12/17/2011

[macsupport] Digest Number 8624

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

1a.
Downloads From: gloriajstitcher@sbcglobal.net
1b.
Re: Downloads From: Larson
1c.
Re: Downloads From: Otto Nikolaus
1d.
Re: Downloads From: N.A. Nada
2.
GIMP & Lion From: Harry Flaxman
3a.
Re: MacBook Pro with 2880x1800 resolution? From: Bill B.
4a.
Cleaning up Start Menu From: Dean
4b.
Re: Cleaning up Start Menu From: Denver Dan
4c.
Re: Cleaning up Start Menu From: Otto Nikolaus
5a.
Re: Space Available Drastically Wrong! From: Arjun Singhal
5b.
Re: Space Available Drastically Wrong! From: Harry Flaxman
5c.
Re: Space Available Drastically Wrong! From: Harry Flaxman
5d.
Re: Space Available Drastically Wrong! From: Christopher Collins
5e.
Re: Space Available Drastically Wrong! From: Harry Flaxman
5f.
Re: Space Available Drastically Wrong! From: Randy B. Singer
6a.
ADMIN (was Re: [macsupport] OT: PayPal accounts) From: Michel Munger
7a.
iDefrag From: Harry Flaxman
7b.
Re: iDefrag From: Randy B. Singer
7c.
Re: iDefrag From: Harry Flaxman
7d.
Re: iDefrag From: Jim Saklad
7e.
Re: iDefrag From: Steve B.
7f.
Re: iDefrag From: Harry Flaxman
7g.
Re: iDefrag From: Harry Flaxman
7h.
Re: iDefrag From: Harry Flaxman
7i.
Re: iDefrag From: Jim Saklad

Messages

1a.

Downloads

Posted by: "gloriajstitcher@sbcglobal.net" gloriamraz@zoominternet.net   gloriajstitcher@sbcglobal.net

Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:20 am (PST)



Thanks to everyone for their help. I love this Mac but it is so different from a windows-based pc. And to top it off, I have Parallels and Windows XP on it so that makes it even more difficult for me to do the things I am used to doing on my Dell.

I have to say I am extremely intimidated by the knowledge level on this group. All of you are soooo smart! And I feel like I don't know what the heck I am doing! My grandson came over yesterday and showed me some things my Mac coud do which I was totally unaware of. I guess it just comes with playing with it and clicking.

I did change the download folder in Safari preferences...didn't know I could do that. But it is still not as easy to do as on the Dell.

1b.

Re: Downloads

Posted by: "Larson" pix@maksimo.de   yovard@ymail.com

Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:52 am (PST)




On 17.12.2011, at 02:12, Jim Saklad wrote:

>
> I found a utility for Safari, under Snow Leopard, I think, that automatically created a download subfolder by date.
>
> This resulted in the .zip file (for example) appearing in a subfolder at the top of the display (when sorted by date)

You probably mean Glims

http://www.machangout.com/
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27708/glims

Anna

1c.

Re: Downloads

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:22 am (PST)



Hi Gloria,

For some reason this is appearing as a new thread. Did you reply or use
compose/new message?

It's been a while since I used Win XP but I don't remember it being any
easier to change the default download folder. In general, I find the
reverse: OS X is easier than Windows.

Has anyone pointed you towards the info available at apple.com? I think
these will help a lot.
<http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/>
<http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/>
There are also video tutorials.
<http://support.apple.com/videos/>

Otto

On 17 December 2011 14:20, gloriajstitcher@sbcglobal.net <
gloriamraz@zoominternet.net> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for their help. I love this Mac but it is so different
> from a windows-based pc. And to top it off, I have Parallels and Windows
> XP on it so that makes it even more difficult for me to do the things I am
> used to doing on my Dell.
>
> I have to say I am extremely intimidated by the knowledge level on this
> group. All of you are soooo smart! And I feel like I don't know what the
> heck I am doing! My grandson came over yesterday and showed me some things
> my Mac coud do which I was totally unaware of. I guess it just comes with
> playing with it and clicking.
>
> I did change the download folder in Safari preferences...didn't know I
> could do that. But it is still not as easy to do as on the Dell.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1d.

