7/06/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9639

9 New Messages

Digest #9639
1a
Is this a deal worth buying? by "Louise Stewart" pudgybulldog
1b
Re: Is this a deal worth buying? by "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01
1c
Re: Is this a deal worth buying? by "Chris Jones" bobstermcbob
2a
Re: External hard drive question by "Paul Hill" hlecptr
4a
transferring files by "Louise Stewart" pudgybulldog
4b
Re: transferring files by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Messages

Fri Jul 5, 2013 7:47 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Louise Stewart" pudgybulldog

Office for Mac Home & Student 2011 - 1 Pack [Old Version]$74.39

My version of Office is pretty old and won't work on my Mac Mini so the few times I need it, I have to switch to my G4. I stumbled upon this while looking for something else and since the price seems good, I guess it would be a good deal, right? It's an open box, it says, but the seller has a 95% positive rating.

I nearly never use Office, but am sometimes sent a .docx and my G4 will only open .doc so I have to ask people to re-send in the older format.

Louise

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fri Jul 5, 2013 8:04 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

> My version of Office is pretty old and won't work on my Mac Mini so the few times I need it, I have to switch to my G4. I stumbled upon this while looking for something else and since the price seems good, I guess it would be a good deal, right? It's an open box, it says, but the seller has a 95% positive rating.
>
> I nearly never use Office, but am sometimes sent a .docx and my G4 will only open .doc so I have to ask people to re-send in the older format.
>
> Louise

I had the strong suspicion that there MUST be a simple way to open .docx files without sending more money to MS.

I found this on the web:

> Viewing a .docx file on a Mac
> If your trying to view that .docx file while working from a Mac, here is a simple solution.
>
> Rename the .docx extension to .zip
> Unzip the file
> Open Safari and click File > Open File
> Navigate to the document.xml file in your extracted zip directory. For example: filename/word/document.xml
> Open
> If all goes well, you should now be able to read the .docx file from Safari using your Mac.
>
>>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fri Jul 5, 2013 8:11 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Chris Jones" bobstermcbob

On 05/07/13 15:46, Louise Stewart wrote:
> Office for Mac Home & Student 2011 - 1 Pack [Old Version]$74.39
>
> My version of Office is pretty old and won't work on my Mac Mini so the few times I need it, I have to switch to my G4. I stumbled upon this while looking for something else and since the price seems good, I guess it would be a good deal, right? It's an open box, it says, but the seller has a 95% positive rating.
>
> I nearly never use Office, but am sometimes sent a .docx and my G4 will only open .doc so I have to ask people to re-send in the older format.

If its just for occasionally use, why not just install the free
LibreOffice ??

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Chris

>
> Louise
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Fri Jul 5, 2013 4:43 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Paul Hill" hlecptr

Disk Utility was what I was looking for and it worked for my issue. After 25 years of using PC's I'm still hunting around for things on Mac. Thanks to all who responded.

Paul

Fri Jul 5, 2013 5:31 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Paul,

FYI, there are many multi-platform members on the list, along with many switchers. Don't be afraid to say, "Hey, I'm new to OS X or iOS, and I need to know what the Apple equivalent is of X from Windows is called." You won't get jumped on.

And we can more quickly identify what you need.

Since you were fluent in Windows, one of the hardest things you will have to learn is the vocabulary under Apple. After that, Help is up in the Menu Bar. That will often point you to any built-in apps in OS X.

I had to learn the vocabulary for Windows, years back for work. F1 and vocabulary were my teachers.

Brent

On Jul 5, 2013, at 4:35 PM, Paul Hill wrote:

Disk Utility was what I was looking for and it worked for my issue. After 25 years of using PC's I'm still hunting around for things on Mac. Thanks to all who responded.

Paul

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fri Jul 5, 2013 5:21 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

John,

I wouldn't bother either unless it reoccurs in the future. I would just move on.

