1/29/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8711

Messages In This Digest (9 Messages)

1a.
Re: Sync From: Jay Abraham
2a.
Re: Not arranging by name From: jayant m
2b.
Re: Not arranging by name From: N.A. Nada
2c.
Re: Not arranging by name From: jayant m
3a.
Re: Download Manager From: Bill B.
4a.
Re: Question for Carbonite users? From: heikosennewald
5a.
Moving email addresses from Thunderbird to Contacts From: jim
5b.
Re: Moving email addresses from Thunderbird to Contacts From: Denver Dan
6.
renaming labels From: Les Streater

Messages

1a.

Re: Sync

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:29 am (PST)



I have used ChronoSync and it seems pretty good. However I don't sync regularly.

Jay

On Jan 27, 2012, at 7:35 PM, Earle Jones wrote:

> What is the easiest way to sync two Macs (one iMac and one MacBook Pro—both on the same network)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> earle
> *

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: Not arranging by name

Posted by: "jayant m" jmurthy@yahoo.com   jmurthy

Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:43 am (PST)



I should have expanded. I have Applications opened in the column view. I click on the Arrange By box and pick Name. My order is then:

iTerm
BitTorrent
iDisplay
TextWrangler
DOSBox
Adobe Digital Editions
...

The other options (Date, size etc all seem to be ok - just name). Same issue with other folders. List view works just as I would expect but I like column view.
Thanks
JM

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Tod Hopkins <hoplist@...> wrote:
>
> Arrange by Name (and all other "Arrange" functions) applies to arranging icons, not to files in "list" views. List views are controlled by column sorting. To sort by name, click the Name column. Click the date column to sort by date. And so on...
>
> tod
>
> On Jan 27, 2012, at 12:09 AM, jayant m wrote:
>
> > I have "Arrange by Name" enabled but the order is not by name. ls in a terminal window works fine; it's only in the Finder window that things don't work. I repaired all the permissions so that is not the problem. Any ideas, or even better, solutions?
> >
> > Thanks
> > JM
> >
> >
>
> Tod Hopkins
> Hillmann & Carr Inc.
> todhopkins@...
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

2b.

Re: Not arranging by name

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:29 am (PST)




On Jan 28, 2012, at 6:43 AM, jayant m wrote:

> I should have expanded. I have Applications opened in the column view. I click on the Arrange By box and pick Name. My order is then:
>
> iTerm
> BitTorrent
> iDisplay
> TextWrangler
> DOSBox
> Adobe Digital Editions
> ...
>
> The other options (Date, size etc all seem to be ok - just name). Same issue with other folders. List view works just as I would expect but I like column view.

Move one view to the left and try Arrange again. It does not work in Column view, but should in Detail view.
2c.

Re: Not arranging by name

Posted by: "jayant m" jmurthy@yahoo.com   jmurthy

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:13 am (PST)





--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@...> wrote:
>
>
> On Jan 28, 2012, at 6:43 AM, jayant m wrote:
>
> > I should have expanded. I have Applications opened in the column view. I click on the Arrange By box and pick Name. My order is then:
> >
> > iTerm
> > BitTorrent
> > iDisplay
> > TextWrangler
> > DOSBox
> > Adobe Digital Editions
> > ...
> >
> > The other options (Date, size etc all seem to be ok - just name). Same issue with other folders. List view works just as I would expect but I like column view.
>
> Move one view to the left and try Arrange again. It does not work in Column view, but should in Detail view.
>

Thanks, but clearly this is a bug which was introduced in Lion. It worked fine in Snow Leopard and Tiger. I don't like Detail view.

I suppose they will fix it sooner or later.
JM

3a.

Re: Download Manager

Posted by: "Bill B." bill501@mindspring.com   kernos501

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:50 am (PST)



At 8:57 PM -0500 1/27/12, Jim Smith wrote:
>My IPS limits my bandwidth (I'm on satellite, for a while) , with open time 1am to 6am. So I looking for a download manager that will wake the Mac and download files during the open time. I've seen a couple but the reviews are not too good.
>
>Recommendations please!

I don't think you can beat Speed Download. It does do scheduling.

http://www.yazsoft.com/

Bill B

4a.

Re: Question for Carbonite users?

Posted by: "heikosennewald" heikosennewald@yahoo.de   heikosennewald

Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:49 pm (PST)



I am not using nor do I know what exactly is stored in a carbonite backup, but I suggest to only restore documents and media files, as well as apps that did not come with an installer. Importing the Library folders (/Library and ~/Library) and system folders however might not be the best option as your current problems could be caused by data stored in those folders.

Regards,
Heiko

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "neelie" <neeliec2000@...> wrote:
>
> I want to do a clean install of my iMac 24 (circa 2007), running 10.6.8. I've been having ongoing issues with the spinning beach ball, mostly in Firefox, and have done all kinds of troubleshooting (thanks to suggestions from members here).
>
> The results seem to work for a few days, then the problem(s) returns. One problem seems to be around something with "script" errors and I cannot isolate those. I get some little error message boxes and most of them are 3/4 of the way off the screen, and I can't read/copy what they say.
>
> So my question is....if all my data is backed up via Carbonite, and I do a "restore" from Carbonite once I've wiped the hard drive clean, are the errors I've been encountering likely to be re-installed on my hard drive as part of the restoration of the data back-up?
>
> Hope this makes sense!
>
> neelie
>

5a.

Moving email addresses from Thunderbird to Contacts

Posted by: "jim" fosterjp@cox.net   swarfmaster

Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:18 pm (PST)



Most of the messages have to do with moving files. Being rather new to this does anyone have a suggestion?

Jim

5b.

Re: Moving email addresses from Thunderbird to Contacts

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:52 pm (PST)



Howdy.

Thunderbird's address book can EXPORT addresses in LDIF, comma
separated values (CSV), and Tab Delimited file.

Apple's free Address Book on your Macintosh can import addresses from
vCard, LDAP/LDIF, Tab-delimited, and CSV formats.

First import addresses into Address Book on your Mac and then be sure
that it syncs with what I assume is Contacts on iPhone, iPod Touch,
iPad (you don't mention what your "Contacts" is part of).

Denver Dan

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 23:18:15 +0000, jim wrote:
> Most of the messages have to do with moving files. Being rather new
> to this does anyone have a suggestion?
>
> Jim
>

6.

renaming labels

Posted by: "Les Streater" lesstreater@marpubs.demon.co.uk   linernutuk

Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:04 am (PST)



I am about to use labels on a large folder of photos and notes to allocate them to various sections. I would like to rename them but with the names only applicable to this folder, not to the overall system.

Is there a programme that will allow this? I have read through the Unsanity Labels X but it doesn't cover this point. It would also be useful to add more labels. Google doesn't seem to have any suggestions, other than using Resourcer and Photoshop to alter what is already there.

Suggestions?

Les Streater
www.lesstreater.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web