2/26/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8763

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

1.1.
Re: OS X Mountain Lion to be download-only, USB stick going the way From: pat412255
1.2.
Re: OS X Mountain Lion to be download-only, USB stick going the way From: Jim Smith
1.3.
Re: OS X Mountain Lion to be download-only, USB stick going the way From: Bob Cook
1.4.
Re: OS X Mountain Lion to be download-only, USB stick going the way From: Jim Smith
1.5.
Re: OS X Mountain Lion to be download-only, USB stick going the way From: Harry Flaxman
1.6.
Re: OS X Mountain Lion to be download-only, USB stick going the way From: N.A. Nada
2a.
Re: How to move data from PDF to Numbers? From: Hans Rijnbout
2b.
Re: How to move data from PDF to Numbers? From: Jim Saklad
2c.
Re: How to move data from PDF to Numbers? From: N.A. Nada
2d.
Re: How to move data from PDF to Numbers? From: N.A. Nada
3a.
Re: moving emails from one computer to another From: Jay Abraham
3b.
Re: moving emails from one computer to another From: jahlstrom78
3c.
Re: moving emails from one computer to another From: Harry Flaxman
4a.
Re: Synch problems with iCloud From: Bill Morton
5a.
Re: Synchronization bug/problem with iCloud. From: Bill Morton
5b.
Re: Synchronization bug/problem with iCloud. From: Jim Saklad
6a.
Re: can't play DVD copy From: Denver Dan
7a.
Trackpad clicking "sticking" From: Michael Dunn
7b.
Re: Trackpad clicking "sticking" From: Jim Saklad
8a.
Re: CCLEANER From: Barbara B
8b.
Re: CCLEANER From: Jon Kreisler
8c.
Re: CCLEANER From: Harry Flaxman
9a.
Re: Application Safari Web Content From: Metaksa Tanya
10.
Clearing Google search history From: DaveC
11.
VLC 2.0 & Handbrake - A Fix From: Denver Dan

Messages

1.1.

Re: OS X Mountain Lion to be download-only, USB stick going the way

Posted by: "pat412255" pat412@mac.com   pat412255

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:34 am (PST)



Count me in on offering to help as might be needed.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Harry Flaxman <harry.flaxman@...> wrote:
>
> On 2/26/2012 12:35 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
> > When Mountain Lion comes out, if it is only available via download,
> > If you are willing to pay for Mountain Lion, and a big enough USB
> > flash drive, I'd be happy to download it, put it on the USB flash
> > drive, and mail it to you.
>
> Randy,
>
> I'll stand in line to provide that service as well!! :)
>
> Harry
>

1.2.

Re: OS X Mountain Lion to be download-only, USB stick going the way

Posted by: "Jim Smith" jas1931@gmail.com   jimmacsmith

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:51 am (PST)



That a good question. There are other sites that also would be a problem
for download scheduling. Maybe someone will come up with a solution. If I were still actively developing I would work on it.
Jim Smith
www.rvcarelogbook.com

On Feb 26, 2012, at 2:17 AM, Arjun Singhal wrote:

> how do you time app store downloads?
>
> Regards,
> Arjun
> blowtrumpet.com
>
> Join us on facebook.com/blowtrumpet and follow us on @blowtrumpet on twitter
>
> On 26-Feb-2012, at 4:46 AM, Bob Cook wrote:
>
>> Jim,
>>
>> On Hughesnet, you get unlimited downloads between 2AM and 7AM ET. You can
>> use a download manager such as Folx to start and suspend/stop your
>> downloads between these times.
>>
>> Getting ML on DVD or USB is really not a solution, unless you don't want
>> point updates. As an example, the last update to Lion was 1.2 GB, as I
>> recall.
>>
>> I wonder, since Best Buy sells Apple computers, will they let you use their
>> wifi? I agree that comments about "just go to an Apple store" are rather
>> ignorant since you said that would involve a 200 mile trip. Only two
>> land-based homes that I own are within 100 miles round trip from an Apple
>> store. And, even while traveling, getting to an Apple store can be a major
>> hassle.
>>
>> -Bob

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1.3.

Re: OS X Mountain Lion to be download-only, USB stick going the way

Posted by: "Bob Cook" cookrd1@discoveryowners.com   cookrd1

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:10 am (PST)



>how do you delay downloads from App store?

I use Folx. Set start and stop time in Preferences, then everything I
download I can choose to download immediately or scheduled. Handy also if
you don't want to tie up your internet connection. I see they have an
updated version of Folx that I haven't upgraded to, but I assume it works
the same. Scheduled downloading should be a feature of any OS.

Also, add me to the list of folks willing to download for others, but I
question the legality of this and his does Apple get paid.

Bob

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1.4.

Re: OS X Mountain Lion to be download-only, USB stick going the way

Posted by: "Jim Smith" jas1931@gmail.com   jimmacsmith

Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:18 am (PST)



I have Folx 2, Pro version. When I download from the App Store it does not interface to Folx. Have 6 updates available from the App Store, dl one and it did not interface to Folx (just did that).

Does it work with the App Store for you?

Jim Smith

On Feb 26, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Bob Cook wrote:

>> how do you delay downloads from App store?
>
> I use Folx. Set start and stop time in Preferences, then everything I
> download I can choose to download immediately or scheduled. Handy also if
> you don't want to tie up your internet connection. I see they have an
> updated version of Folx that I haven't upgraded to, but I assume it works
> the same. Scheduled downloading should be a feature of any OS.
>
> Also, add me to the list of folks willing to download for others, but I
> question the legality of this and his does Apple get paid.
>
> Bob

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1.5.

Re: OS X Mountain Lion to be download-only, USB stick going the way

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:05 pm (PST)



On 2/26/2012 9:34 AM, pat412255 wrote:
> Count me in on offering to help as might be needed.
>
> --- Inmacsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Harry Flaxman<harry.flaxman@...> wrote:
>> >
>> > On 2/26/2012 12:35 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
>>> > > When Mountain Lion comes out, if it is only available via download,
>>> > > If you are willing to pay for Mountain Lion, and a big enough USB
>>> > > flash drive, I'd be happy to download it, put it on the USB flash
>>> > > drive, and mail it to you.
>> >
>> > Randy,
>> >
>> > I'll stand in line to provide that service as well!!:)
>> >
>> > Harry
>> >

:) :)

Harry

1.6.

Re: OS X Mountain Lion to be download-only, USB stick going the way

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:16 pm (PST)



I'm sure that this does not work for purchases from the App Store, but should work for updates made from the Apple Support downloads, if you enter the URL.

I used to use Speed Download from Yazsoft.com for years, but do not find a need for it any more. It has been updated for 10.6.8 and later. You could schedule downloads, and if the download was interrupted it would break up the download and re-join the pieces afterward. You might be able to schedule it to use your limit each day from satellite, if you could not get it done during the free time at night.

Again, you can't have it all, at least not for free.

Brent

On Feb 26, 2012, at 8:17 AM, Jim Smith wrote:

> I have Folx 2, Pro version. When I download from the App Store it does not interface to Folx. Have 6 updates available from the App Store, dl one and it did not interface to Folx (just did that).
>
> Does it work with the App Store for you?

2a.

Re: How to move data from PDF to Numbers?

Posted by: "Hans Rijnbout" jrijnb@xs4all.nl   hans_rijnbout

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:18 am (PST)




On 26 feb. 2012, at 09:29, N.A. Nada wrote:

> I would like to know a way to move data from a PDF to Numbers.
> I do not want to buy Adobe Acrobat or Excel.

If you want to do this all by yourself without using an extra application, it may be rather cumbersome but not impossible.
Even in Preview you can select part of a PDF text and copy-paste it somewhere else.

--
Hans Rijnbout
Utrecht, Netherlands

2b.

Re: How to move data from PDF to Numbers?

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:43 am (PST)



> I would like to know a way to move data from a PDF to Numbers. It is my data from my phone bill, no plagiarism or copyright infringement involved.

