12/30/2011

[macsupport] Digest Number 8649

Messages In This Digest (18 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Where did my files go?

Posted by: "Dane Robison" macdane@mac.com   macdane1

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:04 pm (PST)



Just to be clear, command-z is the standard keyboard shortcut for
"undo," not a method for deleting files. When I hit command-z, it was
to undo some other, unrelated thing I'd done in Finder. Instead of
undoing whatever that was, Finder decided to undo the copying of those
photos. I just want to be sure I don't give the impression that I used
command-z to delete files.

So when you duplicated that folder (let's call it "folder copy") and
then hit command-z, you weren't trashing the dupe...you were undoing
the duplication. In a sense, a copy operation is the same thing: I'm
duplicating a set of external files on my internal drive. Right? When
I hit command-z, I was just undoing that duplication, I guess. But in
either case, I'd kinda-sorta expect the dupes to go in the trash
rather than just vanishing.

Dane

On Dec 29, 2011, at 5:44 PM, Michael P. Stupinski wrote:

> I've never used command-z that I can remember, but you're right, most
> of the time stuff I delete ends up in the trash folder. I just
> duplicated a folder on my desktop and then, while the duplicate was
> still highlighted, I hit command-z and the file disappeared, but it
> did not appear in the trash.
>
> .....Mike
>
>
> On Dec 29, 2011, at 5:14 PM, Dane Robison wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> I should've been more clear that this is more of a curiosity than
>> emergency. I can get the CF card back and copy the files again
>> tonight. What I did to provide the progress window was command-z
>> (undo). Apparently, the last "undoable" event in the Finder was the
>> copying of those files, so it "undid" the copy. It seems reasonable
>> that undoing a copy operation is equivalent to deleting, but when I
>> delete files they at least end up in the trash where I can access
>> them
>> before emptying.
>>
>> Off the top of my head, I can't think of a time when I've deleted
>> files from my startup drive and had them simply vanish, without a
>> layover in the trash. Can you?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dane
>>
>> On Dec 29, 2011, at 4:54 PM, Michael P. Stupinski wrote:
>>
>>> Dane,
>>>
>>> I'm going to guess here, and maybe a better answer will be provided
>>> by
>>> someone. I don't know what process you kicked off to provide that
>>> progress window, but I suspect that you simply did a bulk deletion
>>> of
>>> the pictures from your HD. The files didn't go anywhere. They
>>> should
>>> still be on your HD, just as with any deletion of files, until you
>>> write over (with new files) the space where the files resided.
>>> Use a
>>> file recovery program as soon as possible to get back as many files
>>> as
>>> possible. Do little else (ideally nothing else) before doing this,
>>> to
>>> prevent more pictures from being overwritten. Look back in the list
>>> archives for a fairly recent discussion of file recovery programs.
>>>
>>> .............Mike
>>>
>>> On Dec 29, 2011, at 2:08 PM, Dane Robison wrote:
>>>
>>>> This is a weird problem...I'm not even sure how to construct a
>>>> short
>>>> but meaningful subject line. 10.5.8 and here's the scenario:
>>>>
>>>> 1. Copied almost 5000 photos from a compact flash camera card to my
>>>> laptop, using Finder.
>>>> 2. Did a bunch of other, unrelated work over the next several
>>>> hours.
>>>> 3. Hit command-z to undo something; whatever it was appears not to
>>>> be
>>>> undoable, because I got a little progress window showing "Undoing
>>>> Copy
>>>> of Almost 5000 Photos from Compact Flash Card"
>>>>
>>>> I canceled the operation immediately, but am left with only 89 of
>>>> the
>>>> nearly 5000 photos. The CF card is no longer in my possession and
>>>> there's nothing in the trash. Where did those files go?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Dane

1b.

Re: Where did my files go?

Posted by: "Michael P. Stupinski" mpstupinski@snet.net   mstupinski

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:32 pm (PST)



I know what you saying (it's an undo command) and I didn't think you
were using it as a deletion command. The question, in my mind, is
what the command "undid." That is, when the files were copied to
your computer were they actually saved on the drive, or were they just
held in memory temporarily? It seems logical to me that they were
saved on the drive and then the command did something to reverse the
copy. I don't think the command physically removed the files from the
drive but, rather, that it instantly removed them from the directory
without moving them to the trash. That's my guess, anyway. The only
way to determine if that's true would be to use a recovery program on
the drive and see if it finds any of them.

As to WHY it undid the copy operation, rather than the last operation
you performed, I can't guess at that.