Re: Downloads

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:13 pm (PST)




On Dec 17, 2011, at 6:20 AM, gloriajstitcher@sbcglobal.net wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for their help. I love this Mac but it is so different from a windows-based pc. And to top it off, I have Parallels and Windows XP on it so that makes it even more difficult for me to do the things I am used to doing on my Dell.
>
> I have to say I am extremely intimidated by the knowledge level on this group. All of you are soooo smart! And I feel like I don't know what the heck I am doing! My grandson came over yesterday and showed me some things my Mac coud do which I was totally unaware of. I guess it just comes with playing with it and clicking.
>
> I did change the download folder in Safari preferences...didn't know I could do that. But it is still not as easy to do as on the Dell.

Don't feel intimidated. There is just a lot of experience here, along with a willingness to share. That is both Mac and Windows experience.

If you decide to try BootCamp, you will find XP will run smoother and faster. The only problem is that you will have to reboot to use XP. After a while you will find it faster than the Dell. BTW, I am using a Dell copy of XP on my Mac in BootCamp.

The biggest problem I had learning Windows for work was vocabulary. It is called this on a Mac and that in Windows. F1 gets you Help in Windows, and Help from the menu bar gets you Help on a Mac. You can usually use your old vocabulary in Help to find the new word and way.

After you learn the vocabulary, and you buy a few Mac apps, you will find it easier still.

That is why there is so much experience on both sides of the OS here. Many of us have been there.

It is all good.

Brent

2.

GIMP & Lion

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:34 am (PST)



Does anyone know if the current build of GIMP, 2.6.11, runs well in Lion? I see only that version as the most recent and listing up to 10.6.

TIA

Harry

3a.

Re: MacBook Pro with 2880x1800 resolution?

Posted by: "Bill B." bill501@mindspring.com   kernos501

Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:12 am (PST)



At 10:04 PM -0800 12/15/11, Nick Andriash wrote:
>> I run my 17" MBP at 1980x1200 = 2,376,000 pixels
>> The new screen would be 2880x1800 = 5,184,000 pixels
>> Dividing gives 2.18 times, still impressive.
>
>
>Bill, how are you able to run...and read it properly... at such a high resolution? My 2011 17"MBP has >a maximum 1920 x 1200, which itself is too small for my tired eyes.

I run at 1920x1200 (2880x1800 is a rumored future resolution). I'm on my 3rd 17" and I have tired old eyes too, but have learned to compensate. EG, my default font size in Safari is 18 minimun size is 14 which helps ,most sites. But I still use cmd= and cmd- to change font sizes on a web page. I use screen zoom a lot. I change System default font sizes with TinkerTool etc. My default email font size is 16 in Eudora.

I like large screen sizes since I use Photoshop a lot on large images and keep Safari windows sized so I can put 2 side x side.

And, I have one part of my trifocals optimized for my laptop distance which helps a lot!

Bill

4a.

Cleaning up Start Menu

Posted by: "Dean" W5GXL.Dean@gmail.com   w5gxl_dean

Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:25 am (PST)



I am running 10.7.2 and I have apps that start up I no longer want.
I have an IMac 2 ghz intel core 2 duo e/w 6 gb ram
20 inch Mid 2007 model
It has been running slow at times and I reboot but I think I have just too many apps running at the same time

Thank you
Dean

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4b.

Re: Cleaning up Start Menu

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:21 am (PST)



Howdy.

Do you have a question?

If you have too many applications in your Login items list in Accounts,
remove some.

Denver Dan

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 09:25:29 -0600, Dean wrote:
> I am running 10.7.2 and I have apps that start up I no longer want.
> I have an IMac 2 ghz intel core 2 duo e/w 6 gb ram
> 20 inch Mid 2007 model
> It has been running slow at times and I reboot but I think I have
> just too many apps running at the same time
>
> Thank you
> Dean

4c.

Re: Cleaning up Start Menu

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:25 am (PST)



Sometimes impressions can be false. I suggest running Activity Monitor (in
Applications > Utilities) so see what's going on. Click on CPU to sort on
that with highest at the top. See what the total usage of CPU and System
Memory are at the bottom of the window.

Otto

On 17 December 2011 15:25, Dean <W5GXL.Dean@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am running 10.7.2 and I have apps that start up I no longer want.
> I have an IMac 2 ghz intel core 2 duo e/w 6 gb ram
> 20 inch Mid 2007 model
> It has been running slow at times and I reboot but I think I have just too
> many apps running at the same time
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Re: Space Available Drastically Wrong!