I just tried 2 experiments:

1) went to AT&T, printed a detailed bill, tried to copy/paste tabular data into TextEdit and into Numbers. Would require EXTENSIVE editing, and still wouldn't be sure I got it right.

2) went to AT&T, obtained an in-browser display of some of my tabular data, copied the table from within the browser, pasted it into Numbers. Pasted perfectly as a table.

So: try doing it from the website directly, even if you want to save the bill as a PDF anyway.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

2c.

Re: How to move data from PDF to Numbers?

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:50 pm (PST)




On Feb 26, 2012, at 7:18 AM, Hans Rijnbout wrote:

>
> On 26 feb. 2012, at 09:29, N.A. Nada wrote:
>
> > I would like to know a way to move data from a PDF to Numbers.
> > I do not want to buy Adobe Acrobat or Excel.
>
> If you want to do this all by yourself without using an extra application, it may be rather cumbersome but not impossible.
> Even in Preview you can select part of a PDF text and copy-paste it somewhere else.

Hans, thank you, but I was trying to move a whole spreadsheet at once. and it all lands in one column and all mixed up. What a mess.

Brent
2d.

Re: How to move data from PDF to Numbers?

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:06 pm (PST)




On Feb 26, 2012, at 10:43 AM, Jim Saklad wrote:

> > I would like to know a way to move data from a PDF to Numbers. It is my data from my phone bill, no plagiarism or copyright infringement involved.
>
> I just tried 2 experiments:
>
> 1) went to AT&T, printed a detailed bill, tried to copy/paste tabular data into TextEdit and into Numbers. Would require EXTENSIVE editing, and still wouldn't be sure I got it right.
>
> 2) went to AT&T, obtained an in-browser display of some of my tabular data, copied the table from within the browser, pasted it into Numbers. Pasted perfectly as a table.
>
> So: try doing it from the website directly, even if you want to save the bill as a PDF anyway.

Thanks Jim.

I'll try that, if I can find the correct web page. They have re-organized their site and I am no longer seeing anything but the summary, or the option to down load the "paper" statement as a PDF, as the only way to get a full or detailed statement. (Dumbies, don't even know that a PDF is not paper.)

The talk of the throttling of unlimited accounts has caused me to wonder about the accuracy of the statements.

Telco's are the only utility that I have found to purposely make their statements almost impossible to be read and all to often include charges that don't belong there. This has gone on since the 60's, and with both the landline and cellular companies. I have checked water, gas and electric, and occasionally found them to guestimate a single month, if the reader did not make it by, but it was always corrected in the following month.

I once caught Verizon bill 900 minutes over 3 months that were not made on a pay-as-you-go account, and claim it was a computer error, while claiming that cell phones could no longer be cloned. Pretty good trick to make a call from the West Coast and then 20 minutes later make the next call from East Coast. "Sorry, Verizon, I don't commute in an X-15 spy plane."

Stepping off the soap box,

Brent
3a.

Re: moving emails from one computer to another

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:29 am (PST)



Harry,

I think that is sometimes true for applications but I've never heard that about migrating just user data.

Jay
On Feb 25, 2012, at 11:41 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> On 2/25/2012 11:05 PM, Jay Abraham wrote:
> > Hi Louise,
> >
> > Just use Migration Assistant and move all user files to your Mini. Then start up Mail and Safari on your Mini. Everything should work fine. You can continue to use G4 though I would avoid Mail unless you have set up as IMAP or with POP and leave messages on the server.
> >
> > Jay
>
> MA is great provided you don't have something corrupt to start with.
> I've used MA to move from machine to machine as I upgraded hardware.
> The issue was that I did have something amiss that I didn't even know about.
>
> I did a clean, 'hands on' update the last time I updated my OS and what
> a difference! My machine ran like it never had before.
>
> Not saying MA is not a good way to go, just saying use caution.
>
> Harry

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3b.

Re: moving emails from one computer to another

Posted by: "jahlstrom78" jaxx444@gmail.com   jahlstrom78

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:30 am (PST)



Hi Louise,

I just moved from a 2006 iMac using Snow Leopard to a Macbook Air with the Lion OS. I'm not sure what version of OSX you're using on your G4 but I was able to just use an import/export command to transfer my mail and address book contacts. Open the app on your G4 and under the "File" command on the menu bar you should see an "export address book archive" option in the address book and in Mail it's "export mailboxes" option (at least that's what it was on my computers). I exported each file to the desktop. My 2 computers were connected via wifi so I then separately opened each app on the new computer and chose "File/import." I navigated to the appropriate file on the old computer's desktop and it imported the info right into the app on the new computer.

Good luck!
Jackie
Macbook Air, OS 10.7.3

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Louise Stewart <veggie236@...> wrote:
>
> I've ordered a Mac Mini and it will arrive in a few days. I currently
> have a G4 and use Mail for my email. I hope there's an easy way to
> move my address book and all my emails to the new computer. If so, how?
>
> I want to continue to use the G4 for a while for some things, but all
> emails and anything Internet will be on the Mini. After I get all the
> new software I need, then the Mini will be used nearly 100% of the time.
>
> AND, if I don't want to upgrade my Quark software to be compatible
> with the Mini, I guess there's no way for me to be able to use all of
> those old files except on the G4. Right?
>
> Louise
>

3c.

Re: moving emails from one computer to another

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:06 pm (PST)



On 2/26/2012 10:29 AM, Jay Abraham wrote:
> Harry,
>
> I think that is sometimes true for applications but I've never heard that about migrating just user data.
>
> Jay
> On Feb 25, 2012, at 11:41 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:
>
>> > On 2/25/2012 11:05 PM, Jay Abraham wrote:
>>> > > Hi Louise,
>>> > >
>>> > > Just use Migration Assistant and move all user files to your Mini. Then start up Mail and Safari on your Mini. Everything should work fine. You can continue to use G4 though I would avoid Mail unless you have set up as IMAP or with POP and leave messages on the server.
>>> > >
>>> > > Jay
>> >
>> > MA is great provided you don't have something corrupt to start with.
>> > I've used MA to move from machine to machine as I upgraded hardware.
>> > The issue was that I did have something amiss that I didn't even know about.
>> >
>> > I did a clean, 'hands on' update the last time I updated my OS and what
>> > a difference! My machine ran like it never had before.
>> >
>> > Not saying MA is not a good way to go, just saying use caution.
>> >
>> > Harry

True, but then why would one use Migration Assistant to just move user
data? It would be quicker to just copy the data, if need be, in Target
Disk mode.

Harry

4a.

Re: Synch problems with iCloud

Posted by: "Bill Morton" billmorton999@gmail.com   redpup99

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:00 am (PST)



Utter mystery. At the time I originally wrote the question, I had
valid AB entries on my iPhone, and on the iCloud. Only the
MBPRO had zero entries.

It had been that way for at least 2 days. I checked the MBPRO
again last night before retiring---and it had a complete valid
set of entries! I SWEAR I didn't do anything to change it,
nor did I connect the iPhone to the MBPRO.

So what happened? I postulate that somehow it was refreshed
from the iCloud data, since the only other source of data would
have been the iPhone which never was connected during
this time.

I've had so much trouble with synching that I'm now to the
point I don't trust ANY of this software. May have go return
to a Rolodex with paper cards in it!

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Nick Andriash <medic65@telus.net> wrote:

> **
>
>
>
> On 2012-02-25, at 12:44 PM, redpup99 wrote:
>
> > This iPhone has a valid 300-item Contacts
> > on it. But now I'm afraid to back it up or synch it with
> > the MacPro for fear it will erase all the entries on the
> > iPhone to make it match the MacPro.
>
> That is exactly what will happen if you sync your iPhone, so DO NOT SYNC
> your iPhone with your MBPro. When you open iCloud under System Preferences,
> is Contacts checked?
>
> --
>  Nick Andriash 
> andriash@telus.net
> 17" MacBook Pro, 2.3GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 8 GB, OS X 10.7.3
> iPad2 WiFi & 3G, 64GB
> iPhone4S 32GB
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Re: Synchronization bug/problem with iCloud.