..............Mike

On Dec 29, 2011, at 6:04 PM, Dane Robison wrote:

> Just to be clear, command-z is the standard keyboard shortcut for
> "undo," not a method for deleting files. When I hit command-z, it was
> to undo some other, unrelated thing I'd done in Finder. Instead of
> undoing whatever that was, Finder decided to undo the copying of those
> photos. I just want to be sure I don't give the impression that I used
> command-z to delete files.
>
> So when you duplicated that folder (let's call it "folder copy") and
> then hit command-z, you weren't trashing the dupe...you were undoing
> the duplication. In a sense, a copy operation is the same thing: I'm
> duplicating a set of external files on my internal drive. Right? When
> I hit command-z, I was just undoing that duplication, I guess. But in
> either case, I'd kinda-sorta expect the dupes to go in the trash
> rather than just vanishing.
>
> Dane
>
> On Dec 29, 2011, at 5:44 PM, Michael P. Stupinski wrote:
>
>> I've never used command-z that I can remember, but you're right, most
>> of the time stuff I delete ends up in the trash folder. I just
>> duplicated a folder on my desktop and then, while the duplicate was
>> still highlighted, I hit command-z and the file disappeared, but it
>> did not appear in the trash.
>>
>> .....Mike
>>
>>
>> On Dec 29, 2011, at 5:14 PM, Dane Robison wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> I should've been more clear that this is more of a curiosity than
>>> emergency. I can get the CF card back and copy the files again
>>> tonight. What I did to provide the progress window was command-z
>>> (undo). Apparently, the last "undoable" event in the Finder was the
>>> copying of those files, so it "undid" the copy. It seems reasonable
>>> that undoing a copy operation is equivalent to deleting, but when I
>>> delete files they at least end up in the trash where I can access
>>> them
>>> before emptying.
>>>
>>> Off the top of my head, I can't think of a time when I've deleted
>>> files from my startup drive and had them simply vanish, without a
>>> layover in the trash. Can you?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dane
>>>
>>> On Dec 29, 2011, at 4:54 PM, Michael P. Stupinski wrote:
>>>
>>>> Dane,
>>>>
>>>> I'm going to guess here, and maybe a better answer will be provided
>>>> by
>>>> someone. I don't know what process you kicked off to provide that
>>>> progress window, but I suspect that you simply did a bulk deletion
>>>> of
>>>> the pictures from your HD. The files didn't go anywhere. They
>>>> should
>>>> still be on your HD, just as with any deletion of files, until you
>>>> write over (with new files) the space where the files resided.
>>>> Use a
>>>> file recovery program as soon as possible to get back as many files
>>>> as
>>>> possible. Do little else (ideally nothing else) before doing this,
>>>> to
>>>> prevent more pictures from being overwritten. Look back in the
>>>> list
>>>> archives for a fairly recent discussion of file recovery programs.
>>>>
>>>> .............Mike
>>>>
>>>> On Dec 29, 2011, at 2:08 PM, Dane Robison wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> This is a weird problem...I'm not even sure how to construct a
>>>>> short
>>>>> but meaningful subject line. 10.5.8 and here's the scenario:
>>>>>
>>>>> 1. Copied almost 5000 photos from a compact flash camera card to
>>>>> my
>>>>> laptop, using Finder.
>>>>> 2. Did a bunch of other, unrelated work over the next several
>>>>> hours.
>>>>> 3. Hit command-z to undo something; whatever it was appears not to
>>>>> be
>>>>> undoable, because I got a little progress window showing "Undoing
>>>>> Copy
>>>>> of Almost 5000 Photos from Compact Flash Card"
>>>>>
>>>>> I canceled the operation immediately, but am left with only 89 of
>>>>> the
>>>>> nearly 5000 photos. The CF card is no longer in my possession and
>>>>> there's nothing in the trash. Where did those files go?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>> Dane
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

1c.

Re: Where did my files go?

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:33 pm (PST)



Howdy.

Dane, this is interesting.

I've been using Command z for undo since 1985 on my Macs.

I'm now using Lion.

However, I was not aware that the undo command it would ALSO undo
copying a file(s). This is news to me.

I wonder if this is a feature introduced more recently?

Perhaps it was introduced when the similar feature of copy/past
commands for files was introduced?

If anyone is using, for example, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, could you test
this?

