2/28/2012

[apple-iphone] Digest Number 2915

Messages In This Digest (24 Messages)

1a.
Re: old apps From: Chris Laarman
1b.
Re: old apps From: Carter Crain
1c.
Re: old apps From: Paul Deyo
1d.
Re: old apps From: Carter Crain
1e.
Re: old apps From: Vishal Sheth
2.
AT&T announces global coverage via a single SIM at MWC, makes dual-w From: Brent
3a.
Turn by turn GPS From: chelot921
3b.
Re: Turn by turn GPS From: Paul Deyo
3c.
Re: Turn by turn GPS From: Jeffrey Fort
3d.
Re: Turn by turn GPS From: Bruce Carter
3e.
Re: Turn by turn GPS From: Bill Sardone
3f.
Re: Turn by turn GPS From: Dave Sherlock
3g.
Re: Turn by turn GPS From: Vishal Sheth
4a.
Old iPhone without data? From: Ann Bolton
4b.
Re: Old iPhone without data? From: Clark Martin
4c.
Re: Old iPhone without data? From: sharonx9
5.
Paper Karma - Great Free App From: Bill Boulware
6a.
Kindle app From: louise schlosser
6b.
Re: Kindle app From: whiterabbit32
6c.
Re: Kindle app From: sharonx9
7a.
Re: iPhone user successfully sues AT&T over 3G throttling From: whiterabbit32
7b.
Re: iPhone user successfully sues AT&T over 3G throttling From: whiterabbit32
7c.
Re: iPhone user successfully sues AT&T over 3G throttling From: Vishal Sheth
7d.
Re: iPhone user successfully sues AT&T over 3G throttling From: Jon Kreisler

Messages

1a.

Re: old apps

Posted by: "Chris Laarman" v.c.laarman@gmail.com   chrislaarman

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:00 am (PST)



Paul Deyo <paul.deyo@gmail.com> on Sun, 26 Feb 2012 18:11:46 -0500:

>I have an old apple account that apparently owns 3 apps on my iPhone. The account is disabled but I continue to get the message that I have 3 apps to upgrade but it doesn't tell me what the apps are. Anyone know how to id them so I can delete?
>thanks.

I'm not familiar with having more than one account on my iPad (not
iPhone).

App Store may have pushed a message that updates are available for
apps. It will show the number with its icon.
When I start the app and go to the Updates tab, it will show me the
updates and allow me to perform these, at least individually,
sometimes also as a batch.

By selecting that Updates tab I can also make App Store check for
updates.

The App Store app also has a tab Purchases. There I can select
"Everything" or "Not on this iPad".

Note: I have iOS 5 installed in English, but I seem to be bound to the
Dutch iTunes store (as I live in the Netherlands), resulting in Dutch
words among the English. There may be differences among the shops
beyond the language used.

--
Chris Laarman

1b.

Re: old apps

Posted by: "Carter Crain" donteventhinkaboutit@me.com   cartercrain

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:20 am (PST)



Log in as your old id. When you go to update apps those three will be there. If you delete the apps in iTunes, you won't get the notice any more.

Carter Crain

On Feb 27, 2012, at 2:46 AM, Chris Laarman <v.c.laarman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul Deyo <paul.deyo@gmail.com> on Sun, 26 Feb 2012 18:11:46 -0500:
>
>> I have an old apple account that apparently owns 3 apps on my iPhone. The account is disabled but I continue to get the message that I have 3 apps to upgrade but it doesn't tell me what the apps are. Anyone know how to id them so I can delete?
>> thanks.
>
> I'm not familiar with having more than one account on my iPad (not
> iPhone).
>
> App Store may have pushed a message that updates are available for
> apps. It will show the number with its icon.
> When I start the app and go to the Updates tab, it will show me the
> updates and allow me to perform these, at least individually,
> sometimes also as a batch.
>
> By selecting that Updates tab I can also make App Store check for
> updates.
>
> The App Store app also has a tab Purchases. There I can select
> "Everything" or "Not on this iPad".
>
> Note: I have iOS 5 installed in English, but I seem to be bound to the
> Dutch iTunes store (as I live in the Netherlands), resulting in Dutch
> words among the English. There may be differences among the shops
> beyond the language used.
>
> --
> Chris Laarman
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

1c.

Re: old apps

Posted by: "Paul Deyo" paul.deyo@gmail.com   crewcheef

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:31 am (PST)



I cannot log in my old id because it has been blocked/deactivated. Thats the whole problem. Its not a show stopper but I sure get tired of the looking at the "3" next to apps in iTunes. Thanks.

--
Pul - n1pd
Sent with Sparrow (http://www.sparrowmailapp.com)

On Monday, February 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Carter Crain wrote:

>
> Log in as your old id. When you go to update apps those three will be there. If you delete the apps in iTunes, you won't get the notice any more.
>
> Carter Crain
>
> On Feb 27, 2012, at 2:46 AM, Chris Laarman <v.c.laarman@gmail.com (mailto:v.c.laarman%40gmail.com)> wrote:
>
> > Paul Deyo <paul.deyo@gmail.com (mailto:paul.deyo%40gmail.com)> on Sun, 26 Feb 2012 18:11:46 -0500:
> >
> >> I have an old apple account that apparently owns 3 apps on my iPhone. The account is disabled but I continue to get the message that I have 3 apps to upgrade but it doesn't tell me what the apps are. Anyone know how to id them so I can delete?
> >> thanks.
> >
> > I'm not familiar with having more than one account on my iPad (not
> > iPhone).
> >
> > App Store may have pushed a message that updates are available for
> > apps. It will show the number with its icon.
> > When I start the app and go to the Updates tab, it will show me the
> > updates and allow me to perform these, at least individually,
> > sometimes also as a batch.
> >
> > By selecting that Updates tab I can also make App Store check for
> > updates.
> >
> > The App Store app also has a tab Purchases. There I can select
> > "Everything" or "Not on this iPad".
> >
> > Note: I have iOS 5 installed in English, but I seem to be bound to the
> > Dutch iTunes store (as I live in the Netherlands), resulting in Dutch
> > words among the English. There may be differences among the shops
> > beyond the language used.
> >
> > --
> > Chris Laarman
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1d.

Re: old apps

Posted by: "Carter Crain" donteventhinkaboutit@me.com   cartercrain

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:44 am (PST)



Go to purchased apps on the iTunes Store. copy all the apps names paste into a spreadsheet. compared to your iTunes list Two other possibilities. Call Apple for help. Use the list view of apps and try to narrow it down by date downloaded or Version number or delete them all and re-download the purchased apps.

Carter Crain

On Feb 27, 2012, at 8:23 AM, Paul Deyo <paul.deyo@gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot log in my old id because it has been blocked/deactivated. Thats the whole problem. Its not a show stopper but I sure get tired of the looking at the "3" next to apps in iTunes. Thanks.
>
>
> On Monday, February 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Carter Crain wrote:
>
>>
>> Log in as your old id. When you go to update apps those three will be there. If you delete the apps in iTunes, you won't get the notice any more.
>>
>> Carter Crain
>>
>> On Feb 27, 2012, at 2:46 AM, Chris Laarman <v.c.laarman@gmail.com (mailto:v.c.laarman%40gmail.com)> wrote:
>>
>>> Paul Deyo <paul.deyo@gmail.com (mailto:paul.deyo%40gmail.com)> on Sun, 26 Feb 2012 18:11:46 -0500:
>>>
>>>> I have an old apple account that apparently owns 3 apps on my iPhone. The account is disabled but I continue to get the message that I have 3 apps to upgrade but it doesn't tell me what the apps are. Anyone know how to id them so I can delete?
>>>> thanks.
>>>
>>> I'm not familiar with having more than one account on my iPad (not
>>> iPhone).
>>>
>>> App Store may have pushed a message that updates are available for
>>> apps. It will show the number with its icon.
>>> When I start the app and go to the Updates tab, it will show me the
>>> updates and allow me to perform these, at least individually,
>>> sometimes also as a batch.
>>>
>>> By selecting that Updates tab I can also make App Store check for
>>> updates.
>>>
>>> The App Store app also has a tab Purchases. There I can select
>>> "Everything" or "Not on this iPad".
>>>
>>> Note: I have iOS 5 installed in English, but I seem to be bound to the
>>> Dutch iTunes store (as I live in the Netherlands), resulting in Dutch
>>> words among the English. There may be differences among the shops
>>> beyond the language used.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Chris Laarman

1e.