Posted by: "Bill Morton" billmorton999@gmail.com   redpup99

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:05 am (PST)



On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@me.com> wrote:
Jim, I appreciate your response. It appears that is what happened, albeit
it
is strange that it took it 2+ days to restore the data.

As to backups---YES. Do you or anyone else here know specifically
which file(s) and the location thereof one should be backing up? I
am running Time Machine and probably have good backups but
one needs to know the filename(s).

> Fom all that I've read, and experienced, in this regard, Apple regards the
> iClodu copy as the master copy. And if iCloud is correctly set up,
> synchronization of contacts between computer and iCloud is automatic and
> complete.
>
> Also, every article I've encountered on the subject says to make complete
> backups of calendars and contacts before first starting iCloud.
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5b.

Re: Synchronization bug/problem with iCloud.

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:00 am (PST)



>> From all that I've read, and experienced, in this regard, Apple regards the iCloud copy as the master copy. And if iCloud is correctly set up, synchronization of contacts between computer and iCloud is automatic and complete.
>
> Jim, I appreciate your response. It appears that is what happened, albeit it is strange that it took it 2+ days to restore the data.
>
>> Also, every article I've encountered on the subject says to make complete backups of calendars and contacts before first starting iCloud.
>
> As to backups---YES. Do you or anyone else here know specifically which file(s) and the location thereof one should be backing up? I am running Time Machine and probably have good backups but one needs to know the filename(s).

1. There is stuff in ~/Library Application Support/Addressbook, but I don't know what is what there.

2. While in AddressBook, you can go to File Menu -- Export... -- AddressBook Archive and manually create a backup anywhere you want.

3. Similarly for iCal backups, except you have to highlight and backup each of your calendars individually.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

6a.

Re: can't play DVD copy

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:30 am (PST)



Howdy.

How did you make the copy of the DVD?

You just can't "copy" many commercial video DVDs, the kind with a
Video_TS folder that contains that actually video contents, commands,
links, menus, and more.

Try RIPping the contents of the DVD to your hard drive first. Do this
with a program like Handbrake, MacTheRipper, or RipIt.

MacTheRipper free version requires Rosetta and won't work on Lion.

Then you can play this RIPped video with a program like VLC (free to
download).

You can also convert the video into other file formats for convenience
if you wish to keep them on a hard drive.

If you wish to burn a new DVD with the movie you have RIPped, you can
with a program like Roxio Toast (and others).

These all have to do with a variety of copy protection schemes and
anti-piracy schemes even if you have purchased the original DVD video
and just want to have a copy for yourself.

The several "schemes" are called:

1. MacroVision (makes a VHS video skip or flutter if copied.
2. Region coding: the world of DVDs and DVD players is divided in
several number coded regions.
3. copy protection of several kinds.

Apple's DVD Player adhere's to some of these copy schemes and won't
play some kinds of videos as a result. Try VLC.

Denver Dan

Sat, 25 Feb 2012 14:30:59 -0500, Oneal Neumann wrote:
>
> Just got a bunch of DVDs that I will soon take to Europe and probably
> leave there. I made a copy of one --my first time-- to see if it will
> play, however I can't get DVD Player to play it.
>
> Why can't I play the nondisc version? Do I have to burn the originals
> to discs before I can play them? I'd like to be able to make copies of
> the 10 Great Courses discs that I received.
>
> Thanx. Oneal
>
>

7a.

Trackpad clicking "sticking"

Posted by: "Michael Dunn" md@cantares.on.ca   ambisonx

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:59 am (PST)



Just got a nice new MacBookPro from work, and as usual, set up the
trackpad to allow for click and drag by doing the double tap & hold.
Works, but there's a delay on the release. I.e., when I lift my
finger to end a drag, I mustn't put it back down for a second or so
or else it will re-grab whatever I was dragging. Very annoying. Is
this normal?

thx
Michael

7b.