Denver Dan

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 17:14:23 -0500, Dane Robison wrote:
> I should've been more clear that this is more of a curiosity than
> emergency. I can get the CF card back and copy the files again
> tonight. What I did to provide the progress window was command-z
> (undo). Apparently, the last "undoable" event in the Finder was the
> copying of those files, so it "undid" the copy. It seems reasonable
> that undoing a copy operation is equivalent to deleting, but when I
> delete files they at least end up in the trash where I can access them
> before emptying.
>
> Off the top of my head, I can't think of a time when I've deleted
> files from my startup drive and had them simply vanish, without a
> layover in the trash. Can you?
>
> Thanks,
> Dane

1d.

Re: Where did my files go?

Posted by: "OBrien" bco@hiwaay.net   conorboru

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:06 pm (PST)



On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 20:33:10 -0500, Denver Dan wrote:
> However, I was not aware that the undo command it would ALSO undo
> copying a file(s). This is news to me.
>
> I wonder if this is a feature introduced more recently?

The behavior is the same under OSX 10.4.11. Evidently, "Undo" undoes whatever was the last action. ("Redo" will undo the undo.)


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

O'Brien ––– –... .-. .. . -.
2a.

Re: Moving images from events to individual folders

Posted by: "Jim Showalter" jshowalt@mindspring.com   jshowalt94127

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:12 pm (PST)



I haven't really looked into this any, but it was my understanding of iPhoto that if you "moved" or "copied" photos from the "event" into which it got downloaded into an "album" that there remains only one copy of the photo on your computer, but you know have two links to the physical photo from two different places.

Some one knowledgable please follow up on that thought.

On Dec 29, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Jan Flood wrote:

> No, I'm just using the iphoto. I want to clean up the events and places by moving most of the images into individual folders/albums. I can move a copy of the image with no problem but a copy always stays in the mail file. I've tried so many times now I've got several copies of images in several places, LOL. Kept thinking maybe if I made a new folder and started over......
>
> ie, in iphoto, I have many images taken on a trip to Graceland this summer, and many more from a trip to New Orleans. All in the events file. I love them but don't want to have to scroll through them every time I want an image. I've made albums called Graceland and NO and tried to move the image from the events to the folder -- but as I say, it only puts a copy in the album and leaves the original in events. I know I'm repeating myself but not sure how to say it otherwise.
>
> If I add a new event, in the event file, I can Merge images but that isn't quite what I wanted to do.
>
> On Dec 29, 2011, at 11:14 AM, Forrest Leedy wrote:
>
> I just thought of something, are you doing this within a program and if so, what program?
>
> Jan Flood
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

2b.

Re: Moving images from events to individual folders

Posted by: "HAL9000" jrswebhome@yahoo.com   jrswebhome

Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:20 pm (PST)



If you choose to use iPhoto to store images, then you MUST think like iPhoto.
It isn't at all Apple-like, drag and drop. It is a DATABASE application:

You cannot drag and drop images into the iPhoto menu.
You must "Import into Library."
You must find the image in the Import window and Import to your iPhoto Library.
Once the file is imported, it becomes an "Event" within iPhoto.
At this point, drag the new event on top of whatever event you want it stored.
Then it becomes a part of whatever trip event you choose.

Jan, you and I chose iPhoto to store images, and we have to begin to think iPhoto DATABASE. Once I began to think DATABASE, iPhoto becomes a great storage medium.

One last item, you can delete a photo in iPhoto, but it will not be deleted
until you EMPTY the iPhoto TRASH.

And finally one more, I cannot go back and forth from iPhoto to Photoshop then back to iPhoto like iPhoto say I can. I don't care how many times I have tried, I MESS UP the DATABASE if I try to back and forth. What I do is to save a duplicate to my desktop, change the picture in Photoshop, the re-import into iPhoto. I've tried many ways, and nothing works except duplicating to desktop, working in Photoshop, then re-import.

But I still like iPhoto storing my images, even w this wacky working. John R

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jan Flood <jan.flood2@...> wrote:
>
> No, I'm just using the iphoto. I want to clean up the events and places by moving most of the images into individual folders/albums. I can move a copy of the image with no problem but a copy always stays in the mail file. I've tried so many times now I've got several copies of images in several places, LOL. Kept thinking maybe if I made a new folder and started over......
>
> ie, in iphoto, I have many images taken on a trip to Graceland this summer, and many more from a trip to New Orleans. All in the events file. I love them but don't want to have to scroll through them every time I want an image. I've made albums called Graceland and NO and tried to move the image from the events to the folder -- but as I say, it only puts a copy in the album and leaves the original in events. I know I'm repeating myself but not sure how to say it otherwise.
>
> If I add a new event, in the event file, I can Merge images but that isn't quite what I wanted to do.
>
> On Dec 29, 2011, at 11:14 AM, Forrest Leedy wrote:
>
> I just thought of something, are you doing this within a program and if so, what program?
>
> Jan Flood
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

3a.