Re: old apps

Posted by: "Vishal Sheth" vusheth@gmail.com   vusheth

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:39 am (PST)



try and download those 3 apps of old I'd to the new one. I had similar
problem, I had access to my old account. So I made note of the apps and
downloaded them in new account. there are some apps which are not free now
so I still use it through old account.

Vishal Sheth
On Feb 27, 2012 8:14 PM, "Carter Crain" <donteventhinkaboutit@me.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Go to purchased apps on the iTunes Store. copy all the apps names paste
> into a spreadsheet. compared to your iTunes list Two other possibilities.
> Call Apple for help. Use the list view of apps and try to narrow it down by
> date downloaded or Version number or delete them all and re-download the
> purchased apps.
>
> Carter Crain
>
> On Feb 27, 2012, at 8:23 AM, Paul Deyo <paul.deyo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I cannot log in my old id because it has been blocked/deactivated. Thats
> the whole problem. Its not a show stopper but I sure get tired of the
> looking at the "3" next to apps in iTunes. Thanks.
> >
> >
> > On Monday, February 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Carter Crain wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> Log in as your old id. When you go to update apps those three will be
> there. If you delete the apps in iTunes, you won't get the notice any more.
> >>
> >> Carter Crain
> >>
> >> On Feb 27, 2012, at 2:46 AM, Chris Laarman <v.c.laarman@gmail.com(mailto:
> v.c.laarman%40gmail.com)> wrote:
> >>
> >>> Paul Deyo <paul.deyo@gmail.com (mailto:paul.deyo%40gmail.com)> on
> Sun, 26 Feb 2012 18:11:46 -0500:
> >>>
> >>>> I have an old apple account that apparently owns 3 apps on my iPhone.
> The account is disabled but I continue to get the message that I have 3
> apps to upgrade but it doesn't tell me what the apps are. Anyone know how
> to id them so I can delete?
> >>>> thanks.
> >>>
> >>> I'm not familiar with having more than one account on my iPad (not
> >>> iPhone).
> >>>
> >>> App Store may have pushed a message that updates are available for
> >>> apps. It will show the number with its icon.
> >>> When I start the app and go to the Updates tab, it will show me the
> >>> updates and allow me to perform these, at least individually,
> >>> sometimes also as a batch.
> >>>
> >>> By selecting that Updates tab I can also make App Store check for
> >>> updates.
> >>>
> >>> The App Store app also has a tab Purchases. There I can select
> >>> "Everything" or "Not on this iPad".
> >>>
> >>> Note: I have iOS 5 installed in English, but I seem to be bound to the
> >>> Dutch iTunes store (as I live in the Netherlands), resulting in Dutch
> >>> words among the English. There may be differences among the shops
> >>> beyond the language used.
> >>>
> >>> --
> >>> Chris Laarman
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2.

AT&T announces global coverage via a single SIM at MWC, makes dual-w

Posted by: "Brent" flapdoodle@gmail.com   flapdoodle44

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:18 am (PST)



http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/27/atandt-announces-global-coverage-via-a-single-sim/

Sent to you by Brent via Google Reader: AT&T announces global coverage
via a single SIM at MWC, makes dual-wielding a thing of the past via
Engadget by Billy Steele on 2/27/12
Tired of switching out those SIM cards when you travel abroad? AT&T is
about to relieve that burden. At MWC, the company has announced a new
platform that offers global internet, WiFi, satellite and Ma Bell
network coverage via a single SIM. In addition to the hardware, the new
tech offers worldwide diagnostic, monitoring and alert / response
features for management purposes from AT&T Control Center -- backed by
Jasper Wireless. Glenn Lurie, President of Emerging Segments
notes "Lessons learned by market leading manufacturers suggest that a
single carrier supplier with a single SIM solution is often preferred
over working directly with multiple regional wireless carriers."
Coverage for globetrotters will be provided in more than 200 countries
via hundreds of carriers to keep you connected -- with a few less
components in tow. If you're looking for a few more details, hit the
full PR below to read on.
Continue reading AT&T announces global coverage via a single SIM at
MWC, makes dual-wielding a thing of the past

AT&T announces global coverage via a single SIM at MWC, makes
dual-wielding a thing of the past originally appeared on Engadget on
Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
Permalink | AT&T | Email this | Comments
Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Engadget using Google Reader
- Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
favorite sites

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3a.

Turn by turn GPS

Posted by: "chelot921" chelot921@yahoo.com   chelot921

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:32 am (PST)



I am a newbie with an iPhone 4. I just realized that the native google maps does not have turn by turn voice navigation. Or at least I can't find it. I used to use it on my droid. What are some good navigation apps with turn by turn? I don't use it often so free or cheap is favorable.

Thanks

3b.

Re: Turn by turn GPS

Posted by: "Paul Deyo" paul.deyo@gmail.com   crewcheef

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:55 am (PST)



Mapquest works good for me.

On Monday, February 27, 2012 at 1:28 PM, chelot921 wrote:

>
> I am a newbie with an iPhone 4. I just realized that the native google maps does not have turn by turn voice navigation. Or at least I can't find it. I used to use it on my droid. What are some good navigation apps with turn by turn? I don't use it often so free or cheap is favorable.
>
> Thanks

3c.

Re: Turn by turn GPS

Posted by: "Jeffrey Fort" jeffreyfort@mac.com   naviguesser74

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:58 am (PST)



I like TomTom.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

On Feb 27, 2012, at 1:48 PM, Paul Deyo <paul.deyo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mapquest works good for me.
>
> On Monday, February 27, 2012 at 1:28 PM, chelot921 wrote:
>
> >
> > I am a newbie with an iPhone 4. I just realized that the native google maps does not have turn by turn voice navigation. Or at least I can't find it. I used to use it on my droid. What are some good navigation apps with turn by turn? I don't use it often so free or cheap is favorable.
> >
> > Thanks
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3d.

Re: Turn by turn GPS

Posted by: "Bruce Carter" rbrucecarter@yahoo.com   rbrucecarter

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:59 am (PST)



Navfree works just like a commercial GPS unit - it is a little slow but never an issue. You have to download maps state by state, it may cost something if you download more than two states but I am not sure.

--- In apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com, "chelot921" <chelot921@...> wrote:
>
> I am a newbie with an iPhone 4. I just realized that the native google maps does not have turn by turn voice navigation. Or at least I can't find it. I used to use it on my droid. What are some good navigation apps with turn by turn? I don't use it often so free or cheap is favorable.
>
> Thanks
>

3e.

Re: Turn by turn GPS

Posted by: "Bill Sardone" wsardone@att.net   wsardone

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:08 am (PST)



I use mapquest.

Works well for me.

Thanks

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com [mailto:apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of chelot921
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 1:28 PM
To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [apple-iphone] Turn by turn GPS

I am a newbie with an iPhone 4. I just realized that the native google maps
does not have turn by turn voice navigation. Or at least I can't find it.
I used to use it on my droid. What are some good navigation apps with turn
by turn? I don't use it often so free or cheap is favorable.

Thanks

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

3f.

Re: Turn by turn GPS

Posted by: "Dave Sherlock" dsherlock.geo@yahoo.com   dsherlock.geo

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:43 am (PST)



GPS Drive from MotionX is or was free, not a bad app. They do charge for voice.

Regards, Dave
Sent from my iPad

On Feb 27, 2012, at 11:28 AM, "chelot921" <chelot921@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What are some good navigation apps with turn by turn? I don't use it often so free or cheap is favorable.

3g.

Re: Turn by turn GPS

Posted by: "Vishal Sheth" vusheth@gmail.com   vusheth

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:39 pm (PST)



Navigable is good.

Vishal Sheth
On Feb 28, 2012 12:02 AM, "chelot921" <chelot921@yahoo.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> I am a newbie with an iPhone 4. I just realized that the native google
> maps does not have turn by turn voice navigation. Or at least I can't find
> it. I used to use it on my droid. What are some good navigation apps with
> turn by turn? I don't use it often so free or cheap is favorable.
>
> Thanks

4a.

Old iPhone without data?

Posted by: "Ann Bolton" annbolton@cfl.rr.com   rayandannbolton

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:19 am (PST)



Last I checked, AT&T doesn't allow an iPhone without a data plan.

I would like to give my husband my old iPhone when I upgrade so he will have ease of use for calling and checking addresses. Do any of the new providers allow iPhone "phone only" contracts?

We are retired and go pretty much everywhere together. We don't need two data plans!

Ann Bolton

4b.

Re: Old iPhone without data?

Posted by: "Clark Martin" cmmac@sonic.net   cmartin1138

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:04 pm (PST)




On Feb 27, 2012, at 11:16 AM, Ann Bolton wrote:

> Last I checked, AT&T doesn't allow an iPhone without a data plan.
>
> I would like to give my husband my old iPhone when I upgrade so he will have ease of use for calling and checking addresses. Do any of the new providers allow iPhone "phone only" contracts?
>
> We are retired and go pretty much everywhere together. We don't need two data plans!

You might want to check out AT&Ts family plan. I'm not sure if will help but it's worth checking out.

4c.

Re: Old iPhone without data?

Posted by: "sharonx9" sharonx9@gmail.com   sharonx1972

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:06 pm (PST)



Tmobile allows unlocked iPhones without a data plan but you can still use
wifi.

Sharon

On Monday, February 27, 2012, Clark Martin wrote:

>
> On Feb 27, 2012, at 11:16 AM, Ann Bolton wrote:
>
> > Last I checked, AT&T doesn't allow an iPhone without a data plan.
> >
> > I would like to give my husband my old iPhone when I upgrade so he will
> have ease of use for calling and checking addresses. Do any of the new
> providers allow iPhone "phone only" contracts?
> >
> > We are retired and go pretty much everywhere together. We don't need
> two data plans!
>
>
>
>

--

--
-=[ Sharon Jean ]=-

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5.

Paper Karma - Great Free App

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:47 pm (PST)



Just heard about this app on iPad Today (twit.tv/ipt) - Paper Karma lets
you take a picture using iPhone, iPad, Android or Windows phone and stop
receiving junk mail / catalogs!

https://www.paperkarma.com/

PaperKarma Control Your Mailbox, Stop Paper Junk Mail - Using Your Phone!

PaperKarma allows you to take photos of the junk mail you wish to stop.
Snap a photo, and you're done.

We automatically contact the Mailer and remove you from their distribution
list. PaperKarma can stop most junk mail that is addressed directly to you.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6a.

Kindle app

Posted by: "louise schlosser" las313fl@yahoo.com   las313fl

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:23 pm (PST)



I am using the kindle app to read on my iPad2.  I downloaded the books to my iPad2.  They are not showing up on my iPhone.  Is that because they were downloaded to the iPad only or should they cross over?  I downloaded a lot of of pixel site. No books on my iPad.
Thanks.
Louise 

6b.

Re: Kindle app

Posted by: "whiterabbit32" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:31 pm (PST)



On the Kindle app, tap Archive at the bottom of the screen. You should see the books you downloaded. Tap each book and they should move to the Kindle app home page. My iPad 2 and iPhone don't normally sync Kindle books right away. I usually go into Settings>General>iTunes Wifi Sync. Then it usually auto syncs to my iPhone. If not, I'll do the Settings>General>iTunes Wifi Sync on my iPhone.

Alice

Sent from my iPad 2

On Feb 27, 2012, at 2:11 PM, louise schlosser <las313fl@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am using the kindle app to read on my iPad2. I downloaded the books to my iPad2. They are not showing up on my iPhone. Is that because they were downloaded to the iPad only or should they cross over? I downloaded a lot of of pixel site. No books on my iPad.
> Thanks.
> Louise
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6c.

Re: Kindle app

Posted by: "sharonx9" sharonx9@gmail.com   sharonx1972

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:34 pm (PST)



They will show up. Did you scroll to the bottom on the iphone where
it says "archived items"? You have to manually download them to the
iphone too. Mine all show up on my computer, iphone, and ipad.

--
-=[ Sharon Jean ]=-

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM, louise schlosser <las313fl@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am using the kindle app to read on my iPad2.  I downloaded the books to my iPad2.  They are not showing up on my iPhone.  Is that because they were downloaded to the iPad only or should they cross over?  I downloaded a lot of of pixel site. No books on my iPad.
> Thanks.
> Louise

7a.

Re: iPhone user successfully sues AT&T over 3G throttling

Posted by: "whiterabbit32" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:34 pm (PST)



On Saturday, February 25 on The Tech Guy with Leo Laporte, he received a call from Matt (forgot the last name), the guy who won the AT&T lawsuit in small claims court. He called to talk about the suit and what happened in court. What he said was that the judge asked what he thought would be a fair amount. Matt said he really didn't want money. Meh wanted AT&T to stop throttling him. The judge settled on $850. One thing Matt said was that when he walked into court with all his evidence, he heard the judge say "This is going to be fun." Matt was upfront with the judge. He said he streams Netflix on his phone to. Big screen. AT&T was stupid at that point and said P2P was not allowed on iPhones. Matt proved Netflix streams and therefore isn't P2P. He even went so far as looking up the AT&T website and showed the judge where AT&T is advertising a computer for sale that comes preinstalled with Netflix. When the judge ruled in favor of Matt, the AT&T guy ran out of the court, making it impossible to stop him for questions. AT&T's next move is to try and take the ruling to a higher court in hopes of winning and setting a precedent.

AT&T doesn't have to go back to court. They could just pay the $850 and take everyone off the unlimited plan. As was mentioned by someone in this thread, AT&T's terms say they can change the rules at any time.

Alice

Sent from my iPad 2

On Feb 25, 2012, at 4:06 PM, <chris.magill1959@att.net> wrote:

> In California I didn't think small claims court decisions could be challenged.
>
> Chris
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Kelly@nikonkelly
> To: apple-iphone@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:34 AM
> Subject: Re: [apple-iphone] iPhone user successfully sues AT&T over 3G throttling
>
> That is the whole point Jon.
>
> Rev. Kelly Todd
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Feb 25, 2012, at 11:11 AM, Jon Kreisler <jonkreisler@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > AT&T contracts specifically state there is no guaranteed service level,
> > however, to deliberately sabotage a customer's ability to use the service
> > is another matter entirely.
> > Jon
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7b.

Re: iPhone user successfully sues AT&T over 3G throttling

Posted by: "whiterabbit32" whiterabbit32@gmail.com   lwr0032

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:38 pm (PST)



I'm thinking AT&T is saying "unlimited" means unlimited use but not unlimited MB. Is that a correct interpretation?

Alice

Sent from my iPad 2

On Feb 25, 2012, at 8:02 PM, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> Nice analysis, and just what I was thinking, except I don't see canceling it as n available option to AT&T. It would be a breach of contract, and that is why they are using subtle coercion.
>
> I am surprised that no one has suggested false advertising. If you throttle back, then the theoretic amount of possible data usage is greatly reduced compared to a non-throttled account. That seems to be the opposite of unlimited, or more correctly... limited.
>
> Brent
>
> On Feb 25, 2012, at 11:33 AM, AnneL wrote:
>
> > > however, to deliberately sabotage a customer's ability to use the service
> > > is another matter entirely.
> >
> > I haven't read the court's full decision, but I would imagine that it's not
> > the throttling itself that caused the ruling, but throttling an "unlimited"
> > customer at a lower level than people on tiered plans are allowed to use
> > unrestricted. I imagine that if AT&T established their "top 5%" number and
> > then throttled *all* data users at the same data point, the court's decision
> > might have been different. I imagine it's the fact that the unlimited users
> > are singled out for throttling at a threshold that caused the ruling. If
> > "unlimited" users are throttled more tightly than tiered plan users, then
> > that constitutes a limitation since it's not being applied across the board.
> >
> > At this point, as I see it, AT&T has four options:
> >
> > 1. Appeal the ruling and fight it out in court, which means either AT&T
> > wins and nothing changes, or the customer wins and AT&T is stuck with the
> > other choices below
> >
> > 2. Stop throttling unlimited plan users at lower thresholds than the
> > highest level tiered plan
> >
> > 3. Pick an arbitrary "top 5%" level and throttle everybody, regardless of
> > plan, when they reach that level
> >
> > 4. Cancel the unlimited plans altogether and force customers to go to a
> > tiered plan.
> >
> > Since there's only one outcome in four that ends well for me, as an
> > unlimited user, chances are that when all the dust clears I'll end up
> > jumping ship to another carrier, likely Verizon, who also throttles, but
> > much more reasonably -- they only throttle those using a particular tower
> > when THAT tower becomes congested, and they stop throttling as soon as the
> > congestion eases, usually a matter of hours or even minutes, rather than for
> > the rest of the billing cycle as AT&T does.
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7c.

Re: iPhone user successfully sues AT&T over 3G throttling

Posted by: "Vishal Sheth" vusheth@gmail.com   vusheth

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:28 pm (PST)



The unlimited would be with a cap.

Vishal Sheth
On Feb 28, 2012 7:08 AM, "whiterabbit32" <whiterabbit32@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> I'm thinking AT&T is saying "unlimited" means unlimited use but not
> unlimited MB. Is that a correct interpretation?
>
> Alice
>
> Sent from my iPad 2
>
> On Feb 25, 2012, at 8:02 PM, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Nice analysis, and just what I was thinking, except I don't see
> canceling it as n available option to AT&T. It would be a breach of
> contract, and that is why they are using subtle coercion.
> >
> > I am surprised that no one has suggested false advertising. If you
> throttle back, then the theoretic amount of possible data usage is greatly
> reduced compared to a non-throttled account. That seems to be the opposite
> of unlimited, or more correctly... limited.
> >
> > Brent
> >
> > On Feb 25, 2012, at 11:33 AM, AnneL wrote:
> >
> > > > however, to deliberately sabotage a customer's ability to use the
> service
> > > > is another matter entirely.
> > >
> > > I haven't read the court's full decision, but I would imagine that
> it's not
> > > the throttling itself that caused the ruling, but throttling an
> "unlimited"
> > > customer at a lower level than people on tiered plans are allowed to
> use
> > > unrestricted. I imagine that if AT&T established their "top 5%" number
> and
> > > then throttled *all* data users at the same data point, the court's
> decision
> > > might have been different. I imagine it's the fact that the unlimited
> users
> > > are singled out for throttling at a threshold that caused the ruling.
> If
> > > "unlimited" users are throttled more tightly than tiered plan users,
> then
> > > that constitutes a limitation since it's not being applied across the
> board.
> > >
> > > At this point, as I see it, AT&T has four options:
> > >
> > > 1. Appeal the ruling and fight it out in court, which means either
> AT&T
> > > wins and nothing changes, or the customer wins and AT&T is stuck with
> the
> > > other choices below
> > >
> > > 2. Stop throttling unlimited plan users at lower thresholds than the
> > > highest level tiered plan
> > >
> > > 3. Pick an arbitrary "top 5%" level and throttle everybody, regardless
> of
> > > plan, when they reach that level
> > >
> > > 4. Cancel the unlimited plans altogether and force customers to go to
> a
> > > tiered plan.
> > >
> > > Since there's only one outcome in four that ends well for me, as an
> > > unlimited user, chances are that when all the dust clears I'll end up
> > > jumping ship to another carrier, likely Verizon, who also throttles,
> but
> > > much more reasonably -- they only throttle those using a particular
> tower
> > > when THAT tower becomes congested, and they stop throttling as soon as
> the
> > > congestion eases, usually a matter of hours or even minutes, rather
> than for
> > > the rest of the billing cycle as AT&T does.
> >
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7d.

Re: iPhone user successfully sues AT&T over 3G throttling

Posted by: "Jon Kreisler" jonkreisler@gmail.com   jonkreisler

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:02 pm (PST)



Unlimited means as much content as your heart desires.(MB, GB, TB) However,
the more you download, the more miserable AT&T makes the experience.
Jon

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM, whiterabbit32 <whiterabbit32@gmail.com>wrote:

> **
>
>
> I'm thinking AT&T is saying "unlimited" means unlimited use but not
> unlimited MB. Is that a correct interpretation?
>
>
> Alice
>
> Sent from my iPad 2
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Check out the

Y! Groups blog

Stay up to speed

on all things Groups!

Yahoo! Groups

Small Business Group

Own a business?

Connect with others.

Y! Messenger

PC-to-PC calls

Call your friends

worldwide - free!

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web