Re: Trackpad clicking "sticking"

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:06 am (PST)



> Just got a nice new MacBookPro from work, and as usual, set up the trackpad to allow for click and drag by doing the double tap & hold. Works, but there's a delay on the release. I.e., when I lift my finger to end a drag, I mustn't put it back down for a second or so or else it will re-grab whatever I was dragging. Very annoying. Is
> this normal?
> Michael

Although I've been using Mac laptops for 14 years, I couldn't say.

Since it became possible to do click-and-drag with the trackpad, that is what I have done: Click. And Drag. Release is instant.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

8a.

Re: CCLEANER

Posted by: "Barbara B" bpurdy13@gmail.com   sakura1313ca

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:26 am (PST)




Hi all, I have deleted without using. I just thought that if it came from Apple App store and it had great reviews from the people that used it that it might be good and also that it was an apple product (silly me). I am glad I have this group to keep me straight.
Why does apple put these apps in it;s store if it's a window's product.
I have only had one other computer in my life which was a dell microsoft and this mac laptop which I have had for nearly 3 years I have never heard of this CCleaner before.
I am over 60 and hope I have quite a few years left but I kind of resent that people belive that I or others like me is so hard to convince.
I am very grateful for all the advise I have had here and it has usually been good advise.
That is why I did not use this app until I got some advise from people who are more knowledgable then me.
Thanks again for all your helpful replies.
Barbara from Montreal
--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@...> wrote:
>
> > As an example, on an Attorney/Mac discussion list that I'm on, one consultant told everyone that they should limit the number of applications that they put on their Mac to three or four, and then never add any more, because more apps might cause instability.
> >
> > I almost spit out an internal organ over this. Even before the advent of OS X, with its protected memory for apps, this wouldn't have been good advice. One of the nicest things about the Mac is that you can try new software with abandon, and it won't screw things up, slow things down, or be hard to uninstall.
> >
> > It's hard to protect switchers and new users from believing bad advice from these Windows rejects.
>
> In the Peanuts comic strip, one character once commented to another that it was going to take Linus 12 years just to UNlearn every wrong thing that Lucy was teaching him.
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@...
>

8b.

Re: CCLEANER

Posted by: "Jon Kreisler" jonkreisler@gmail.com   jonkreisler

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:34 am (PST)



No, CCLEANER in the app store is a Mac version of a Windoze product.
However, the web page of the developer is still completely Windows-centric.
Jon

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Barbara B <bpurdy13@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
>
> Hi all, I have deleted without using. I just thought that if it came from
> Apple App store and it had great reviews from the people that used it that
> it might be good and also that it was an apple product (silly me). I am
> glad I have this group to keep me straight.
> Why does apple put these apps in it;s store if it's a window's product.
> I have only had one other computer in my life which was a dell microsoft
> and this mac laptop which I have had for nearly 3 years I have never heard
> of this CCleaner before.
> I am over 60 and hope I have quite a few years left but I kind of resent
> that people belive that I or others like me is so hard to convince.
> I am very grateful for all the advise I have had here and it has usually
> been good advise.
> That is why I did not use this app until I got some advise from people who
> are more knowledgable then me.
> Thanks again for all your helpful replies.
> Barbara from Montreal
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@...> wrote:
> >
> > > As an example, on an Attorney/Mac discussion list that I'm on, one
> consultant told everyone that they should limit the number of applications
> that they put on their Mac to three or four, and then never add any more,
> because more apps might cause instability.
> > >
> > > I almost spit out an internal organ over this. Even before the advent
> of OS X, with its protected memory for apps, this wouldn't have been good
> advice. One of the nicest things about the Mac is that you can try new
> software with abandon, and it won't screw things up, slow things down, or
> be hard to uninstall.
> > >
> > > It's hard to protect switchers and new users from believing bad advice
> from these Windows rejects.
> >
> > In the Peanuts comic strip, one character once commented to another that
> it was going to take Linus 12 years just to UNlearn every wrong thing that
> Lucy was teaching him.
> >
> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@...
> >
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8c.