Re: Hate Meeces to Pieces!

Posted by: "Don" y-groups.96705@hawaiiantel.net   don.96705

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:08 pm (PST)



Ian

I have to frequently clean my wife's Mighty Mouse. I soak a piece of old T-shirt with eyeglasses cleaner - the bottle is on the desk, window cleaner is downstairs. Tried to do the roll it upside-down on a flat surface - sorta works for a day or two. Now I place the wet cloth on my leg and press real hard, works much better. Only have to do it once a month or so now. With practice you can feel which direction the ball doesn't move. Roll the ball in that direction with your finger, then go back to on the wet cloth. Keep at it until the ball moves freely in all directions.

The ball appears dry when rolled with my finger so I have never done anything to dry it off.

Don at 21.9N 159.6W
2x2.93 GHz Mac Pro
OS X 10.7.2
6GB Ram

On Dec 29, 2011, at 12:01, Ian Gillis wrote:

> For once a nice, simple, mechanical problem - which I can't solve!
>
> My Mighty Mouse's scroll ball keeps sticking - I've read the
> instructions as below:

4a.

Re: Corrupted App?

Posted by: "Don" y-groups.96705@hawaiiantel.net   don.96705

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:47 pm (PST)



Donna

Its not clear how your iMac shutdown when the power failed. Was it

1) iMac shutdown as specified in
"System Preferences/Energy Saver/UPS/Shutdown Options".
Does not always work!
2) You did a manual Shut Down.
3) OS-X crashed because the UPS quit before either 1 or 2 above.

Knowing exactly how your iMac shutdown will be helpful in diagnosing the loss of data.

Don at 21.9N 159.6W
2x2.93 GHz Mac Pro
OS X 10.7.2
6GB Ram

On Dec 29, 2011, at 09:32, Donna Ells wrote:

> I have 27" i5 iMac, 10.6.8, quad core. Yesterday Dec 28, we experienced a
> power outage (not uncommon in this rural area). The iMacs are each on a
> battery back up surge protector. I was running Eudora on my iMac (I know, I
> know�. ....

5a.

Need advice on best software to transfer files from iPod back to iTu

Posted by: "sandysdharma" sandysdharma@yahoo.com   sandysdharma

Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:25 pm (PST)



I'd like to transfer tunes off of my iPods and into my MacBook's iTunes. I used something called podUP years ago to back up my tunes, but I seem to recall that it didn't allow easy transfer back into iTunes without scrambling titles, playlists, etc.

I'm hoping someone can recommend the best way to do this as seamlessly as possible...

Thanks,

Sandy

5b.

Re: Need advice on best software to transfer files from iPod back to

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:47 pm (PST)




On Dec 29, 2011, at 6:24 PM, sandysdharma wrote:

> I'd like to transfer tunes off of my iPods and into my MacBook's
> iTunes. I used something called podUP years ago to back up my
> tunes, but I seem to recall that it didn't allow easy transfer back
> into iTunes without scrambling titles, playlists, etc.

iPad.iTunes $30
http://www.crispsofties.com/iPod.iTunes.html

Phone To Mac $25
http://www.macroplant.com/phonetomac/

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

6a.

Re: Used iMac

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:04 pm (PST)




On Dec 29, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Keith Whaley wrote:

> N.A. Nada wrote:
> > The original OS 1.4.4 and the last OS it can use is 10.6.8.
>
> Two questions:
>
> Did you mis-type the 'original OS' version numbers?
>
> Two, what is it about this iMac that limits it to a maximum OS version
> of 10.6.8?
> He would have dual core on an Intel chip. I thought that was sufficient
> for Lion. Something I'm missing here.

Since the ones before Mac OS X 10.0 were called System, yes it is a typo.

I was lazy and used MacTracker to see what OS it would run. It was late and I was tired so that limits the OS.
6b.

Re: Used iMac

Posted by: "Keith Whaley" keith_w@dslextreme.com   keith9600

Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:57 am (PST)



N.A. Nada wrote:
>
> On Dec 29, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Keith Whaley wrote:
>
> > N.A. Nada wrote:
> > > The original OS 1.4.4 and the last OS it can use is 10.6.8.
> >
> > Two questions:
> >
> > Did you mis-type the 'original OS' version numbers?
> >
> > Two, what is it about this iMac that limits it to a maximum OS version
> > of 10.6.8?
> > He would have dual core on an Intel chip. I thought that was sufficient
> > for Lion. Something I'm missing here.