Posted by: "Arjun Singhal" arjunsinghal@yahoo.com   arjunsinghal

Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:43 am (PST)



I am still seeing differences in how the free space on my hard disk is being reported. It took me a long while to organize my stuff after I pitched in to buy this new machine, while my old one had gone back and forth multiple times in repair.

And 20 days into using the new one, without any installation disks, thumb drive or anything that will help me with a speedy recovery, I am hating the idea of doing a clean install. :(

On 17-Dec-2011, at 4:57 PM, Christopher Collins wrote:

> Actually Randy, whether it is Windows, MAC OS X or Linux/Unix/Xenix makes little to no difference.
>
> Data Corruption can hide on the most mysterious of places. Like damage from viruses/malware/trojans can hide in the most mysterious of places.
>
> My suggestion for doing a clean install was proved right.
>
> Nuke & Pave, no matter what the OS, is the simplest & quickest way to ensure a damaged OS is going to work quickly.
>
> If you value your time at nothing, then by all means spend as much time as you want try to fix a damaged OS.
>
> The only guaranteed way to repair any faulty OS is a clean install.
>
> cjc
>
> On 17/12/2011, at 12:29 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
>
> >
> > On Dec 16, 2011, at 4:11 PM, Christopher Collins wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > I'd be suggesting that you backup your drive and do a clean install.
> > >
> > > Memory/data corruption, like virus damage, can hide in the most
> > > mysterious of places.
> > >
> > > Doing a nuke&pave now, could save you a heap of problems down the
> > > line.
> > >
> > > And reinstall all your apps clean too!
> > >
> > > cjc
> >
> > You must be new to the Macintosh and used to the way things are done
> > in the Windows world, Christopher.
> >
> > First, there is little to no "virus damage" that Mac users
> > encounter. While there are over a million viruses for Windows, there
> > are no actual viruses in the wild for the Mac, and extremely little
> > malware in general.
> >
> > Second, reinstalling the OS and apps is a very last resort thing that
> > is rarely necessary with the Mac. Macs are much more reliable than
> > Windows boxes, and they tend to be easier to troubleshoot when they
> > do encounter problems.
> >
> > These are two of the really big reasons people use/switch to the
> > Macintosh.
> >
> > ___________________________________________
> > Randy B. Singer
> > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)_
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5b.

Re: Space Available Drastically Wrong!

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:36 pm (PST)



On Dec 17, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Arjun Singhal wrote:
>
> I am still seeing differences in how the free space on my hard disk is being reported. It took me a long while to organize my stuff after I pitched in to buy this new machine, while my old one had gone back and forth multiple times in repair.
>
> And 20 days into using the new one, without any installation disks, thumb drive or anything that will help me with a speedy recovery, I am hating the idea of doing a clean install. :(

Arjun,

Being as I have a freshly installed copy, I'll keep an eye on the numbers and see how it goes. Should I start to find differences, I'll share the experience here. So far, so good, but the install is but 24 hours old!

Harry

5c.

Re: Space Available Drastically Wrong!

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:38 pm (PST)



On Dec 17, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Arjun Singhal wrote:
>
> I am still seeing differences in how the free space on my hard disk is being reported. It took me a long while to organize my stuff after I pitched in to buy this new machine, while my old one had gone back and forth multiple times in repair.
>
> And 20 days into using the new one, without any installation disks, thumb drive or anything that will help me with a speedy recovery, I am hating the idea of doing a clean install. :(

Incidentally, I just now did the once over of the figures between Disk Utility, Grandperspective, and Finder. They all matched exactly for the system disk. This is where I was seeing a huge difference before.

Harry

5d.

Re: Space Available Drastically Wrong!

Posted by: "Christopher Collins" maclist@analogdigital.com.au   cjc1959au

Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:18 pm (PST)



The other thing to watch regarding space usage is the applications themselves.

Lion (I don't think Snow did this) now measures gigabytes in the same way that hard disk manufacturers. (1KB = 1000 buyes, 1MB = 1000KB, etc - not binary).

Some of the applications I use such as Burn still measure disk space in binary.

So they both show different amounts of storage.

Just another thing to watch.

cjc

On 18/12/2011, at 2:43 AM, Arjun Singhal wrote:

> I am still seeing differences in how the free space on my hard disk is being reported. It took me a long while to organize my stuff after I pitched in to buy this new machine, while my old one had gone back and forth multiple times in repair.
>
> And 20 days into using the new one, without any installation disks, thumb drive or anything that will help me with a speedy recovery, I am hating the idea of doing a clean install. :(
>
> On 17-Dec-2011, at 4:57 PM, Christopher Collins wrote:
>
>> Actually Randy, whether it is Windows, MAC OS X or Linux/Unix/Xenix makes little to no difference.
>>
>> Data Corruption can hide on the most mysterious of places. Like damage from viruses/malware/trojans can hide in the most mysterious of places.
>>
>> My suggestion for doing a clean install was proved right.
>>
>> Nuke & Pave, no matter what the OS, is the simplest & quickest way to ensure a damaged OS is going to work quickly.
>>
>> If you value your time at nothing, then by all means spend as much time as you want try to fix a damaged OS.
>>
>> The only guaranteed way to repair any faulty OS is a clean install.
>>
>> cjc
>>
>> On 17/12/2011, at 12:29 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> On Dec 16, 2011, at 4:11 PM, Christopher Collins wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> I'd be suggesting that you backup your drive and do a clean install.
>>>>
>>>> Memory/data corruption, like virus damage, can hide in the most
>>>> mysterious of places.
>>>>
>>>> Doing a nuke&pave now, could save you a heap of problems down the
>>>> line.
>>>>
>>>> And reinstall all your apps clean too!
>>>>
>>>> cjc
>>>
>>> You must be new to the Macintosh and used to the way things are done
>>> in the Windows world, Christopher.
>>>
>>> First, there is little to no "virus damage" that Mac users
>>> encounter. While there are over a million viruses for Windows, there
>>> are no actual viruses in the wild for the Mac, and extremely little
>>> malware in general.
>>>
>>> Second, reinstalling the OS and apps is a very last resort thing that
>>> is rarely necessary with the Mac. Macs are much more reliable than
>>> Windows boxes, and they tend to be easier to troubleshoot when they
>>> do encounter problems.
>>>
>>> These are two of the really big reasons people use/switch to the
>>> Macintosh.
>>>
>>> ___________________________________________
>>> Randy B. Singer
>>> Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)_
>>>

5e.

Re: Space Available Drastically Wrong!

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:22 pm (PST)



On Dec 17, 2011, at 5:18 PM, Christopher Collins wrote:
>
> The other thing to watch regarding space usage is the applications themselves.
>
> Lion (I don't think Snow did this) now measures gigabytes in the same way that hard disk manufacturers. (1KB = 1000 buyes, 1MB = 1000KB, etc - not binary).
>
> Some of the applications I use such as Burn still measure disk space in binary.
>
> So they both show different amounts of storage.
>
> Just another thing to watch.
>
> cjc

See my post earlier in this thread about base 2 vs. base 10 numbering.

There used to be a hack that a loving soul put out after every update to 'fix' this, but I think he gave up.

This happened back in 10.6.

Annoying, to me.

Harry

5f.

Re: Space Available Drastically Wrong!

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:09 pm (PST)




On Dec 17, 2011, at 3:27 AM, Christopher Collins wrote:

> Actually Randy, whether it is Windows, MAC OS X or Linux/Unix/Xenix
> makes little to no difference.
>
> Data Corruption can hide on the most mysterious of places. Like
> damage from viruses/malware/trojans can hide in the most mysterious
> of places.

I'm afraid that I don't agree with you, and neither do every other
Macintosh expert that I've ever come in contact with.

Different operating systems are...different. Extrapolating from one
to another (something that Windows users like to do) doesn't always
work.

Damage from malware is just about non-existant on the Mac, as just
about any long-time Mac user can tell you. There just isn't a lot of
malware for OS X, and what does exist isn't prevalent.

Insist all that you want, you have nothing to back this up. It is
simply bad advice that less experienced Mac users should be wary of.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

6a.

ADMIN (was Re: [macsupport] OT: PayPal accounts)

Posted by: "Michel Munger" michel@macsupportcentral.com   mmungermtl

Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:35 am (PST)



Please, no further discussion that is off-topic.