Re: CCLEANER

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:04 pm (PST)



On 2/26/2012 1:53 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2012, at 10:23 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:
>
>> > The situation is that now we have a whole new user
>> > base, with a different and totally foreign ideaology. How to deal with
>> > it? It is so succumbing that it will probably overtake the 'normal'
>> > way
>> > of thinking in the Mac world.
> What frustrates me the most is the influx of computer consultants
> from the Windows world who don't know The Mac Way of doing things,
> and they insist on telling Mac users that they have to do things The
> Windows Way.
>
> As an example, on an Attorney/Mac discussion list that I'm on, one
> consultant told everyone that they should limit the number of
> applications that they put on their Mac to three or four, and then
> never add any more, because more apps might cause instability.
>
> I almost spit out an internal organ over this. Even before the
> advent of OS X, with its protected memory for apps, this wouldn't
> have been good advice. One of the nicest things about the Mac is
> that you can try new software with abandon, and it won't screw things
> up, slow things down, or be hard to uninstall.
>
> It's hard to protect switchers and new users from believing bad
> advice from these Windows rejects.
>
> _________________________________________

I just saw a podcast the other day that mentioned the idea that
limiting apps installed under Win 7 will increase stability, as you
mentioned was posted on your list. I found that idea amusing as heck!
I never realized that this had become a fairly common idea amongst the
Windows world.

To see it posted in conjunction with OS X is ludicrous to me. I would
have had the same reaction.

For some reason, consulting in the Win world is extremely profitable.
I've seen offerings for everything under the sun, by companies and
individuals, as if someone had the holy grail, the answer to solve all
problems occurring under that operating system. The thing is, many,
many people pay good money for such snake oil. I've never seen this
happen in the Mac world, although it is apparently increasing now.

As long as the saturation of OS X increases, this type of thinking will
increase. Really a shame as well.

I have a feeling that many of us that have been around for awhile, are
beating their head against a wall here. Nothing will stop people that
are out to make a fast buck.

Harry

9a.

Re: Application Safari Web Content

Posted by: "Metaksa Tanya" tanya.metaksa@gmail.com   tmetaksa@att.net

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:02 am (PST)



I understand that you, Bill B, are a Mac guru and found my query dumb. However, how is one to learn if one can't ask what you would call a "stupid" question.
As I used to tell my students, "There are no stupid questions." I an on this email list to learn. I used to teach computer classes is many of the more complicated Windows programs. In the last several years I have added a Mac to my computer desk. I am still learning about Mac OSX and with every iteration from Snow Leopard to Lion there are more questions. Thanks to everyone who answered my query about Application Safari Web Content. I gather it is part of Safari and it takes up memory as Safari uses it. On my machine Safari appears to be using Application Safari Web Content a lot.
Tanya
On Feb 19, 2012, at 7:17 AM, Bill B. wrote:

> At 2:30 PM -0800 2/18/12, Tanya Metaksa wrote:
> >>>As I mentioned in a previous email, I installed Private Eye. As it runs it shows a lot of activity from the Application Safari Web Content. Could anyone tell me what it does and can one detele it?<<<
>
> It is clear to me that this app should only be used by those who know what they are doing. I have not tried it since I don't use Lion.
>
> Bill B.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

10.

Clearing Google search history

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:10 pm (PST)



It's always been possible to see your Google search history.
Apparently Google is (as of March 1 this year) going to share this
history with all of Google's services:
- - -
>If you happen to have concerns about Google's new privacy policy,
>here is a How-To that describes how to remove your web search
>history from Google, before the March 1 unification day.
>
><http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57382925-285/how-to-remove-your-google-web-history/>
- - -
My question: the ability to see and remove your Google search history
applies only if:

1. you have a Google account , and

2. you are logged in when searching

yes?

Does Google log search data by IP address, and is it possible to see
and remove such if you don't have a Google account to log in to?

Dave

11.

VLC 2.0 & Handbrake - A Fix

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:42 pm (PST)



Howdy.

This article in MacWorld explains why Handbrake won't work after
installing the just released VLC 2.0 (if you have deleted the older
version of VLC).

How to fix the problem.

<http://www.macworld.com/article/165549/2012/02/fix_handbrake_dvd_ripping_if_youve_installed_vlc_2_0.html#lsrc.rss_main>

Denver Dan

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web