> Since the ones before Mac OS X 10.0 were called System, yes it is a typo.
>
> I was lazy and used MacTracker to see what OS it would run. It was late
> and I was tired so that limits the OS.

Hey, no problem at all.
Reason I was checking in was, I recognize my memory limitations, and
always figured I had once more forgotten something. sighhh. So...I ask.

Be well, keith

6c.

Re: Used iMac

Posted by: "Cherie Beauton" apple_mac_icat@yahoo.com   apple_mac_icat

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:30 am (PST)



Why can't I find these deals? :)

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 30, 2011, at 3:57 AM, Keith Whaley <keith_w@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> N.A. Nada wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 29, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Keith Whaley wrote:
>>
>>> N.A. Nada wrote:
>>>> The original OS 1.4.4 and the last OS it can use is 10.6.8.
>>>
>>> Two questions:
>>>
>>> Did you mis-type the 'original OS' version numbers?
>>>
>>> Two, what is it about this iMac that limits it to a maximum OS version
>>> of 10.6.8?
>>> He would have dual core on an Intel chip. I thought that was sufficient
>>> for Lion. Something I'm missing here.
>
>> Since the ones before Mac OS X 10.0 were called System, yes it is a typo.
>>
>> I was lazy and used MacTracker to see what OS it would run. It was late
>> and I was tired so that limits the OS.
>
> Hey, no problem at all.
> Reason I was checking in was, I recognize my memory limitations, and
> always figured I had once more forgotten something. sighhh. So...I ask.
>
> Be well, keith
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

7a.

Re: Printer issues w updates

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:47 pm (PST)




On Dec 22, 2011, at 6:30 AM, hester reik wrote:

> Just a point of information. The failure of duplex printing on my
> brother
> b/w occurred again after the most recent download. This is getting
> to be a
> pita.
> It's solved again, but irritating.

On another list we determined that the solution is to delete the
printer setup, and then download the older drivers directly from the
Brother Web site and install them.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

8a.

Re: Defragment Or Not To Defragment?

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:56 pm (PST)




On Dec 24, 2011, at 6:49 AM, Jim Hamm wrote:

> As a further comment on this subject, here's a video that clearly
> explains the mechanics
> of de-fragmentation and why it isn't usually necessary in OS X. I
> found the video to be informative and helpful....Jim

This was posted this week to another Mac discussion list by Drew
Janssen, a certified hard drive guru. He owns the hard drive
recovery company Drive Rescue:

Greetings, Listmates,

This is a cautionary tale of data loss, rather than a request for
help. It follows on my initial email asking for responses from WD
MyBook owners. This information applies to any and all brands of
drives, and may save you big money.

Quick Summary: Some Mac software is capable of creating enormous
files, far in excess of anything in prior years. Primary culprits
are movie editing software and audio editing software, but there are
others that do the same. Hard drives, however, are still failing at
about the same rate they always have, and those people who do not
back up may find themselves needing data recovery. If they've made
humongous files, though, they may find themselves in Big Trouble,
even if the drive functions physically and electronically. Why?
Because of file size limitations in data recovery software �both
consumer and professional.

Local case: I have here a drive used by a video producer. The
average file size is 2-5 Gb. Oh, sure, the final videos may be
smaller, but the files used to make those videos can be vast, even if
the final is only in the 5-15 minute range. The drive suffered an
electrical incident. All formatting and volume information was
erased, along with all file index information. Once I worked through
the formatting issues and dug into a clone of this (otherwise
functional) drive, I ran up against a wall. All the software I use,
whether consumer grade or professional, has file size limits in the 1
- 1.5 Gb size range. I verified this directly with the developers,
so I am not simply offering my opinion.

The reason for these limits is because of the way OS X stores file
location information. Keep in mind that the average large file on a
drive is scattered around, what we used to call "fragmented." Up
until the past few years, this was a real problem and we all ran
"defrag" programs on our drives to prevent performance issues.
Remember defrag programs? Perhaps you even still use them (good:
keep it up).

Recently we've been collectively lulled into thinking the OS would
handle file fragmentation -- and it has, beautifully. Oh, ok, so
defragging is a good idea, but it's not the Absolute Requirement it
was in the OS 7, 8 and 9 days. OS X does a great job of keeping
track of everything, and performance declines due to fragmentation
are less of a big deal.