Michel (Group owner)

Tod Hopkins said:
> It is difficult to be truly anonymous in electronic payments. What would constitute "revealing" your identity? Your real name? You can set up a PayPal account that is not under your real name the way many businesses do. I believe you would be anonymous as an individual, at least in the initial transaction. PayPal certainly knows who you are, though you could step back from this one degree by setting up a business entity and linking the account to this. How anonymous the business entity is would depend on how you set it up. And since PayPal is not in the business of protecting your identity, it's probably possible to link a PayPal account name back to it's owner even if it is not visible in the transaction, which brings us back to how anonymous do you want to be.
>
> I would not trust Paypal to give you a reliable answer anyway. If you really want to know, I suggest paying yourself. Or ask a friend to send you a dollar and see what info you get.
>
> cheers,
> tod
>
>
>
>
> On Dec 13, 2011, at 2:00 PM, Oneal Neumann wrote:
>
>> I tried to get this info from the PayPal website, however there was nothing there that specifically dealt with my issue.
>>
>> I have a PayPal account. I want to donate ANONYMOUSLY, however I do not see anything that says that I can do that.
>>
>> With respect to creditcards, there are real links. For instance, my VISA card (which is linked to PayPal) idees me, so I can‚t make any direct donation with it.
>>
>> Will PayPal reveal who I am if I use it for donations?
>>
>> On a related (but currently nonpressing) issue, I write under a literary alias. I want to be able to set up a PayPal account that will allow me to be paid as who I am, literarily speaking. Can that be done? I have not found anything yet on PayPal.
>>
>> Thanx. Oneal
>>
>>
>>
>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Group FAQ:
>> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>>
>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> Tod Hopkins
> Hillmann& Carr Inc.
> todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

7a.

iDefrag

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:50 pm (PST)



I was just looking into iDefrag, something which I would never have considered in the past. Randy, you may have some thoughts on this.

I have been weeding out large unnecessary files from my new install in the form of data files that I moved over after the install. Unbeknownst to me, I moved several large files that were archived in my Documents directory. I had actually forgot they were there and I just trashed them.

After all of this shuffling and deletions, I ran the demo of iDefrag. Fragmentation reports are very, very low, considering how much 'crap' I got rid of. They average from 0.1% to 0.4% under the files section. The largest figure I see in the display is 12.9% under Free Space.

Being as I have never used an app like this, I kind of wonder whether it's really necessary after looking at these figures.

It's been mentioned here that iDefrag also optimizes the filesystem. Is this worth the money and effort?

Just looking to kick this around and maybe get some input from folks that use iDefrag.

TIA

Harry

7b.

Re: iDefrag

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:03 pm (PST)




On Dec 17, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> After all of this shuffling and deletions, I ran the demo of
> iDefrag. Fragmentation reports are very, very low, considering how
> much 'crap' I got rid of. They average from 0.1% to 0.4% under the
> files section. The largest figure I see in the display is 12.9%
> under Free Space.
>
> Being as I have never used an app like this, I kind of wonder
> whether it's really necessary after looking at these figures.
>
> It's been mentioned here that iDefrag also optimizes the
> filesystem. Is this worth the money and effort?

Are you saying that your hard disk only has about 13% free? (That
would be dangerously low.) Or that the largest chunk of free space
is about 13% of the disk?

As long as you have a large chunk of free contiguous space on your
hard drive for the system to write to, you are in good shape. If you
don't, you will eventually have problems. Using iDefrag can
forestall those problems.

If you don't currently have a problem with fragmentation, running
iDefrag can still often provide a surprising increase in performance,
and reduced startup time. (Assuming that you are using a traditional
hard drive and not a SSD or hybrid.)

MacFixIt has an article on defragmenting your hard drive, including a
test of iDefrag:
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20070301091515843

"...in our informal testing, we noticed significantly snappier
operation of Spotlight and quicker response from Mail.app after
performing only the least invasive of iDefrag's optimization routines."
"The bottom line is that users with large files will benefit most
greatly from defragmentation routines in Mac OS X. However, use of
the disk optimization routines offered by tools like iDefrag can also
serve as a boon to casual users of Mac OS X looking for a speed boost."

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

7c.

Re: iDefrag

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:14 pm (PST)





On Dec 17, 2011, at 8:03 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> Are you saying that your hard disk only has about 13% free? (That
> would be dangerously low.) Or that the largest chunk of free space
> is about 13% of the disk?
>
> As long as you have a large chunk of free contiguous space on your
> hard drive for the system to write to, you are in good shape. If you
> don't, you will eventually have problems. Using iDefrag can
> forestall those problems.
>
> If you don't currently have a problem with fragmentation, running
> iDefrag can still often provide a surprising increase in performance,
> and reduced startup time. (Assuming that you are using a traditional
> hard drive and not a SSD or hybrid.)

