12/20/2011

[macsupport] Digest Number 8631

Messages In This Digest (14 Messages)

1a.
Re: Simple database From: Randy B. Singer
1b.
Re: Simple database From: Daly Jessup
1c.
Re: Simple database From: Randy B. Singer
1d.
Re: Simple database From: Les Streater
1e.
Re: Simple database From: Les Streater
2a.
Re: Google - Let it snow From: AnnP
3a.
Re: Lifehacker List of Free OSX programs From: Carmen Chase
4a.
Re: can't delete PNG From: Don
5a.
Re: Mac Virus From: imran khan
5b.
Re: Mac Virus From: Harry Flaxman
5c.
Re: Mac Virus From: imran khan
5d.
Re: Mac Virus From: Harry Flaxman
6a.
Re: Captcha failures From: Josephine Bacon
6b.
Re: Captcha failures From: Otto Nikolaus

Messages

1a.

Re: Simple database

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:48 pm (PST)




On Dec 19, 2011, at 2:45 PM, Les Streater wrote:

> I am looking for a simple basic database, I have Googled but not
> found much. Maybe I am phrasing the question wrong, or maybe there
> really is a limited choice!

Did you miss my post from yesterday listing a bunch of user friendly
database programs?

I'll send you the list via private e-mail.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

1b.

Re: Simple database

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:52 pm (PST)



On Dec 19, 2011, at 2:45 PM, Les Streater wrote:

> I am looking for a simple basic database, I have Googled but not found much. Maybe I am phrasing the question wrong, or maybe there really is a limited choice!
>
> I only need a very basic, limited programme, nothing as complex as Filemaker. Bento 4 seems to be the only option - anyone have any comments on this or suggestions for a better, simpler, cheaper programme?
>
> I did find one reference to a database within OpenOffice - can anyone supply more information? Does it work, is it any good, can I download just that part rather than the entire OpenOffice???

Yes, the database module in OpenOffice does work. Why not just download it and try it? I find Bento so "new" and "easy to use" that I can barely make sense of it.

Daly
1c.

Re: Simple database

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:02 pm (PST)




On Dec 19, 2011, at 5:48 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2011, at 2:45 PM, Les Streater wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a simple basic database, I have Googled but not
> > found much. Maybe I am phrasing the question wrong, or maybe there
> > really is a limited choice!
>
> Did you miss my post from yesterday listing a bunch of user friendly
> database programs?

Sorry, my post yesterday was to a different Mac discussion list.
[blush]

Here's the list (which does not include high-end products such as 4th
dimension and Helix):

NeoOffice (free)
http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php
LibreOffice (free)
http://www.libreoffice.org
(Office suites with included databases.)

Bento $49
http://www.filemaker.com/products/bento/overview.html?nav=products-bento

EagleData (free)
http://www.eaglesoft.de/eagle/eagledata.html

FrontBase (free if you forego support)
http://www.frontbase.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/FBWebSite.woa

Panorama Sheets ($40)
http://provue.com/panoramasheets/index.html

iList Data ($70)
http://www.lakewoodstudios.com/ilistdata/

iDatabase ($20)
http://www.apimac.com/idatabase/

iData ($70)
http://www.idata3.com/

Valentina ($50)
http://www.paradigmasoft.com/
http://www.valentina-db.com/

Papyrus $99 (an office suite that includes a database)
http://www.rom-logicware.com/

SuperCard $179
http://www.supercard.us/

Structured databases:

ScrapIt Pro $25
http://www.johnvholder.com/sipxdesc.html
(What I use personally)

InTouch With $50
http://www.intouchwith.com/pages/intouchwith.html

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

1d.

Re: Simple database

Posted by: "Les Streater" lesstreater@marpubs.demon.co.uk   linernutuk

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:01 am (PST)



Thanks for all the suggestions, a lot to look at!

I tried iDatabase, it looked simple enough for my needs, the website looked helpful and there was a trial version.

I downloaded it, tried to expand the dmg - permanent spinning beachball. Couldn't do anything in any programme, in the end had to resort to a physical power off.

Rebooted, tried again to expand the dmg, worked ok this time. Tried to open the programme, and again - permanent spinning beachball! Another forced power off.

It seems it does something to the Finder - possible? It blocks every way of quitting programmes, restart.

I don't know if anyone else has used this programme, but if anyone is tempted, be very very careful!

Les Streater
1e.

Re: Simple database

Posted by: "Les Streater" lesstreater@marpubs.demon.co.uk   linernutuk

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:21 am (PST)



Panic!

Since installing and removing iDatabase, I have lost all my externals!

Nothing shows in Network, have tried rebooting the drives, nothing. Have checked the Finder preferences, still says show hard discs on desk top

Suggestions please????

Les Streater
www.lesstreater.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: Google - Let it snow

Posted by: "AnnP" ann.paschal@ymail.com   ann.paschal@ymail.com

Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:18 pm (PST)





I didn't have to hold down the option key, only the trackpad. Such fun, thanks all.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@...> wrote:
>
> Howdy.
>
> No idea.
>
> On my SeaMonkey, after the Google of let it snow, the screen begins to
> snow and get foggy. When I press Option and keep it pressed and press
> the mouse button and drag, it cleans the snow and fog off (like a
> windshield scrapper)
>
> denver dan
>
>
>
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 12:48:24 -0500, Harry Flaxman wrote:
> > On Dec 19, 2011, at 12:35 PM, Denver Dan wrote:
> >
> >> Howdy.
> >>
> >> This may be old news for most.
> >>
> >> In the spirit of the holiday season, do a Google search and type "Let
> >> it snow."
> >>
> >> Wait just a moment.
> >>
> >> At some after the snow starts, try pressing Option and click-drag over
> >> screen with mouse arrow.
> >>
> >> Top of the Season to all!
> >
> > All it's doing here is highlighting text.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > Harry
> >
> >
> > Harry Flaxman
> > harry.flaxman@...
> >
> >
>

3a.

Re: Lifehacker List of Free OSX programs

Posted by: "Carmen Chase" s_c_chase@yahoo.com.ar   carmen_de_coghlan

Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm (PST)



excellent!

thanx for sharing

cheers,
carmen chase
buenos aires

________________________________
De: Robert <cookrd1@discoveryowners.com>
Para: macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com
Enviado: lunes, 19 de diciembre de 2011 16:27
Asunto: [macsupport] Lifehacker List of Free OSX programs


 
I found a few good ones I did not have. FYI, Camouflage is no longer free.

http://lifehacker.com/5826449/lifehacker-pack-for-mac-our-list-of-the-best-free-mac-downloads

Bob

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

Re: can't delete PNG

Posted by: "Don" y-groups.96705@hawaiiantel.net   don.96705

Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:37 pm (PST)



I recently decided to get rid of a bunch of old backup DVD's from when I got paid for fixing Windows PCs. Loaded each into a separate directory, them moved what I needed, trashed many duplicates. Got multiple copies of some MS Word .doc files which were "in use". Collected the .doc files in an "in-use" directory while looking for a solution.

I "Shut Down" most nights, doesn't help. [Kauai has very unreliable power and the UPS only lasts so long.]

Just deleted 35 "in-use" files to an empty trash can. Tried "Option" key w/ empty trash, didn't help - sorry Doug. "Secure Empty Trash" removed 54 files - thanks Bill.

Anybody have any comments on what the extra 19 files could have been?

Don at 21.9N 159.6W
Mac Pro 2-2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
OS X 10.7.2
6GB Ram

On Dec 19, 2011, at 09:14, Bill B. wrote:

> A secure delete will also delete the file.
>
> Bill
>
> At 3:45 PM -0800 12/18/11, Doug Yelmen wrote:
>> either hold down the "Option" key, use a piece of software like "Trash It," or simply log out and log back in,
>> it will then be trashed like you want.
>>
>> doug
>> Doug Yelmen
>> dougyelmen@earthlink.net
>>
>> On Dec 17, 2011, at 1:55 PM, Oneal Neumann wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> As part of backing up (both Time Machine and SuperDuper!) I cleared Trash. One file remained: a PNG screensnap.
>>>
>>> I got a warning that Trash clearing could not be completed because the PNG file "is in use", which it is/was not.
>>>
>>> An 'in-use' warning usually occurs (for me, at least) with pic files when Preview is open. This ain't a biggie hogging a lot of harddrive space. I can let it stew in Trash.

5a.

Re: Mac Virus

Posted by: "imran khan" sj.imran@gmail.com   sj.imran

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:37 pm (PST)



Thanks a lot brothers.

I did a clean install Snow Leopard server OS on a new hard drive ,
replicated the folder structure of the infected server. Installed Sophos
free edition.

Then did complete update of the OS to 10.6.8 and copied the infected
folder to the new one and monitored them from Windows machine.

I was surprised Sophos found thirteen virus and i deleted them , i didn't
repair as i don't want to take risk. To my surprise slowly the .vb files
started to disappear.

The fact is my friend didn't update the Java updates , he ignored them.
When i spoke to one of my engineer he hinted me to make sure Java is up to
date.

So assumption now is that the Virus / VB script has tried its level best
to excite in Mac environment , since it failed it recreated itself with
different name. So once everything was updated the OS started to stabilize.

And i also installed latest version of Nod 32 in all the PC and found many
virus in three laptops.

I requested them all to update all the software they own on both Mac and PC.

Now the situation seems to be stable. I will update you.

Thanks again.

As for my friends laptop no hope.

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Bob Cook <cookrd1@discoveryowners.com>wrote:

> **
>
>
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Keith Whaley <keith_w@dslextreme.com
> >wrote:
>
> > **
>
> > Since I have 2008, and your message above mentioned 2004 twice, but left
> >
> > out 2008, I'm just guessing one of them should have been 2008. Yes?
> >
> > keith whaley
> >
> > __._,_.__
> >
> No, MS Office 2004 did not have VBA capability. That is why a lot of
> people kept 2004 until 2011 came out.
>
>
> Bob
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5b.

Re: Mac Virus

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:05 am (PST)



On Dec 20, 2011, at 12:37 AM, imran khan wrote:

> Thanks a lot brothers.
>
> I did a clean install Snow Leopard server OS on a new hard drive ,
> replicated the folder structure of the infected server. Installed Sophos
> free edition.
>
> Then did complete update of the OS to 10.6.8 and copied the infected
> folder to the new one and monitored them from Windows machine.
>
> I was surprised Sophos found thirteen virus and i deleted them , i didn't
> repair as i don't want to take risk. To my surprise slowly the .vb files
> started to disappear.
>
> The fact is my friend didn't update the Java updates , he ignored them.
> When i spoke to one of my engineer he hinted me to make sure Java is up to
> date.
>
> So assumption now is that the Virus / VB script has tried its level best
> to excite in Mac environment , since it failed it recreated itself with
> different name. So once everything was updated the OS started to stabilize.
>
> And i also installed latest version of Nod 32 in all the PC and found many
> virus in three laptops.
>
> I requested them all to update all the software they own on both Mac and PC.
>
> Now the situation seems to be stable. I will update you.

I ran Sophos for awhile. It seems as if Sophos is geared more toward picking up Win type malware, and that's all I ever saw it do. The same seems to be true of most anti-malware programs for the Mac.

I did this as a test, basically. The program seemed to occupy too many system resources, so I uninstalled it after about a month and I'm 'bare-butt' again.

I really have never found a need to use one of these in the 8 years I've had OS X running on my machines.

Harry

Harry Flaxman
harry.flaxman@comcast.net

5c.

Re: Mac Virus

Posted by: "imran khan" sj.imran@gmail.com   sj.imran

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:21 am (PST)



I agree with Harry. I have been using Mac since 1996. started of with os 6.

The virus i had found was called Red Star it was infecting Macs with ATI
graphic card in system 7 and 8. Norton was good in repairing it.

Later when i started to work for Apple dealer 2006 late , i encountered a
client with 10.4 on G5 having virus , i used norton and found virus in his
Quark and illustrator file.

In 2007 there was a client with a virus which was replicating the folders
with .exe extension and after installing norton i found the Open type font
from Windows was infecting the system through Illustrator and Quark files.

whatever it is i love Mac 

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Harry Flaxman
<harry.flaxman@comcast.net>wrote:

> **
>
>
> On Dec 20, 2011, at 12:37 AM, imran khan wrote:
>
> > Thanks a lot brothers.
> >
> > I did a clean install Snow Leopard server OS on a new hard drive ,
> > replicated the folder structure of the infected server. Installed Sophos
> > free edition.
> >
> > Then did complete update of the OS to 10.6.8 and copied the infected
> > folder to the new one and monitored them from Windows machine.
> >
> > I was surprised Sophos found thirteen virus and i deleted them , i didn't
> > repair as i don't want to take risk. To my surprise slowly the .vb files
> > started to disappear.
> >
> > The fact is my friend didn't update the Java updates , he ignored them.
> > When i spoke to one of my engineer he hinted me to make sure Java is up
> to
> > date.
> >
> > So assumption now is that the Virus / VB script has tried its level best
> > to excite in Mac environment , since it failed it recreated itself with
> > different name. So once everything was updated the OS started to
> stabilize.
> >
> > And i also installed latest version of Nod 32 in all the PC and found
> many
> > virus in three laptops.
> >
> > I requested them all to update all the software they own on both Mac and
> PC.
> >
> > Now the situation seems to be stable. I will update you.
>
> I ran Sophos for awhile. It seems as if Sophos is geared more toward
> picking up Win type malware, and that's all I ever saw it do. The same
> seems to be true of most anti-malware programs for the Mac.
>
> I did this as a test, basically. The program seemed to occupy too many
> system resources, so I uninstalled it after about a month and I'm
> 'bare-butt' again.
>
> I really have never found a need to use one of these in the 8 years I've
> had OS X running on my machines.
>
> Harry
>
> Harry Flaxman
> harry.flaxman@comcast.net
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5d.

Re: Mac Virus

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:42 am (PST)



On Dec 20, 2011, at 4:21 AM, imran khan wrote:

> I agree with Harry. I have been using Mac since 1996. started of with os 6.
>
> The virus i had found was called Red Star it was infecting Macs with ATI
> graphic card in system 7 and 8. Norton was good in repairing it.
>
> Later when i started to work for Apple dealer 2006 late , i encountered a
> client with 10.4 on G5 having virus , i used norton and found virus in his
> Quark and illustrator file.
>
> In 2007 there was a client with a virus which was replicating the folders
> with .exe extension and after installing norton i found the Open type font
> from Windows was infecting the system through Illustrator and Quark files.
>
> whatever it is i love Mac 

Absolutely. There were several viruses for Mac OS prior to OS X. Quite a few were floppy based in those days.

Not sure if there were any really devastating malware, but there were plenty of tries.

Harry

Harry Flaxman
harry.flaxman@comcast.net

6a.

Re: Captcha failures

Posted by: "Josephine Bacon" bacon@langservice.com   baconandeggs_2001

Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:58 pm (PST)



Dear Paul,

Thanks so much for your helpful suggestions, no one else replied to
me. I have just contacted the company in question who ASSURED me I was
the ONLY person who had had this problem. Maybe they should buy me a
white stick! The real answer is that I was the only person who
bothered to tell them, the others just gave up. I hate Captcha anyway,
there are other, much more intelligent tests like that, such as asking
you to add up two numbers, and another cute one where you have to say
how many top hats there are, I don't know the names of these programs
but they work better than Captcha because they never go wrong in my
experience.
Josephine Bacon
Tamr Translations
197 Kings Cross Road
London WC1X 9DB
Tel: 020 7 278 9490

On 19 Dec 2011, at 18:10, paul smith wrote:

> Two tactics that I have used successfully:
> 1. Keep reclicking the reload button *without* entering any text. In
> some systems, this will produce simpler and easier captchas.
> 2. Use the Speech button to hear what the captcha sounds like before
> trying to enter it.
> --
> PSmith
> MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.7.2
> iPhone 4S 64 GB, iOS 5.0.1
>
> On Dec 19, 2011, at 3:29 AM, Josephine Bacon wrote:
>
> Dear All,
> I have just had the frustrating experience of trying to sign up at a
> website, filling in all the pernickety little details only to find the
> Captcha words at the bottom will not work for me. I tried about six
> times, faithfully copying what had been written and giving up in the
> end in sheer despair.
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6b.

Re: Captcha failures

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:22 am (PST)



Harry Flaxman replied soon after your message. Did you not get that?

Otto

On 20 December 2011 07:58, Josephine Bacon <bacon@langservice.com> wrote:

> Dear Paul,
>
> Thanks so much for your helpful suggestions, no one else replied to
> me. I have just contacted the company in question who ASSURED me I was
> the ONLY person who had had this problem. Maybe they should buy me a
> white stick! The real answer is that I was the only person who
> bothered to tell them, the others just gave up. I hate Captcha anyway,
> there are other, much more intelligent tests like that, such as asking
> you to add up two numbers, and another cute one where you have to say
> how many top hats there are, I don't know the names of these programs
> but they work better than Captcha because they never go wrong in my
> experience.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.