BUT.... what if all that information about file location is blown to
perdition? AND what if the files it was tracking are hugely-huge,
like in the 2 Gb+ range?

If that happens, then you may run into the problem I'm seeing more
and more. Specifically, that data recovery software and systems are
unable to handle tracking of jillions of fragments to arrive at a
successful recovery of giant files. So if you have, for example, a 1
terrabyte (1 Tb) drive and it's filled up with Great Big Files, and
that drive suffers a terrible incident that wipes its index, you may
just be up the proverbial creek minus a paddle.

That's what occurred here. I was able to pull thousands of files
from a big drive that had been shocked, but ONLY those files at or
under 1 Gb in size. The client's important "target" files were all
in excess of 1.5 Gb, so although I could detect their presence
generally -- meaning I could determine "There's a lot of something on
here, like about 750 Gb of data," -- not one functional file over 1
Gb was recovered. Four different excellent systems were tried, each
running carefully for 1-2 days, and the results were always the same:
nothing useful of the large files.

So I give you this caution: If you are creating large files, whether
on a single drive or a RAID, I strongly suggest you double your
backups. It may be an inconvenience to keep two copies of
everything, but think of the pain you'll have when some precious
drive goes PFFHHHTTT and you discover your biggest files are beyond
the reach of today's recovery software. [Can it be done at all? Yes,
at great expense. Trust me, I know.... you will pay by the hour, and
the bill will be enormous.]

Perhaps this does not apply specifically to you, O Dear Reader, but
you may know an audio or video producer with whom you can share
this. Final Cut Pro X and previous versions, as well as Premier,
Director, and Motion (including version 5) all can make enormous
files. So can Ableton, ProTools, and Garageband. Even complex
Photoshop files can get gigantic. I've decided that if I'm creating
files even just above 500 Mb, I'm going to back them up to TWO places
rather than just one. I no longer have any confidence in the ability
of brand-name data recovery software to handle successful recovery of
really big files.

"A word to the wise.... "

Regards,

\\Drew
--------------------------------
Drew Janssen, MacDFI
Pres/CEO Drive Rescue, Inc.
Data Recovery & Forensics
www.driverescue.net
443-310-7920

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

9.

Handycam choices

Posted by: "Arjun Singhal" arjunsinghal@yahoo.com   arjunsinghal

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:39 pm (PST)



Hi

I'm contemplating on a handycam to make video recordings at youth events or create coverage at conferences and seminars where I am asked to present.

From the present list of camcorders on the Sony website - there're two kinds of cameras - ones with Hard Disks built in and others that have memory sticks. The price difference between the cameras is considerable.

For a long event, a hard disk would seem to be the camera to pick, but one would need extra battery packs to go while the memory stick version might seem to be useful in terms of price, and the part that I already own a couple of high-capacity high-speed memory cards that I use in my DSLR. Obviously, adding a few memory cards would serve purpose both ways.

My question to the group is, does anyone have experience with using memory cards for taking full HD 1080 videos? And what length of video can be recorded on a 16GB High Speed Memory card? Coz this year, we're planning to do developer conferences and summits as well, and if the memory card models will prove to be useless for lengthy recordings, then one might have to consider the hard disk models at a higher cost.

Can anyone recommend?

Regards,
Arjun
10.

SSD warning signs of failure

Posted by: "Ken" avlisk@cox.net   avliska

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:47 am (PST)



Back in the day when there were mechanical, spinning drives, there would frequently be new and odd noises in a hard drive indicating imminent failure.
Now that we all have solid state drives, are there any warning signs indicating a drive is about to fail? Or, is it just an on-and-off, good-or-bad proposition.
Thanks
Ken S.

11.

Interruption of iTunes radio streaming

Posted by: "Ken" avlisk@cox.net   avliska

Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:09 am (PST)



First, thanks to all who gave suggestions on why the iTunes radio streaming would stop. Still, no solution , but I have observed more which might help the diagnosis. It isn't that the computer is shutting down or going to sleep.

Rather, it's a box which says the stream is buffering that pops up, and the stream stops. With my old MacBook, this box would pop up, a blue bar would proceed across the box, and the stream would restart.

On my new MB Air, the box pops up, but there's no bar and no progress across the box. And, therefore, no resumption of the stream.
How do I get the computer to automatically kick start that buffering bar so the process will complete and the streaming will resume?
Thanks.
Ken S.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.