No, the hard drive has about 80% free, that was the figure that iDefrag gave for a fragmentation figure listed under 'free space'. I'm not quite sure what that means, but this is the first time I'm looking at such a program for OS X. It's not a straightforward analysis, to me anyway.

I am seriously considering the program at this point. As I've been rambling on about, my computer is astonishingly different since I did an erase and install, and I'd like to keep it that way. I would love to install a SSD, but unfortunately, it's the wrong time of year to be looking further into the wallet!

I will read the article you mention. I'd be willing to bet that the 30 bucks would be negligible considering the return in performance. Have you used the program at all, or do you know of associates that have and have mentioned it?

Thanks Randy.

Harry

Harry Flaxman
harry.flaxman@comcast.net

7d.

Re: iDefrag

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:04 pm (PST)



> After all of this shuffling and deletions, I ran the demo of iDefrag. Fragmentation reports are very, very low, considering how much 'crap' I got rid of. They average from 0.1% to 0.4% under the files section. The largest figure I see in the display is 12.9% under Free Space.
>
> Being as I have never used an app like this, I kind of wonder whether it's really necessary after looking at these figures.
>
> It's been mentioned here that iDefrag also optimizes the filesystem. Is this worth the money and effort?

I've had iDeFrag for years, and I keep it updated.
That said, it was of much greater utility in years past than it is today.
I'm not entirely sure I would purchase it today.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7e.

Re: iDefrag

Posted by: "Steve B." macosx@xebrawerx.com   xebrawerx

Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:19 pm (PST)



Harry,

I think our thread on iDefrag (beginning Nov 16th) stated all positions on this product.

Steve B.

On Dec 17, 2011, at 5:50 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

I was just looking into iDefrag, something which I would never have considered in the past. Randy, you may have some thoughts on this.

I have been weeding out large unnecessary files from my new install in the form of data files that I moved over after the install. Unbeknownst to me, I moved several large files that were archived in my Documents directory. I had actually forgot they were there and I just trashed them.

After all of this shuffling and deletions, I ran the demo of iDefrag. Fragmentation reports are very, very low, considering how much 'crap' I got rid of. They average from 0.1% to 0.4% under the files section. The largest figure I see in the display is 12.9% under Free Space.

Being as I have never used an app like this, I kind of wonder whether it's really necessary after looking at these figures.

It's been mentioned here that iDefrag also optimizes the filesystem. Is this worth the money and effort?

Just looking to kick this around and maybe get some input from folks that use iDefrag.

TIA

Harry

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7f.

Re: iDefrag

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:26 pm (PST)



On Dec 17, 2011, at 9:19 PM, Steve B. wrote:

> Harry,
>
> I think our thread on iDefrag (beginning Nov 16th) stated all positions on this product.
>
> Steve B.

Will look back. I don't read the list on Yahoo, rather, in Mail. I usually keep 4-5 months worth of mail from this group before archiving. Will look back though.

Harry

Harry Flaxman
harry.flaxman@comcast.net

7g.

Re: iDefrag

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:27 pm (PST)



On Dec 17, 2011, at 9:19 PM, Steve B. wrote:

> Harry,
>
> I think our thread on iDefrag (beginning Nov 16th) stated all positions on this product.
>
> Steve B.

Yup, found the thread. Never any harm in rehashing old business! :) :)

I think Jim convinced me in his usual verbose style!

Thanks Jim. 'Nuff said.

Harry

Harry Flaxman
harry.flaxman@comcast.net

7h.

Re: iDefrag

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:29 pm (PST)



On Dec 17, 2011, at 9:04 PM, Jim Saklad wrote:

> I've had iDeFrag for years, and I keep it updated.
> That said, it was of much greater utility in years past than it is today.
> I'm not entirely sure I would purchase it today.

Jim,

Is the new version much improved over the last one?

Harry

Harry Flaxman
harry.flaxman@comcast.net

7i.

Re: iDefrag

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:11 pm (PST)



>> I've had iDeFrag for years, and I keep it updated.
>> That said, it was of much greater utility in years past than it is today.
>> I'm not entirely sure I would purchase it today.
>
> Is the new version much improved over the last one?
> Harry

I think the only *recent* changes are Lion compatibility.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.