Does anybody here have any suggestions for VPN software that should be covered in this group (Randy, Otto et al?)

Tight Guy

4a.

Re: Safari can't find the server

Posted by: "paul smith" kullervo@nycap.rr.com   waldonny

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:46 pm (PST)



If that is happening with only one web page, then the site is probably down.
If it happens when you try to load any web page, then you probably need to change your Network settings in System Preferences.
--
PSmith
MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.7.3 iPhone 4S 64 GB, iOS 5.0.1

On Feb 26, 2012, at 8:37 PM, gloriajstitcher@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Why oh Why do I keep getting this message and my Mac won't open the web page???

4b.

Re: Safari can't find the server

Posted by: "Jurgen Richter" yahoo-1@sympatico.ca   epsongroups

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:14 pm (PST)



Why oh Why do I keep getting this message and my Mac won't open the web
page???

Either the host/server is down;
You typed in the website/page incorrectly;
You may have https:// in the name when it is not a secure site (do not
include "s", try http://...)
The web page does not exist as typed;
You are not connected to the internet;
Your modem is broken;
Your connection to your modem is interrupted, either the wireless does
not function or your wire is bad; (my cat bit through one recently,
although all other items were set correctly and otherwise functional).

hth

5.

"Quick Look Helper": not so much...

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:14 pm (PST)



I did my weekly AppleJack maintenance this evening and then rebooted.

Noticed that the cooling fan was racing so checked the reported
processor temps: 194! Activity Monitor showed something called "Quick
Look Helper" taking 200 percent CPU bandwidth. I looked in Finder and
nothing was being "Quick Look'd", so using Activity Monitor I quit
the process. All is good now.

Any ideas why this happened?

Thanks,
Dave
--
2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 / 4 GB / 750 GB
OS X 10.6.8 (yes, Snow Leopard)

6a.

Re: moving emails from one computer to another

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:14 am (PST)



On Feb 26, 2012, at 6:38 PM, Louise Stewart wrote:

> so simple for most people

It is not so simple for most people. Don't undersell yourself.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com

7a.

Re: Difference Between 64-bit and 32-bit Intel Mode

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:30 am (PST)



The question is an interesting one. I'm afraid I can't answer it at a technical level, only crudely. 32 and 64-bit apps can't communicate with each other directly. While OSX can run both 32-bit and 64-bit apps, they are isolated from each other, communicating with different parts of the OS.

This means that functions that must be closely tied, like applications and drivers, or plug-ins, or application suites, don't mix.

In your case, it's the 64-bit app trying to communicate with the 32-bit twain driver. Canon could fix the problem by writing a 64-bit twain driver. Another common example is 64-bit Firefox trying to use 32-bit plug-ins.

Cheers,
tod

On Feb 26, 2012, at 5:03 PM, Jon Kreisler wrote:

> I know the Intel processors Apple uses are 64-bit addressing capable. These
> days, under OS X 10.7.x (Lion) 64-bit is considered native for applications.
> However, I have a problem with 64-bit programs. My scanner (an older Canon
> Canoscan 8400F) is not recognized by 64-bit programs.
> The only way I can use my scanner is if I force the programs to use 32-bit
> mode. (A check-box under Get Info for the applications.)
> The same programs, run in native 64-bit mode, say I do not have a scanner
> attached to my Mac Pro.
> Does anyone know why that is the case?
> Thanks for any insight.
> Jon
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8a.

Re: Is There a Way to Control Line Length in Mail ?

Posted by: "Hans Rijnbout" jrijnb@xs4all.nl   hans_rijnbout

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:53 am (PST)




On 27 feb. 2012, at 00:20, Nick Andriash wrote:

> One thing I cannot find in Mail is a preference setting to adjust line length when composing, regardless of whether I use a fixed-width font or rich text in preferences.

Why would you want to fix the line length when you know nothing about the width of the window at the receiving end?
Normal practice for mail and many other text documents is to let the reader determine the width.
If you have a very specific text layout which shouldn't be tampered with, send it as a pdf-attachment.

--
Hans Rijnbout
Utrecht, Netherlands

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web