Brent

On Jul 5, 2013, at 6:47 AM, redhillsranger wrote:

Brent:

If I were, perhaps retired, and had some time on my hands, I'd go back to Apple with my MB Pro and MB Air and my phone and try to solve this mystery.

Until that time comes, or I discover the equivalent of a Mac Sherlock Holmes, I'm letting the cloud bank alone!

John

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@...> wrote:
>
> John:
>
> I would hope so, but you did not mention that. Assumption is the mother of all screw ups. It is sometimes good to cover the basics again.
>
> And the techs can not always give you an reason why, especially not knowing the total system. And like you implied, if it is fixed, don't waste any more time on it.
>
> Brent
>
>
> On Jul 4, 2013, at 7:28 AM, redhillsranger wrote:
>
> Brent:
>
> Believe me we went through all that at the Apple store. That was not the issue. We were only syncing through "the cloud" and the duplicates kept replicating.
>
> To this day no one at Apple Tech support or the local genius crowd can tell me why this happened.
>
> I've a new MB Air and have no intentions of wasting a day or two of my practice trying to puzzle out that mystery.
>
> John
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fri Jul 5, 2013 7:55 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Louise Stewart" pudgybulldog

I just bought CS5 for my Mac Mini but haven't installed it yet so I used Illustrator 10 on my G4 to design a quickie logo for a friend. I have a switch on my monitor so I can go to the G4 or to the Mini. I opened Mail on the G4 and attempted to put several versions of the logo (.ai, .eps, .pdf) on an email to send to my friend. For whatever reason -- maybe because the G4 is so slow??? -- I can't get the files onto the email. So, what to do? Is there a way to see both computers on the monitor at the same time and drag the files over to the Mini?

Keep in mind that I'm not very technical, so I need EASY answers. :-) Thanks.

Louise

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fri Jul 5, 2013 9:11 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

You should be able to send the Illustrator logo from either computer.

Maybe the Illustrator files are too large?

Try sending them separately.

Try compressing each file and sending the zip compressed file (see the
Compress command under the Finder's File menu).

You can also easily network the old Mac and the MacMini and move the
files via the network from one computer to the other.

You can network them with WiFi, with Ethernet, and even with Bluetooth
if both have that feature installed.

After you have a network connection running (WiFi or Ethernet wired),
you go to System Preferences, open the Sharing panel, and for full file
sharing, turn on File Sharing with a check mark.

Then you can open a Finder window on one computer and in the Sidebar
you should see the computer(s) on the network and a Connect
icon/button.

The easy way is once you have a connection, meaning you can see the
other computer's icon on your computer's Desktop or in a Finder window,
you can just drag any files to the Public folder on the other computer.

In Users folder, in your User Account, there is always a Public
folder. This is for easy sharing of files between computers on a
network.

Denver Dan

On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 22:55:18 -0400, Louise Stewart wrote:
> I just bought CS5 for my Mac Mini but haven't installed it yet so I
> used Illustrator 10 on my G4 to design a quickie logo for a friend. I
> have a switch on my monitor so I can go to the G4 or to the Mini. I
> opened Mail on the G4 and attempted to put several versions of the
> logo (.ai, .eps, .pdf) on an email to send to my friend. For whatever
> reason -- maybe because the G4 is so slow??? -- I can't get the files
> onto the email. So, what to do? Is there a way to see both computers
> on the monitor at the same time and drag the files over to the Mini?
>
> Keep in mind that I'm not very technical, so I need EASY answers. :-)
> Thanks.
>
> Louise

Fri Jul 5, 2013 10:56 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Dave C" davec2468

I like seeing my home page (my preferred search engine, Startpage.com) when I open a new window as well as when I open a new tab. Until recently I couldn't find how to do this. I was told it was impossible.

For others who have been searching for this, here it is:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/new-tab-page-show-hide-and-customize-top-sites

Scroll down, it's there.

Cheers,
Dave
We are making changes based on your feedback, Thank you !
The Yahoo! Groups Product Blog
GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE