1/28/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8710

Messages In This Digest (8 Messages)

1a.
Re: Blowout quarter for Apple From: Harry Flaxman
1b.
Re: Blowout quarter for Apple From: Doug Yelmen
1c.
Re: Blowout quarter for Apple From: Jim Saklad
2.
Sync From: Earle Jones
3a.
Download Manager From: Jim Smith
3b.
Re: Download Manager From: Bob Cook
4.
Question for Carbonite users? From: neelie
5a.
Re: Bluetooth in App Folder, BUT will not run suddenly today. From: HAL9000

Messages

1a.

Re: Blowout quarter for Apple

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:34 pm (PST)



On 1/27/2012 7:24 PM, Ardell Faul wrote:
> Thats right, you will have to pay for those ugly details the government
> makes US companies pay attention to. Like not discharging mercury into
> the water, paying more than 10 cents an hour, not using 12 year olds to
> make them, etc etc etc. That's why the capitalists have moved the
> industrial base over seas.

Having been a fan of the nightly news for years, I can't help but hear
many people citing lack of skills of the worker base here in the US,
every time joblessness is brought up.

Skills: the ability to read and write as well as do simple mathematics?
I think so judging from many younger people I've run into and met.

An Intel executive was on one of the news shows citing this very reason
for Intel to get actively involved in education in this country.

Harry

1b.

Re: Blowout quarter for Apple

Posted by: "Doug Yelmen" dougyelmen@earthlink.net   dougyelmen

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:35 pm (PST)



how many billions of dollars does a company need to make.
especially a corporation that was built on social consciousness.
Hester, I hear you. you asked some good thoughtful questions,
and got hyperbole in return.
but, this is stretching the boundaries of what we are supposed to be talking about.
even from some above average, intelligent members.

since we are OT, i support our president in bringing manufacturing jobs back to the USA.

sorry, Michel. been holding that in for some time.

doug
On Jan 27, 2012, at 3:59 PM, OBrien wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 00:12:43 -0000, hester wrote:
>> The essential thing to me is this: Apple has such cachet and
>> prestige that if they insisted that conditions improve or lose
>> contract x, it would happen, even in China. I adore my MBP, just
>> love it. But I am distressed by the working conditions of those who
>> assembled it. And wanted to balance the 'blowout quarter' story
>> with facts about why perhaps it was a blow out.
>
> Maybe, Apple could bring their manufacturing back home to the USA where it used to be.
>
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
>
> O'Brien ––– –... .-. .. . -.
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

1c.

Re: Blowout quarter for Apple

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:55 pm (PST)



>> Thats right, you will have to pay for those ugly details the government makes US companies pay attention to. Like not discharging mercury into the water, paying more than 10 cents an hour, not using 12 year olds to make them, etc etc etc. That's why the capitalists have moved the industrial base over seas.
>
> Having been a fan of the nightly news for years, I can't help but hear many people citing lack of skills of the worker base here in the US, every time joblessness is brought up.

How the U.S. Lost Out on iPhone Work
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/apple-america-and-a-squeezed-middle-class.html>

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

2.

Sync

Posted by: "Earle Jones" earle.jones@comcast.net   earlejones501

Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:35 pm (PST)



What is the easiest way to sync two Macs (one iMac and one MacBook Pro—both on the same network)?

Thanks.

earle
*
_______________________
Earle Jones 鵃�br> 501 Portola Road #8008
Portola Valley CA 94028
Home: 650-424-4362
Cell: 650-269-0035
earle.jones@comcast.net

3a.

Download Manager

Posted by: "Jim Smith" jas1931@gmail.com   jimmacsmith

Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:57 pm (PST)



My IPS limits my bandwidth (I'm on satellite, for a while) , with open time 1am to 6am. So I looking for a download manager that will wake the Mac and download files during the open time. I've seen a couple but the reviews are not too good.

Recommendations please!

Jim Smith
www.rvcarelogbook.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3b.

Re: Download Manager

Posted by: "Bob Cook" cookrd1@discoveryowners.com   cookrd1

Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:09 pm (PST)



On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Jim Smith <jas1931@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> My IPS limits my bandwidth (I'm on satellite, for a while) , with open
> time 1am to 6am. So I looking for a download manager that will wake the Mac
> and download files during the open time. I've seen a couple but the reviews
> are not too good.
>
> Recommendations please!
>
There are several really good free ones for Windows, but the best I have
found for the Mac is Folx. I think it is about $20 and I also think they
have a free trial. Folx works good when I have to use my Motosat since I
can schedule any type of download, including Bittorrents, during the "free
time". It also has the capability to resume the download if the server
supports this feature.

I have been using my Android phone as a WIFI hotspot (Vz). I downloaded
over 26 GB last month just on Vz, most of it when I was in Phoenix and Las
Vegas on 4G.

Bob

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4.

Question for Carbonite users?

Posted by: "neelie" neeliec2000@yahoo.com   neeliec2000

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:01 pm (PST)



I want to do a clean install of my iMac 24 (circa 2007), running 10.6.8. I've been having ongoing issues with the spinning beach ball, mostly in Firefox, and have done all kinds of troubleshooting (thanks to suggestions from members here).

The results seem to work for a few days, then the problem(s) returns. One problem seems to be around something with "script" errors and I cannot isolate those. I get some little error message boxes and most of them are 3/4 of the way off the screen, and I can't read/copy what they say.

So my question is....if all my data is backed up via Carbonite, and I do a "restore" from Carbonite once I've wiped the hard drive clean, are the errors I've been encountering likely to be re-installed on my hard drive as part of the restoration of the data back-up?

Hope this makes sense!

neelie

5a.

Re: Bluetooth in App Folder, BUT will not run suddenly today.

Posted by: "HAL9000" jrswebhome@yahoo.com   jrswebhome

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:08 am (PST)



Apple store says the Bluetooth card is shot. Since I only have a iPhone I don't know how to edit the reply to shorten.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "HAL9000" <jrswebhome@...> wrote:
>
> Sorry, Dan and others, that was my impatience.
>
> Through Spotlight ONLY I see the Bluetooth Pref Pane in my System Pref Pane folder.
> But it is not functioning. Nor shows up in the top screen menu.
> Nor do I see it opening the System Preferences menu.
> Under System Info/Bluetooth: No information found.
> I have used Bluetooth w a Magic Mouse since I bought the iMac about two years ago.
>
> Is Bluetooth a hardware module that needs replacing?
> I've done all the preliminary plugging unplugging starting restarting.
>
> Sorry once again for my impatience. John R
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@> wrote:
> >
> > Howdy.
> >
> > Your post is confusing to me.
> >
> > I don't have a Bluetooth" app in my Applications folder (but this could
> > be because I don't have a Bluetooth device connected).
> >
> > Why is a "Bluetooth" app located in your Applications folder???
> >
> > Where does the Bluetooth app in your Applications come from? Was it
> > installed by a 3rd party (non Apple) installer?
> >
> > Is the Bluetooth app in your Applications folder actually the
> > Bluetooth.prefPane item from System/Library/PreferencesPanes folder??
> > (If so it's in the wrong location.)
> >
> > Have you used Bluetooth in System Preferences?
> >
> > Denver Dan
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 23:44:25 +0000, HAL9000 wrote:
> > > 27" iMac/2.0/OSX6.8/12gigRAM/1TBHD
> > >
> > > This situation has happened suddenly after months working fine.
> > > I posted at Apple Forums, but no help yet, so I ask here:
> > >
> > > Deleted the Main Library/Pref/bluetooth.plist, rebooted.
> > > Nothing
> > > Restarted w magic mouse off, removed batteries, replaced batteries,
> > > turned on magic mouse.
> > > Nothing
> > > Restarted holding Command+Option+P+R three dings
> > > Nothing
> > > Shutdown, unplugged all connections, then unplugged power cord,
> > > replugged all back. Restart.
> > > Nothing
> > > �br> > > > I can see the Bluetooth app in my applications folder. Clicking on it
> > > displays:
> > >
> > > "You can掐 open the 毢luetooth�preferences pane because
> > > it is not available to you at this time.
> > > To see this preferences pane, you may need to connect
> > > a device to your computer."
> > > �br> > > > I have not had this problem using Snow Leopard, ever, until today,
> > > and today Bluetooth suddenly STOPS working.
> > > �br> > > > I shut the computer down for 4 hours,
> > > then powered up and Bluetooth WAS ACTUALLY RUNNING.
> > > After 10 minutes, it QUIT.
> > > �br> > > > I booted from my SL installer disk and ran Disk Repair.
> > > I booted from my Diskwarrior Disk, repaired, especially,
> > > Disk Warrior blessed the sysytem folder.
> > >
> > > Apple Menu/More Info/Bluetooth/No information found.
> > > �br> > > > Does anyone know why Bluetooth is refusing to run?
> >
>

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web